I believe my church is withholding information from a police investigation

Last week, the youth pastor at my old church left for a new job as a senior pastor in Texas. A prominent staff member, Jacob, would be stepping up as the new youth pastor along with another guy.

A couple days ago, Jacob was arrested for child molestation accusations. I won't go into the details, but I will say that this case is getting uglier and uglier with each news update about what was going on.

I wondered what my old church would do about this. Jacob was in 1 of every 3 posts on their social media. He was a major part of the youth staff there. I looked at the church's page, and sure enough all of those posts with and by Jacob have been deleted. I thought it no big deal.

Then I watched a news update. They had questioned the church and the church said that "Jacob was a member and was not part of the paid staff." in an attempt to reassure people about the situation.

But this is a half-truth. Jacob was much more than a member. Apparently, not many people knew that Jacob was the youth pastor-to-be. Jacob was not paid staff (at least not yet) but he was staff! He was a worship leader, a small group leader of at least 1 boys group, a preacher for some sermons, helped with the kids sunday school ministry and had his own office. He was there during the week working on youth event operations for things like the Vacation Bible School. That man was a staff member. He just wasn't paid. And he probably did more than most of the paid staff members.

I've had a couple run-ins with Jacob so I know full-well his involvement. But what the news is reporting seems like they were unsuccessful in getting this info from the church.

My question to you all is:

If a church is deleting their posts off social media without first handing it over to authorities and being clear on Jacob's position in their leadership team, aren't they putting the interests of their organization over the safety of the children?

• Like 1
UpwardForward

I would think so. Safety of their children and safety of future children.

Child molestation can be difficult to prove by the victim. You are quite right to keep an eye on the situation and for signs of cover up or proof that could help the victim or potential future victims.

A number of reasons for the church to attempt to distance themselves from this, but not helping the victims.

Edited by UpwardForward
  • Like 1
  • Author
Do you know if any of the child molestation charges are related to any children from your old church?

I don't know. i just know that he was around boys damn near all the time.

I don't know. i just know that he was around boys damn near all the time.

My guess is that the police already know all they need to know from the church or they're in the process of gathering info still, and the church at this point is just doing damage control after the fact. I assume there likely wasn't anything overtly criminal in the public FB posts that involved him.

• Author
My guess is that the police already know all they need to know from the church or they're in the process of gathering info still, and the church at this point is just doing damage control after the fact. I assume there likely wasn't anything overtly criminal in the public FB posts that involved him.

Yes, however on the news, it appears the authorities have no idea that he was not just some member of the church. That's what makes me ask the question.

Yes, however on the news, it appears the authorities have no idea that he was not just some member of the church. That's what makes me ask the question.

I understand. Chances are tho the police haven't shared everything they know with the media.

Are you considering telling them the extent of his church association in case they're not aware?

This happened in a church near where I used to live. And yes, in that case the church hem-hawed around and didn't give the full story either.

What a HORRIBLE witness. The church, of all organizations, should be transparent and honest.

Technically, if someone is not on the payroll, they are not staff. BUT if this man was that involved and around children that much, then the authorities need to know.

You know, if it was my church, I would just flat out ask the leaders/pastor if they have been honest with the police about Jacob's actual level of involvement in the youth programs.

There comes a time when this "Christian protecting their own" routine goes too far.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

How do you know the church lied to the police?

The media make up whatever stories they want and report them... it doesn't sound like you have much reason to believe that the church has been anything but fully cooperative with the police. Deleting social media posts by him that have nothing to do with the investigation is not hindering the police, and I don't blame the church for disassociating themselves with him.

• Author

Well for one, I think it's quite un-Christ like to disassociate with Jacob entirely because of a sin. Then again, technically, no one really goes by the bible or Jesus' example. It's all convenience really.

But yes, Gunslinger, of course I considered the possibility that the news is reporting in a way to protect the church as well.

My thing is this: The whole truth of Jacob's involvement is not being reported. The people on the news channel facebook page are wanting answers. Some members of the church Jacob went to have commented in a way that obscures the truth.

And this is what I have a problem with. When you are trying to protect your organization more than you are being truthful with the parents of the city. Why would a church withhold the truth (as the news makes it seem) instead of disclosing it?

I can think of no other reason than the fact that it would hinder church operations. I happen to think that this is disgusting. Disassociate with Jacob, sure. But when people ask you "Was Jacob more than just a member?" and "Was Jacob just handed the torch when the former youth pastor stepped down?" you better answer truthfully.

Well for one, I think it's quite un-Christ like to disassociate with Jacob entirely because of a sin. Then again, technically, no one really goes by the bible or Jesus' example. It's all convenience really.

But yes, Gunslinger, of course I considered the possibility that the news is reporting in a way to protect the church as well.

My thing is this: The whole truth of Jacob's involvement is not being reported. The people on the news channel facebook page are wanting answers. Some members of the church Jacob went to have commented in a way that obscures the truth.

And this is what I have a problem with. When you are trying to protect your organization more than you are being truthful with the parents of the city. Why would a church withhold the truth (as the news makes it seem) instead of disclosing it?

I can think of no other reason than the fact that it would hinder church operations. I happen to think that this is disgusting. Disassociate with Jacob, sure. But when people ask you "Was Jacob more than just a member?" and "Was Jacob just handed the torch when the former youth pastor stepped down?" you better answer truthfully.

We are told to avoid all appearance of evil.

When someone has been a constant and integral part of ministries in the church, and then they basically disappear from the church media after an accusation, you know what that looks like? Hiding and deception.

• Like 1
  • Author

Omg! That's what I was saying, Autumnnight! I had an old friend who is on the part-time paid staff there. I just asked him a couple of questions about it and it made him quite upset. He insisted that it was just to avoid drama ... which I might understand, except they've deleted literally any and everything with Jacob in it.

It's like they want it to appear that he wasn't ever a part. In my opinion, the mature and responsible thing to do would have been to acknowledge his true role and involvement and then renounce him or whatever you have to do to protect your flock.

Just yesterday, they posted something new that made it very clear how to distinguish between paid staff on non-paid staff. And they've never posted anything like that before EVER. And I said to my friend, "don't you think it's very convenient that they would post something like that at this time?"

Imagine you have a son, and cookies start going missing out of a jar. And once you notice the cookies start going missing, you bring it up to him. Your son denies it, but the next conversation he starts with you (on a different day), he begins with, "Good morning. I didn't take any cookies and I never have. How was your day?"

To try and make it seem as something it wasn't ... that isn't right.

Sadly, the knee jerk reaction of much of the church to perceived persecution is to always defend the church or the Christian whether they are right or wrong.

This is not wise.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

It may not take anymore than a phone call.

Call the police dept of that jurisdiction, ask for the detective in charge of the case - or his phone number.

Tell him you know of Jacob's affiliation with the church.

The reason I think this is important is if the church is not disclosing this, there may be other things the church may be concealing.

It will be only then, that you will be certain that law enforcement has the same information that you do.

• Like 1