Hundreds Gather for Unveiling of Satanic Statue in Detroit

TheFinalWord

DETROIT – A controversial statue that was once going to be installed on the Oklahoma State Capitol’s front lawn was unveiled in Detroit.

The Satanic Temple unveiled the bronze goat-headed statue in Detroit over the weekend.

According to WDIV, hundreds of supporters and protesters turned up for the event.

The monument was originally intended to be located next to the Ten Commandments monument in Oklahoma City until the Oklahoma State Supreme Court banned religious displays on Capitol grounds, including the Ten Commandments monument.

The Baphomet monument features the devil in goat form.

“We decided to go with that because it is a fairly traditional character,” said Lucien Greaves, with The Satanic Temple. “It also offers a lap that visitors can come to sit on, have their picture taken with.”

After the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruled that the Ten Commandments Monument must be removed from the state Capitol, the Satanic Temple was forced to find a new home for Baphomet.

“The entire point of our effort was to offer a monument that would complement and contrast the Ten Commandments, reaffirming that we live in a nation that respects plurality, a nation that refuses to allow a single viewpoint to co-opt the power and authority of government institutions,” Greaves told the Washington Post. “Given the Court’s ruling, TST no longer has any interest in pursuing placement of the Baphomet monument on Oklahoma’s Capitol grounds.”

Greaves told The Washington Post the statue will not remain in Detroit. Right now, they plan on installing the statue in Arkansas, where the legislature approved a privately funded monument of the Ten Commandments at the state’s Capitol.

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord

To Weed Out Protesters at Last Night’s Event, The Satanic Temple Had Attendees Transfer Their Souls to Satan

Here’s the actual soul-transferring contract:

I agree that by signing this document under any name, given or adopted, actual or pseudonymous, I am hereby avowing my soul to Satan (aka Abbadon, aka Lucifer, aka Beelzebub, aka The Antichrist). I do
so
knowing that He (aka The Fallen One, aka The Father of Lies) or any of His representatives may choose to collect my eternal soul at any time, with or without notice. I understand that my signature or mark representing any name, real or made up, upon these papers constitutes a lasting and eternal contract, and that there will be no further negotiations on the matter of my eternal soul.

TaraMaiden2
To Weed Out Protesters at Last Night’s Event, The Satanic Temple Had Attendees Transfer Their Souls to Satan

I agree that by signing this document under any name, given or adopted, actual or pseudonymous, I am hereby avowing my soul to Satan (aka Abbadon, aka Lucifer, aka Beelzebub, aka The Antichrist). I do
so
knowing that He (aka The Fallen One, aka The Father of Lies) or any of His representatives may choose to collect my eternal soul at any time, with or without notice. I understand that my signature or mark representing any name, real or made up, upon these papers constitutes a lasting and eternal contract, and that there will be no further negotiations on the matter of my eternal soul.

That's hilarious! Like that means diddly-squat!

pureinheart

so

Biblically speaking, what do you make of this- can they 'sign' this contract and literally sign their souls away accruing to God?

TaraMaiden2
Biblically speaking, what do you make of this- can they 'sign' this contract and literally sign their souls away accruing to God?

It's not worth the paper it's written on.

Trust me, it's just a daft publicity move....

• Like 1
pureinheart
I'm a happy girl.... :laugh::D

Carrie, if you don't mind me asking, and please understand my knowledge concerning Satanism is limited, are you guys into the sacrifice stuff? There are a lot of Covens several miles away and they do preform the sacrifices.

TaraMaiden2

I think he was IN the money. Why ruin a great story with the truth?

Carrie, if you don't mind me asking, and please understand my knowledge concerning Satanism is limited, are you guys into the sacrifice stuff? There are a lot of Covens several miles away and they do preform the sacrifices.

Yes.

But a Christian's belief and concept of what is a sacrifice is woefully misunderstood to what actually happens.

And this is not the thread for that.

• Like 1
pureinheart
I think he was IN the money. Why ruin a great story with the truth?

Ya, that can happen. I was referring to his teaching on Satanism... Do you remember him?

TaraMaiden2

Hopefully they go round kidnapping those irritating, badly behaved young spoilt brats who insist on behaving appallingly in public places, screaming their heads off and throwing tantrums, and generally making a great big fat nuisance of themselves...

That would be a great start....

TaraMaiden2
Ya, that can happen. I was referring to his teaching on Satanism... Do you remember him?

Why would I remember him?

I'm in the UK. We have our own news to worry about, like bailing Greece out of an economic crisis, what to do about unemployment and immigration, and our Health Service cracking under the strain.

I know, trivia by comparison, but nevertheless....

pureinheart
Yes.

But a Christian's belief and concept of what is a sacrifice is woefully misunderstood to what actually happens.

And this is not the thread for that.

Like Christianity, I would assume that there are different groups that do different things- like the Wiccan's for instance... not trying to goad you into further discussion meant for another thread.

pureinheart
Hopefully they go round kidnapping those irritating, badly behaved young spoilt brats who insist on behaving appallingly in public places, screaming their heads off and throwing tantrums, and generally making a great big fat nuisance of themselves...

That would be a great start....

Somehow I get the feeling your not kidding ...:sick:

Like Christianity, I would assume that there are different groups that do different things

Correct.

like the Wiccan's for instance...

Done that too.

not trying to goad you into further discussion meant for another thread.

Just an FYI. I am not a Satanist - but have studied it and dabbled (with Anton LaVey's daughter, Zeena) many, many years ago.

TaraMaiden2
Somehow I get the feeling your not kidding ...:sick:

"There's many a true word said in jest...."

(After Geoffrey Chaucer, C.1390).

• Author
TheFinalWord

I am just copying and pasting the news stories. Story is trending and thought it would be interesting to discuss.

I think it is foolish. However,

so it is not eternally binding.
pureinheart
I am just copying and pasting the news stories. Story is trending and thought it would be interesting to discuss.

I think it is foolish. However,

so it is not eternally binding.

It is interesting. LOL, it reminded me of the 'golden calf'...

These people are taking it very serious, aren't they?

I should mention that the statue is pretty incorrect. Originally, it had female breasts and a full penis instead of a medical caduceus. The change was to make sure the government couldn't use "obscenity" as a reason for not displaying it. Also, the statue is of Baphomet (as designed by Eliphas Levi), who isn't actually supposed to be Satan.

These people are taking it very serious, aren't they?

Not the statue. But what it stands for - that freedom of religion should not discount any belief.

pureinheart
I should mention that the statue is pretty incorrect. Originally, it had female breasts and a full penis instead of a medical caduceus. The change was to make sure the government couldn't use "obscenity" as a reason for not displaying it. Also, the statue is of Baphomet (as designed by Eliphas Levi), who isn't actually supposed to be Satan.

Not the statue. But what it stands for - that freedom of religion should not discount any belief.

I meant signing their souls over to Satan. I know absolutely zero about the statue and it's meaning, but assumed that Satanists take that seriously in one form or another.

SycamoreCircle

What nonsense. If I believed in any of what they believed, I'd be embarrassed. It's the equivalent of the theatre of Peter Popoff.

autumnnight
Have you ever heard of Mike Warnke?

I learned a lot about Satanism from him... ya I know the rumors concerning his ministry-

Mike Warnke, Christian Solidarity International Respond to Ho... | Christianity Today

... but I think he was on the money

I hate to tell you, but years ago Mike was exposed as a fraud. He was never part of the church of satan. All of it was a lie.

Just like saying "the sinner's prayer" without heart meaning is just words, saying that thing a few posts up is the same.

BUT, this is a good example of what inclusion of religion in government WILL look like in 2015, whether anyone likes it or not. Because we are NOT a theocracy, then school prayer means ALL prayer, not just the Lord's Prayer. Religious icons at government buildings means ALL religions. That is how our country's reality IS in 2015.

So we need to think real hard before we push for certain things. Because no matter what we think our founding fathers meant or what kind of utopia we'd "like" to see....reality is the above.

Which is why I repeatedly say that our hope is not gonna come from Washington or laws or protests or rants or signs or or or

We already know what changes the world. And it isn't politics.