Sam Harris Knows God

Sam Harris states:

"Some people define God as pure consciousness or being synonymous with the laws of nature."

However..

"Some people believe that God is an invisible deity whose especially concerned about what we do. And he's especially concerned about what we do while naked."

(I'm in love.)

• Like 1
amaysngrace

He's smart to capitalize on his PhD this way.

Did you buy any of his books?

• Author
He's smart to capitalize on his PhD this way.

Did you buy any of his books?

I've listened to many of his debates. He is very calm, rational and logical with his arguments and I tend to agree with many of his views.

Did you read his books?

amaysngrace
I've listened to many of his debates. He is very calm, rational and logical with his arguments and I tend to agree with many of his views.

Did you read his books?

Nope. I only worship one God. :)

amaysngrace
I understand. You believe in a traditional God. Do you study the Bible?

I don't study it, no. Have you ever studied it?

amaysngrace
I have and found that it doesn't work for me.

That's cool. Whatever works for you is probably best but can I ask why it was so important for you to give this man's credentials?

• Author
That's cool. Whatever works for you is probably best but can I ask why it was so important for you to give this man's credentials?

It seems valid to topic. My guess is that you don't care for Mr. Harris.

I agree with Harris' belief that religion will be the ruin of the human civilization. In fact, it already is that way. Atheists unfortunately are more discriminated against than theists (or religious believers). It's ridiculous. Religion tries to remain relevant by discrediting actual science with its supernatural silliness. What's the most shocking to me is that people would rather believe supernatural silliness than believe actual cold, hard, facts of science.

• Like 1
amaysngrace
It seems valid to topic.

Well if that's true then may I add.....

I agree with Harris' belief that religion will be the ruin of the human civilization. In fact, it already is that way. Atheists unfortunately are more discriminated against than theists (or religious believers). It's ridiculous. Religion tries to remain relevant by discrediting actual science with its supernatural silliness. What's the most shocking to me is that people would rather believe supernatural silliness than believe actual cold, hard, facts of science.

Pope Francis holds a Masters in chemistry so I don't really see your point.

• Author

I don't understand the Cosmos and why we are here. It does seem pointless. If there is a knowing, watching God then why does he let so many live in suffering? Good vs. Evil? Rewards and Punishments? No. That is Black and White thinking which is pathological.

The world spins and one day will stop. Everything living now will one day be not. I don't think when we die we'll get answers because there aren't any.

I like that science can provide some information on evolution but why any of this is at all is beyond me. Religion is terrifying and is used to harm and separate. Sometimes it is used to do kind deeds but at this point I think the bad outweighs the benefits.

It would be nice to know that what we do has meaning but it might not.

Well if that's true then may I add.....

Pope Francis holds a Masters in chemistry so I don't really see your point.

The fact that Pope Francis still believes in supernatural silliness and touts it as credible is precisely my point.

I don't care if the Pope has 3 science degrees, because he still believes in supernatural silliness which he promotes himself an expert in.

• Author
I enjoyed his essays "Lying" and "Free Will"

I didn't read it. What struck you the most in his writing?

I don't understand the Cosmos and why we are here. It does seem pointless. If there is a knowing, watching God then why does he let so many live in suffering? Good vs. Evil? Rewards and Punishments? No. That is Black and White thinking which is pathological.

The world spins and one day will stop. Everything living now will one day be not. I don't think when we die we'll get answers because there aren't any.

I like that science can provide some information on evolution but why any of this is at all is beyond me. Religion is terrifying and is used to harm and separate. Sometimes it is used to do kind deeds but at this point I think the bad outweighs the benefits.

It would be nice to know that what we do has meaning but it might not.

Nothing we do has any meaning, except the meaning we give to ourselves and to others. There is no meaning to life except the meaning that you choose to give it. Perception. It's all about perception.

There is no point wasting time worrying about "what if" after life and the universe ends. The only point is the here and now.

Religion promotes delusion, murders people and destroys cultures in its name. Christian missionaries are essentially colonists, set out to destroy other cultures in the name of good will, because the goal of Christianity is to assimilate the world and every culture into its delusional belief system.

Like the Borg from Star Trek, Christian missionaries assimilate indigenous cultures by breaking them down to the point where only remnants of the destroyed culture remain, like relics in an Indiana Jones movie, set behind alarmed glass in a museum.

• Like 1
amaysngrace

Nobody fears (other) religion(s) as much as somebody with no faith does.

That is fact.

Nobody fears (other) religion(s) as much as somebody with no faith does.

That is fact.

And with good reason. Religion is a tool created by humans to control other humans. People who are brainwashed into following religious cults, or radical religious groups, will kill other people blindly, because they believe they are doing it for Allah or God.

I think the real reason that a large portion of the world's population defer to religion to give meaning to their lives, is because they are pressured into it by their family or friends, and because they are wishful thinkers, and really afraid of what happens to them after death. People who are indoctrinated into their religious belief system rarely if ever leave it, because it provides them with a comfort that they believe they can't get from other sources. People who believe in religion need the reassurance that some 'God' and an afterlife exists.

Also, religious people are brainwashed to believe that Atheists are immoral and a threat to the stable social order. You have to wonder why there is such an anti-atheist bigotry with religion, especially a religion that touts acceptance and love for humanity the way Christianity does (lies). That's why I find religion so hypocritical.

Christians want to tell me they are about peace and love, but they are intolerant of non-believers and people who are different (gay, transgender, from other cultures, you name it). It's because religion is a delusion and Atheists are realists who don't need to crutch of supernatural beliefs to live a happy, well-rounded life.

amaysngrace

People of faith don't see Atheists as a threat. lol

That's just the atheist in you having another fear to add to the list of why you irrationally fear religious people. :laugh:

• Author
Nothing we do has any meaning, except the meaning we give to ourselves and to others. There is no meaning to life except the meaning that you choose to give it. Perception. It's all about perception.

There is no point wasting time worrying about "what if" after life and the universe ends. The only point is the here and now.

Religion promotes delusion, murders people and destroys cultures in its name. Christian missionaries are essentially colonists, set out to destroy other cultures in the name of good will, because the goal of Christianity is to assimilate the world and every culture into its delusional belief system.

I agree.

Here is the sad thing about God. I wish there was one. Just like I wish my father was a daddy and not a Narcissistic cruel man who never loved me. No father in Heaven no father on Earth.

...however, my mother loves me very much. So if I were to think I didn't believe in God because of my "daddy issues" that couldn't be true because the one who gave birth to me, my creator, was loving.

It doesn't make sense for there to be a God and the Bible was written by many different men. It's obscure and scary.

• Author

That's just the atheist in you having another fear to add to the list of why you irrationally fear religious people. :laugh:

If someone tells me they believe in God, go to Church and pray I don't fear them. If they do good deeds and are essentially a nice person I'll probably want to be friends with them. In fact, one of my best friends is very religious and I love her with all my heart.

It's the mass destruction of religious fundamentalist groups that I fear.

• Like 1

Fear of radical religious groups like ISIS that go around and murder people randomly is not an irrational fear Amay. I think you're reaching my friend, because you know that people who fear groups like that are not irrational people. The irrational people are the ones who believe that a man lives in the sky, who created the universe and who supposedly dictates who is good and bad based on a code of moral behavior he created, a man who lives in the sky with angels and whose angels fight demons who work for an evil guy who lives below the guy in the sky. That's supernatural silliness that grown adults with chemistry degrees (the Pope) believe and tout as being real. That is irrational. People who believe in religion are irrational. Sorry. But it's true.

I agree.

Here is the sad thing about God. I wish there was one. Just like I wish my father was a daddy and not a Narcissistic cruel man who never loved me. No father in Heaven no father on Earth.

...however, my mother loves me very much. So if I were to think I didn't believe in God because of my "daddy issues" that couldn't be true because the one who gave birth to me, my creator, was loving.

It doesn't make sense for there to be a God and the Bible was written by many different men. It's obscure and scary.

The reason I became an Atheist was because I caught on early (my high school years) to the Patriarchal system that Christianity really is. Men rule. Women are viewed as secondary. Women don't even get paid equal salaries as men.

I don't wish for a God to exist. I wish that people would stop believing in that silliness and acting as if God were real when God is just a social construction from a group of patriarchs from another era, who wrote a bunch of stories down over a long period of time, that got put into one collection and that collection of stories is now touted as something to be taken literally.

The Creator is actually both your parents, not some guy in the sky. Again, creationists (not you) in general tend to skip over science to tout fantasy. NO guy in the guy created anything or anybody. Humans reproduce to create other humans. That's science. That's real.

• Author
Fear of radical religious groups like ISIS that go around and murder people randomly is not an irrational fear Amay. I think you're reaching my friend, because you know that people who fear groups like that are not irrational people. The irrational people are the ones who believe that a man lives in the sky, who created the universe and who supposedly dictates who is good and bad based on a code of moral behavior he created, a man who lives in the sky with angels and whose angels fight demons who work for an evil guy who lives below the guy in the sky. That's supernatural silliness that grown adults with chemistry degrees (the Pope) believe and tout as being real. That is irrational. People who believe in religion are irrational. Sorry. But it's true.

It's apparent I don't believe in a judging God or a specific creator. But it still puzzles me why anything is here at all and why it all dies. What is the point of life if death follows?