Any Eckhart Tolle fans?

TaraMaiden2
He seems to be the only person who makes sense to me besides Mr. Rogers.

Yes, but I confess I have only got his 'The Power of Now' book.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Buddha, because basically, everything Mr Tolle says, is expounded in Buddhism.

But Tolle has the wonderful and contemporary gift of making it far more digestible.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yes, but I confess I have only got his 'The Power of Now' book.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Buddha, because basically, everything Mr Tolle says, is expounded in Buddhism.

But Tolle has the wonderful and contemporary gift of making it far more digestible.

I've listened to Buddhist dharma talks but I feel a little too judged by their thinking. What I like about Tolle is his lack of preaching and his focus on the present moment. Also, he's very funny.

TaraMaiden2
I've listened to Buddhist dharma talks but I feel a little too judged by their thinking. What I like about Tolle is his lack of preaching and his focus on the present moment. Also, he's very funny.

I completely understand what you mean about 'judging' but I notice you use the term 'Dharma' (which is Mahayana, probably Tibetan) Buddhism.

It can be a bit patronising if you don't completely understand the angle they're approaching it from (That's not a criticism of you. I'm not saying you're unintelligent, but it's a bit like reading several chapters of a book but not in sequence or context....)

Pali (Theravada) Buddhism has the original Suttas and Monks give Dhamma talks.... At times they can be quite dry too...

However, Thanissaro Bikkhu is also very funny.

But as I agreed, Tolle makes his approach very 'human'....

I read the Power of Now as well, and will say I didn't like the writing style at all, but I did appreciate the message. Living in the now is an extraordinarily difficult thing for me, I can barely remember a time that it's actually happened, but I imagine it's quite a wonderful state to be in.

• Author
I read the Power of Now as well, and will say I didn't like the writing style at all, but I did appreciate the message. Living in the now is an extraordinarily difficult thing for me, I can barely remember a time that it's actually happened, but I imagine it's quite a wonderful state to be in.

It's a very difficult thing to do but when you can it's peaceful. It's focusing more on how the body feels and what you see in front of you. It's taking you out of your mind and into life.

Yes, big fan. I tend to be an impatient person. Learning to be present has helped me tremendously.

Presence has helped me to listen and be still, focus....this has helped people around me to feel heard and validated. It is amazing when I stopped trying to think ahead for my response and to be quiet and listen that I learned so much more and the other person(s) were calmed and satisfied.

Every task is better executed and more peaceful when I am only in it and only doing that task.

Always a work in progress :o.....but I like him.

• Like 1
TaraMaiden2

I learnt that being in the still, small presence of the Now moment, also helped me, eventually, evaluate the validity of my opinions and perceptions.

It's almost as if I succeeded in stepping outside of myself and viewing an experience or situation, as if I was watching an episode of <insert any tv soap serial here> and critiquing or assessing my role and response.

Even if I went awry and made a mistake, I could see it coming.... (Then why didn't I stop it in that case...? because other factors prevented a skilful or Mindful input from me... rather like being in goal, and not realising someone has kicked the ball, and it's heading for your face, then being knocked sideways by it....)

I tend to keep my eye on the ball a bit better, of late.....

• Like 2
  • Author
Yes, big fan. I tend to be an impatient person. Learning to be present has helped me tremendously.

Presence has helped me to listen and be still, focus....this has helped people around me to feel heard and validated. It is amazing when I stopped trying to think ahead for my response and to be quiet and listen that I learned so much more and the other person(s) were calmed and satisfied.

Every task is better executed and more peaceful when I am only in it and only doing that task.

Always a work in progress :o.....but I like him.

It's not our nature to be still but when you redirect your mind to the inner body a stillness happens automatically. It's magical. It only lasts half a second for me and then my mind starts up again. But I'm a tortured soul and need a lot of refocusing.

• Like 1
It's not our nature to be still but when you redirect your mind to the inner body a stillness happens automatically. It's magical. It only lasts half a second for me and then my mind starts up again. But I'm a tortured soul and need a lot of refocusing.

TBH, death stopped me in my tracks. Tolle is really onto something good, I think. The oneness. In our busy minds the concept of oneness becomes so scattered. For example, I swear a lot behind the wheel of a car, dumbbutt careless drivers everywhere. I stop at tailgating or being reckless. Unnecessary risk and more...there may be a reason that I will never know... that I am delayed. I accept this and feel a sense of gratitude despite myself.

So Tolle tries to convey presence, a sense of being a part of and not separate from. I adore that from him and think he is on track as many others are.

He is one of many, I think, who have achieved a peacefulness of existense, a higher level.

• Like 1
  • Author
TBH, death stopped me in my tracks. Tolle is really onto something good, I think. The oneness. In our busy minds the concept of oneness becomes so scattered. For example, I swear a lot behind the wheel of a car, dumbbutt careless drivers everywhere. I stop at tailgating or being reckless. Unnecessary risk and more...there may be a reason that I will never know... that I am delayed. I accept this and feel a sense of gratitude despite myself.

So Tolle tries to convey presence, a sense of being a part of and not separate from. I adore that from him and think he is on track as many others are.

He is one of many, I think, who have achieved a peacefulness of existense, a higher level.

He is an exceptional spiritual leader. I've listened to lots and he's the best IMO. I like that he doesn't refer to God because I'm still torn regarding that matter. But spaciousness, presence and stillness are concepts that I can easily accept.

Were you recently in the hospital?

^^No, no hospital as of late. Everything you need is already inside of you. So only enjoy and explore. :)

• Like 1
Daisy-oliviaWentcher
^^No, no hospital as of late. Everything you need is already inside of you. So only enjoy and explore. :)

yeah I like his ethics on the whole about having balance in the mind, body and soul.

• 3 weeks later...
HowMightI-live

I read the power of now and it kinda changed my life, so there's that..

Lol.

I read the power of now and it kinda changed my life, so there's that..

Lol.

He's changed my life too. I need to listen to him everyday just to keep on track.

• Like 1
TaraMaiden2
He's changed my life too. I need to listen to him everyday just to keep on track.

It's the times you DON'T need to listen to him every day, that you'll know your life has changed.

If you need to listen every day 'to keep on track' there's something you're not sufficiently absorbing or putting your confidence into...

• Like 1
It's the times you DON'T need to listen to him every day, that you'll know your life has changed.

If you need to listen every day 'to keep on track' there's something you're not sufficiently absorbing or putting your confidence into...

Yep. I got issues girl. LOL. I listen to him and Tara Brach, meditate, eat heathy, work out. I'm trying to live a Buddhist lifestyle. My old behaviors and western ways are ingrained in me. I want to be the spirit that dwells in my physical shell but it's hard to just breathe, go into the present moment and live life without thinking, judging and beating myself up.

Can you live mostly in the present moment?

• Like 1

I love him.

And his gently sarcastic sense of humor kills me everytime.

As someone who chronically frets about the unknowable future, his message of staying in the present is so helpful.

My mind can run amok with all kinds of "what if'" and to say I can fall into hypervigilence is an understatement.

So, to bring it back to just RIGHT. NOW, to just this moment, to recognize all my needs are--and always have been met on time and in abundance--really calms me.

And I like his sweater vests.

• Like 2
I love him.

And his gently sarcastic sense of humor kills me everytime.

As someone who chronically frets about the unknowable future, his message of staying in the present is so helpful.

My mind can run amok with all kinds of "what if'" and to say I can fall into hypervigilence is an understatement.

So, to bring it back to just RIGHT. NOW, to just this moment, to recognize all my needs are--and always have been met on time and in abundance--really calms me.

And I like his sweater vests.

His sense of humor and comic timing is incredible which is probably what makes him such a great speaker. He melds wisdom, humor and otherworldliness into his talks and helps me to look at life in a different manner.

I find it hard to live in the present moment. My mind runs amok all the time. I just want it to shut up and leave me alone.

• Like 1
TaraMaiden2
His sense of humor and comic timing is incredible which is probably what makes him such a great speaker. He melds wisdom, humor and otherworldliness into his talks and helps me to look at life in a different manner.

I find it hard to live in the present moment. My mind runs amok all the time. I just want it to shut up and leave me alone.

Aaaah, the joys of taming 'The Monkey Mind' with Meditation....!

• Like 1
TaraMaiden2

Meditation is a discipline, but it can still help you.

I have several good friends with mental incapacities and irregularities, who have all been helped enormously by their dedicated Meditation practice.

One has even (in co-operation and working with his Doctor) come off his meds.

• Like 1
Meditation is a discipline, but it can still help you.

I have several good friends with mental incapacities and irregularities, who have all been helped enormously by their dedicated Meditation practice.

One has even (in co-operation and working with his Doctor) come off his meds.

I keep looking at crap on that fitness site and my mind is all over the place today. Usually, I'd spend most of the day doing housework, gardening and going to the gym which would help keep me busy but I'm a little sick today and need to take it easy. This is bad. I need to block that fitness site from my computer and flood my brain with Tolle. I automatically relax when I hear his voice. I'm so good at doing things that are destructive to my self-esteem and can get a metal for beating myself up. I need to stay on the path.