God's sovereignty is not popular teaching

Portsmith2010

I guess I am one of those minority believers in Jesus who does not believe in human free will. I believe God is sovereign over everything and has preordained how long each of us will live.

Which to me makes sense. We were not in control of our birth into this world nor the timing of it so why would we be in control of when we leave this world?

Does believing in God's sovereign involvement in our daily lives lead to passivity? It really depends and maybe in certain areas of my life passivity is the right way to go.

Because I believe in predestination and God's sovereign role I stopped asking women out for dates a long time ago. To me this feels right and I am at peace about it regardless of how many fellow Christians will come along and say that I am crazy and need to see a psychiatrist and regardless of how many Christians try to push the free will doctrine on me trying to convince me that God has stepped back and left it up to me to make my own destiny. I would expect a fellow atheist to think that way but most Christians do not believe in the sovereignty of God surprisingly.

Contrary to the way our western culture tries to brainwash us into thinking that passivity is always a bad thing and that we must always make things happen there are times passivity feels right. There's a time to make things happen and there's a time to let things happen. The drive to make things happen is also a drive that's put there by God. So it is all preordained.

I may feel inclined to make things happen and by proactive when it comes to finding a better job or improving my physical appearance or taking better care of my car but when it comes to dating and my love life or sex life I don't try to make things happen and be more passive. God's will is going to prevail so why try to push for any intimate relationship with a woman? I will wait on The Lord to open up doors. How will I know He has opened up a door? When a woman is asking me out on a date. That means God has worked in her heart to stir an interest in me. He gets all the credit and glory.

I am also a universalist when it comes to the afterlife. I believe God sovereignly elected to save everyone through the work of Christ on the cross and everybody goes to heaven even if they don't want to be there. There is no hell. God took our eternal destiny in His hands.

As for the finding a wife issue it doesn't seem like Adam had much choice in the matter. God just gave him a wife. Adam didn't ask for God for Eve.

• Author
Portsmith2010

Yes I am.

Now I already know the ladies are going to jump in here and say that they wouldn't date a man who had such a passive outlook about dating. Well that's a moot point because the only women who I would be compatible with would be ones who hold the same beliefs I do about God's sovereignty. Those are the only women who would understand where I'm coming from. It may be a minority view but 1% doesn't mean only 1 person holds those views. Since spirituality is a very important part of my life and who I am it only makes sense that I be with a woman who has the same outlook on life and God knows this.

autumnnight

If a woman believes in God's sovreignty in the exact same way, who would act? That is not meant as sarcasm. I am really asking.

• Like 1
I may feel inclined to make things happen and by proactive when it comes to finding a better job or improving my physical appearance or taking better care of my car but when it comes to dating and my love life or sex life I don't try to make things happen and be more passive. God's will is going to prevail so why try to push for any intimate relationship with a woman?

Similarly, why push proactively when it comes to finding a better job, or improving your physical appearance, or taking better care of your car?

I will wait on The Lord to open up doors.

So why would you presume to be proactive in your career?

Bottom line: what is the difference between your career and your dating life, which makes you choose to be proactive and willful in one, but passive and waiting for God to deliver upon his will in the other?

I disagree with you but as long as it makes you at peace then its perfectly fine. You might end up being single your whole life but if you are content with it then good. Being single is good too.

Now if you desire women and after many years god doesn't give you one, what will be your response? If it causes you to be angry at god and life then what is your net benefit?

If you desire to ask out a girl you like then isn't that enough? Wouldn't that be your god given nature causing you to act?

As a born-again Christian, I disagree with your outlook even though I as well believe God is sovereign over all things and ordains all things to the counsel of His good Will.

Case in point: If you believe God has ordained all things, even the leaf that falls from the tree, then why do you still breathe? If God has ordained it, then you shouldn't.

And your position on universalism is not a Biblical one; one good counter-example would be the Lake of Fire in Revelation, the Book of Life in Revelation, Sheol in the Old Testament, Matthew 5:29 (Jesus talks about our bodies being thrown into Hell), and many more.

What verses do you have to show universalism is a Biblical doctrine?