An interesting twist on ghosts

I was talking with a young lady the other day who is a Jehovah's Witness. I asked if she believes in ghosts, to which she responded in the affirmative. So I asked if she believes they are evil spirits. She said yes, but not all. So what then are the non evil spirits, I asked. They are angels, she replied!

I had never come across this idea before. I have always heard that religions view ghosts as demonic entities. The idea of angelic ghosts is a new one to me.

Hmm, I haven't heard that either.

I mean, ghosts are just souls of dead people aren't they? not necessarily bad or good, just with unfinished business preventing them from moving on. At least that's what pop culture tells us.

Angels, are different though. They are spiritual beings created by God with no physical form.

I was talking with a young lady the other day who is a Jehovah's Witness. I asked if she believes in ghosts, to which she responded in the affirmative. So I asked if she believes they are evil spirits. She said yes, but not all. So what then are the non evil spirits, I asked. They are angels, she replied!

I had never come across this idea before. I have always heard that religions view ghosts as demonic entities. The idea of angelic ghosts is a new one to me.

The word "spirits" in Scripture is often used in reference to angels. This is not always the case, but when you look at the context, it's easily deciphered. Additionally, angels can be good or bad. Good means they are servants of Christ while bad means they are servants of Satan (not that Christ and Satan are equal forces).

. Additionally, angels can be good or bad. Good means they are servants of Christ while bad means they are servants of Satan (not that Christ and Satan are equal forces).

Isn't it when they serve Satan they are the fallen ones, and thus considered as demons and not angels anymore?

Isn't it when they serve Satan they are the fallen ones, and thus considered as demons and not angels anymore?

Nope. Both good and bad ones are still referred to as angels. For example, Satan is still an angel.

Demon is a very specific term, often misunderstood, which refers to the disembodied spirits of Nephilim which were formerly on the earth. Not all fallen angels are demons. People use the terms demon and fallen angels interchangeably but there is a difference.

Edited by Levite
  • 2 weeks later...
Hmm, I haven't heard that either.

I mean, ghosts are just souls of dead people aren't they? not necessarily bad or good, just with unfinished business preventing them from moving on. At least that's what pop culture tells us.

Angels, are different though. They are spiritual beings created by God with no physical form.

great point. Part of growing up, i always views ghost are souls with unfinished business.

great point. Part of growing up, i always views ghost are souls with unfinished business.

This is what I believe too. Souls that hang around the physical plane, are ghosts. They were once human.

Angels are a completely different entity. They were created by God, and their sole purpose is to help humanity, and to serve God. Fallen angels are those that follow satan.

Then you have demons. These, like angels, were never human. They are complete manifestations of evil.

Humans who pass do not become angels, and angels do not become human. Humans do not pass and become demons.

ghost equates to -spirit.

the Holy Spirit is mentioned in various parts of scriptures in various religions, Muslims, Buddhist, Christianity, Judaism.

Some denounce the concept of the Trinity - Father , Son, Holy Ghost (spirit).

Yet its in the literature so there is laud ability .

Jehovah Witness have a limited bus to store its souls, so 144,000 folks thru the beginning of time til Amagedon will gain salvation. All others...simply Poof!(for lack of a better word)

But definitely don't' become ghost :)

• Author
Jehovah Witness have a limited bus to store its souls, so 144,000 folks thru the beginning of time til Amagedon will gain salvation. All others...simply Poof!(for lack of a better word)

But definitely don't' become ghost :)

That is not what they believe. I thought you knew how to use Google. ;)

Watch Tower Society publications teach that God's kingdom is a literal government in heaven, ruled by Jesus Christ and 144,000 Christians drawn from the earth.[179] The kingdom is viewed as the means by which God will accomplish his original purpose for the earth, transforming it into a paradise without sickness or death.[180] It is said to have been the focal point of Jesus' ministry on earth.[181] They believe the kingdom was established in heaven in 1914,[182] and that Jehovah's Witnesses serve as representatives of the kingdom on earth.[183][184]

Eschatology[edit]

Main article: Eschatology of Jehovah's Witnesses

A central teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses is that the current world era, or "system of things", entered the "last days" in 1914 and faces imminent destruction through intervention by God and Jesus Christ, leading to deliverance for those who worship God acceptably.[185] They consider all other present-day religions to be false, identifying them with "Babylon the Great", or the "harlot", of Revelation 17,[186] and believe that they will soon be destroyed by the United Nations, which they believe is represented in scripture by the scarlet-colored wild beast of Revelation chapter 17. This development will mark the beginning of the "great tribulation".[187] Satan will subsequently attack Jehovah's Witnesses, an action that will prompt God to begin the war of Armageddon, during which all forms of government and all people not counted as Christ's "sheep", or true followers, will be destroyed. After Armageddon, God will extend his heavenly kingdom to include earth, which will be transformed into a paradise similar to the Garden of Eden.[188] After Armageddon, most of those who had died before God's intervention will gradually be resurrected during "judgment day" lasting for one thousand years. This judgment will be based on their actions after resurrection rather than past deeds. At the end of the thousand years, a final test will take place when Satan is released to mislead perfect mankind. Those who fail will be destroyed, along with Satan and his demons. The end result will be a fully tested, glorified human race. Christ will then hand all authority back to God.[189]

wiki

Edited by Robert Z

It's pretty common with some Christian believers as well. I'm not of an organized religion but I believe in a lot of paranormal stuff because I've had some experiences of it throughout my lifetime. I believe there are different types of spirits, including some that are protective spirits and informative ones and there are of course unpleasant or angry ones. I don't think they're all ghosts and I think ones that can be seen or felt or heard and then those that you sense or have dreams about or alpha visions are maybe a different type spirit, more beneficial, that aren't just there for their own purposes. I really have no doubt spirits exist. I used to think they were all scary, but now I've encounted a couple of pleasant ones that aren't scary at all, though I assume I'd be startled if they materialed. House rules is you're now allowed to materialize. It's just too shocking plus I feel it probably saps energy from something and is hard to do.

Zack Bagans could probably tell you.

Just kidding

I have experienced a couple of things I cannot explain, and I tend to refer to that as spiritual warfare. Like in Ephesians 6.

I don't know who people are seeing when they think they see Aunt Trudy knitting in the rocking chair in the corner. I don't think it's actually Aunt Trudy.

I do find it amusing when, on those paranormal shows, their answer to purging something demonic is to use occult rituals. That's kind of like putting out a fire with turpentine.