Praying to a God you don't believe in

ThreeYearsDumb

I'm going through a crisis and have tried turning to my faith. As my desperation endures, I've lost faith the God is listening. I've always believed that if God doesn't answer you're prayers then he has something better for you. I don't believe it anymore. I've realized I've always been emotionally broken, incapable of living a full life. I still find myself crying out to God for relief but immediately tell myself that he isn't listening. I literally pray to a God I don't believe in.

There's no god.

You have to realize that tsunamis have claimed a quarter-million people in a flash, so it's very delusional and vain to think a god cares about your problems or will answer prayers.

Sorry for what you are going through though.

• Like 1
endlessabyss
There's no god.

You have to realize that tsunamis have claimed a quarter-million people in a flash, so it's very delusional and vain to think a god cares about your problems or will answer prayers.

Sorry for what you are going through though.

Haha.

Anyways OP, are you a Christian?

• Author
ThreeYearsDumb

Yea, I was raised catholic and attended church through high school. Pretty much stopped after that. Haven't nourished my faith much since then.

I'm going through a crisis and have tried turning to my faith. As my desperation endures, I've lost faith the God is listening. I've always believed that if God doesn't answer you're prayers then he has something better for you. I don't believe it anymore. I've realized I've always been emotionally broken, incapable of living a full life. I still find myself crying out to God for relief but immediately tell myself that he isn't listening. I literally pray to a God I don't believe in.

This is tough. A lot of us grow up hearing that if we pray hard enough or pray the right way, things will work out for us. Of course, once you've lived enough of life, you begin to question that. The truth is that none of us really know how God works. We don't know if interferes in our daily lives or, if he does, how. I tend to view life as a crap shoot, and I look to God for meaning and comfort.

I believe in God. I was dealt a tough hand in life and so I've had moments where I couldn't understand why or how God would let terrible happen but not a whole lot. I don't blame Him. Even though He controls everything. It's just been very hard to understand "why" but we're not supposed to understand we just need to accept it and still have faith in Him because He has a plan for everybody.

You're feeling the way you're feeling right now because God wants you to feel this way, for whatever reason. It's going to teach you something or lead to something good. Eventually you'll understand that.

Happy New Year!

Edited by me85
  • Like 3
Million.to.1

I think that "praying" is something really positive for believers and non-believers alike.

Personally, I do not believe there is a "God" -certainly not as any religion has portrayed anyway. I don't believe in a consciousness separate or higher than our own that we aren't already connected to.

God to me is everything and nothing. It is nature, the universe, light, time. It has no agenda and no judgment. It just is.

Prayer is intention. It is gratitude, hope, focus and desire. I think it is imperative to a healthy heart and mind to consciously consider or verbalise these deep personal drives regularly. Whether or not "God" is listening or will answer, shouldn't matter. You are in the drivers seat and just by being connected and open to whatever it is you 'pray' for will help connect you to the bigger picture. ....Whatever that is. :)

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/the-only-reason-we-need-to-celebrate-2015-1676891719?rev=1420113441960

Edited by Million.to.1
whichwayisup

What is it that has held you back? You say you're broken, what needs to be fixed? What can you do to put your life back together so you can feel and live a happier life?

Have faith in yourself first. Looking for God for guidance is wonderful and helpful to many but if you feel you've lost your way when it comes to Him, don't give up. Keep looking and figure out what it is that made you stop believing.

Have you gone to speak to someone at your Church?

• Like 2

I'm sorry that things look so tough for you at the moment. It will get better.

Since you seem to have some insight into your spiritual struggle already, I'm not sure what words of comfort to offer. Maybe read the book of Job. He faced many challenges and went through a period of questioning. If you don't own a Bible, you can access it online: Job

• Author
ThreeYearsDumb
What is it that has held you back? You say you're broken, what needs to be fixed? What can you do to put your life back together so you can feel and live a happier life?

Have faith in yourself first. Looking for God for guidance is wonderful and helpful to many but if you feel you've lost your way when it comes to Him, don't give up. Keep looking and figure out what it is that made you stop believing.

Have you gone to speak to someone at your Church?

I just need to be fixed in General. I've been in therapy for awhile now. The consensus of course is childhood issues. Having a narcissistic emotional stoic father and a mother who wishes she never had me, and hoped I would never amount to anything. I simply wasn't able to rise above it. I spent the years between 19-33 on autopilot basically, fully detached from my own life. It was only after having a child of my own that I realized I'd been in a numbed paralytic state for over a decade. I wasn't depressed but never happy or content. I felt unworthy of love and couldn't reciprocate to those who loved me. The mother of my child and I separated and it took me two years before I felt any emotional attachment to the loss. By then I had been in therapy and the dam burst open and I realized what my emotional state had cost me. The love of my life. It was another year before I was healthy enough or ready to try and reconcile and then 4 months ago she ended our reconciliation attempt to be with someone else. I feel like if God made me in his image then he made me weak. And while I've finally learned to love myself, I've lost so much in the interim and really only found my personal grace when I set my faith aside. I have spoken to a priest at my church and it just didn't didn't seem to help. He spoke in the vague generalizations that have almost become religious cliche. I just don't feel any of Gods love for me, and haven't in a very long time.

endlessabyss
Yea, I was raised catholic and attended church through high school. Pretty much stopped after that. Haven't nourished my faith much since then.

Got it.

I was raised as a cultural Catholic, but I never really nourished my faith as well. It was pretty much a tradition thing for me, I guess. I never really went to church, or did any religious activities growing up, but I hit a crisis situation in my life a little while back, and really explored to see if God was really out there.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+26%3A36-46&version=GNT

After reading the New Testament a few times, and reflecting on my own hard times, this part of the gospel of Matthew really stuck out to me. Even during Jesus' time on earth, He went through a tremendous amount of suffering, ultimately leading to His death on the cross. Another book that I related to a lot was that of Jerimiah.

http://www.gotquestions.org/life-Jeremiah.html

I whole heartedly believe that suffering is part of the human condition, but through our own suffering is where we learn some of life's most valuable lessons.

Ultimately, my own hard times brought me closer to God, and the way I look at it now, God may have planned it out that way to get my attention.

Things will get better. Life is cyclic, like the seasons. We have seasons of good times, and we have seasons of bad times. Without the bad how would we enjoy the good?

Edited by endlessabyss
  • Like 2

I feel like if God made me in his image then he made me weak. And while I've finally learned to love myself, I've lost so much in the interim and really only found my personal grace when I set my faith aside.

sounds like you've lost sight of the basic teaching of God: That he is love. Once you wrap your mind around that, things begin falling into place.

that said, don't be freaked out by this stage of your spiritual journey – even the folks we see as incredibly spiritually strong have their doubts. Remember several years ago, when it was learned that Mother Teresa – yes, her! – admitted to having doubt? That was the very human part of her responding to things she felt were beyond her control, something we all feel.

so, start simple. Contemplate love. What it is, what it means, where it originates from. Then branch out spiritually and emotionally, but don't let it get you down if things don't proceed as quickly as you think they ought to. And by all means, find a way to recharge your faith. That could mean going to Mass, attending RCIA classes or even just doing something as simple as adoration of the Blessed Sacrament or praying the rosary. Give yourself one-on-one time with God, if you honestly want to strengthen that relationship.

and being Catholic, don't ever hesitate to call on the Blessed Mother or the saints to help you grow in your faith. If ever there were prayer warriors, it's them.

God bless, kiddo – I hope your soul finds what it's looking for,

q

• Like 1
It was only after having a child of my own that I realized I'd been in a numbed paralytic state for over a decade. I wasn't depressed but never happy or content. I felt unworthy of love and couldn't reciprocate to those who loved me. The mother of my child and I separated and it took me two years before I felt any emotional attachment to the loss. By then I had been in therapy and the dam burst open and I realized what my emotional state had cost me. The love of my life. It was another year before I was healthy enough or ready to try and reconcile and then 4 months ago she ended our reconciliation attempt to be with someone else.

Sounds very painful, TYD...I'm sorry you're going through all this.

Any positives you can glean from the past decade or so? Can you recognize any ways that God has intervened in your life to help you grow, change, improve?

For me (an outsider) it seems like a blessing that you can now recognize your weaknesses, realize (in part) how they may have been formed, and work on improving them. You had an emotional blockade, which has been removed...that's great news!

Unfortunately, some things take time to repair. And other things aren't reparable in this lifetime. They are unfortunate casualties of sin. But that doesn't mean that God's promises aren't true. All things will be repaired in God's time...even if it's in heaven.

My advice: make it a daily point to recognize at least something good in your life. And then take the focus off yourself and your own shortcomings. Learn to focus your time, thoughts and energies on others (especially your child).

I just don't feel any of Gods love for me, and haven't in a very long time.

Love isn't just a feeling. Feelings are fickle and fleeting. God's love is much more eternal than just a feeling. Try to recognize the actions God has taken in your life, and the promises that have been fulfilled...not just how you 'feel'.

• Like 2
I'm going through a crisis and have tried turning to my faith. As my desperation endures, I've lost faith the God is listening.

ThreeYears,

I've been sort of going through a similar crisis of faith. I've been working with this Rosary for Overcoming a Spiritual Crisis, and the related audio. I was also raised RC, and that God that they taught about just never felt like the True God, to me.

Then, earlier today I came across this article, and these ones, on soul fragmentation: link 1 and link 2. This is a link to more links/articles - which I haven't gotten to most of these, yet. (I'm still trying to wrap my head around the one on soul fragmentation.)

Hope you will find something useful, that offers insight, comfort or relief. I'm still searching, also. I would offer that, even though you feel that you are so "broken" that you're incapable of living a full life, that is only the current truth from your current perception. There is yet hope for us...we just need to keep asking and seeking, until we find what we're looking for.

In the meantime, pray to some other 'higher being' in whom you do have more faith...Archangel Michael, Mother Mary, Paul the Venetian, Jesus, Saint Germain. Your own Higher Self. I believe they are all listening...we just need to raise-up our own consciousness a tad, and we will hear them. :)

Hugs, and all the best to you.

Edited by Ronni_W

I am sorry you are in pain. Although maybe not exactly the same many of us understand where you are coming from.

I heard something the other day that made a lot of sense. God head you the first time, When you ask for something you don't need to keep asking rather demonstrate your faith by thanking God for his actions to bring you one step closer.

regine_phalange

How do you feel while you pray? Do you feel better at least this moment?

I was religious until my early teens. I remember just right after I lost a family member, I unconsciously started praying. At least for the things a kid prays for:a certain boy in class to notice me, winning in a sprint race, a change of weather to go play outside. Well, the weather change didn't really happen, but somehow everything else I prayed for was happening and I thought someone was trying to repay me for taking away my family member. Maybe someone helped me indeed back then, and maybe not. But the thing is I did smile to this boy out of the blue before he noticed me and I did participate in the sprint race before winning.

Then in my late teens I lost my faith for no specific reason. I just couldn't bring myself to believe in a religion. I became kind of agnostic, which I am to this day. But I was the kind of agnostic who left all spirituality aside.

And now I notice my self becoming more spiritual than before. After more than a decade I find myself praying again sometimes. At night. I don't know to whom I'm praying and I'm not sure whether someone listens but it feels good to make a wish known to myself and my surroundings. And then go for it. I don't think praying is really asking something from someone. It's just channeling your energy in your wish, and then putting your body and mind to work. I just started this and I don't know if it's going to bring results but I feel good to concentrate every night on the things I want.

• 1 month later...

When you pray you're talking to god, and although humanity struggles with the actual definition of said omnipresent being, rest assured that god is always listening... BUT are you listening?! Are you quieting yourself enough to be able to hear/feel/see or otherwise understand what the universe is giving you.

I'm sorry you are struggling right now. be encouraged that the Lord has you in His hands and is taking care of you! Even when we go through silent season and don't hear a lot from Him, he is still there and His love NEVER changes for us...even when we arent hearing from Him! I'm was just going through that, but also remember that He gives us free will. And when we make choices or live our life in ways that arent honoring to Him or that dont line up with the bible, then (speaking from my own life) i've found myself in a horrible mess. Like I have been in, but I know He will take my mistakes and brokeness and turn it into something beautiful!! He's a good and gracious God!!

On the christian radio station in my area, they are doing a 30 day challenge or whatever. But its just listening to christian music for 30 days. And i started doing that cause I had nothing left and I was miserable..this was only a month or so ago. But since ive done that, it just encourages me so much and turns my thoughts not on myself or my problems, but to the Lord. It was hard at the beginning, because I wanted to listen to my favorite songs, but its been so good since I havent!!

Just be encouraged in the fact that there is a God and He wants to bless us and make something beautiful out of our messes, like ONLY He can!!! We just need to give Him our whole life and He will do amazing things in and thru us. My life feels like a mess right now and this isnt where i thought i would be, but im in it because of my own doing and I chose not to listen to Him. I know He has forgiven me and now easier said than done, but i need to forgive myself. Maybe this song will encourage you, I love it and is my 'theme song for this year :)

'

CrystalShine2011

I'm sorry you're going through a rough time.

I don't believe in a god, but I do believe in positive energy and that there is a Good in the Universe that we can connect with...it may not make sense to many (I grew up in a very strict Christian home) but I have taken years and years to separate and study my own ideas and what I truly believed in.

Regardless of religion, I hope things get better for you. :)

todreaminblue

I think the mistake lies in thinking that just because you believe in god everything will turn out right every time......as you can see not everyone believes in god......so you have to consider people who break others have the agency to do just that...now

if everyone on this miniscule planet believed in god and followed godly commandments and principles.....how do you think the world would be....would it be better or worse......less broken people or more broken people

god hears your prayers......i was raped at five......over a period of half a year......and i prayed to god.....it wasnt gods fault i was raped.....but if the man who raped me and this wife who stood by had instead followed the bible principles and truly believed in god...it never would have happened

god doesnt give up on people.....people too easily give up on god......he never stops believing in us......he gave us a manual the bible written and expressed by prophets seers and revelators who were crucified for their beliefs.....they gave their lives so you might have some where to turn to in times of heartache and crisis...in fact most of psalms is devoted to that......if your prayers arent answered turn there...pray before you read....and soothe that troubled heart of yours

when i am down on men...after they have beaten me...or ridiculed me or treated me unkindly i read song of solomon...

for this reason.....and just one reason is why we should never stop believing in him,...he believed in us that he gave his only begotten son..yours and every ones big brother..to die for us.....just for us.....remember that.....what we go through as one person is nothing compared to what one man did for all of us...and keep praying ....with gratitude.....and love...dont give up

if you need to talk...you can come on here too....posters will talk to you.....and you are not ever alone.......deb