New Years Resolutions...

...and words from the Lord.

What do you sense the Lord is saying to you concerning the new year? I am really hearing a lot from the prophetic this year concerning repentance. I really sense this will be a year of brokenness and repentance.

The repenting part is ok, although the brokenness can be a bit harder, but it still feels good.

• Author

Personally, 2014 has been a year of big time change, change I thought I could not endure, transition and transformation. Only God could have orchestrated what took place this almost past year.

...and just to clarify, this repentance is higher than the normal repentance we should do regularly. The repentance we are about to enter into is on levels not seen by most...it's more like a 2nd Chronicles 7:14. We will be blessed like never before by it. I don't really know how to say this, but the repentance will even bless those in other countries that we have been praying for. It's like God is making this transcontinental connection or something...maybe someone could add an interpretation to this last sentence.

Things that need resolution in my life- everything.

• Like 3

I cant answer much for the lord speaking part but my new year resolution is to spend more time at the gym(which to be fair I already do 5 days a week) and to eat more healthily and drink a little less on the weekend. Possibly learn a language and do an evening course of some kind:)

• Like 3

Well, in church yesterday I got 2 clear messages from the preacher & the worship songs about the New Year:

1) Put it behind you.

2) God will turn it around.

So I think I'm going to roll with that. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Also, I've seen several indicators within the last few days from different sources, all saying the same thing: Revival. I take that to mean more people flocking to Christ, revitalization of the church. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing.

About repentance - well that's a continual (and becoming an automatic) process for me. Some things happened over the holidays that (for once!) I didn't instigate, but it blew a lot of relationships apart. I didn't even hesitate - I prayed for forgiveness even though I have no clue what I did wrong. I'm sure I screwed something up somehow. In short, I'm already broken and I'm acutely aware of it. It just saves a lot of time to go ahead and repent. Whatever the case, I need to draw closer to God.

• Like 4

My New Year's resolution is to read the Bible from cover to cover. I've read it already but it's been patchwork and disorganized. I'm going to get Dr. John MacArthur's study bible and start on Jan 1.

• Like 4

Same thing. I tend to be fairly scattered in the way I read the Bible.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased Tyndale commentaries for several Old Testament books that I rarely read. I'm planning to take a more thorough look at these books, using the commentaries as a study aid.

I'm also planning another fast in support of a Christian group.

• Like 4
Same thing. I tend to be fairly scattered in the way I read the Bible.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased Tyndale commentaries for several Old Testament books that I rarely read. I'm planning to take a more thorough look at these books, using the commentaries as a study aid.

I'm also planning another fast in support of a Christian group.

I'm still undecided about which plan to choose. I've probably read the NT at least 5 times (in various combinations). It's the OT that I want to focus on. I'm considering just doing an intensive 90 or 180 day OT plan. But then I also want to still read the NT. I'm considering doing a 180 day entire Bible plan. If anyone knows a good one, let me know. I've found a few but they don't alternate between OT and NT. The reason I don't want a one-year plan is because my life will get a lot busier this August and I know I will fall off. That's why I want to get it done.

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 4

Very interesting thread. For the first time in my life, I have had some scripture that has been impressed heavily on my heart that I feel will be my "theme" in 2015.

• Like 4

One of my 2015 community goals (thanks AE) is to join Gideon's International. :)

I'm still undecided about which plan to choose. I've probably read the NT at least 5 times (in various combinations). It's the OT that I want to focus on. I'm considering just doing an intensive 90 or 180 day OT plan. But then I also want to still read the NT. I'm considering doing a 180 day entire Bible plan. If anyone knows a good one, let me know. I've found a few but they don't alternate between OT and NT. The reason I don't want a one-year plan is because my life will get a lot busier this August and I know I will fall off. That's why I want to get it done.

One I have done is read 3 chapters a day and 5 on Sunday (will take a year to get through). I've also done 1 chapter from OT, 1 from NT, and 1 from Psalms/Proverbs. That will also take about a year.

I also use the Gideon's International reading guide :)

Reading Calendar List

Here is a PDF so you can check off the readings:

http://www.gideons.org/ReadTheBible/~/media/PDFs/General/BB688B20-732C-4A42-BE9C-167C69E4E320.ashx

Bible Gateway has so many online study tools it is ridiculous:

https://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/?version=NIV

You can also download their app and get your daily study guide on your phone.

Blue Letter Bible has lexicons and dictionaries if you are desiring to do word studies:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/study.cfm

My personal advice is use audio MP3s or CDs to complement your study. You can also listen in the car or if you are working out. This has been one of the main keys for me to really learn scripture. The interesting part is there are no verses so you get a different context. My personal favorite audio version is Scourby, but there are a lot to select from.

Sample

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 5
I've also done 1 chapter from OT, 1 from NT, and 1 from Psalms/Proverbs. That will also take about a year.

Can you tell me which one this was?

Can you tell me which one this was?

Sure bro!

The one I use is on a spreadsheet I made up, which I don't think I can post here. The one below is pretty close.

Classic Daily Bible Reading Plan

This one even has the verses on the side :)

Edited by TheFinalWord

My New Years resolution is to not make any New Years resolutions. The date of the calendar is irrelevant. If you are serious about a certain goal then why does it matter what time of year you pursue it? New Years resolutions are a big joke and majority of people will fail to keep them and be back to old habits in February. Why a New Years resolution? Why not a new month resolution or a new week one?

TFW, do you know of any 180 day Bible plans which alternate between OT and NT (like the one you linked)?

You can check out more reading plans they offer here. There is a plan that combines OT and NT readings (see here). I think that plan is for a year, but just complete two readings a day and you'll be set.

• Like 3
  • Author

Outside of the 'everything' response (as far as things that need work), one of the main 'every things' is the Lord has been on my case about getting back into radical prayer. He's not speaking in that 'still small voice' (well in fact rarely does with me) anymore.

I went through a big time burn out after back to back enemy attack with being hit on all sides...and not to say anyone else's attack is less, although the warfare was intense because I never do anything halfway, it's all or nothing.

God has repositioned me and I'm still operating in fear, fearing to radically pray. It's easy to say this life or this body doesn't matter when your going through hell and back being hit on all sides and then some.

...but there's nothing like being caught up in the Spirit in radical prayer. One really cool thing this guy online about 15 years ago taught me to do- in your mind pray in tongues and then give the interpretation the same way... it really does a cleansing on the mind and you can physically feel it.

• Like 1
  • Author
Well, in church yesterday I got 2 clear messages from the preacher & the worship songs about the New Year:

1) Put it behind you.

2) God will turn it around.

So I think I'm going to roll with that. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Also, I've seen several indicators within the last few days from different sources, all saying the same thing: Revival. I take that to mean more people flocking to Christ, revitalization of the church. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing.

About repentance - well that's a continual (and becoming an automatic) process for me. Some things happened over the holidays that (for once!) I didn't instigate, but it blew a lot of relationships apart. I didn't even hesitate - I prayed for forgiveness even though I have no clue what I did wrong. I'm sure I screwed something up somehow. In short, I'm already broken and I'm acutely aware of it. It just saves a lot of time to go ahead and repent. Whatever the case, I need to draw closer to God.

Amen girl. Most of the 'body' sees revival...I hear it everywhere and it not just from a soulish desire, no I think it's the Lord revealing it to those that can receive it.

OB, I've had that happen too where relationships are concerned- granted I'm about as ornery as they come, but when one meets me they see this and receive it (actually there is no choice because I'm not going to change anytime soon) because there's never malicious intent.

OB this is so hard to go through, meaning when God severs various relationships- man it's like a void is left and I go through a bit of withdrawal depending on how long and how close we were. My heart goes out to you love and my prayers are with you. Chances are you didn't do anything, but I know we all question 'what did I do?' or 'am I a bad person?' ...sometimes it's nothing and ya technically we are in these earthly bodies so we're all given to the a sin nature. Stand in there girl...

My New Years resolution is to not make any New Years resolutions. The date of the calendar is irrelevant. If you are serious about a certain goal then why does it matter what time of year you pursue it? New Years resolutions are a big joke and majority of people will fail to keep them and be back to old habits in February. Why a New Years resolution? Why not a new month resolution or a new week one?

You do have a point. But New Year's resolutions can still be an effective way to change something in your life. You just have to figure out how to keep the momentum going beyond 2-3 weeks...and then through times of stress, which we all experience. Change can be very hard. The key is to recognize this and figure out how you'll succeed anyway.

Many of my now lifelong habits started off as New Year's resolutions. It can be a helpful device to jumpstart a permanent change.

pure in heart's mention of prayer reminded me of something I had already begun but want to reaffirm in 2015. I want to "pray radically" for my children. They are no longer "children" in the age sense and are in that phase where the choices they make have lifelong effects and the specifics of the beliefs they hammer out are likely to be the ones they keep for a long time. I want to pray that they embrace God's wisdom and seek Him - all of Him. I have one that readily embraces all the do's and do not's and tends to poo-poo the "all you need is love," and I have one that is all into "let's all just love each other,' forgetting that the same Jesus who said that also said "be holy as I am holy." A person of faith embraces both.

• Like 1

Thanks for everybody's recommendations. They helped me figure out what I want. I think I'll go for this one:

http://www.hunterstreet.org/grow/documents/2014_Bible_Reading_Plan.pdf

It's a daily OT, NT, psalm/prov, and Gospel. It's a really good breakup. I will double up each day, like Pie2 said, so I bang it out in 180 days.

Gosh, there is a 90 day entire bible plan! Imagine that!

• Like 2
  • Author

I hear you Darren, but I know many where the NYR's really stick, especially the people on this thread...lol, they don't play:D

• Like 1