What do you non-christians do for Christmas?

So here I am, a Muslim, on Christmas Eve and I'm on Loveshack. Honestly tomorrow on Christmas I'll be doing nothing. Sitting at home, ordering food, and probably playing some video games. Most of my friends are Christians so they're going to be with their families. So for those of you who are not Christian what do you do on Christmas? Do you celebrate it or do something else?

It's just the SO and I here, with all our family being abroad (and our friends being with their families). So yeah, we don't have a huge celebration the way many others do, but we do take the opportunity to have a nice holiday together. Most people here who celebrate Christmas are atheists anyway. They just view it as a big family reunion.

We don't even have a Christmas tree! :laugh: But we'll have dinner and maybe watch some shows on stream and stuff.

• Like 1

i stay home since most everything is closed, and read/watch movies/play with my dogs. it's just a day off from work, really. nothing special. the only limiting factor is not being able to go out and do things, which i'd normally do. i realize 99.9% of my friends will be with friends and families so i just enjoy my own company for the day and don't bother anyone. let them enjoy their holiday.

Not a damn thing. But I still recognize it as a holiday because Christmas is an American holiday that still holds non-religious significance.

• Like 1
youngskywalker

As an agnostic I go to church and celebrate Christmas because my entire family are christians. I'm the odd man out so I just take it and go with the flow. I hate to be a scrooge but I really don't care for Christmas too much. So when I go to church I think of new thoughts on why it isn't true.

Like today at church I thought why is there so much hype about Jesus. For instance, baby Jesus in the manger during the service.... you get the picture. Well, its because he's dead. If he were alive we wouldn't have to fake it and relive the whole experience. Its the same with all dead people.

• Like 1

We do the Chrismukkah thing. My aunt (who hosts the holiday feasts) married into a Jewish family (I'm from the Catholic side). Mixing traditions is fun, especially caroling :D What? "The Dreidel Song" is so a carol! :p

I buy gifts for my parents and nieces. Pop in to see my Mum as it makes her day, then treat it like much like any other day. To be honest I'd rather be working and earning. Plan to do some decorating later but before all that I'm off to meet some of the lads for a quick blast round the golf course and a crack of dawn beer, oft known as the "mother in law stiffener" to those poor souls who will be sharing their day with the aforementioned dragon.

I never miss out on an opportunity to celebrate a holiday, regardless of religion. I celebrate it like I would any other holiday - or time off from school/work really.

Family, friends, food, cake, presents, Netflix, games, sleeping in, etc.

Most people in the UK don't really do the Christian thing. We just give gifts and get drunk with family and friends. Tbh Christmas isn't very christian at all anyway.

For me, it's a time to spend with my family, just as it is with Christians.

Just to add though: some of the roots of Christmas are based on pagan beliefs. This time of year was a significant pagan festival long before Christmas was being celebrated. Plus many of the "traditions" associated with Christmas are relatively modern.

• Like 2

Same thing, whether I have a x-mas dinner or a idul-fitri-meal or whether I participate in some hindu-festival. I just hang out with family or friends.

I'm always glad when no one shoves religion down my (or someone else's) throat. And if they do I will profess I don't believe.

I'm happy to form/reinforce bonds, even on the occasion of supposed birthdays of people who supposedly can walk on water, ride on winged horses or who can turn into an elephant. I really mind the food and drinks more than the religious background. And I think everyone else should as well.