Exodus: Gods and Kings--To See or Not To See?

Maybe I've been under a rock, but I just heard about this movie. It was number one at the box office its opening weekend, almost three weeks ago. What are your thoughts on it? Have you seen it or are you planning to see it?

Personally, I'm a little torn. I don't like that it's inaccurate, but then again, what movie ever is accurate? I'm also disturbed by Christian Bale's comments, among other troublesome things about the movie.

At the same time though, I feel we have to encourage the entertainment industry since movies reach a far wider audience than most of us can and generates discussion and debate. Hollywood won't make movies that no one will see. A movie can at least get the conversation going with friends and family, and can give us an opportunity to talk about the Bible and its ultimate message.

So, I probably will end up seeing the movie this weekend, while it's still being shown in movie theaters. How about you?

So, I probably will end up seeing the movie this weekend, while it's still being shown in movie theaters. How about you?

**SPOILER**

Scroll past if you don't want to know anything about the movie :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will eventually see, but probably not at the theater.

A friend of mine saw it and said it had some goofy, non-biblical parts. For example, there is one scene in which Moses is stuck in mud and a little kid (representing God) talks to Moses with the burning bush in the background.

I guess with all of these Hollywood movies I try not to expect any historical accuracy, but perhaps a general overview with a bit of Hollywood dramatization. Unless it's outright blasphemous I do not mind. For example, Jesus of Nazareth is one of my favorite movies (IMHO the choreography is epic along the same lines as Ben-Hur), but has a lot of inaccuracies. Last Temptation of Christ, however, I would not watch.

Battle of five armies though...:)

Maybe I've been under a rock, but I just heard about this movie. It was number one at the box office its opening weekend, almost three weeks ago. What are your thoughts on it? Have you seen it or are you planning to see it?

Personally, I'm a little torn. I don't like that it's inaccurate, but then again, what movie ever is accurate? I'm also disturbed by Christian Bale's comments, among other troublesome things about the movie.

Hey AE...ummm I just heard of it- on your thread:D I wonder if it's as inaccurate as the movie 'Noah'... my daughter rented it and I couldn't stomach it. Whenever I have to say 'that doesn't line up with the Word' or 'ummm that doesn't even come close' over 15 times then I'd rather not bother because I just get discouraged... don't make a movie from the Bible and then rewrite it until it is unrecognizable- not cool.

Let us know what you think, k...

• Author

Thanks for the spoiler alert...although that wasn't much of a spoiler!:p

My first thought was to catch it on DVD. The problem is Hollywood determines what movie projects to pursue based on past financial performance of similar movies. Dollars/profits speak. Is refusing to see a movie because of inaccuracies that don't ultimately impact the message "cutting off my nose to spite my face?" I don't know.

Most movies adapted from novels or about actual people's lives are inaccurate. Thankfully, Hollywood has taken to describing biopics as "inspired by" rather than "based on." I'm glad they're acknowledging how much liberty they take with the facts when they adapt actual stories for the big screen. Biblically-based stories aren't going to be treated any differently. At the end of the day, Hollywood is going for dramatic effect as they do with any movie.

I like your rule of thumb--as long as it's not blasphemous. I'm going to use that as a guide!

**SPOILER**

Scroll past if you don't want to know anything about the movie :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will eventually see, but probably not at the theater.

A friend of mine saw it and said it had some goofy, non-biblical parts. For example, there is one scene in which Moses is stuck in mud and a little kid (representing God) talks to Moses with the burning bush in the background.

I guess with all of these Hollywood movies I try not to expect any historical accuracy, but perhaps a general overview with a bit of Hollywood dramatization. Unless it's outright blasphemous I do not mind. For example, Jesus of Nazareth is one of my favorite movies (IMHO the choreography is epic along the same lines as Ben-Hur), but has a lot of inaccuracies. Last Temptation of Christ, however, I would not watch.

Battle of five armies though...:)

• Like 1
  • Author

It's good to know I wasn't alone under my rock!:laugh: Thank you for that!

I didn't see Noah, so I'm not sure. This seems to have less of an outcry though. Hollywood does have this nasty habit of tweaking everything for dramatic effect. Whenever they do a movie of a novel, people always say the book is better and the movie is inaccurate. But there's a huge audience that would never read (or even hear about) the book if the movie were never made.

Inaccurate as movies are, they seem to generate a new crowd of readers and a lot of discussion. In fact, the inaccuracies get the conversation going about the substance of the book on which the movie is based. In some ways, it's a blessing in disguise and an opportunity to talk about the actual story.:bunny:

I'll let you know what I think after seeing it.

Hey AE...ummm I just heard of it- on your thread:D I wonder if it's as inaccurate as the movie 'Noah'... my daughter rented it and I couldn't stomach it. Whenever I have to say 'that doesn't line up with the Word' or 'ummm that doesn't even come close' over 15 times then I'd rather not bother because I just get discouraged... don't make a movie from the Bible and then rewrite it until it is unrecognizable- not cool.

Let us know what you think, k...

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 1

It wasn't as ambitious as Noah. However it presents Moses as a conventional war general. To the point of starting the movie with a set piece battle scene. Since Moses is a charismatic tough speaking leader Aaron is there just to say his name. Many will be angry in that God manifest himself as an angry child, but to be fair if you were in Egypt at the time how else could you see God?

There was a point where an Egyptian scientist was explaining how God did what he did before killing the children. If they had dropped the opening battle the movie would have came in a regular time and not near three hours. It wasn't the greatest but it wasn't as bad a secular and anti religious critics scored it in my opinion.

• Like 1

Interesting that they portrayed Moses as eloquent when the Bible clearly states that he didn't want to lead Israel because he was "slow of speech." I'm probably to crotchety and picky to see it right now :)

I still haven't seen Son of God, though I want to.