Left-hand path, what is it exactly? Anyone here?

I was reading a lot of stuff because a friend of mine is involved in this, he tried to explain to me the Buddhist view on this, and he also talked about Satanism....

Then he told me to read the Satanic Bible in order to comprehend what he was saying...

But I still don't get it, can anyone here please tell me what is this all about?

Does being a satanist make you a bad person?

Are satanists loyal mates?

Sorry if this seems silly, I really want to understand the subject.

Thank you.

evanescentworld

Pardon me, but as a Buddhist myself, I have no idea what you mean by your friend trying to explain the Left-Hand path to you via "The Buddhist View"...!

WTF is that, exactly? Because in 20+ years of Buddhism, I have NO idea WHAT he's talking about!

• Author

I don't know..., sorry.

I actually thought that Buddhism and this "lef-hand path" thing had nothing to do with each other/are completely opposites, but now I don't know...

That's why I'm asking in here.

I was reading a lot of stuff because a friend of mine is involved in this, he tried to explain to me the Buddhist view on this, and he also talked about Satanism....

Then he told me to read the Satanic Bible in order to comprehend what he was saying...

But I still don't get it, can anyone here please tell me what is this all about?

Thank you.

Hi Mond, Stay away from satanists. Please. I don`t know much about this subject and am not religious but they were/are generally not considered such good catches.

• Like 2
evanescentworld

Ok, I just looked it up. Basically, insofar as Tantric Buddhism is concerned, following the left-hand path is a Vajrayana* practice (therefore much later than the time of the Buddha) but is completely hetorodox to standard Tantric practice.

In other words it goes completely against all accepted practice and teaching.

Therefore, in brief, it's counter-productive to Buddhist practice.

(*The basic position of Vajrayana is still the same as the early Buddhist position of anatta. The changes that took place reflected the changing society of medieval India: the presentation changed, the techniques of the way to enlightenment changed, and the outward appearance of Buddhism came to be dominated by ritualism and arrays of Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, and gods and goddesses.)

• Like 1
evanescentworld

In brief? It's all about crap you really, really do NOT want to get into.

No. Some of the practices are bad, so it makes you a person doing bad things.

Why on earth would you want to get involved with something you already feel uneasy about?

Probably, but then again, they may have agendas, and not all of them hidden.

Thank you.

It seems bloody dangerous, and frankly, I'd steer as clear as possible from even trying to research it. Why would you even care to understand it? Honestly, I'm asking....

Ugh.

Gives me the creeps....

• Like 4
  • Author

At this point I consider myself to be in "recovery" (after the relationship that brought me here) Haydn. I do not wish to have a relationship right now.

However, I am trying to understand this subject. This person tried to explain to me his views about love and hate. But I just don't get it and I'm very curious.

(And even if being a satanist doesn't makes him a bad person, I do not wish to have a relationship right now. Not with him, a catholic, a Buddhist or anyone. I have lots of work to do with myself and I need to do so for a long time before I consider that I'm ready for a relationship again)...

However, thank you :)

However, I am trying to understand this subject. This person tried to explain to me his views about love and hate. But I just don't get it and I'm very curious.

I'm not sure...you're trying to understand this person's views on love and hate, specifically from the perspective of those who label their personal philosophy/believe system as "satanist"? (If so, I'm not sure if the linked article will assist.)

Edgar Cayce described the 'satanist consciousness' as: "The force of self-centeredness, self-gratification, self-indulgence, self-importance, self-righteousness, self-consciousness, self-glorification, self-delusion, self-condemnation, self, ego, the "false god," the "beast"."

From that, I'm seeing a lot of SELF-love, selfish love. Which may not even feel like 'hate' when it's directed at, or turned against, another or others.

And then there is the definition of Satan...and a whole lot more about fallen consciousness/beings (tabs to the left, not at the top).

As I said above, not sure if this'll be of any help with what you're looking for.