Merry Christmas Season To Everyone

On Christmas Eve, 1818, there was a man named Franz Gruber, an Austrian who was the organist for his church in Salzburg. That night the organ was determined to be broken and so they couldn't have their normal Christmas Eve service. It was this night that, in a matter of hours, Franz Gruber wrote what is considered the most beloved Christmas Carol of all time: "Stille Nacht" (in English called "Silent Night"). There was no organ or piano. Just the tranquil sound of voices singing together in four-part harmony.

I know lots of you are on this forum because your life is in disarray and you're struggling. But just remember that out of misfortunate sometimes comes the greatest treasures.

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 13

I heard Stille Nacht played by a bell choir last night. Beautiful as always! It's one of my favorite holiday songs. Thanks so much for sharing the history behind the song.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!

• Like 5
evanescentworld

That's a really lovely post M30USA.

I may not always see eye to eye with some of the things you have posted, but that really resonates. Thank you for posting it, and thank you for the thought for others.

And a very Merry, peaceful and joyful Christmas to you too. With Jingle-bells on! :)

• Like 5
todreaminblue

just a little christmas song,

that turned everything right from wrong,

a song that everyone could sing along,

from one voice to a harmonious throng,

silent night called out one special night,

in chords on choral that shed some light,

to peace on high surrounded by starry sky,

the beautiful sound around ears to fly.......

ok that was bad...smilin....a happy peaceful family and good times ridden xmas to every one.....deb

• Like 2
evanescentworld

Continuing the "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" Theme:

Singing 'Silent Night' and calling "We not shoot, you not shoot", German soldiers began the Christmas Truce of World War One, when whole regiments stopped killing each other and played football in no-man's land instead.

"The Germans started it. That's the miracle. For the first time it wasn't the Germans who waged war but stared a peace," Michael Juergs, the first German author to write a book about the legendary ceasefire of December 1914, told Reuters in Berlin.

British troops holding the front line in Flanders on a cold, clear Christmas Eve four months into the war heard 'Stille Nacht' ('Silent Night') being sung across the battlefield littered with frozen corpses.

They stared clapping and shouting "more, more". German soldiers ventured their heads above the parapets and put candles along the edge of their trenches, writes Juergs in his book The Little Peace in the Great War, published last month.

It resembled the footlights of a theatre, one British solder recalled.

A German officer called: "I am a lieutenant, gentlemen, my life is in your hands. I'm outside the trench and walking towards you. Would one of your officers please meet me half way?"

A British sergeant walked up to him and they started talking. Others followed. The news spread rapidly, with British soldiers taking part readily, and French and Belgian troops more hesitantly, writes Juergs.

"It was maybe almost 1,000 soldiers at first. Then word spread by field telephone."

Along the entire 40 kilometres from the Belgian North Sea port of Nieuwpoort to the town of Ypres, soldiers met and arranged not to shoot each other over Christmas.

Juergs matched war diaries and letters from soldiers on both sides to piece together a detailed account of the series of spontaneous armistices that by December 26 had silenced much of the western front from the North Sea to the Swiss border.

They staged joint burials, hunted rabbits, and cooked a pig. One British soldier, a hairdresser by trade, brought out a stool and offered haircuts to all comers for a few cigarettes a time.

It was the first Christmas of a war that has come to epitomize pointless sacrifice on a biblical scale. In over four years an estimated 10 million military personnel were killed in action or listed as missing, with more than 20 million wounded.

"If there had been live television footage at the time and people had seen the pictures of this truce, it would have been the end the war," said Juergs.

Soldiers exchanged food and cigarettes and showed each other photos of their families. A frequent topic was how best to get rid of lice and the rats that plagued them.

They swapped Dresden 'Stollen' Christmas cake and sausages for British jam and whisky. One German infantryman even handed over a Christmas tree with lit candles.

From Here.

Then, in 1918 - 100 years after the carol was composed - on the 11th day, of the 11th Month, at the 11th hour - A Truce was signed that brought an end to hostilities.

Tragically, War is still a current topic of discussion and very much in evidence even as we speak.

It is a sad indictment of the Human condition, that we have not learnt from past mistakes.

• Like 4
  • Author

From Here.

Then, in 1918 - 100 years after the carol was composed - on the 11th day, of the 11th Month, at the 11th hour - A Truce was signed that brought an end to hostilities.

Tragically, War is still a current topic of discussion and very much in evidence even as we speak.

It is a sad indictment of the Human condition, that we have not learnt from past mistakes.

All true statements. But Einstein said that war won't end until the human heart, itself, changes. And if I recall my Bible, only one person is capable of doing that.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas!!

So, what are your thoughts about the season? Do you think Christmas is "dying"? Or is the true intention of Christmas alive and well?

todreaminblue
Merry Christmas!!

So, what are your thoughts about the season? Do you think Christmas is "dying"? Or is the true intention of Christmas alive and well?

i think the world is dying......

eight kids were killed by seemingly the mother......in australia....six days before xmas...just had my mum on the phone upset about it.....which in turn ...feel pretty torn at the moment......eight kids who were murdered.....one family dessicated......many more to come...just lost the spirit of christmas.........deb

eight kids were killed by seemingly the mother......in australia....six days before xmas...just had my mum on the phone upset about it.....which in turn ...feel pretty torn at the moment......eight kids who were murdered.....one family dessicated......many more to come...just lost the spirit of christmas.........deb

Oh, that is awful!

Yes, the world can be a cruel place.

How can we be a light, when everything is so dark? Can the true spirit of Christmas be kept alive? Or is the pull of consumerism, apathy, and atheism too great in our culture (not to mention the heinous stuff that happens like what you mentioned)?

• Like 1
todreaminblue
Oh, that is awful!

Yes, the world can be a cruel place.

How can we be a light, when everything is so dark? Can the true spirit of Christmas be kept alive? Or is the pull of consumerism, apathy, and atheism too great in our culture (not to mention the heinous stuff that happens like what you mentioned)?

it is awful......:0(......they ranged from 18 months of age to 15 years of age....

i don't know pie....i went shopping today....met more smiles than i did the day before.....i think the christmas spirit will die when no one smiles at anyone..or is game to say happy christmas because it will be outlawed by state...who knows.........i watched son of god a couple of days ago to remind me of the gift ...the man who gave his life for us.....i am going to watch the muppet christmas carol before christmas watch some old christmas shows...listen to white christmas and have yourself a merry little christmas...and try and cheer myself a bit.....going to church tomorrow to sing carols......and going caroling next week.....never been before .....and i have always wanted to......should be fun......

i wish you a merry christmas pie.....a blessed one...heres a smile....:D and a bunny.....:bunny::bunny: ok two........deb

• Like 1
On Christmas Eve, 1818, there was a man named Franz Gruber, an Austrian who was the organist for his church in Salzburg. That night the organ was determined to be broken and so they couldn't have their normal Christmas Eve service. It was this night that, in a matter of hours, Franz Gruber wrote what is considered the most beloved Christmas Carol of all time: "Stille Nacht" (in English called "Silent Night"). There was no organ or piano. Just the tranquil sound of voices singing together in four-part harmony.

I know lots of you are on this forum because your life is in disarray and you're struggling. But just remember that out of misfortunate sometimes comes the greatest treasures.

Wow, this site really needs a 'love' button! This is great thank you, Merry Christmas to you and yours:D

• Like 1
Merry Christmas!!

What I think is actually dying is 'self'. Here in the US 'self' has been exalted to the point of disgusting and people are seeing the manifestation of 'it' and are not liking it, it's ugly. The 'lie' is collapsing under it's own weight.

I think people are coming/returning to what's right and true, both secular and those of faith.

My prayers to you love:( I completely understand how you feel. This tells me you are not desensitized and I don't mean to sound nonchalant about this either. There have been times that the sadness of what's been going on all over the world caused me to be sick in the body. I would think- why do I feel this so deeply...why don't others feel this as deep...how can they be happy- you know?

IMO you are in travail for a reason. A travail for your country possibly. Please my love, if you don't bare a complete witness in your spirit, let these words fall to the ground and die. Your commission is great and taxing and through this a boldness that you've never seen before will immerse you.

The world paints Jesus without authority, not recognizing His true natures. Jesus was bold and told it like it was. When he spoke to the Pharisees correcting them, that was like cussing in those days. He was bold.

Think about these words- I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but through Me. WOW, he turned off every group you can think of back then! That IS bold IMO.

• Like 2

From Here.

E, I'm into the number 11 big time, or consecutive 1's so this is really cool info.

todreaminblue
My prayers to you love:( I completely understand how you feel. This tells me you are not desensitized and I don't mean to sound nonchalant about this either. There have been times that the sadness of what's been going on all over the world caused me to be sick in the body. I would think- why do I feel this so deeply...why don't others feel this as deep...how can they be happy- you know?

IMO you are in travail for a reason. A travail for your country possibly. Please my love, if you don't bare a complete witness in your spirit, let these words fall to the ground and die. Your commission is great and taxing and through this a boldness that you've never seen before will immerse you.

The world paints Jesus without authority, not recognizing His true natures. Jesus was bold and told it like it was. When he spoke to the Pharisees correcting them, that was like cussing in those days. He was bold.

Think about these words- I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but through Me. WOW, he turned off every group you can think of back then! That IS bold IMO.

thanks pure.......when i heard about it...the quiet part of my heart said....let the children come to me...cant remember what part of the bible that was in ..was it jesus talkign to john and his desciples rebukling th disciples.....how i know he will take care of them.... jesus was with children...so patient and kind.....loving and that is what christmas is meant to be about the gift of jesus.......i dont watch the news much....and i have been since the hostage thing in martin place......makes me feel ...a lot of things i shouldnt ...a hopelessness i guess ...of inevitability......that its going to get worse and good people get hurt .....kids get hurt..........and i dont make much difference to suffering....i cant help them and i want to......anyway.....i am going to church today and today is special...most of my family have agreed to come with ..even my mum who has issues with churches she comes to my church..soemtimes....wotn even contemplate goign to church ...god is in her heart .....thats what she tells me......i am going to sing with the kids in my ward and enjoy singing with them......i will be with them....i am learning all their names.......they are wonderful kids...a joy......as all kids are.......they made me a primary kids counsellor and i really hope i do the best i can do for them......hugs to ya.....pure....from me to you.....happy christmas.....deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 2
i don't know pie....i went shopping today....met more smiles than i did the day before.....i think the christmas spirit will die when no one smiles at anyone..or is game to say happy christmas because it will be outlawed by state...who knows.........i watched son of god a couple of days ago to remind me of the gift ...the man who gave his life for us.....i am going to watch the muppet christmas carol before christmas watch some old christmas shows...listen to white christmas and have yourself a merry little christmas...and try and cheer myself a bit.....going to church tomorrow to sing carols......and going caroling next week.....never been before .....and i have always wanted to......should be fun......

i wish you a merry christmas pie.....a blessed one...heres a smile....:D and a bunny.....:bunny::bunny: ok two........deb

Wow, outlaw Christmas...crazy! You never know, it could get to that point :o.

Hope some carols got you in a better place. Caroling should be fun, but I've never done it either! I'd be a little scared, but I think I would laugh a lot (at myself).

I think people are coming/returning to what's right and true, both secular and those of faith.

Hope you're right.

• Like 2
todreaminblue
Wow, outlaw Christmas...crazy! You never know, it could get to that point :o.

Hope some carols got you in a better place. Caroling should be fun, but I've never done it either! I'd be a little scared, but I think I would laugh a lot (at myself).

Hope you're right.

we had a christmas devotional today and it was beautiful.......honest....real.....the carols were gorgeous......when i said outlawed by state......it is already outlawed in some places for santa to say ho ho ho...having religious services at some schools also not done anymore.........you never know merry christmas might be next......

i am in a better place and ill let you know if i go carolling.....i always thought my voice is strange ......but if i am singing with others i can match tone...i like singing deeper than high....i can get up there but its thin and not as full.....mum said i should try and join a choir...i love singing....maybe i might.....smilin...i am always scared pie of somebody telling me to stop singing that i sound terrible..no one ever has....a rather loud voice tells me i suck constantly...i keep singing to drown it out.........i do stand at the back and hide out a little.....:0).....i am back up....lol...

you should go carolling pie just once.....see how you go.....do they have carollers where you live.....in australia it isnt the norm...they have carols in the park sort of thing not door to door......makes it even more special when someone knocks on your doors and theres these smiling faces singing beautiful carols............deb .........

• Like 1
skydiveaddict

9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

• Like 2
Merry Christmas Pie!

Thanks TFW :bunny:!

'Tis the season to be jolly :)

Here's a little Christmas tale...

The Perfect Couple

Once upon a time, a perfect man and a perfect woman met. After a perfect courtship, they had a perfect wedding. Their life together was, of course, perfect.

One snowy, stormy Christmas Eve, this perfect couple was driving their perfect car along a winding road, when they noticed someone at the side of the road in distress. Being the perfect couple, they stopped to help.

There stood Santa Claus with a huge bundle of toys. Not wanting to disappoint any children on the eve of Christmas, the perfect couple loaded Santa and his toys into their vehicle. Soon they were driving along delivering the toys.

Unfortunately, the driving conditions deteriorated and the perfect couple; and Santa Claus had an accident. Only one of them survived the accident.

Question: Who was the survivor?

Answer: The perfect woman survived. She's the only one who really existed in the first place. Everyone knows there is no Santa Claus and there is no such thing as a perfect man.

**** Women stop reading here, that is the end of the joke.****

**** Men keep scrolling.****

So, if there is no perfect man and no Santa Claus, the woman must have been driving. This explains why there was a car accident.

**** Men Keep scrolling.****

By the way, if you're a woman and you're still reading, this illustrates another point: Women never listen.

It's just a joke! No one get upset OK, lol. It's Christmas :)

• Like 2
you should go carolling pie just once.....see how you go.....do they have carollers where you live.....in australia it isnt the norm...they have carols in the park sort of thing not door to door......makes it even more special when someone knocks on your doors and theres these smiling faces singing beautiful carols............deb .........

I wouldn't say caroling is the norm. But I think it happens more in smaller towns. People are a little more willing to open their doors where it's a little safer, maybe? My Grandma has some friends who sing a lot, and they came caroling to her house once. It was AMAZING. In part because it was a white Christmas (which is special/rare for me), so I was just in awe with the whole thing.

We should both try it. You'll be the Australian caroling ambassador. You never know...you could start something.

• Like 1
Thanks TFW :bunny:!

'Tis the season to be jolly :)

Here's a little Christmas tale...

It's just a joke! No one get upset OK, lol. It's Christmas :)

haha cute! :laugh:

...i love singing....maybe i might.....smilin...

Just in case you want a new tradition,

on how to get it started. Of course, you can take it up a notch if needed.

;):);)

On slightly different musical note, I just saw this funny

. Edited by pie2