The FCC won't allow the words God damn

How do I know that? Because they edit out the words "God damn" on many of the TV networks. I think it is ridiculous that you can't say God damn on local TV or radio networks.

First of all what about freedom of speech? Second of all saying God damn is not taking the Lord's name in vain. It is just an expression. If people don't want to hear it they can always change the channel.

I think the FCC is biased in favor of the religious right. By the way I consider myself a believer in Jesus and I say God damn all the time when hitting my thumb with a hammer. Big deal!

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since the airwaves, as used by commercial enterprise, are a quasi-private and regulated medium, rules are set in place and policies are agreed to as a condition of licensure. IMO, in recent decades, the language prohibitions in media have loosened considerably. However, it appears that many still follow the general practice outlined in the linked article.

I recall, growing up, the harshest language in this realm my father would ever use was the word 'darn'. He was a devout Catholic and steadfastly believed that, when one resorted to using profanity, one had run out of intelligent things to say. I found that to be a bit rigid and old-fashioned so rebelled by cussing, whereupon I found myself spending a lot of time in my room without privileges.

Freedom of speech is not without consequences. Probably what you're alluding to is freedom of political speech, where we as citizens are free to speak out against (or for) the government publicly without fear of reprisal for our views by that government. That's a bit different than private media regulated by a public agency limiting the type of language which can be broadcast over the airwaves.

• Like 3

Good.

I don't need swearing coming from the TV.

My house is already filled with profanity,

and I live alone.

• Like 5

Well, while the OP sees this situation as the FCC catering to right wingers, I beg to differ...I believe liberals control the media.

I think the intent is to take the word "God" OUT of being mentioned on TV, in our schools, etc - regardless of the context in which God is mentioned.

I mean, look at what the FCC does allow on TV now a days...the "B" word, sex, and I could go on and on. I mean, it's nothing but drama and dysfunction on our televisions and in the media...Being vulgar and obnoxious is what is "entertainment" now a days...

But for those that still believe the FCC is favoring religious zealots from the right, when you think about it, our country is built on laws that have origin in religious beliefs - for example, killing is a sin and it's against the law. People who get married get certain protections by the law and marriage comes from religious teachings.

• Like 1
How do I know that? Because they edit out the words "God damn" on many of the TV networks. I think it is ridiculous that you can't say God damn on local TV or radio networks.

First of all what about freedom of speech? Second of all saying God damn is not taking the Lord's name in vain. It is just an expression. If people don't want to hear it they can always change the channel.

I think the FCC is biased in favor of the religious right. By the way I consider myself a believer in Jesus and I say God damn all the time when hitting my thumb with a hammer. Big deal!

Good... (ten characters)

• Like 1
  • Author
Good.

I don't need swearing coming from the TV.

My house is already filled with profanity,

and I live alone.

Using the words God damn is not profanity. It is alot better than using the f word.

And taking the Lord's name in vain is more about actions and deeds than the words coming out of someone's mouth. Anyone can honor God through lip service. Lip service means nothing.

And God is way too busy working on projects in other parts of the universe that He doesn't have time to be offended by any creatures saying God damn. There's a big universe out there for a reason and God has things to do out there too.

• Author

It just goes to show that there really is no freedom of religion in this country except for Christians. Only Christians get special privileges. We are still a theocracy and there is a right wing political movement that is fighting to keep it that way and wanting to put prayer back in schools. This is unconstitutional.

I am a believer in Jesus but I do not consider myself a Christian because I reject the doctrine of hell. I believe Jesus saved the whole world and that everyone goes to heaven. To be a Christian today means you can't embrace the belief in the salvation of all.

I also am a strong believer in prayer and it is important in my personal life. However I can look at the issue of school prayer objectively and unbiasedly and say I believe they did the right thing to take prayer out of the public schools and it should never have been in there.

I don't think this country has gone far away enough from a theocracy. They need to take in God we trust off of our money. I believe they should omit under God in the pledge of allegiance. I am all for saluting the flag but not the under God part. If they ever put a cross on the American flag I will stop saluting it.

I believe they should take the 10 commandments out of the courtroom since our nation's laws are not founded on the 10 commandments. Matter of fact take the Bibles out of the courtrooms.

I would even go so far as to support the government if they ever decided to come and confiscate my Bible. Why? Because Christ is the Word of God and not a book. All they can confiscate from my hand is a man made translation that is bent towards self righteousness and political control. God's words are deeply implanted in every human heart. The truth is written in us.

Prayer is also a language of the spirit and not the lips so no human government has the power to block communication with God even if they tell me I can't pray verbally at this place or that place. Jesus was of the belief that prayer should not be done in public anyway. Read Mathew chapter 6. He said go to your closet and pray in secret.

So it is not just atheists who believe in removing all these religious symbols. There are believers in God and Jesus who support this as well. And I think it is so silly to edit out the words God damn just because of a few conservatives that might be offended of their perception of context in which God is used.

I can understand conservatives not wanting their kids to hear sexually graphic stuff like the f word but the expression God damn is not sexually lewd or sexually graphic in any form.

I am a believer in Jesus but I do not consider myself a Christian because I reject the doctrine of hell.

Read Mathew chapter 6. He said go to your closet and pray in secret.

So it is not just atheists who believe in removing all these religious symbols.

So you just pick out the parts of the Bible that you wish to believe in but reject the parts you don't agree with?

Just as you are fine with not praising His name, in fact cursing it publicly, but want His name removed from public display?

Contact your Senator.

I suggest you continue reading Matthew a bit more

18 Matthew 18-20

“Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.

“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

• Like 1
evanescentworld

Did you know that when The Beach Boys first released "God only Knows" as an 'A' side, radio stations gave the 'B' side more air time, because of the use of the word 'God' in the title.

The song has now reached stratospheric heights in popularity. It was cited by Lennon and McCartney as probably the best love song ever written, bar none, and has been recorded recently, by the BBC, featuring a host of famous names, as a fundraising song for our very well -known charity, "Children in Need". Brian Wilson also features.

How times change. Or don't.....

Edited by evanescentworld
  • Like 1
It just goes to show that there really is no freedom of religion in this country except for Christians. Only Christians get special privileges. We are still a theocracy and there is a right wing political movement that is fighting to keep it that way and wanting to put prayer back in schools. This is unconstitutional.

The use of the term "god damn" is apparently not considered actionable by the FCC. According to a report issued following complaints stemming from an unedited airing of "Saving Private Ryan":

For the same reasons, the agency said, the material was not profane "in context." The FCC further concluded that the words "Jesus," "Jesus Christ," "God," "God damn" and its variations are not actionable, citing precedent in which courts held that material, such as the phrase "God damn it" uttered in anger, while offensive to some, is not legally profane for purposes of Section 1464.

Indecency Update - Mass Media Headlines - Wiley Rein LLP

Furthermore, their are other religious groups which receive protection under the constitutionally mandated freedom of religion:

Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally, it is perfectly constitutional for students to pray in school. Contrary to common assertion, students can pray all they like without breaking any law. They might get in trouble with the school for not paying attention or causing a disruption if they are praying aloud. But they can certainly pray.

• Like 1

I don't know, while the U.S. may appear to be a nation that has a separation of church and state, I find that hard to believe...

I mean, again, look at our laws - lots of them based on some religious beliefs (i.e. do not steal, kill).

Look at what happens around Christmas - everything shuts down. Do you see that for Ramadan or Rosh Hashanah?

I haven't gone to the churches for years cuz I hate certain things about things that do or do not happen. I'm fortunate that I think I have gathered enough teachings where I can read scripture in the privacy of my home and pray to God. I also do not need anyone lecturing me on tattoos, drinking, or how I live - that's between me and God cuz if God wanted all of us to be mindless zombies following one faith, He would have done that. On Judgment Day I will pay for what I did or didn't do.

We have the right to chose - without church, government, or whomever telling us what to believe or how to practice it.

Now, it is a tricky thing cuz if someone/something (i.e. church, government, etc) does not require us to have religion introduced and/or taught to us in some manner, then where are we gonna get it from and/or is man capable to outline his own conduct without divine instruction? Also, many religions are not just about confessions and groupings on Sundays - religious instruction is also a way of life (i.e. diet, interaction with others, how to write your will).

About hell? If we were on this planet w/o a consequence for our actions, then what incentive would we have to do "right" while were here? What's the point of us even being here? To eat, poop, have kids and die? For that I would slit my neck right now and call it a day.

BTW, sometimes I walk by and see Sunday church goers and while I don't believe in people wearing the crazy big hats and expensive suit and tie to church - at the same time, people going to church dressed like they are going to the supermarket (i.e. khakis and tennis shoes) just drives me up the wall. If you are going to church, show some respect for yourself and dress at least like business casual (i.e. a pair of slacks and blouse or a summer dress). I mean, I wear heels and a sexy dress to the club - cuz it's the freakin' club. You don't wear that to church. There's a time/place for how you dress...geesh.

The use of the term "god damn" is apparently not considered actionable by the FCC. According to a report issued following complaints stemming from an unedited airing of "Saving Private Ryan":

Indecency Update - Mass Media Headlines - Wiley Rein LLP

Furthermore, their are other religious groups which receive protection under the constitutionally mandated freedom of religion:

Church of Lukumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally, it is perfectly constitutional for students to pray in school. Contrary to common assertion, students can pray all they like without breaking any law. They might get in trouble with the school for not paying attention or causing a disruption if they are praying aloud. But they can certainly pray.

BTW, you guys are lucky you're not in certain countries. I went to school in a Hispanic country and religion was MANDATORY - Catholic teachings. You had to go through hoops through the Minister of Education to get them to exempt you - which never happened.

Teachers also had the right to hit the kids with rulers...and, this was all in public schools - not private schools.

I mean, again, look at our laws - lots of them based on some religious beliefs (i.e. do not steal, kill).

You don't need religion to see the utility of having laws against murder and theft. A society that allowed these things wouldn't function very well, would it?

Look at what happens around Christmas - everything shuts down. Do you see that for Ramadan or Rosh Hashanah?

I am unaware of any laws against businesses being open on Christmas. I live in a conservative area, and their are plenty of gas stations, conveniences stores, theaters, and restaurants open on Christmas.

Their are "Blue Sunday" laws in certain states that prevent businesses from selling alcohol on Sunday. So, technically this one is respecting an establishment of religion. However the law is easily circumvented, and most states are repealing them.

You don't need religion to see the utility of having laws against murder and theft. A society that allowed these things wouldn't function very well, would it?

Yes, but "who" established these laws against murder and theft, man?

I am unaware of any laws against businesses being open on Christmas. I live in a conservative area, and their are plenty of gas stations, conveniences stores, theaters, and restaurants open on Christmas.

Duh, I know businesses are open on Christmas...But Xmas is a Federal and State holiday. Is that a separation of church and state? Do you see Ramadan or Rosh Hashanah as a Federal or State holiday?

Their are "Blue Sunday" laws in certain states that prevent businesses from selling alcohol on Sunday. So, technically this one is respecting an establishment of religion. However the law is easily circumvented, and most states are repealing them.

My responses are in bold ^^

BTW, you guys are lucky you're not in certain countries. I went to school in a Hispanic country and religion was MANDATORY - Catholic teachings. You had to go through hoops through the Minister of Education to get them to exempt you - which never happened.

Teachers also had the right to hit the kids with rulers...and, this was all in public schools - not private schools.

In the U.S., IMO, I'm all for homeschooling and/or allowing families to choose where their kids go to school (not mandated by the district/county)...Schools are, IMO, just institutionalized daycare that have become over taken by "political correctness" and kids don't learn a thing besides giving/getting a bj in the school bathrooms.

My responses are in bold ^^

I am unable to quote your responses, since you embedded them in my response.

Yes, men established those laws. As an atheist, I attribute all laws to men. I'm not sure what your argument is on this point? That we should do away with laws against murder and theft because they were propagated and enforced w/ help from the threat of hell?

One could certainly argue that Federally mandating religious holidays to be observed as federal holidays is a separation of church and state. Court's have often ruled that holidays like Christmas and Easter have been sufficiently "secularized" to pass constitutional muster:

The Circuit Court ruling commented: "A statute whose primary effect is to advance a secular purpose, rather than a religious one, is still constitutional even if it conveys an incidental benefit to those of a specific religion..." An Easter holiday "does not mention or imply that the holiday is to be spent attending religious services in recognition of this Christian holy day. The statute merely gives people the days off to spend as they like..."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/sch_holy.htm

Furthermore, some federal and circuit courts have deemed that "Good Friday" cannot be held out as a state mandated holiday. So, Christianity doesn't have an unblemished record in that regard.

• Author

No matter what beliefs we have about the afterlife there are earthly consequences to actions. That's a self evident truth. We don't need a doctrine of hell to have consequences. The absence of hell does not mean there are no consequences.

It should go without saying that if one steals there's a good chance they will go to jail or pay a fine. We have laws in our human government as an incentive to keep people in line.

If I lie to you all the time and we are friends then the consequence is that you will no longer trust me and I will lose our friendship as you can't be around someone who lies to you. Those are natural consequences even if everyone goes to heaven in the end.

Killing someone will get them life in prison or death penalty. We might live on this planet for 120 years before crossing over to heaven. That's a long time to deal with painful consequences of choices. Being selfish and losing the respect and credibility in the eyes of society while living here is enough incentive to do good and try to be an upstanding person. Heaven is not a reward for living a life of discipline and good conduct. It is a free gift God gives away by His grace alone.

I know some folks don't like the idea of someone like Hitler going to heaven but we are not God and we are not nearly as gracious and forgiving as God is. His ways and thoughts are higher than our ways and thoughts.

So the ultimate consequence for living a selfish life is that even though God forgives society will not and society does have a threshold and will judge us for our actions. God doesn't need to add to that judgment through the creation of an afterlife hell.

Using the words God damn is not profanity. It is alot better than using the f word.

And taking the Lord's name in vain is more about actions and deeds than the words coming out of someone's mouth. Anyone can honor God through lip service. Lip service means nothing.

And God is way too busy working on projects in other parts of the universe that He doesn't have time to be offended by any creatures saying God damn. There's a big universe out there for a reason and God has things to do out there too.

WOW! So you are Gods' manager and know what God is up to?? Ask if I can be pencilled in for a five minute chat, got some questions to ask :)

First- The use of Go$ Dam% is profane and IS using it in vain.

I learned to not offend most by changing it up a bit! I say "Cheese and crackers! Or "Cheese and rice!". Gets the message across that I am upset about something without bringing a deity into the mix.

Takes a bit of self awareness to know that profanity needn't clutter up the english language when we have so many other delightful terms given to us thru webster.

Will say this, God doesn't care what you wear when in worship....This formality that clothes determine your Level of faith is silly.

• Author

Church should be a place where you can feel free to be yourself. Therefore I al all for wearing whatever you want. Church should be the one place where there is no dress code.

We live in a judgmental world everywhere we go throughout the week and church should feel like a safe haven to go to if it claims to be God's house. To have a dress code would mean the church is no different than the world. We have dress codes in court rooms and that's fine but I shouldn't have to feel like I am going to court when I go to church.

• Author
WOW! So you are Gods' manager and know what God is up to?? Ask if I can be pencilled in for a five minute chat, got some questions to ask :)

First- The use of Go$ Dam% is profane and IS using it in vain.

I learned to not offend most by changing it up a bit! I say "Cheese and crackers! Or "Cheese and rice!". Gets the message across that I am upset about something without bringing a deity into the mix.

Takes a bit of self awareness to know that profanity needn't clutter up the english language when we have so many other delightful terms given to us thru webster.

Will say this, God doesn't care what you wear when in worship....This formality that clothes determine your Level of faith is silly.

God damn is just a slang term. I have never claimed to be God's manager but there's a reason a wide universe is out there that God created with the other planets and galaxies. I would think He has better things to be concerned about in His big universe factory than someone who calls out God damn when they hit their thumb with a hammer.

If God isn't all that concerned about answering my prayers then why the hell would He care about the words coming out of my mouth even if I was cursing at Him in anger?

Most religions view God as some probation officer or military drill instructor. That's disgusting. I get more than enough human probation officers on earth. I don't need God to add insult to injury. But that's how alot of churches portray God.

Edited by Darren2013