Dating a Seventh Day Adventist

Recently had a woman I met ask me out. She's a Christian flavor that's more of in the serious minority. We get to talking as I'm a regular Christian, but she mentions she's a Seventh Day Adventist.

I thought nothing of this, as I know many Christian's don't mind dating someone as long as they are ...well, Christian. But she's actually very particular in her case as she's serious about only dating another 7th Day Adventist.

What's kind of ironic, is that she's Hispanic and suprisingly not Catholic. Apparently she came into this religion only because her father was a convert from the Catholic faith.

We did both acknowledge that most people she knows don't care what SPECIFIC religion they date or marry into as long as they are Christian, however, in her case...she's only limiting herself to her specific faith.

I was like, "Hey, listen, how many SINGLE men, do you know of, that are actually 7th Day Adventists?" And she says, hardly any.

And I was like, "So why limit yourself so strigently? I know plenty of Baptists that married Presbyterians"

Even my own family married varying flavors of Christian.

Are Seventh Day Adventists that strict? Do they have no leniency on who they date?

Happens all the time. Catholics only marrying Catholics, Evangelic Christians marry only evangelics....it comes down to their interpretation of "don't be unequally yoked"

Forget having anything with her...won't happen or won't last.

• Author
Happens all the time. Catholics only marrying Catholics, Evangelic Christians marry only evangelics....it comes down to their interpretation of "don't be unequally yoked"

Forget having anything with her...won't happen or won't last.

A lot of my Catholic family members married outside of their faith. I know plenty that have. Their marriages are fine. *shrug*

Heck, Catholics are probably the most guilty of marrying non-Catholics. It may only be considered a perk if the person they date just so happens to be Catholic.

Adventists can marry non Adventists, just not in the Adventist church.

Sounds like she wants an Adventist wedding, marriage, husband. She should date an Adventist, of someone willing to convert.

I was using Catholic as an example

I was raised Catholic...12 years of private Catholic school....was married in Catholic church. Yes, they can marry non-Catholics but it is not encouraged by any stretch. If married in the church then dispensation is required. It is pretty much hammered into you the advantages of keeping things within the faith. I know if I had brought home a non-Catholic it would of caused family problems at the time.

Of course given how things turned out...I think they would have preferred a satanist.

Edited by Allumere
  • Author
Adventists can marry non Adventists, just not in the Adventist church.

Sounds like she wants an Adventist wedding, marriage, husband. She should date an Adventist, of someone willing to convert.

Yeah, good luck with that. The woman is over 50, no kids. Chances are she'd have a chance in her younger years, but now....not likely. She'll stand a chance if she were more open about dating someone who is AT LEAST Christian. Perhaps she'll give some leniency when she realizes her chances are slim here.

Also, not going to follow that rule where you can't go out on Fri (or is it Sat.) nights. lol

Edited by irc333