Joel Osteen's wife, Victoria, in spotlight for comments...

If you haven't seen this already, here's a video clip. I originally saw an article about this on Yahoo! this morning:

I have a few questions for everybody to get a discussion going.

1) What is your overall impression of her comments?

2) Do you believe this view is shared by Joel Osteen (her husband)?

3) How does her view agree/disagree with Scripture, in your opinion?

Joel Osteen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of 2012, his net worth is reportedly $56,508,500, and he lives with his family in a $10,500,000 mansion.

Didn't Jesus speak out against this type of hypocrisy? Maybe he should take some of his fortune, and direct it to attenuating some of the worlds suffering.

I was just on Bart Ehrman's blog, and he was taking all donations and giving them to charity. Ehrman has nowhere near the wealth of this guy. Furthermore, he's agnostic, so he's not obligated by Jesus to give his wealth to the less fortunate.

The Osteen's are the ultimate frauds, and give the Christian religion a bad name.

Nothing they say should be taken seriously.

Here's a nice response to her comments:

http://youtu.be/00-6OyXVA0M

Edited by endlessabyss
  • Like 3

I can't stand Joel Osteen. This youtube video pretty much sums up my thoughts on Mr. Osteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiVnEYjTI8o

I'm not a huge fan of Donny Swaggart and his theatrical sermons either usually, but I just like what he has to say about these new prosperity preachers.

Edited by anika99
added to post
  • Author

For every 10 pastors that teach a false gospel, there is maybe 1 that teaches the true gospel (as taught by Jesus). I am being liberal in my estimate here. It could be even less.

• Author
I can't stand Joel Osteen. This youtube video pretty much sums up my thoughts on Mr. Osteen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiVnEYjTI8o

I'm not a huge fan of Donny Swaggart and his theatrical sermons either usually, but I just like what he has to say about these new prosperity preachers.

Not a fan of dramatic teachers like Swaagart, but using only his words and doctrine, he seems to be correct in this video.

todreaminblue

god does want us to be happy ...doing good does make a person happy if you look at ti from an eternal perspective....but above ourselves .....god places himself...his will is more important than our will ...as his will is true ......sometimes i dont want to go to church......i mean really dont want to go.....i ache im sore covered in bruises...my right arm which i have to raise alot i cant move it that well anymore.....my left arm is stronger now as my right arm sucks....... i hardly sleep....but i go ...because god wants me to.....be there......and satan tries to stop me.....and has succeeded too on occasion.......so i go in spite of how i feel now...happy sad glad or not..........and i am always happier after church i feel calm and peaceful.......i put gods will on getting me there above my own and yes church actually does make me happy......i do know god doesn't want anyone to be half hearted about worship and to worship with passion in reverance.....truth

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou ?

27 And he answering said , Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

<< Luke 10:26Luke 10:27

and this one i feel pertains to the youtube video.......

Hebrews 12:28

Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

psalm95:6

O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.

maybe she is taking reference from this verse.......

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.

Psalm 95:1

and then putting her own interpretation onto those words......involving the whole church service....which is probably a really bad idea...there is joy to be had but not the sole purpose....but its not really a personal joy but a joy for the lord to know we have joy because of him through him we owe it all to him....headache ensues.....i just like the scriptures i think they say everything we need to know.........deb

• Author

Does God want us to be happy all the time? I don't mean joy. I mean happiness, which is the state of having elevated emotions and levels of brain neurotransmitters.

I thought we left the "ME" generation behind...back in the 60's. has it come full circle so quickly? yes there is rewards for Gods' will, yet somewhere some way, there needs to be "WE". Meaning the father, son, and holy spirit "WE", that remains in tact first and foremost. This lady is caught up in the mega-church mentality and needs to break it down to being humble unto the lord.

Where two or more gather, there is the church of God. Any day of the week :)

• Like 1
  • Author
No promise is made of such a thing in the Bible to my understanding (of course still absorbing).

Actually there ARE promises by Jesus Christ to his followers. They are: 1) false accusations, 2) rejection, 3) trials

However, he also promised that he would give us the strength to OVERCOME these things.

• Like 1
Actually there ARE promises by Jesus Christ to his followers. They are: 1) false accusations, 2) rejection, 3) trials

However, he also promised that he would give us the strength to OVERCOME these things.

exactly...he does want the best for us...and that only come thru him...

of course, I am like the average heathen...it is a struggle to exist in our secular realm without the things it has defined for happiness...even when one knows the truth. That said, 56million is a bit much happiness IMHO ;)

• Like 1
god does want us to be happy ...doing good does make a person happy if you look at ti from an eternal perspective....but above ourselves .....god places himself...his will is more important than our will ...as his will is true ......sometimes i dont want to go to church......i mean really dont want to go.....i ache im sore covered in bruises...my right arm which i have to raise alot i cant move it that well anymore.....my left arm is stronger now as my right arm sucks....... i hardly sleep....but i go ...because god wants me to.....be there......and satan tries to stop me.....and has succeeded too on occasion.......so i go in spite of how i feel now...happy sad glad or not..........and i am always happier after church i feel calm and peaceful.......i put gods will on getting me there above my own and yes church actually does make me happy......i do know god doesn't want anyone to be half hearted about worship and to worship with passion in reverance.....truth

I find myself here most of the time. I feel bad in the body a lot, but that's normal and I manage to do other things, so... maybe I don't feel led to go or am out of the will of God- just don't know. This isn't meant to cut down churches at all, just know that when I was going to this one church where the Spirit moved freely and there was no structured "schedule" you couldn't keep me out of there. We would worship for hours and hours. I do that at home with my grandchildren. The Spirit moves freely here if I'm not tripping out or something.

Deb, you have been traumatized greatly in your life...so have have I. This world IMO is in a state of trauma. I don't think it makes much difference whether we put ourselves there or not, the fact is it's trauma. I think the Lord is pulling us out of this trauma, at least that's what I'm picking up in the Spirit.

Like Allumere or Tayla (can't remember) pointed out- where two or more are gathered... this may not be the same as forsaking the fellowship, although I get a lot of fellowship online and everywhere I go, so shouldn't church be 24/7? A way of life and not just on Sundays or Saturday nights?

Anyway, hope this makes sense because I've probably used my quota of brain cells these past couple of weeks:)

If you haven't seen this already, here's a video clip. I originally saw an article about this on Yahoo! this morning:

I have a few questions for everybody to get a discussion going.

1) What is your overall impression of her comments?

2) Do you believe this view is shared by Joel Osteen (her husband)?

3) How does her view agree/disagree with Scripture, in your opinion?

Just an observation and asking if anyone else has noticed this. In watching Joel and Victoria interact, I feel like they struggle for attention. Thinking I've picked up a few times where Joel got very irritated (but held it in) with Victoria when she would speak...most of the time she's had to almost interrupt him...IDK maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, although I don't feel like their marriage is doing well off camera. Realizing that no marriage is perfect, but I feel like they stay together for the "ministry". I think she loves him...

I'll take joy any day of the week- joy is eternal, happiness is temporal.

• Like 2

Pureinheart- Sometimes its the non verbal clues that do stand out. Her body language and his facial expressions cannot be masked. So yes, there is a bit of concern.

Its up to them to repair the marital portion.

Be well, keep your mystery alive for that is when Gods gifts show us the way.

• Author
Pureinheart- Sometimes its the non verbal clues that do stand out. Her body language and his facial expressions cannot be masked. So yes, there is a bit of concern.

Its up to them to repair the marital portion.

Be well, keep your mystery alive for that is when Gods gifts show us the way.

I wasn't aware of any marital problems with the Osteens. All I heard was Victoria threw a fit against a flight stewardess and the stewardess later on pressed charges for assault. I believe it wasn't founded. But I'm sure there was still a fit.

Paul says that one of the many signs of living in the flesh is "outbursts of rage".