Is smoking cigarettes a sin?

littleplanet

*chuckle*

Thanks for the laugh of the day, OP.

only as sinful as whatever else you do that might make you go blind.

It's rotten for your health (as are a gazzillion perfectly legal and socially acceptable things we do) but no.........it never made it onto the bestseller list of the seven deadlies.

What comes out of a tailpipe still does more mischief. And still far more necessary an evil.

Good luck with the quitting! :D

bubbaganoosh

Well you see that when Moses received the 10 commandments, he tripped and fell and part of the tablet broke off and the part that broke off was the 11th one. "Thou shall not smoke either a cigarette, cigar or a blunt.

I'm trying to quit.

Yes, it is... I'm trying to quit also. If you don't mind I'll lift you and myself up in prayer...

I would say nothing is a sin. There is only more or less helpful and productive behavior. Nicotine is addictive, and it is difficult to control addictions to a level of "moderation" that isn't harmful.

I want to add something interesting. Back in '93 I joined a Marriage Restoration group. The groups purpose was to restore married couples back to the Lord. We were given a more mature couple as a guide- accountability.

As a side note, I've smoked and quit throughout my life.

Anyway, the couple assigned to us told me the smoking needed to go now. My focus was set directly on that. Remembering clearly this one particular incident, I was being triggered left and right and began blaming everyone and everything around me, then God turned the mirror on me and wow- cried for four days repenting.

After that the Lord told me specifically that smoking was the least of His concerns with me...it was my heart that was the problem.

Smoking IMO is a symptom a result of something greater. For me it's straight up rebellion and lack of trust in God.

• Like 1
I'm trying to quit.

Is it a sin according to what belief? The Church of Tattoos would probably say no.

The Mormons, OTOH, think drinking coffee is a sin. I once gave up sex, cigarettes, and coffee, all on the same day.

Using the basic logic that your body is a temple, anything not good for you is a sin. So eating too much salt or fat, not getting enough sleep, and having high blood pressure are all sins. Being fat is a sin. Being too skinny is a sin. Getting sunburned is a sin [and it can get you in trouble in the military!]. Not exercising is a sin. Doing the wrong kind of exercise is a sin.

In short, not being perfect in any way is a sin.

TheFinalWord
I'm trying to quit.

What defiles a man? Jesus answers:

Playing Matthew 15 by Alexander Scourby - picosong

“Hear and understand: It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.

But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” And he said, “Are you also still without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.

Edited by TheFinalWord
What defiles a man? Jesus answers:

Playing Matthew 15 by Alexander Scourby - picosong

“Hear and understand: It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.

But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” And he said, “Are you also still without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.

So you don't believe gluttony is a sin? How about getting drunk and watching TV all day?

I think that Jesus would say this is "straining at a gnat while swallowing a camel". (No pun intended on the "camel".) There are things much more important than that which affects our physical health.

TheFinalWord
So you don't believe gluttony is a sin? How about getting drunk and watching TV all day?

Good question. Interestingly, this was a common approach used to attack Jesus, when He uncovered the true origin of sin...the human heart.

John the Baptist lived a very ascetic life, and the Pharisees said he was possessed by a demon. Jesus was very engaged with the low lifes of society, and the Pharisees called him a drunkard and glutton. This uncovered that the Pharisees were not really interested in pursuing God. No matter what kind of messenger God sends, they find reasons to reject it because they do not really want it (motivation).

But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their playmates, “‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’ For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’

Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.”

Short clip:

Edited by TheFinalWord
added link
TheFinalWord
So was that a yes or a no? A simple honest answer would be appreciated.

Yes to gluttony (1500 kal/hr limit is the biblical definition of gluttony, while 3 drinks per day the definition of drunk for men). No to TV unless it's over 120 minutes at one time (at least 30 mins, average length of college football half time, between blocks of 120 mins), the biblical guideline for screen time. So, in your example of drunk television watching, if the alcohol was processed within 120 minutes of tv time, technically you only committed the sin of drinking, not watching too much tv. However, if you have adequate amounts of alcohol dehydrogenases enzyme and food in your stomach, (assuming you did not each more than 1500 k/hour, e.g. gluttony), and kept TV time to >120 mins, you are likely not drunk, in which you could eat, drink, and watch TV all at the same time, and still not sin.

Prescription: 10 hail mary's (just to be safe). :laugh:

• Like 2

It's probably a sin, but only when you force others to second-hand smoke. Like Jesus said, it's what comes out of your mouth, ie, the exhaling.

• Like 1
It's probably a sin, but only when you force others to second-hand smoke. Like Jesus said, it's what comes out of your mouth, ie, the exhaling.

tou·ché :laugh:

Yes to gluttony (1500 kal/hr limit is the biblical definition of gluttony, while 3 drinks per day the definition of drunk for men). No to TV unless it's over 120 minutes at one time (at least 30 mins, average length of college football half time, between blocks of 120 mins), the biblical guideline for screen time. So, in your example of drunk television watching, if the alcohol was processed within 120 minutes of tv time, technically you only committed the sin of drinking, not watching too much tv. However, if you have adequate amounts of alcohol dehydrogenases enzyme and food in your stomach, (assuming you did not each more than 1500 k/hour, e.g. gluttony), and kept TV time to >120 mins, you are likely not drunk, in which you could eat, drink, and watch TV all at the same time, and still not sin.

Prescription: 10 hail mary's (just to be safe). :laugh:

You win......LOL....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...