"Fake it until you make it"

This is a slogan by Joel Osteen. It basically means a person fakes being well, happy, and prosperous even if they are sick, sad, and in poverty. He recommends we do this "until we make it". Then, of course, we can stop faking and be our true selves.

In light of Robin Williams' passing and the nature of his battle with depression and alcoholism contrasted with his seemingly happy and humorous public appearance, how do you feel about Joel Osteen's philosophy? Is it true, accurate, and biblical? Is it safe?

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 1

I would say that you can't fake yourself out when it comes to happiness. You may be able to trick your neighbors or the world into thinking you're happy and prosperous even if you're not, but never yourself. And if you go down that road and you start to build ... distance between the image you are projecting to the world and the truth. If that makes it harder for you to address your problems then ... then its not good. I would say that if your true self is sad or depressed then you should act sad or depressed trying to cut the "bad" emotions out of the human experience doesn't get rid of them.

So I guess I'm against his theory when it comes to things like satisfaction with life but if you want to play hockey and you don't know how ... fake it till you make it.

Faking it, till you make it of course refers to gaining the right attitude. If you are clinically depressed or suffered from years of substance abuse, there must be other measures to be taken.

It's like, don't wait for happiness, start being happy right now. Instead of chasing it, you are being it.

• Like 3
melodicintention
This is a slogan by Joel Osteen.

Is it true, accurate, and biblical?
As far as I know, that quote isn't in the bible as you just noted yourself it was a quote by Joel Oseen, so I'd have to bear to say no it's no biblical in origin. Is it true that faking it till you make it will work (I assume that is your question)...I can say yes it works. Is it accurate? Again I'd say, yes it works.

Here's my example. I wanted to be a great musician. And I wasn't very good for a long time, but I put up sticky notes saying "I'm a great musician" and I told myself I was good, I told people one day I will be great! And over the years I learned to compose everything from classical to blues to rock and roll. I told myself I was talented and today, it has come true. It all was due to believing in myself and that I had the ability, and by thinking positive I reached my goals.

So yes, it is safe to assume this mantra works.

As far as the biblical stuff, can't help you there, I'm totally agnostic and attribute all my successes to my own working hard and practice. But if there were a god, I would say it would tell you that using this mantra is safe and recommended. Why would it be a bad thing to tell yourself you are happy/successful/talented/organized/cheerful or whatever positive thing you aspire to be? I can't see how it could influence you to do hurtful or negative things.

So....fake it till you make it! believe you are what you want to be, and yes, you can definitely become whatever you want

And I don't think Robin was faking anything. He was a colorful person, and all artists, ALL OF US are kooky on levels others can't understand. Plus he was on medication that may have led him to suicide. You can't know what he was going through.

• Like 1

I would say that is what most Christians do daily. I do not mean this is a snide way.

Sin, repent, repeat.

None of us will ever be exactly where we should be in our relationship with Christ. The newbies are over zealous and clueless....so happy to be saved and wanting to shout off the rooftops (guess they hadn't read that far yet)...others (um..me) quietly steam along challenged by the various interpretations or struggling with points in the Bible they don't like but very solid in their personal relationship with God. Lets face it, we are all sinners but we want to do better. So when we fail we repent and try again. And yes, we may fail yet again, but as long as we are trying to do whatever we can to live as we have been asked, things will eventually click and that weakness, whatever it was, will become buried in the past.

Edited by Allumere
  • Like 1
This is a slogan by Joel Osteen. It basically means a person fakes being well, happy, and prosperous even if they are sick, sad, and in poverty. He recommends we do this "until we make it". Then, of course, we can stop faking and be our true selves.

In light of Robin Williams' passing and the nature of his battle with depression and alcoholism contrasted with his seemingly happy and humorous public appearance, how do you feel about Joel Osteen's philosophy? Is it true, accurate, and biblical? Is it safe?

Evidence of late suggests that smiling, even if forced, can make you happier. The causal relationship between emotions and facial expressions seem to work both ways.

Smile! It Could Make You Happier

Making an emotional face—or suppressing one—influences your feelings

Smile! It Could Make You Happier - Scientific American

• Like 2
So when we fail we repent and try again. And yes, we may fail yet again, but as long as we are trying to do whatever we can to live as we have been asked, things will eventually click and that weakness, whatever it was, will become buried in the past.

Or (in my case anyway) my weakness just magnifies (the Bible calls it "perfects") God's strength. He gets me through it.

The point is, whether I fake it or not, my best bet is to keep my eye on the ball: focus on Christ, follow His lead. It always works out better if I stick with that game-plan.

Worrying about things is a waste of time (but I still do it). "Faking it" is neither here nor there, as far as its inherent goodness (but I still do it). Doesn't matter. If I don't have Christ, I can't do anything (no matter what I do). But if I do have Christ, I can do all things. No matter what I do. Clear as mud, I know. But it works for me. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

• Like 3
  • Author
Or (in my case anyway) my weakness just magnifies (the Bible calls it "perfects") God's strength. He gets me through it.

The point is, whether I fake it or not, my best bet is to keep my eye on the ball: focus on Christ, follow His lead. It always works out better if I stick with that game-plan.

Worrying about things is a waste of time (but I still do it). "Faking it" is neither here nor there, as far as its inherent goodness (but I still do it). Doesn't matter. If I don't have Christ, I can't do anything (no matter what I do). But if I do have Christ, I can do all things. No matter what I do. Clear as mud, I know. But it works for me. :bunny::bunny::bunny:

I like this.

• Author

I guess my main beef with "fake it until you make it" is this...why isn't the goal ever worthwhile and eternal things? Osteen never once in his books says to make our goals such things as righteousness, humility, brokenness, purity of heart, sacrificial love, or any of the other things which Christ told us to pursue. Incidentally, by the way, Christ never once encouraged us to pursue health, wealth, and prosperity (at least earthly). So I guess I'd have no problem with "fake it until you make it" if it actually was in the pursuit of worthwhile things.

• Like 2
TheFinalWord

I don't think Osteen is telling people to live in a state of denial or recommending this strategy as a clinical technique for individuals with a serious mental disorder. My guess is he is trying to tell people that you have to mentally resist negativity, as it is a natural proclivity to complain and crumble. The bible calls it grumbling.

Who are we, that you should grumble against us?” Moses also said, “You will know that it was the Lord when he gives you meat to eat in the evening and all the bread you want in the morning, because he has heard your grumbling against him. Who are we? You are not grumbling against us, but against the Lord.

• Like 1

No it's not safe, it's not reality, it's not real. God is real, so why shouldn't we be?

I watched my Godmother live under these pretenses until she became "not real" and then I had to walk away. I think this thinking drove her to almost insanity, I've seen this with others also.

I realize the Scripture that could be cited to support this mindset- Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. I would debate that God is speaking of the things of God, spiritual things and not necessarily the things that pertain to this world.

I guess my main beef with "fake it until you make it" is this...why isn't the goal ever worthwhile and eternal things? Osteen never once in his books says to make our goals such things as righteousness, humility, brokenness, purity of heart, sacrificial love, or any of the other things which Christ told us to pursue. Incidentally, by the way, Christ never once encouraged us to pursue health, wealth, and prosperity (at least earthly). So I guess I'd have no problem with "fake it until you make it" if it actually was in the pursuit of worthwhile things.

M30 I'm going to keep this short (because I want to start cussing). After not seeing any of Joel's teachings for about a year now, I decided to watch one a bit ago. It was disturbing as I looked "inside" what he was teaching and I was not happy.

Then I saw your thread and I am very angry concerning his logo- very angry. I feel the message teaches to be self-absorbed. Jesus taught us to be real- that when we are weak, we are in fact strong.

To get on our faces and cry before God with a repentant heart would be best IMO.

• Author
M30 I'm going to keep this short (because I want to start cussing). After not seeing any of Joel's teachings for about a year now, I decided to watch one a bit ago. It was disturbing as I looked "inside" what he was teaching and I was not happy.

Then I saw your thread and I am very angry concerning his logo- very angry. I feel the message teaches to be self-absorbed. Jesus taught us to be real- that when we are weak, we are in fact strong.

To get on our faces and cry before God with a repentant heart would be best IMO.

The man has a large golden earth on his podium. When asked why he doesn't have a cross, he said he doesn't like to "offend" anybody or turn people away. I'm sorry but the cross, by definition, is offensive merely due to what it represents. So if you're not preaching the cross...then...what exactly are you preaching? The golden calf?

The man has a large golden earth on his podium. When asked why he doesn't have a cross, he said he doesn't like to "offend" anybody or turn people away. I'm sorry but the cross, by definition, is offensive merely due to what it represents. So if you're not preaching the cross...then...what exactly are you preaching? The golden calf?

It's interesting that you brought this up, as that is what creeped me out after not giving it much thought prior.

It's difficult to explain what I saw.

This is just an explanation as to how I've recently come to these conclusions. In digging deeper into politics, almost every horrible agenda, you see the churches being hit up (maybe first)- church leaders- to push that agenda. Why? Because the church has always been a source of influence.

In going deeper, you have the very real issue of The Father of Propaganda- controlling the masses, which brings us to "Mega Churches". I am not claiming that all Mega Churches are not of God, although I do believe the majority may not be.

Some may cite the 5K that gathered to see Jesus as this possibly being the first Mega Church. I would debate that most were not there because of knowing who He really was, but were there thinking of the "earthly" kingdom. I would also venture to say that possibly a good portion of these people chose His death on the cross (this is speculation). The fact is there were few at the "foot" of His cross.

Honestly M30, I knew I would come to these conclusions eventually, I just didn't have the facts to support such a claim. One thing that has not made sense, especially in the past few years, is why in America, with churches on almost every street corner, is this nation in the mess it's in?

Smilecharmer

I lost respect for Osteen when he started teaching that God makes people who believe in him prosperous. That goes against Jesus' teachings of humility. I think "fake it until you make it" is New Age teachings, not Biblical M30. I don't feel Osteen always follows the Bible.

• Like 2
  • Author
I lost respect for Osteen when he started teaching that God makes people who believe in him prosperous. That goes against Jesus' teachings of humility. I think "fake it until you make it" is New Age teachings, not Biblical M30. I don't feel Osteen always follows the Bible.

Yep. And remember a false teacher or prophet always uses God's name and claims to follow him. That's why you can't ever recognize them by appearance or social qualities. You must critically analyze their teachings in comparison with the Scriptures and Holy Spirit. Unfortunately many people "like" him and, as a result, are blinded.

• Like 2

Firstly, the expression "fake it until you make it" was around long before Joel Osteen started using it.

Secondly, it absolutely is the only thing we as human beings can do to get by when we are struggling...unless we just want to flaunt our misery in public (which most people want their pain/personal business to remain private.)

It's been a motto of mine since was 13, sadly. Nonetheless, it has always been the only thing any of us can really do because things are going to go wrong in your life. You won't be happy all the time.

Edited by me85
  • Author
Firstly, the expression "fake it until you make it" was around long before Joel Osteen started using it.

Secondly, it absolutely is the only thing we as human beings can do to get by when we are struggling...unless we just want to flaunt our misery in public (which most people want their pain/personal business to remain private.)

It's been a motto of mine since was 13, sadly. Nonetheless, it has always been the only thing any of us can really do because things are going to go wrong in your life. You won't be happy all the time.

We are talking about the end goal of faking it until you make it. The end goal that Osteen promotes is always worldly success, health and wealth. The only disciple concerned with these things and attempting to get the other disciples concerned with them was Judas. Judas even feigned concern for the poor to cover up his own greed.

To my mind, "fake it till you make it" is just a clever marketing slogan that caught on. People who offer it in place of genuine compassion, understanding do not have anything of greater value to offer.

Just like "there is no try...there is only do or do not" (or whatever stupid thing stupid Yoda said...as a marketing gimmick). How does one master anything if one does not practice? And what is "trying" if not practicing?

Incidentally, by the way, Christ never once encouraged us to pursue health, wealth, and prosperity (at least earthly).

Could it not be considered that Jesus actually did encourage health by the fact that he practiced healing? Or prosperity/wealth by the fact that he turned water into wine for a wedding feast/celebration?

Do not all his "miracles" speak to what he valued, encouraged?

Doesn't mean that I am not misinterpreting the records of his works/workings...for sure I could be doing that.

But definitely he did work for also earthly comforts of mind and body...no?

Wow, Good Ole Olsteen is using a Recovery Motto from ages ago. Interesting yet typical to copy a theme used for those digging out of a mire of addictions.

The theory holds true though, I go thru my daily tasks and "FAKE" it in the sense that since I am not Jesus, I ask myself What would Jesus do? Then I fake it in his goodness and attempt to be more humble and gracious. AM I in actuallity? Nope! So I fake a new system in hopes that by doing it enough, I will gain insight into the character or behavior that is more welcoming. Its going outside your, self made comfort zone ,and finding a new method...and hoping its what God wants for that circumstance.

I do not care for disengenuous people though so I do get how the term "faking" can be inconsiderate and false....hmmm...food for thought as I fake my way thru things some days....

• Like 1

I'm not religious, but I do think that people who are religious in a way that seems authentic and well intended (as opposed to wanting to see enemies burn in hell) have beliefs that are compatible with psychological theories that promote a reasonably healthy and happy life. I have little time for people who fake being wealthy. In my experience those people tend to be shallow, narcissistic and assess others based on what they have rather than who they are.

As far as faking "happy" goes, and in relation to Robin Williams, I think the way he came across in his stand up routines was manic rather than happy - which would tie in with his condition. Sadly the things that made him so successful were also the things that helped kill him in the end. Some of his more popular films weren't so much happy as hopeful, bittersweet, containing a lot of sadness.

Probably the times he was being inauthentic would be when he appeared on chat shows and switched on the manic act (even if he wasn't feeling that way inside) because he knew that's what people wanted. Perhaps past self medication with alcohol and cocaine was part of trying to control his moods. Cocaine's not an unusual choice in industries where people are expected to be near manic with energy. Using drugs and alcohol to change mood could be defined as inauthentic. The person losing sight of who they really are without the chemical influences (and obviously in terms of both physical and psychiatric health, these things are bad news).

Rather than faking happiness, I think it's helpful to focus on things to be grateful for. Not in an "I'm grateful for not being one of the starving millions in Africa" sort of way (which is a form of gratitude reliant on the misery of others for its existence) but grateful for what you call God's work and what I call nature. To be grateful for and appreciative of family and friends, with all their imperfections. To be grateful for a shot at life, even if it's not always everything you'd want it to be.

• Author
I'm not religious, but I do think that people who are religious in a way that seems authentic and well intended (as opposed to wanting to see enemies burn in hell) have beliefs that are compatible with psychological theories that promote a reasonably healthy and happy life. I have little time for people who fake being wealthy. In my experience those people tend to be shallow, narcissistic and assess others based on what they have rather than who they are.

As far as faking "happy" goes, and in relation to Robin Williams, I think the way he came across in his stand up routines was manic rather than happy - which would tie in with his condition. Sadly the things that made him so successful were also the things that helped kill him in the end. Some of his more popular films weren't so much happy as hopeful, bittersweet, containing a lot of sadness.

Probably the times he was being inauthentic would be when he appeared on chat shows and switched on the manic act (even if he wasn't feeling that way inside) because he knew that's what people wanted. Perhaps past self medication with alcohol and cocaine was part of trying to control his moods. Cocaine's not an unusual choice in industries where people are expected to be near manic with energy. Using drugs and alcohol to change mood could be defined as inauthentic. The person losing sight of who they really are without the chemical influences (and obviously in terms of both physical and psychiatric health, these things are bad news).

Rather than faking happiness, I think it's helpful to focus on things to be grateful for. Not in an "I'm grateful for not being one of the starving millions in Africa" sort of way (which is a form of gratitude reliant on the misery of others for its existence) but grateful for what you call God's work and what I call nature. To be grateful for and appreciative of family and friends, with all their imperfections. To be grateful for a shot at life, even if it's not always everything you'd want it to be.

I'd say you are more reasonable and authentic than at least half the Christian population.

• Like 1
ThisIsTherapyOkay

I "faked" it til I was in a conference room full of execs and men in suits. Mid speech, as I was looking down at the gloss of the tables veneer and seeing my reflection, I had a revelation right there. "I'm here! I made it. I want to be "real" now", and then I got fired.

Funny. The irony is, you can't "fake it til you make it". You must fake it, then become the lie that you faked, forever.

:)

• Like 1
todreaminblue
And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. - John 1:5

i think if you shine your light whether you want to turn it on or not ...darkness cannot enter......even more so if you are turning on your light for all to see and you feel like sitting in darkness.....

that if you dont feel like letting your light shine and you put on a brave face and a smile and send it out......you are doing gods work and that isnt faking it....its what god wants us to do

satan cant enter your heart and wreak havoc with the light on....

even if it isnt totally heart felt you cant dwell in darkness .....you sink plain and simple...you go to deep in it.....shining the light or being happy for others is an eternal light you can turn to when you dont feel happiness in you.....

satan plagues the dark and unseen spaces

our souls our hearts and twists our faces,

from all that is good, from that could be good,

so yea turn on the light yea we should,

because no one can drown us deeper than satan could

....so if you have to put on the light and you dont feel like it know that that light will help you keep dark places .....safe...satan doesnt feed off the milk of human kindness but people do ...both ways..

For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.

deb

Edited by todreaminblue
I "faked" it til I was in a conference room full of execs and men in suits. Mid speech, as I was looking down at the gloss of the tables veneer and seeing my reflection, I had a revelation right there. "I'm here! I made it. I want to be "real" now", and then I got fired.

Funny. The irony is, you can't "fake it til you make it". You must fake it, then become the lie that you faked, forever.

:)

Love this post... not that you got fired, but glad you were true to God and yourself.

This is just a rant and has nothing to do with you TITO:)

With a recent transaction (that is still in the works) I'm getting to see how most are all about money. Hidden well, but very disturbing. I really don't fit in in this world- at all.