HELP!!! Last week, I committed to doing a forty-day fast for a Christian group I support. Today is day #1. I’ve never done anything like this before, and over the last twelve or thirteen hours, I’ve come to realize that I am woefully unprepared for this mentally…and I guess physically, since I would like to eat.

Has anyone here fasted before? Any tips? Does it get easier? Right now, I’m not sure I’ll get through this evening, let alone a full forty days? I’m also really disappointed. I thought the process would help me be reflective and focused on my inner spiritual life. My original plan was to replace meal time with bible study and meditation, but I’m so distracted, I can’t focus on anything except my lack of eating! I'm wondering if it's just the changed routine and whether I'll get better as I readjust. If you've fasted, how did you re-focus?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm vegan, so my original plan was soy milk and juices (vegetable and fruit). By this afternoon, I had added soup because I couldn't see myself getting through forty days of that. I have to figure out how to make this less drastic, at least at the beginning until I get used to the change.

I'm normal weight, but I certainly wouldn't mind losing a few pounds.:)

I think fasting is one of the best ways to come into close contact with the spiritual world. The very act of fasting is a temporary denial of the flesh. It allows the spiritual world to become clearer. Jesus fasted. While it's not required for salvation, I think it's good to fast on occasion, especially during importsnt or trying times of life.

• Like 1
Did you struggle with fasting? Or was it relatively easy?

I've mostly done 24 hour fasts. Maybe once every two years. I did a 36 hour fast once. Obviously water is allowed. You can expect to feel a little tired, achy, and maybe a bit sad (some people get irritable). You might get a headache too. I've heard some health experts say these are all signs that your body is "purging toxins". Obviously you're not doing it for health benefits primarily but just thought I'd mention it.

HELP!!! Last week, I committed to doing a forty-day fast for a Christian group I support. Today is day #1. I’ve never done anything like this before, and over the last twelve or thirteen hours, I’ve come to realize that I am woefully unprepared for this mentally…and I guess physically, since I would like to eat.

Has anyone here fasted before? Any tips? Does it get easier? Right now, I’m not sure I’ll get through this evening, let alone a full forty days? I’m also really disappointed. I thought the process would help me be reflective and focused on my inner spiritual life. My original plan was to replace meal time with bible study and meditation, but I’m so distracted, I can’t focus on anything except my lack of eating! I'm wondering if it's just the changed routine and whether I'll get better as I readjust. If you've fasted, how did you re-focus?

Thanks!

I think you should speak to a doctor before doing this very VERY drastic fast.

• Like 1

Agreed. 40 days is pretty drastic. Why don't you start out with just 24 hours? Even that is potentially contraindicated for diabetics and others.

• Like 1

The longest I've ever fasted is four days (with only water). It does get a little bit easier. After a day or two I felt cold and tired but not hungry and I only thought about food occasionally. Some people say that after 3 or 4 days you might start to feel super energized (when you body fully switches to starvation mode) but I don't know that didn't happen to me.

I was more careful about how much water I was drinking. I drank more than I usually would (because, usually, you get some of the water your body needs from food) but I didn't drink to fill myself up because you can drink so much water that it washes away the salts in your blood.

I thought the hardest times to be contemplative were during meal times when you would usually be eating (Because that is when I would think about eating the most). You might try doing your spiritual practices at time when you wouldn't normally be eating and see if that helps.

Oh and the only time I've ever fainted in my life was when I was fasting (getting up at night) so you might want to be careful about standing up too fast.

Edited by Ati
  • Like 1
lollipopspot
I'm vegan, so my original plan was soy milk and juices (vegetable and fruit). By this afternoon, I had added soup because I couldn't see myself getting through forty days of that. I have to figure out how to make this less drastic, at least at the beginning until I get used to the change.

I'm normal weight, but I certainly wouldn't mind losing a few pounds.:)

I'm vegan too - yay! :)

I agree with others though, that a 40 day fast is extreme, and it's possibly detrimental to your health. Consider consulting with a dietician who is positive towards vegan diets, who can also help you to do a workable fast and not compromise your health.

If you're using fruits and vegetables, and soy, you could basically put them all in a Vitamix and do a liquid diet for awhile and still get a lot of nutrients. But that's not really a fast.

I regularly do 24 hrs, but anything longer takes more experience and prep. The longest I've gone is seven days. Three days is a good place to start before moving up to seven days and longer.

It is typically advised that for every day of the fast, there is an equal prep and post-fast day. So, a three day fast is three days of prep/detox, three days of fasting, and three days of coming off the fast.

A forty day fast for the first time without knowing what you are doing or without guidance from someone is dangerous, in my opinion.

Can you get some help from others that are doing the fast, and possibly do a shorter one? There are a lot of books and online resources so please be careful.

• Like 1
HELP!!! Last week, I committed to doing a forty-day fast for a Christian group I support.

This seems very extreme. I'm surprised this group would encourage novice fasters to something so drastic.

I have some experience with fasting. As mentioned above, it does get easier with time. But anything I've done has always been gradual...never anything like 40 days, right off the bat.

Even Jesus, who fasted 40 days, wasn't working at the time...he was physically idle in the desert (I think). Do you have a job? How can you possibly have enough energy to maintain your lifestyle for that long without any nutrition?

I think you should ask God for guidance. What are the real motivations for this fast? Is it a biblical motivation? What sort of sacrifice can you offer God, based on your situation right now? Is there some sort of compromise (like fasting for breakfast only...spending that time in prayer etc)? Maybe not all 40 days need to be so extreme.

• Author

Thanks for your concern.

• Author

Thanks for your post, and welcome to LoveShack!

The longest I've ever fasted is four days (with only water).

Since I was shooting for the forty-day commitment, I decided to include high nutrient liquids. If it had been just a few days, I would have gone the water-only route.

It does get a little bit easier. After a day or two I felt cold and tired but not hungry and I only thought about food occasionally. Some people say that after 3 or 4 days you might start to feel super energized (when you body fully switches to starvation mode) but I don't know that didn't happen to me.

Good to know. I was shocked that it was so tough, so quickly. I've gone for a day or two without eating before...unplanned, just not in the mood to eat and not hungry or thirsty, so I really didn't expect it to be hard on the first few days. It's not that I'm hungry per se. I would just like to chew on something and enjoy a nice meal. Eating is very social for me. For example, I cancelled meeting friends for dinner at a new restaurant this past evening. Ditto for today...oops, I forgot I would be fasting when I organized my schedule last week. Missing the dinner outing was an opportunity to reflect and maybe read the devotionals we were sent for the day. But instead I sat at home focused on having to get through forty days of keeping my social life away from restaurants and the like...of missing solid foods...of not bring able to eat snacks. I was very disappointed in myself for not focusing on the "right" things, namely meditation and spiritual reflection.

That's why I think it's more of a mental preparation issue at this point. I'm also not used to depriving myself when it comes to eating. I've never even dieted.

I was more careful about how much water I was drinking. I drank more than I usually would (because, usually, you get some of the water your body needs from food) but I didn't drink to fill myself up because you can drink so much water that it washes away the salts in your blood.

You're absolutely right on this front. It's a balance. Probably TMI, but based on urination, I'm fine on this front. The issue wasn't volume depletion or thirst. Also, a big part of the reason I added soups was to ensure I maintained adequate volumes. Soups are fairly high in sodium. My regular diet is naturally low in sodium, but in looking at the fluids I initially planned, I was essentially dropping to a near-zero sodium diet.

I thought the hardest times to be contemplative were during meal times when you would usually be eating (Because that is when I would think about eating the most). You might try doing your spiritual practices at time when you wouldn't normally be eating and see if that helps.

I discovered that the hard way today. I think I'll try to do this early in the morning instead. I'll find something else to do at meal time.

Oh and the only time I've ever fainted in my life was when I was fasting (getting up at night) so you might want to be careful about standing up too fast.

Yes. Sounds like you may have been volume-depleted.

Again, thanks for your input.

• Author
I'm vegan too - yay! :)

Woohoo! Another vegan!:D

I agree with others though, that a 40 day fast is extreme, and it's possibly detrimental to your health. Consider consulting with a dietician who is positive towards vegan diets, who can also help you to do a workable fast and not compromise your health.

If you're using fruits and vegetables, and soy, you could basically put them all in a Vitamix and do a liquid diet for awhile and still get a lot of nutrients. But that's not really a fast.

That's part of my struggle. Frankly, it feels like I'm cheating as it is. The more you add, the less it looks like the fasts described and encouraged in the Bible. But I now appreciate why Muslims handle Ramadan the way that they do.

• Author

You aren't "required" to do forty days, although that is the goal based on biblical examples. Many people participating are cutting out one or two meals/day, committing to the first seven days only, etc.

You are encouraged to do what you feel called to do. I feel called to do a forty-day fast.

This is the third fast the group has organized nationwide. They put the call out a few months back. I suddenly felt called to do this last week. They do provide a ton of written resources. I haven't read them yet, but I will.

While I know at least a several of the people participating very well, including the CEO of the organization, I hadn't shared that I would be participating. It was a personal decision, and I don't feel the need for a public declaration. That's why I'm seeking answers on an anonymous forum.:)

I regularly do 24 hrs, but anything longer takes more experience and prep. The longest I've gone is seven days. Three days is a good place to start before moving up to seven days and longer.

It is typically advised that for every day of the fast, there is an equal prep and post-fast day. So, a three day fast is three days of prep/detox, three days of fasting, and three days of coming off the fast.

A forty day fast for the first time without knowing what you are doing or without guidance from someone is dangerous, in my opinion.

Can you get some help from others that are doing the fast, and possibly do a shorter one? There are a lot of books and online resources so please be careful.

• Author

Thanks for your questions. I had plenty of energy yesterday and this morning. Continued my regular routine, which included my workout.

Skipping breakfast isn't a good option. That would just be returning to a bad habit I had in college. If I'm going to skip dinner, I may as well fast all day, since evenings are when I struggle.

I'm not hungry or tired. I just really want something solid to chew and I would like to relax with my friends. It's the deprivation that's so challenging and distracting, particularly in the evenings. Good to know things improve!

This seems very extreme. I'm surprised this group would encourage novice fasters to something so drastic.

I have some experience with fasting. As mentioned above, it does get easier with time. But anything I've done has always been gradual...never anything like 40 days, right off the bat.

Even Jesus, who fasted 40 days, wasn't working at the time...he was physically idle in the desert (I think). Do you have a job? How can you possibly have enough energy to maintain your lifestyle for that long without any nutrition?

I think you should ask God for guidance. What are the real motivations for this fast? Is it a biblical motivation? What sort of sacrifice can you offer God, based on your situation right now? Is there some sort of compromise (like fasting for breakfast only...spending that time in prayer etc)? Maybe not all 40 days need to be so extreme.

todreaminblue

soem people cant fast i agree with the other poster who said you should speak to a doctor.....starting with a forty day fast ...its a nah...try 40 hours.....thats a good start.....kids do it for the 40 hr famine fro ms...i have fasted since i was a girl 40 hour famine every year......when i was really depressed and felt really alone i wouldnt eat.......

i cant fast for too long or i start to feel too much......i actually get prompted to eat ......before i pass out.....normally sometimes i have passed out thats on anything over four days.......the risk is me collapsing.....

my heart beat becomes erratic

my speech slurs.....

i feel things i shouldnt feel and not all of it is good....i get extremely cold......my stomach stops rumbling......after a while its used to no food.....i drink a lot fo water........i have really strong dreams.......sometimes i receive personal revelations relating to me directly and my family.......i dont use fasting lightly....but when i have no other choice or i feel a real push to fast for someone else i do it until my heart says eat which si normally the time my heart beat goes spaz...my heart knows when to stop fasting......i often send my body into starvation mode..as i said i have always fasted.....and i have at times actually starved ...because i havent had any food.......and thats not terribly good for me......i can go without food longer because i am a stubborn person....i dont suggest fasting without a doctor checking you out especially such a severe one you will send your body into starvation mode and beyond.....i wish you well please try 40 hours first...build up to prepare your body to fast limit food intake go without meals then fast...so you knwo how your body handles fasting first........know the signs when you need to eat as necessity....when you starve your body mo3usa is right...everything tastes good even really dull things taste good once you have that meal again ...i start out with veggies and soup or really plain meals only otherwise i end up with gastro... you truly do appreciate food and feeding people including yourself when you know what its like to have none..........deb

Another thing I remember that you may be able to relate to is realizing how much time we spend preparing food and eating. When it would get to be dinner time instead of thinking about spiritual matters I would sit there with nothing to do and think: is this day ever going to end, I wish it would get dark enough to go to bed. And then feel guilty like I was "wasting" my fasting time...

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't see the point. Really, how many people who fast focus on God and their relationship him? The focus is on their ability to control compared against everyone else. I certainly understand the "why" according to the Bible however I think there are so many other ways today that an individual can re-align focus to continue to build their relationship with God (and fasting doesn't have to be just food). Make change or take action that benefits another. Coffee junkie? Cut it out and use that money to make donations to a local foodbank. Facebook addict? Figure out how much tiime you spend and then find a way to do something with that time to help another. Get out of your own way. You have this to do and that to do and your mind is going 1000 different directs. Practice taking time through out the day to show gratitude. Set aside 5 minutes at lunch to read a devotional. Step out side of yourself and try and be conscious of others. In other words don't wait for someone to ask for help, just do it.

• Author
Another thing I remember that you may be able to relate to is realizing how much time we spend preparing food and eating. When it would get to be dinner time instead of thinking about spiritual matters I would sit there with nothing to do and think: is this day ever going to end, I wish it would get dark enough to go to bed. And then feel guilty like I was "wasting" my fasting time...

Yes!!! YES!!! YES!!! I'm so glad you get the struggle and dilemma! You totally hit the nail on the head. And then there's the issue of not developing bad habits (e.g. watching TV) to fill the excess down time when you're wavering and need distraction.

Without realizing it, our lives revolve almost completely around food. It's not just the three hours or so of actual eating. It's also planning, shopping, making reservations, discussing, preparing, etc. That's partly why I was so disappointed with myself. I had a plan for the lunch and dinner hour. Because I hadn't thought about the extra down time, I wasted countless hours on Day#1 unproductively focused on how I wouldn't be able to post recipes (I'll never cook) on Pinterest, what excuses to use to avoid business meals or hanging out with my friends in stealth fasting mode since I don't want to turn this into a big deal..and just freaking out about being unable to carry out what turns out to be most of my daily routine for forty days.

The good news is I now realize that the struggle is a critical part of the growth process...Stepping outside my routine to think about what matters...Living more mindfully...Realizing that I am a slave to my physical desires in ways I hadn't ever recognized...Acknowledging that I need to seek strength and encouragement outside myself...etc. I'm normally very strong and self-sufficient in my life. It's very frustrating to those close to me. The fact that I broke down so early and was actively seeking help because I couldn't "do it alone" is a huge breakthrough.

To be honest, I entered this without much thought. I felt I needed more structure to my spiritual routine. I saw this as an easy opportunity to read my bible more, pray more consistently, and empathize a little more with those who are food insecure. In retrospect, those are all great goals, but they're still somewhat superficial. Even though this is only Day#4, it's proving to be a much richer, deeper experience than that...it's turning into a journey of personal growth. I'm so glad I felt the call to participate this year. It's been a blessing on so many fronts and a positive experience in ways I never could have imagined!

Anyway, thanks so much for your encouragement and understanding. It means far more than you realize.

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 1