Ebola In Africa

Well I cannot read the story because I am apparently expected to subscribe.

But apparently, according to this report in an online UK 'newspaper, this is one significant reason for why the outbreak is considered to be so serious. It's a question of distributing accurate information in order to educate the masses on what needs to be done to contain and prevent the virus from spreading so widely. It's insane what imbalances exist on this comparatively tiny planet.... one side is over-stocked and replete with resources, the other starved and deprived of them. It's inhuman.

• Like 1

Given that, astonishingly, people were still flying out of the region (and maybe still are??) there is an extremely real danger that the virus is being literally rendered airborne... so preventative measures exist, for those both still in the region, and elsewhere. I would respectfully advise everyone to follow them closely, particularly if you have even a remote, possible connection to the region...Given my occupation, I probably wash my hands at least 30 times a day. Normally, I would say normal soap is perfectly adequate, because in fact - ALL soap is anti-bacterial. However, given that this is a VIRUS - not a bacteria, anti-bacterial soap is belt and braces, and if you want to use it, do so. However, bear in mind that antibiotics are completely ineffective against viruses. So anti-bacterial soap isn't in and of itself, going to protect you. But do everything you need to do. Buy sterile antibacterial hand-wipes, use them often while out and about, and most importantly: and avoid public conveniences.

• Like 1

I've been following it for a while now.

Very, very worrisome. :( Fortunately Ebola's peak infectivity occurs after symptoms begin showing, but you still need education and cooperation for people to head to the hospitals when they notice symptoms. Unfortunately there is neither.

• Like 1

Birmingham, where...? West Midlands UK, or Alabama USA?

Birmingham, where...? West Midlands UK, or Alabama USA?

The UK.

If it does make it out Europe is probably high on the list of where a case might end up. You have a lot more flights to Africa than we do.

• Like 1
However, after undergoing a number of tests he was given the all-clear for the virus which has already killed 672 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone and infected more than 1,200 since it was first diagnosed in February.

In another scare, medical staff at Charing Cross Hospital in London became concerned a man in his twenties had caught the virus this week.

But his symptoms were quickly confirmed as not being linked to the bug and doctors ruled out the need for an Ebola test.

Pheew!

Read more: Ebola test on 'feverish' man who flew into Britain from West Africa as doctors put on red alert over deadly virus

• Like 1

(I think we both just breathed a sigh of relief!)

I'm guessing airports and staff therein have been given instructions on how to proceed admitting people from this region, through passport control and customs...

Edited by Tbisb74
keep posting 'form' when I mean 'from'!
  • Like 1
  • Author
pureinheart
I wouldn't be shocked if a case made it out of Africa this time. :confused:

This is what I'm thinking based on what I've been reading. With the seemingly never ending list lately of heartbreaking issues, this one popped out, just a major heaviness and sadness:(

• Like 1
man_in_the_box

The generally inadequate state of healthcare there is also quite worrisome. Medical personnel has to work at absurd temperatures (partially because of the protective equipment) for sessions up to 12 hours with marginal equipment with one of the most notorious viruses we know.

Serious respect for those doing that. There's also an increasing amount of doctors and medical personnel contracting Ebola.

An isolated case was registered in Nigeria which is quite far from the hotzone.

• Like 1
  • Author
pureinheart
The generally inadequate state of healthcare there is also quite worrisome. Medical personnel has to work at absurd temperatures (partially because of the protective equipment) for sessions up to 12 hours with marginal equipment with one of the most notorious viruses we know.

Serious respect for those doing that. There's also an increasing amount of doctors and medical personnel contracting Ebola.

An isolated case was registered in Nigeria which is quite far from the hotzone.

Oh no........

I'm guessing airports and staff therein have been given instructions on how to proceed admitting people from this region, through passport control and customs...

Maybe I spoke too soon... Well, I hoped, anyway.... Good grief....

Yes but what good did "praying" do anyone. Jeez....

It makes the person praying feel as if they are at least doing something.... Most of us don't do anything at all, except suddenly fear for our lives.... When it comes to being pro-active, the majority back away....

• Like 1

Yes, by all means, welcome the virus into your country before we do... What was that you were saying about it hitting us first....? Oh yes....

If it does make it out Europe is probably high on the list of where a case might end up. You have a lot more flights to Africa than we do.

Seriously though, I wish the sufferers a good and speedy recovery. I have every confidence that the conditions in the USA are going to be a lot better than where they are at the moment.

Yes, by all means, welcome the virus into your country before we do... What was that you were saying about it hitting us first....? Oh yes....

Seriously though, I wish the sufferers a good and speedy recovery. I have every confidence that the conditions in the USA are going to be a lot better than where they are at the moment.

Even I'm surprised how we came from behind and sprang to victory in that race. ;)

Not that Ebola isn't already in the US and Europe in certain labs, along with every other nasty disease known to man, but I think it's the first time for infected people. And I agree. At least maybe now they can see their families. Even if it's through glass.

man_in_the_box

It's almost the equivalent of being a modern-day leper - with the side-effect of being dead before you know it.

• Like 1

... and leprosy has a cure. It's a bacterial condition, and just needs simple antibiotics.

man_in_the_box

Eh, I mean suffering from leprosa when there was no cure for it.

Perhaps the bubonic plague is a somewhat more equal example in medieval times since death was relatively quick.

(yes it's bacterial but let's take into account that nobody knew what viruses or bacteria were).

Edited by man_in_the_box

I get it. It's a very lonely way to go. The best you get for human contact is some stranger in a full body plastic suit checking on you once in a while.