I'm not religious but I'm spiritual and am always looking for the bigger meaning. Organized religion has always left me confused and a bit angry. However, I've been listing to Eckart Tolle, a spiritual speaker, and he seems to have all the answers. Oprah said she believes he's a profit. She might be right.

I'm not religious but I'm spiritual and am always looking for the bigger meaning. Organized religion has always left me confused and a bit angry. However, I've been listing to Eckart Tolle, a spiritual speaker, and he seems to have all the answers. Oprah said she believes he's a profit. She might be right.

If you want truth, you'll find it in 3 sources:

1) Jesus Christ

2) The Holy Spirit (given by God to those whom he chooses)

3) Scripture

I've listened to Tolle. He contradicts all 3 above. But he puts JUST enough truth in there and throws around terms like "Christ consciousness" to make you think he's speaking the truth. He is a false prophet. Jesus even predicted people like him would run rampant in the last days.

Edited by M30USA
  • Author

1) Jesus Christ

3) Scripture

I've listened to Tolle. He contradicts all 3 above. But he puts JUST enough truth in there and throws around terms like "Christ consciousness" to make you think he's speaking the truth. He is a false prophet. Jesus even predicted people like him would run rampant in the last days.

I've heard people claim he's a "false prophet" but he doesn't say he's a prophet. In fact, the opposite; he claims he's "no-thing" and unimportant.

I've heard people claim he's a "false prophet" but he doesn't say he's a prophet. In fact, the opposite; he claims he's "no-thing" and unimportant.

I'm basing my statement merely on his teachings. You can use the term "false teacher" if you prefer. And please understand this is not an ad hominem attack. For all I know I might get along with the man in real life. But his teachings are still completely unbiblical.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm basing my statement merely on his teachings. You can use the term "false teacher" if you prefer. And please understand this is not an ad hominem attack. For all I know I might get along with the man in real life. But his teachings are still completely unbiblical.

His teachings seem to lean more towards Buddhist way of thinking and behaving. At times he will mention a Jesus quote just like he'll often quote from different philosophers. If he claimed to be Priest or any religious figure I wouldn't listen to him.

He's very simple in his approach. Mostly he points out that we aren't our minds and ego is the main source of suffering.

(BTW loved "Close Encounters.")

• Like 1
His teachings seem to lean more towards Buddhist way of thinking and behaving. At times he will mention a Jesus quote just like he'll often quote from different philosophers. If he claimed to be Priest or any religious figure I wouldn't listen to him.

He's very simple in his approach. Mostly he points out that we aren't our minds and ego is the main source of suffering.

(BTW loved "Close Encounters.")

Tolle does have some true points. He tells people to let go of everything and not to cling to anything.

The problem with Tolle is he denies the true identity of Jesus Christ and relegates him to a "Christ consciousness" which he says anyone can attain; thus saying that Christ is no different than you and I. His worst error of all is that he teaches the "multiple paths to truth" doctrine. Oprah teaches the same thing and that's why she loves Tolle.

One must simply read the Bible to know they are both wrong:

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me..."" (John 14:6)

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

Yes! Close Encounters is amazing. I like what Spielberg said about the movie--that it's more real than most people believe. He consulted several scientists and researchers (even from NASA) while making the movie. One specific example is when those red orb-like fireballs are seen in the movie following and circling around the larger UFO craft. Colonel Charles Halt of Bentwater Airforce Base, UK, testifies that he saw these exact objects in 1980 and said, based on their actions, that they were under intelligent control.

It's interesting, in light of this, how the Bible says angels can be "flames of fire."

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 3
  • Author
Tolle does have some true points. He tells people to let go of everything and not to cling to anything.

The problem with Tolle is he denies the true identity of Jesus Christ and relegates him to a "Christ consciousness" which he says anyone can attain; thus saying that Christ is no different than you and I. His worst error of all is that he teaches the "multiple paths to truth" doctrine. Oprah teaches the same thing and that's why she loves Tolle.

"Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me..."" (John 14:6)

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)

Yes! Close Encounters is amazing. I like what Spielberg said about the movie--that it's more real than most people believe. He consulted several scientists and researchers (even from NASA) while making the movie. One specific example is when those red orb-like fireballs are seen in the movie following and circling around the larger UFO craft. Colonel Charles Halt of Bentwater Airforce Base, UK, testifies that he saw these exact objects in 1980 and said, based on their actions, that they were under intelligent control.

It's interesting, in light of this, how the Bible says angels can be "flames of fire."

I guess Oprah and myself do think alike. I believe spirituality is not only in everyone but everything. I've been spending a lot of time (probably too much TBH) bouncing from the latest scientific research to religious talks and now have a better understanding of both people and the Cosmos. From the discovery of the Higgs Boson to the expansion of String Theory I've learned that the Universe is far more complicated than I could even begin to fathom.

It seems that you have very strong religious beliefs on how things are and I respect that even if I don't share your views.

• Like 3

I think we tend to make what is very simple so incredibly complicated. It thus makes life much more dramatic than it needs to be. Many of us are likely guilty of this in a way.

Personally, the right path for each of us seems to be different. I am not sure that Christ is the answer for everyone. Not to diminish his priceless worth to all of the believers. I just think that not all of us can find happiness through the bible and with it's teachings. We each have to find what works best for us.

What means the most to me is that we all accept everyone who may think differently than we do. Just because we do not live by the bible and go to church does not make us less of a person. Who is to say what is always right for everyone? I honestly know of many who go to church regularly and they all definitely do not practice what they preach. All I try to do on this end is be the best person possible each and every day.

• Like 4
  • Author
I think we tend to make what is very simple so incredibly complicated. It thus makes life much more dramatic than it needs to be. Many of us are likely guilty of this in a way.

Personally, the right path for each of us seems to be different. I am not sure that Christ is the answer for everyone. Not to diminish his priceless worth to all of the believers. I just think that not all of us can find happiness through the bible and with it's teachings. We each have to find what works best for us.

What means the most to me is that we all accept everyone who may think differently than we do. Just because we do not live by the bible and go to church does not make us less of a person. Who is to say what is always right for everyone? I honestly know of many who go to church regularly and they all definitely do not practice what they preach. All I try to do on this end is be the best person possible each and every day.

I think you've summed it up nicely. Every person is unique and has walked their own path and needs to decide for themselves what feels right. I've learned about so many religions and each time I delve into the religious teachings there is something inside me that makes me step back. It could be because I'm female and I find religious teachings tend to put females a bit below men. I don't consider myself a feminist but I do believe that neither gender is superior.

Eckhart has opened my mind to a new way of thinking and it seems to have helped me find a lot of peace.

• Like 1

1) Jesus Christ

3) Scripture

Wow, the fundamental conceit of organized religion, laid bare in half a dozen lines of text.

OP, you started your post not by bashing organized religion, but by admitting that it's always left you "confused and a bit angry". You didn't launch an attack on any particular faith; you expressed a very honest and very understandable sense of confusion. And the first reply is a complete denunciation of your views, simply because they don't happen to fit into the first replier's views. With responses like that, it's no wonder more and more people are speaking out against organized religion.

Coincidentally, I'm partway through Tolle's book "A New Earth" myself. (Or more accurately, my wife was reading it aloud to me the other day during a 10-hour car journey. Great experience, I must say.) Because I'm only partway through I haven't fully formed my opinion yet, but so far I'm enjoying and appreciating what he has to say. It's given me something new to think about, and some new ways to think about ideas I had already, as a passively spiritual person.

• Like 2
  • Author
Wow, the fundamental conceit of organized religion, laid bare in half a dozen lines of text.

OP, you started your post not by bashing organized religion, but by admitting that it's always left you "confused and a bit angry". You didn't launch an attack on any particular faith; you expressed a very honest and very understandable sense of confusion. And the first reply is a complete denunciation of your views, simply because they don't happen to fit into the first replier's views. With responses like that, it's no wonder more and more people are speaking out against organized religion.

Coincidentally, I'm partway through Tolle's book "A New Earth" myself. (Or more accurately, my wife was reading it aloud to me the other day during a 10-hour car journey. Great experience, I must say.) Because I'm only partway through I haven't fully formed my opinion yet, but so far I'm enjoying and appreciating what he has to say. It's given me something new to think about, and some new ways to think about ideas I had already, as a passively spiritual person.

I think it's great you and your wife are reading "A New Earth" together. I've come to realize spiritual bonding makes for more satisfying relationships.

Sometimes I don't always understand what he's conveying but then I listen to his talks and it'll make sense. I like that he doesn't put all that pressure on words because he says words are just another "form" and are only pointers to real meaning which words cannot express. IDK - works for me.

• Like 3
I think it's great you and your wife are reading "A New Earth" together. I've come to realize spiritual bonding makes for more satisfying relationships.

Exploring things together definitely adds something to a relationship. Where the two partners are doing some spiritual searching together, the effect can certainly be magnified.

• Like 3

Brigid, I didn't see an exact question in your OP, so it seemed open to different input from different perspectives.

Some Christian believers may not agree with Tolle's beliefs not because they're "better or worse" than Christian beliefs, but only because they appear illogical to many. And the only reason for that is because Jesus said he is the ONLY way to know God; you can't get to God through any other path. So if Tolle says you can put your faith in Jesus AND any other deity/spiritual teaching, then it just doesn't appear exactly logical to Christian believers. :o

Trust me when I say that you can hold on to any beliefs that you are interested in though. :) I agree that organized religion can be very tiresome and frustrating. Personally, I'm grateful for the freedom of expression and lifestyle I've found in forming a relationship with God (through Jesus). It's been completely liberating...I never feel tied down to tradition or rules. If I do anything, it's because I want to, and because God gave me the strength. Not because a church group is pressuring me or anything.

I wish you well on your spiritual journey. I know what's worked for me, and has brought me peace. I hope you can find the same.

Oprah said she believes he's a profit. She might be right.

I admit, the use of the word "profit" here made me laugh, given a recent thread in this forum. Oprah and her (antichrist) money-making powers, heehee. :D

Edited by pie2
  • Like 2
  • Author
Brigid, I didn't see an exact question in your OP, so it seemed open to different input from different perspectives.

Some Christian believers may not agree with Tolle's beliefs not because they're "better or worse" than Christian beliefs, but only because they appear illogical to many. And the only reason for that is because Jesus said he is the ONLY way to know God; you can't get to God through any other path. So if Tolle says you can put your faith in Jesus AND any other deity/spiritual teaching, then it just doesn't appear exactly logical to Christian believers. :o

Trust me when I say that you can hold on to any beliefs that you are interested in though. :) I agree that organized religion can be very tiresome and frustrating. Personally, I'm grateful for the freedom of expression and lifestyle I've found in forming a relationship with God (through Jesus). It's been completely liberating...I never feel tied down to tradition or rules. If I do anything, it's because I want to, and because God gave me the strength. Not because a church group is pressuring me or anything.

I wish you well on your spiritual journey. I know what's worked for me, and has brought me peace. I hope you can find the same.

I admit, the use of the word "profit" here made me laugh, given a recent thread in this forum. Oprah and her (antichrist) money-making powers, heehee. :D

I'm glad you found peace through Jesus although I don't believe that he was a supernatural being I do believe he was here and tried to make the world a better place.

I love Oprah. I've watched her for years and she's helped me just as Eckart is helping me. Kindness and comfort comes from different places and when I find it a calm overcomes me and I know why life can be good.

Organized religion? What does that have to do with the price of eggs on a rainy day?

Jesus was not in favor of organized religion. He was in favor of spreading the Gospel to those who haven't heard. It was the Pharisees and Sadducees who tried to hijack his message for their own gain. The same is done today with many denominations.

And Scripture? Most churches don't even teach Scripture--unless it's verses about self help or getting wealthy.

Your comments are off-based.

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 1
pureinheart

Prophets for profit...lol couldn't resist...

Eckart Tolle is amazing.