I found a Church!

I haven't had a regular church since my Priest died when I was in high school. This Sunday my BF and I attended the church down the street from our apt and I found another Priest and congregation I admire and trust. I've faltered in my faith in the past and when I started coming back to God, I had a hard time finding a church where I felt comfortable. This Sunday- it felt like I came home.

My BF liked the church also but he is going to take a few classes at the Parish Hall b/c he was raised Methodist and my family (and this church) are Episcapalion. He liked the service enough to consider converting depending upon what he learns in the classes.

I am so grateful that this has worked out so well for us. I know many families have difficulties blending religion but we have always had similar beliefs and faith. Like me, he prefers the structure of my religion. The only thing that confused me is this church only offers Holy Communion the 1st Sunday of the month. I'm going to ask the Priest why that is. :confused:

Anyway- I'm just really happy to have a church again. The whole day felt better having attended and I love my BF so much for working w/me to find a church we can attend together.

Thats so great!!! I'm so happy for you!

It took me 8 churches when I moved from my home town before I finally found one that I agreed with.

I had faltered as well but I am right on track again. It feels good doesn't it? :D

Yay Faye! I hope your bf can actually consider converting then you can go together but the fact that he is taking classes to see what he learns speaks volumes! :)

• Author

I know- we are definately progressing towards the family we want to be someday. I feel very grateful to have so much love in my life.

that's great, Faye! There's nothing like a feeling of coming "home," especially when you hadn't realized how much you really missed it.

the religious education classes offered in a parish/church are always a great way to learn more about your faith. I've been a sponsor several times for people coming into our local Catholic parish, and it's been an eye-opener ....

what'll really be neat is having that common faith ground with your spouse, though from what I understand, the Methodist faith and Episcopalian faith aren't too far from each other on the spectrum -- both are more conservative than not -- so your guy won't be overwhelmed by anything he hears in class!

I am really happy for you. I can hardly imagine a man going to church.

I'm orthodox and it's so hard to be able so change churches... for most of them are catholic. I've given up.

I still go to church and pray, but I do it whenever I feel like it. Never on Sunday or when it's crowded. And not on regular basis. It's... a special feeling and then I know it's been a while since I last went to church.

Catholic messes are incredibly beautiful, that's for sure.

Catholic messes are incredibly beautiful, that's for sure

:)

Orthodox Catholic, or orthodox Jew? I know both are pretty conservative (as in, they REALLY stick to tradition).

Russia was originally a pagan nation; Russians believed in a variety of major and minor gods. Christianity was first introduced in Russia in 988 by Prince Vladimir whose grandmother, Olga was converted to the Eastern Orthodox faith in Constantinople, according to tradition. The religion in Constantinople at the time was Eastern Catholicism or Orthodoxy (from Greek orthos doxos 'true faith'), hence the Russian Church is Orthodox rather than Roman Catholic.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=cache:QpQInxYUqpgJ:www.departments.bucknell.edu/russian/religion.html+Russian+Orthodox+Faith&hl=en

The Great Schism: Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism

However, as early as the fourth century A.D., there were cultural, sociological, political and linguistic differences between the Christians of Eastern and Western Europe which eventually led to separation in the Church.(...)

Unfortunately, by the eleventh century A.D. the differences between East and West became great enough to cause a separation of the One Holy Orthodox Catholic Church. The Eastern Church became known as the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Western Church became know as the Roman Catholic Church, for it was governed and administered by the bishop or Pope of Rome.(...)

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/readings/Orthodox_Church/schism.shtml

My family is, so that makes me one too :) . As I said before, I do not cosider my self Orthodox, but Christian. I certainly am not a rigourous practitioner, but I attend the services on the Christmas, Easter, etc.

I think it gives me strength - believing and praying, although I have never experienced belonging to a community or to a church. "I'll deal with it tomorrow! :) "

Not to make upexcuses for myself, but I've had bad experiences with all the priests - except for one, back home.

Let's just saythat during the communism it paid out really well tobe a priest. I am sorry to admit this but sometimes they make me sick to my stomack (the Orthodox priests I've met, at least).

I have been to some lovely messes to Catholic churches, but I think I've developped an innate repulsion towards the institution of church, no matter what type. Till now I've preffered to keep the distance, since I never seemed to find my place anywhere.

This is why I think Faye is so lucky. She not only found a nice church, but she wants to make it part of her life and more, she wants to share this with her bf. This is most wonderful, I've never been able to find this balance between having faith - which I have - and expressing it. Even less sharing it with those I care for.

I think I'll deal with it the moment I know what I'll do with my life. So far I have to move and I'm not sure that next year I'll still be here in Paris.

Thanks for your concern, Moose !

Curly,

I understand......not to sound like a grammer teacher or anything......but isn't it's masses?.....my Father was in the military and whenever I read, "Messes", I can't help but think you're talking about the kitchen.....sorry....

Anyway, if you ever get to a point in your life, and we are still here on this forum.....let me know! Our Church has missionaries all over the world. There aren't Catholic, we are Baptist. Just to let ya know.

Good luck to ya!

Moose

• Author

It is hard finding a Church you are comfortable with. It usually doesn't take much time to decide if you have a positive feeling about the service- but if you don't - you have to sit thru the rest of the sermon - or be extremely rude and walk out- something I could never do. Then that bad service turns you off from the search for a while- and next thing you know- you're back to square one thinking "Ah who needs Church anyway- I have faith- I'm fine on my own"

This works for some people - but being happy w/ a Church and Priest gives me a feeling of Peace, Love, Protection, and Guidance.

If you enjoy Catholic ceremonies so much- perhaps you may want to consider converting. My religion is very close to Catholocism- the main differences- We confess in our hearts (not a booth) and our Priests can marry. Trying new religions may help you find comfort you are not receiving from your own Church.

I think it's important to remember that there will always be one or two things that you won't like or won't agree with in any Church you go to. So don't be surprised when this happens.