The Christian Recognition Thread

Christians in the media, especially sitcoms, are portrayed as stupid and superstitious. I'd like to devote this thread to recognizing Christians, past and present, who have contributed greatly to all areas of society.

Here's one to start:

Dr. Raymond Damadian. He invented MRI technology. He was a bible-believing Christian who believed in a literal 6 day creation. Some might attempt to google search and claim he didnt invent the MRI. Look into it a little bit first.

Let's hear others! This thread might get LOOOOOOONG.

• Like 3

To give credit: http://www.nobeliefs.com/hitler.htm

Although Hitler did not practice religion in a churchly sense, he certainly believed in the Bible's God. Raised as Catholic he went to a monastery school and, interestingly, walked everyday past a stone arch which was carved the monastery's coat of arms which included a swastika. As a young boy, Hitler's most ardent goal was to become a priest. Much of his philosophy came from the Bible, and more influentially, from the Christian Social movement. (The German Christian Social movement, remarkably, resembles the Christian Right movement in America today.) Many have questioned Hitler's stand on Christianity. Although he fought against certain Catholic priests who opposed him for political reasons, his belief in God and country never left him. Many Christians throughout history have opposed Christian priests for various reasons; this does not necessarily make one against one's own Christian beliefs. Nor did the Vatican's Pope & bishops ever disown him; in fact they blessed him! As evidence to his claimed Christianity, he said:

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Recognize!

Edited by johan
  • Like 4
  • Author

Satan believed in the Bible's God, too. I guess according to your logic we should recognize him?

• Like 3
pureinheart
Christians in the media, especially sitcoms, are portrayed as stupid and superstitious. I'd like to devote this thread to recognizing Christians, past and present, who have contributed greatly to all areas of society.

Here's one to start:

Dr. Raymond Damadian. He invented MRI technology. He was a bible-believing Christian who believed in a literal 6 day creation. Some might attempt to google search and claim he didnt invent the MRI. Look into it a little bit first.

Let's not forget stiff, stuffy, evil, abusive etc.

I'd like to recognize you guys here on LS. I understand God is in control of whether I live or die, but I do think you guys may have saved my life.

• Like 1
Let's not forget stiff, stuffy, evil, abusive etc.

I'd like to recognize you guys here on LS. I understand God is in control of whether I live or die, but I do think you guys may have saved my life.

My cats saved my life last Summer. :) I was in a really dark place, things just kept getting worse, and then the kittens' mother brought them to me (our garage), the day after I was shocked to see her with two, behind the garage. I'm cuddling one right now - they'll be a year old, around the 16th (when my Emily died). And now a second has curled up on me. :laugh:

I told someone that they felt like a gift, and my sister mocked me for it: "you don't even believe in god!" and I'll leave out the rest. She is supposedly a believer, so cruelty is fine coming from her (apparently).

If god exists, then I believe he/she/it sends people and animals to us. I really don't know what to believe, but I like the thought of that.

• Like 7

Leonhard Euler (1707–1783): A significant mathematician and physicist, see List of topics named after Leonhard Euler. The son of a pastor, he wrote Defense of the Divine Revelation against the Objections of the Freethinkers and is also commemorated by the Lutheran Church on their Calendar of Saints on May 24.[sIZE=2][[/sIZE][sIZE=2]79[/sIZE][sIZE=2]][/sIZE]

Daniel Bernoulli (1700–1787): Mathematician and major contributor to the development of Hydrodynamics. The Bernoulli Principle was named after him.[sIZE=2][[/sIZE][sIZE=2]80[/sIZE][sIZE=2]][/sIZE]

Antoine Lavoisier (1743–1794): Is considered the "father of modern chemistry". He is known for his discovery of oxygen's role in combustion, developing chemical nomenclature, developing a preliminary periodic table of elements, and the law of conservation of mass. He was a Catholic and defender of scripture.[sIZE=2][[/sIZE][sIZE=2]81[/sIZE][sIZE=2]][/sIZE]

Herman Boerhaave (1668-1789), remarkable Dutch physician and botanist known as the founder of clinical teaching. A collection of his religious thoughts on medicine, translated from Latin into English, has been compiled under the name "Boerhaaveìs Orations".

Luigi Galvani (1737–1798): Is known for his work on animal electricity and research on the nervous system. The electrochemical term galvanization was named after him. He was a Catholic.[sIZE=2][[/sIZE][sIZE=2]82[/sIZE][sIZE=2]][/sIZE]

This topic was discussed on this board months ago, and it was shown that the most prolific murderers in the history of the world were athiests. In fact, the OP posted a chart showing how many murders each had committed, and it was by far much more people killed by non-believers.

BetheButterfly

Here's one to start:

William Wilberforce is one of my heroes. He fought long and hard against slavery. I love this quote of his:

“Is it not the great end of religion, and, in particular, the glory of Christianity, to extinguish the malignant passions; to curb the violence, to control the appetites, and to smooth the asperities of man; to make us compassionate and kind, and forgiving one to another; to make us good husbands, good fathers, good friends; and to render us active and useful in the discharge of the relative social and civil duties? ”

William Wilberforce

Elijah Lovejoy is another of my heroes. He fought against slavery and was killed for it. He is an American.

Another of my heroes is Clara Barton, who helped establish the American Red Cross. Here is one of her quotes:

"Oh northern mothers wives and sisters, all unconscious of the hour, would to Heaven that I could bear for you the concentrated woe which is so soon to follow, would that Christ would teach my soul a prayer that would plead to the Father for grace sufficient for you, God pity and strengthen you every one."

Corre ten Boom is another of my heroes. She and her Dad and family hid Jewish people from the Nazis. Her Dad died in jail and her sister died in a concentration camp. After she was miraculously released from the concentration camp, she began sharing about God's love and forgiveness, which she put into action by loving and forgiving her enemies with God's help.

Thanks for the awesome thread!!! :)

• Like 1
BetheButterfly
To give credit: Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism

Although Hitler did not practice religion in a churchly sense, he certainly believed in the Bible's God. Raised as Catholic he went to a monastery school and, interestingly, walked everyday past a stone arch which was carved the monastery's coat of arms which included a swastika. As a young boy, Hitler's most ardent goal was to become a priest. Much of his philosophy came from the Bible, and more influentially, from the Christian Social movement. (The German Christian Social movement, remarkably, resembles the Christian Right movement in America today.) Many have questioned Hitler's stand on Christianity. Although he fought against certain Catholic priests who opposed him for political reasons, his belief in God and country never left him. Many Christians throughout history have opposed Christian priests for various reasons; this does not necessarily make one against one's own Christian beliefs. Nor did the Vatican's Pope & bishops ever disown him; in fact they blessed him! As evidence to his claimed Christianity, he said:

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Recognize!

Jesus Christ commanded his followers to love their neighbors as themselves (Matthew 22:39) and to love their enemies, which includes praying for them, doing good to them, and blessing those who curse (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27-37), and " Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6:31) Adolf Hitler obviously did not obey Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ, (Yeshua)by the way, is Jewish. If Jesus were walking on earth during Hitler's holocaust, Hitler would have tried to kill him.

While anyone can call himself/herself a Christian, one can lie.

It takes obeying Jesus Christ to truly be his follower.

Jesus said that those who love him will obey his commands. (John 14:15) Loving other people, both neighbors and enemies is what Jesus commands his followers to do.

So, anyone who believes Adolf Hitler's claim of being a Christian believes a lie, since Adolf Hitler did not obey Jesus' commands to love. Again, since Jesus is Jewish, Hitler would have tried to kill him if Jesus had been walking on earth then.

Jesus said the following: " 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." - Matthew 7.

Adolf Hitler is bad fruit, his fruit being not loving his neighbors and enemies, not obeying Jesus Christ but rather persecuting his people. Again, Jesus (Yeshua) is Jewish.

• Like 1
BetheButterfly
. She is supposedly a believer, so cruelty is fine coming from her (apparently).

Cruelty is never fine for a believer in Jesus. Jesus commands us to love, not be cruel.

If god exists, then I believe he/she/it sends people and animals to us.

I believe in God and I believe He does send people and animals to us. :) He recently sent us a little kitten who had been abandoned. We thank God for him. At first he was scared and hissing. Now he is purring and is so sweet and playful!!! :)

• Like 2
pureinheart
My cats saved my life last Summer. :) I was in a really dark place, things just kept getting worse, and then the kittens' mother brought them to me (our garage), the day after I was shocked to see her with two, behind the garage. I'm cuddling one right now - they'll be a year old, around the 16th (when my Emily died). And now a second has curled up on me. :laugh:

I told someone that they felt like a gift, and my sister mocked me for it: "you don't even believe in god!" and I'll leave out the rest. She is supposedly a believer, so cruelty is fine coming from her (apparently).

If god exists, then I believe he/she/it sends people and animals to us. I really don't know what to believe, but I like the thought of that.

Wow, this is powerful! Just in tears...

I should have been more clear, it's not that some aren't cruel (like your sister:eek:), some can be quite cruel.

Animals read us better than we read them IMO. I am so sorry to hear of your precious Emily:(

In thinking that is quite unusual, don't the mothers usually keep their kitties away or at least off in a "secure" area...it's almost like she was trying to tell you, "here, you need them more than I do"...oh wow I'm really losing it now...

• Like 1
pureinheart
Jesus Christ commanded his followers to love their neighbors as themselves (Matthew 22:39) and to love their enemies, which includes praying for them, doing good to them, and blessing those who curse (Matthew 5:44; Luke 6:27-37), and " Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6:31) Adolf Hitler obviously did not obey Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ, (Yeshua)by the way, is Jewish. If Jesus were walking on earth during Hitler's holocaust, Hitler would have tried to kill him.

While anyone can call himself/herself a Christian, one can lie.

It takes obeying Jesus Christ to truly be his follower.

Jesus said that those who love him will obey his commands. (John 14:15) Loving other people, both neighbors and enemies is what Jesus commands his followers to do.

So, anyone who believes Adolf Hitler's claim of being a Christian believes a lie, since Adolf Hitler did not obey Jesus' commands to love. Again, since Jesus is Jewish, Hitler would have tried to kill him if Jesus had been walking on earth then.

Jesus said the following: " 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." - Matthew 7.

Adolf Hitler is bad fruit, his fruit being not loving his neighbors and enemies, not obeying Jesus Christ but rather persecuting his people. Again, Jesus (Yeshua) is Jewish.

In Hitlers case, his actions spoke louder. With the little knowledge I have of Hitler, I'd say it was for political reasons that he proclaimed of being Christian...

• Like 2
  • Author
In Hitlers case, his actions spoke louder. With the little knowledge I have of Hitler, I'd say it was for political reasons that he proclaimed of being Christian...

Just like most politicians and businessmen in America.

• Like 1

What Tyler posted was no different from the links others post in order to widen debate. I noticed no one took up the challenge.

• Author
Sir Isaac Newton---en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Newton's_religious_views

Yeeeaaah!

I was waiting for someone to mention him! (Oh, but he researched alchemy, so I guess he needs to get scratched off the list...kidding.)

• Like 1