Dating a Latter Day Saint

I've recently been getting to know a Christian that's in the minority I suppose. A Latter Day Saint (or is it 7th Day Adventist?) All I know is that she doesn't go out on Sat nights socially, not allowed to.

Ironically she has a Cuban background, which is Catholic, but she said later her family switched religions.

I was curious, would this be a big clash between a regular non-denomination Christian and her own?

She told me that it's really all about compability in other things, because she's gone out with people in her religion that they weren't compatible in other departments.

I guess if you're in a religion that's a sliver of the pie, one can't afford to be too choosey?

You have to decide for yourself how important differences in theology are. The LDS's at the end of the day deny the deity of Jesus Christ and believe he was Michael the Archangel incarnate not God/Jejovah incarnate.

You provide very little information in your post, but it sounds like she's a Seventh Day Adventist. My Mormon friends (all of whom take their faith very seriously) routinely go out on Saturday nights.

At any rate, there are major differences between Seventh Day Adventists and Mormons. Mormons (and Jehovah's Witnesses) aren't considered true Christians because their core theology differs in central ways from traditional Christian beliefs. Among other things, they don't believe in a triumvirate God, i.e. that Jesus Christ is God. Remember, Christians share many parts of their faith with Muslims and Jews too, but because neither acknowledges Christ as God, they aren't considered Christians. This is no different than how these two groups (Mormons and JWs) are viewed by mainstream Christians. It's irrelevant that they position themselves as Christians. It isn't the label you use that matters. It's ultimately what you believe that defines your faith.

Seventh Day Adventists are more controversial. As I understand it, they believe all the major tenets of Christianity, including a belief in a triune God. Some consider them Christians. Others don't. Some go as far as to label them a cult. The issues raised by those who don't view them as Christians surround the role of their founder and her writings in SDA thinking, and the fact that SDAs believe you can lose salvation. (They also differ in what happens immediately following death before you head to heaven or hell.)

I agree completely with M30USA. You both have to decide how important it is to you to have someone share your version of faith...and if it were important, you dated anyway, and got serious, if one of you switching faiths and/or adapting lifestyles for the other would be an acceptable option.

Why not start by researching and learning a little bit more about her faith and practices? Maybe I'm off base here, but I get the sense you have minimal understanding of these. Then you can determine whether dating her is even a viable option for you.