How many will actually enter heaven?

For those of you who believe the Bible, I want to ask your opinion about what percent of the human race from Adam to the last person born will enter heaven? I admit this is open to some interpretation. But at the same time there are certain parameters which are not open to interpretation.

If you were forced to guess, what percent do you think it will be? And why do you believe this? It would be great if you could support your guess with either direct Scripture or concepts in Scripture.

My guess: 1/3.

I believe this, firstly, because I take Jesus' comment literally in Matthew 7 when he said that "few" will enter heaven and "many" will enter destruction. From this literal interpretation, it cannot mean anything 50% or greater. Otherwise Jesus would not have used those words.

This is where my interpretation comes in. I believe it's 1/3 (or 33%) because this is a highly significant fraction in the book of Revelation. It's repeatedly used to describe how much of the earth will be destroyed by fire, how much of the sea will turn bitter, and how many of the animals will die. It also is used to describe the fraction of angels who fell from heaven in the rebellion with Satan. Even if you don't take this literally, most commentators would agree that the term "one third", at the least, means a small portion, definitely less than one half.

So that's my belief. It sounds crazy to think that only 1/3 of people might enter heaven. It could be even less. I don't know. And I'm aware this sounds really harsh and makes God seem cruel--but all I can do is read what Scripture says. It seems to add up because even the disciples, when they heard Jesus talk about this subject, would ask him if ANYONE will enter heaven and if it's even possible! Jesus clearly made the idea of entering heaven sound difficult (even with a non works-based grace).

Anybody else want to share?

Edited by M30USA
todreaminblue

I have always had this belief that i wont enter heaven many reasons not going into it...undeserving for one...btu that is only one p[art of me the part writing now i guess.....in between ellipses.........i have to wonder what happens to multiple personalities like me........do all personalities get to go......i will accept my judgement when the time comes and understand why and if i get in........until then i will give hope to anyone i meet that everyone is welcome if they have faith and repent......live a good life .......make covenants and keep them as best as we can...which i have failed........but theres always a chance.......thats what i would say .....god givs chances .....and he loves us no matter when we muck up and act like brats...still loves us....the ultimate father......doesnt mean we dont face consequences.....and that we have to atone.....some way some how ...we have to accept what we do in this life will be held accountable.....and i dont think anyone can say who goes to heaven and who doesnt because people are held accountable by one god...not us........its up to him..... and he knows what we dont say, what we dont do in plain sight what we think and really feel.....so if you are truly sons and daughters of god....he knows his kids ........he knows who belongs and who doesnt....no escaping that....and if you are a multiple i guess he is the one to work out what to do....smilin......i know he loves me and wants em with him......i just have to come through with his belief in me with a strong firm love for him and not stuff up my life....let him guide me and ill be sweet.......not trouble free.....crap happens and ill always have trials to go through ......everyone does..... but sweet and strong and the desire and passion to choose the right........deb

• Like 1

Sorry M30, can't help ya out. This is why:

i dont think anyone can say who goes to heaven and who doesnt because people are held accountable by one god...not us........its up to him

Amen Sister! Couldn't have said it better myself. That's why I wouldn't even try to guess. I have neither the authority nor the knowledge. Or the will.

• Like 3
  • Author

See, I disagree with you guys. I think it sounds nice and non-judgmental, but it really dodges an extremely important subject that EVERYONE needs to think about with great fear. (The Bible says to work out our salvation with "great fear and trembling".)

Jesus clearly said that "few" will enter heaven for a reason. He wanted us to know. It wasn't to scare us. It was to get us to wake up and do what we must because the time is short.

You will find that not a single one of the great prophets or teachers in Scripture (or in the past up until recently) used the "it's not up to me to judge" phrase. That's a modern phrase brought about by a culture of tolerance to sin and general rejection of the Holy Spirit.

Narrow and hard is the gate to life...few find it...

I never identified particular individuals who are entering or not entering. If I did, then I would be taking God's place. But that's not what I asked. I asked what percent, roughly, will enter. This has nothing to do with judgement.

todreaminblue
See, I disagree with you guys. I think it sounds nice and non-judgmental, but it really dodges an extremely important subject that EVERYONE needs to think about with great fear. (The Bible says to work out our salvation with "great fear and trembling".)

Jesus clearly said that "few" will enter heaven for a reason. He wanted us to know. It wasn't to scare us. It was to get us to wake up and do what we must because the time is short.

You will find that not a single one of the great prophets or teachers in Scripture (or in the past up until recently) used the "it's not up to me to judge" phrase. That's a modern phrase brought about by a culture of tolerance to sin and general rejection of the Holy Spirit.

Narrow and hard is the gate to life...few find it...

I never identified particular individuals who are entering or not entering. If I did, then I would be taking God's place. But that's not what I asked. I asked what percent, roughly, will enter. This has nothing to do with judgement.

EVERYONE needs to think about with great fear. (The Bible says to work out our salvation with "great fear and trembling".)

this.......see is abound to be open to personal interpretation....i shook last night not from fear but for joy with a prayer answered in wonder not fear

in gratefulness not dread........

i take tremble to mean many types of feelings........with love with compassion you can tremble if you are empathic to others......not visible ...mine was visible trembling......i was in awe and yep tears soon followed.......then i thanked god.....for showing as my faith so many times says the tender mercies of god towards a sinner....and yep i sinned felt unworthy undeserving...... but i called out in my prayer lost and confused on what to do and god gave me exactly what i needed to feel loved and mvoe towards a brighter day...........tender mercy because i needed guidance.......so as i said interpretation is the way you want to see god ...the way you talk to him...to tremble with fear sure if you know what you are doing wrong and revel in the wrongness......but if you have true remorse....you will be forgiven for transgressions....i am not scared of god mere scared of what i have done wrong......that fear is mine not of him......not bought by him but bought by my own sin...fear of sin.......not fear of god....fear of shaming him sure not fear of him...god is full of tender mercies for the deserving....that is the percentage of people who will go to heaven ...the people who deserve to be there.......you cant quantify an unknown number to break it into a percentage......it is unknown......to us......to god.....he knows exactly who will and what percentage of the population that is because you dotn know all the dead the future generations or even who lives now they havent all told you hwo they feel abtou god if they follow his ways......or ...if not.....deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Author
1/3 of all humanity? Including those who have passed? Including those who are of different religions?

Jesus Christ, the only person whose opinion matters, said:

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:13, 14 NIV)

“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to." (Luke 13:24 NIV)

Interpreting the text for what it says, do you believe there is any way that MOST people will enter heaven and only a few bad people will go to hell?

Deb, my heart felt for you as I read your post. First of all, none of us deserves God's grace. We are all sinners. Any sin separates us from God (Romans 3:23). Unlike, humans, God doesn't grade sin on a curve. The person who occasionally tells small fibs or is prideful in a way that prevents or discourages others from seeking God is sinful and evil. It isn't just murderers or those who commit "big" sins, however that gets defined by man (Matthew 23:4-33). God doesn't quibble about which types of sins condemn us. They all do. But God loves us, and has given us a path to salvation (Romans 6:23, John 3:15-18). You have one soul. We all do.

In your posts, I see such compassion for others. I see someone who repents and seeks forgiveness for past mistakes. I see someone who tries to build others up and encourage them. I see someone who is kind and generous about sharing wisdom gained from life experience. I also see someone who seems to love God and wholeheartedly seek His truth. Obviously, I don't know your heart. Only God does. You say that you are unsure whether you will be saved. Do you believe that salvation comes through Christ's sacrifice on the cross? Do you wholeheartedly accept him as your Savior? Those are the critical questions to ask yourself. Only you and God know your answers to those questions.

The stories of the tax collector, Mary Magdalene (who was possessed by seven demons), and the woman who had continuous menstrual flow for twelve years, among others, are a reminder that no matter how unworthy we may feel or how society might view us, because of God's mercy, we are all eligible for salvation and healing. It isn't just the Nicodemuses and Jairuses of the world that are eligible for salvation or God's healing grace. I pray you find peace.:)

(((HUGS)))

I have always had this belief that i wont enter heaven many reasons not going into it...undeserving for one...btu that is only one p[art of me the part writing now i guess.....in between ellipses.........i have to wonder what happens to multiple personalities like me........do all personalities get to go......i will accept my judgement when the time comes and understand why and if i get in........until then i will give hope to anyone i meet that everyone is welcome if they have faith and repent......live a good life .......make covenants and keep them as best as we can...which i have failed........but theres always a chance.......thats what i would say .....god givs chances .....and he loves us no matter when we muck up and act like brats...still loves us....the ultimate father......doesnt mean we dont face consequences.....and that we have to atone.....some way some how ...we have to accept what we do in this life will be held accountable.....and i dont think anyone can say who goes to heaven and who doesnt because people are held accountable by one god...not us........its up to him..... and he knows what we dont say, what we dont do in plain sight what we think and really feel.....so if you are truly sons and daughters of god....he knows his kids ........he knows who belongs and who doesnt....no escaping that....and if you are a multiple i guess he is the one to work out what to do....smilin......i know he loves me and wants em with him......i just have to come through with his belief in me with a strong firm love for him and not stuff up my life....let him guide me and ill be sweet.......not trouble free.....crap happens and ill always have trials to go through ......everyone does..... but sweet and strong and the desire and passion to choose the right........deb
  • Author

I agree that Deb has compassion. Forgive me but I was merely talking about what Jesus meant by "few" versus "many". Topics like this don't go very far.

We are charged with the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20). For me, the important question is what am I doing to uphold that.

It is up to the Holy Spirit to work on those who hear the message. Like Deb and Open Book, I don't understand why I would predict precisely what God will do. I barely understand parts of this world. How could I predict the parts of his final Divine plan that he chose not to reveal. Perhaps you can share how or why this approach is productive or helpful in furthering God's work or how this helps us grow as Christians.

• Like 1
  • Author
We are charged with the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20). For me, the important question is what am I doing to uphold that.

It is up to the Holy Spirit to work on those who hear the message. Like Deb and Open Book, I don't understand why I would predict precisely what God will do. I barely understand parts of this world. How could I predict the parts of his final Divine plan that he chose not to reveal. Perhaps you can share how or why this approach is productive or helpful in furthering God's work or how this helps us grow as Christians.

Here's why it's productive:

1) It's included in Scripture. Anything in Scripture is productive. You could make the same case about all prophecy--some say it's not productive. But 20% of Scripture is prophecy.

2) What is more likely to help a person MAKE IT into heaven: saying "you're okay and God loves you" or "narrow is the way, few find it, and God only allows in those who repent"?

3) What does "productive" mean anyway? That word has been abused. According to Scripture, knowledge of God and about his character is the most important knowledge a person can possess. Would you say knowledge of God is unproductive?

Edited by M30USA
TheFinalWord
Jesus Christ, the only person whose opinion matters, said:

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:13, 14 NIV)

“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to." (Luke 13:24 NIV)

Interpreting the text for what it says, do you believe there is any way that MOST people will enter heaven and only a few bad people will go to hell?

You bring up some good verses.

Who is the door?

Who is the gate?

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

It's important, when addressing this topic, to understand what exactly Jesus meant by the narrow gate. Does he mean some set of 8,000 rules and rituals that must be performed to earn heaven in addition to accepting Him? No :)

He means Himself. He is the Door, The Gate, and the Way (path). And as we can plainly see there are many people that outright reject Jesus Christ. People choose the wide path...walking down a path is a choice.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

We choose to set one foot in front of the other. For those that choose Christ, the path itself is Jesus. We choose to trust Jesus. Even when the going gets tough. The path is narrow. We know the way to get there...

Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

To me, the narrow gate (the conscious choice to trust in Jesus) is a comfort, not something to fear :)

When life gets tough, we know we can stick to the narrow road and not get side tracked, deceived, or lost. The wide road is confusing, we can wander from it, trip, and become confused.

The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble." Proverbs 4:19

The bible illuminates Jesus to us and teaches us how to get to the gate...

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1
According to Scripture, knowledge of God and about his character is the most important knowledge a person can possess. Would you say knowledge of God is unproductive?

This seems like a non sequitur to my question. How is making guesses about how many people God will send to Hell, or predicting what He will do when he chose not to reveal specifics to us, knowledge of God? I don't see the connection.

Also, sorry if it wasn't clear, but I tried to define productive in this context when I asked my question:

• Helping to further God's work
  • Helping us grow (spiritually) as Christians

I think it's quite telling that God followed up his message of love and salvation in John 3:16 with the specific statement that he came down to earth to save us, not to condemn us (John 3:17). I think it's also very telling that Jesus took time specifically to condemn the Pharisees who, by religious standards, were quite righteous and diligent about their faith, but who also spent significant time and energy focused on condemning others and placing themselves above others using a legalistic interpretation of faith.

Of course we serve a just God. Of course our sins condemn us to eternal damnation and death. But God in His mercy granted us an opportunity to be saved. He loved us so much that He sacrificed His only son (in a horrific death) so that, if we believe, we have the opportunity to be reunited with Him. That's the central message and promise throughout the Bible. It is by God's grace alone that I or anyone else is saved.

I believe there is a reason why God omitted specifics. We tend to indulge in the same types of mistakes and debates that his disciples did (Mark 9:33-35). Thankfully we serve a patient God. Despite spending inordinate amounts of time with Jesus and listening to all His sermons, James and John (and their mother) still had little comprehension of God plans when they requested that they sit on His right and left side in his kingdom. They took their earthly understanding, made assumptions about God's kingdom, and sought to position themselves above others based on faulty projections about what was to come (Matthew 20:20-28). As humans, we are extremely limited in our conception of God's plans for us and the world.

After reading your last post, I still don't get how making statements such as "I'm saved but I think two-thirds of you will go to Hell," is productive. What is the benefit or point of engaging in these wild guesses or largely indefensible predictive statements? Nowhere in the Bible is there a statement that two-thirds (or any other specific number or ratio) of mankind will go to Hell.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.:)

Edited by angel.eyes
  • Like 1
  • Author
I think it is 23 and then you get on a waiting list.

I couldn't think of a place I'd rather more not be than Heaven. A narcissistic megalomania God bent over and all the ass kissers puckered up.

Can't disagree with you. Except for where you call God a narcissist. But CS Lewis did say that heaven would be hell for someone who doesn't want to be there.

When I took a gerontology (study of aging) class in college, I recall a psychological survey that was done where they asked very old people how much anxiety they had in regard to contemplating the end of their lives. The two groups who had the LEAST anxiety who those who were devoutly theists and those who devoutly devoutly atheists. The conclusion was that it didn't matter what a person believed in regard to God--as long as they were SETTLED and COMFORTABLE in their belief.

I wish you knew God. But at least you can say you've settled your decision.

Edited by M30USA