Psychics, real or fake?

Loveisonlyformovies

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm really curious what others have to say about it (atheists preferably).

In some periods I do believe in psychics and sometimes i don't. i know many of them are fake and just want to make money.

Last year I talked to two psychics, i gave them the same question. The first one gave me an answer i really didn't wanna hear, I got this really negative energy when leaving her and it didn't feel good at all. But the answers she gave my mum to her questions seems to be correct so far.

The other one i asked gave me a more positive answer, it felt good leaving her, and she somehow asked me the "right questions" and figured me out in minutes with no background facts about me at all. I really do wish she would be right but i fear that she's wrong because what she said to my mum didn't come true, at least not yet.. and that somehow makes me work against what this woman said i must do, because i fear the positive outcome won't be there in the end.

So I'm wondering, do you believe in psychics? and if so, how to spot the real ones? or is it just a waste of time to get false hope in the future?

Fake.

They can still be fun as a party game but don't make life decisions based on what one says.

• Like 2

Great question. While Satan does have supernatural power, I believe the Bible suggests that only God can know the future. This is what psychics claim to know so that's why I believe they are fake.

God does chose to reveal the future to certain individuals (who we would call prophets) but it's always for the purpose of revealing his plan so that we will recognize who he is and what truth is.

There are examples in the Bible where the powers of Satan actually have to ask the true prophets what will happen in the future so that they can attempt to thwart it! An example would be King Herod asking the scribes where Jesus was prophecied to be born so that he could hunt Jesus down and kill him. If Satan knew the future, why would he need to listen to the true prophets?

• Like 1

I am not an atheist, I am a Christian, but here are my thoughts.

Some of them do have spiritual powers, some are phony, but they are not from God. He uses prophets as his ministers to guide you in future decisions as well as his guidance through prayer, but some prophets are phony as well so you must be careful here as well (especially if they want money or are big into money).

I once heard a minister who was greatly respected describe psychics like this. He said that psychics either tell you what you want to hear and what you want to happen to you (just to make you happy), or they tell you what Satan wants to happen to you (always bad, but maybe positive in the short term). Either way, it's not good advice for you.

lollipopspot

If you want to dabble in this stuff, I have more trust in a Ouija board, because at least that's your subconscious talking to you, rather than a money-motivated individual.

Consider this too, that even if the person was truly psychic, they can never be right 100% of the time. So how would you know when this particular piece of advice was right? There isn't a good way to verify the information.

Smthn_Like_Olivia

I believe there are both, real and fake, and many are psychic on different levels or to a different degree. I have a friend that seems to have a sort of psychic sense of direction. She just somehow always knows which way to go.

Her uncle came up missing a few years back and police were searching for him for days. She led them right to him. He'd crashed his motorcycle in a ditch and lay there dead for a few days until she found him. The location was in a remote country area about 35 min from where she lived, but somehow she went straight to him.

I think most people with real psychic type abilities don't try to sell themselves to the public as future see-ers. These people know that what they see is limited and often hard to interpret.

• Like 1
If you want to dabble in this stuff, I have more trust in a Ouija board, because at least that's your subconscious talking to you, rather than a money-motivated individual.

Consider this too, that even if the person was truly psychic, they can never be right 100% of the time. So how would you know when this particular piece of advice was right? There isn't a good way to verify the information.

Psychics are frauds. Prophets of the Bible have been correct 100% of the time. This is verifiable. We know when their books were written and also when their prophecies have been fulfilled. The Bible itself says that the way to know a false prophet or psychic is to see if anythung they prophecy does NOT come to pass.

Psychics are frauds. Prophets of the Bible have correct 100% of the time. .

But many prophets alive today are frauds. There are psychics who have power, but it is darkness not light. This power can only give help or comfort temporarily, but always ends in sorrow.

• Like 1

Fake. John Edwards is phony I don't see how people actually believe him and Sylvia Brown was actually exposed as a hack. They prey on desperate and naive people.

There was a great line that came from Dionne Warwick, who was the spokeswoman for the Psychic Friends Network, which was heavily advertised for a long time. Suddenly, seemingly without warning, the company went bankrupt. When asked what happened, Warwick replied, "I don't know. We never saw it coming!" :lmao:!!!

• Like 3
99% fake but I'm open to the possibility that it might exist.

I have reviewed the evidence for this from time to time and always see fringe claims of repeatable scientific evidence for subtle, seemingly psychic or "paranormal" effects. There was one study that I believe has been repeated in a number of forms that allegedly shows evidence for precognition. Subjects were claimed to show measurable physiologic changes a fraction of a second before viewing a disturbing image, as opposed to benign images that produced no "precognitive reaction". Of course they had no knowledge of the image that would appear each time and the presentation was randomized. It is also argued that meta-analysis shows evidence of inexplicable effects in the work done in the PEAR project, at Princeton. And there are other interesting claims to consider, such as the number of psychics who have allegedly played a significant role in finding murder victims or even providing useful information about the killer. There are many detectives and police investigators who have testified to this.

IMO, the problem with this sort of thing is that science tends to be self referencing in regards to limits. In order to get published, a paper has to survive the peer review process, which tends to exclude consideration of any serious efforts to study these alleged effects. So if there is credible evidence for inexplicable phenomena, it is unlikely to be published unless the evidence is overwhelming and undeniable. What's more, no scientist wants to get labeled a crackpot as that would likely be the end of their career. It isn't worth the risk to one's career even if there is a legitimate and credible interest. Additionally, scientists have to pursue funded areas of research. There is little funding from industry or the government for mindreading or telekinesis.

Dunno... There seems to be a lot of smoke but no definitive signs of a fire yet.

Edited by Robert Z
GorillaTheater

Well, I guess lending credence to psychics makes as much sense as being a Satanist, so I suppose you're good to go.

I'm just waiting to see if Isaac Newton, the most important scientist of all time, is a true or false prophet when he predicted that Jesus Christ would return by the year 2060. (He didn't say it would occur that exact year, just that it would occur BY that year.)

Edited by M30USA
Well, I guess lending credence to psychics makes as much sense as being a Satanist, so I suppose you're good to go.

At least satanists don't prey on people's pain and desperation like psychics do.

GorillaTheater
At least satanists don't prey on people's pain and desperation like psychics do.

You could be right, but I find that whole infant sacrifice thing a little distasteful.

• Author
Loveisonlyformovies

infant sacrifice? xD really? xD you do know that no satanists sacrifices anything living, right? there's a satanic forum with all kinds of different satanists, you should go there and ask them if you don't believe me :p

that's the most stupid thing i've ever heard :p probably made up by christians (most lies about satanism are, that's why few see us as atheists) since they fear our kind since we speak the truth

No i don't believe in psychics, they ask some simple stuff and give generalized answers that fit more than one person. So when they get you right, that thing is also right for most people, not hard to guess...but people are baffle and easy to fool.

They are frauds, or just use some cheap psychology tricks, but it's NOT BEING PSYCHIC per say.

I could use a more direct and very simple method and you would think i'm psychic, it's a little test i enjoy doing on people.

Ask a few questions and i can describe your whole personality, like 90% accurate...well, most of the time :D. Cheap tricks.

Oh and, you being a atheist does not equal a satanist, a satanist is something entirely different. Don't call yourself that.

GorillaTheater
infant sacrifice? xD really? xD you do know that no satanists sacrifices anything living, right? there's a satanic forum with all kinds of different satanists, you should go there and ask them if you don't believe me :p

that's the most stupid thing i've ever heard :p probably made up by christians (most lies about satanism are, that's why few see us as atheists) since they fear our kind since we speak the truth

Yeah, sure. Next you'll be saying that those orgiastic rituals involving goats and dwarves are a myth, too.

• Author
Loveisonlyformovies

It does not equal being a satanist, as i see it there are two types of atheists: buddhists and satanists. I have the satanic mentality and believe it's the own true belief and i don't respect any other. I was proud of being a satanist but now when I'm ill i'm a sinner. For my own safety since i live in a christian city, i call myself atheist but i really am a satanist and as soon as i get rid of my disease i can be one to 100%.

Psychics is not about describing someone's personality though and tarot cards can be extremely helpful in therapy since you learn a lot about yourself by the way you interpret the cards. The answers i got from the second psychic weren't generalized answers though, she gave me the advice 90% of the people on here gave me on my old account, but she gave me hope for a positive future which no one here did.

I guess I should mention that neither of these two psychics got paid for it that day..

• Author
Loveisonlyformovies
Yeah, sure. Next you'll be saying that those orgiastic rituals involving goats and dwarves are a myth, too.

you believe in everything, don't you? :p in santa and fairies too? :D

there are few sick satanists, very unusual, just as there are sick christians (like the sect in USA where they dance among poison snakes and the one who doesn't get bit is saved by god....)

Rituals are common though, but not like they put them in stories or movies. And the rituals are a way to let go of your self control for a moment, it's therapeutic and the ones who perform it are aware of it.

todreaminblue

everyone has psychic ability.........when you say exactly the right thing know the truth amidst deceit....personal revelations about where to go what to do who to help and how to help...i think its promptings honestly.....but people choose to use gifts they have for their own personal gain...that to me isnt the essence of a god given gift......if you truly were inspired by a gift of esp or psychic ability grateful and humble.....you would give it away for free as much as possible...many blessings to be had from sharing a gift....didnt cost you anything so why re sell...i believe those who sell it are not inspired from god but that gift is from a darker earth called greed ...........i believe it would be a hard gift to handle and that only true prophets of god know how to deliver a gift that contained life changing prophecy that needed to eb heard and heeded......thw world is too confusing for mortals........deb

Tons are fakes, (cold readers, or straight up liars), and then there are people that truly do have a gift.

I have a personal psychic medium that I've known for years now. The first reading I had with him, where I didn't know him at all, had never met him, didn't know his name... went exactly like this:

Psychic: Nice to meet you, take a seat, you can breathe! I'm going to talk about what I see going on around you, and at the end you can ask some questions.

Psychic: Who is Matthew? His spirit is all around you. He really loved you, he just wasn't ready for what you had with him.

(Note: Matthew was my first love, the guy that took years to get over, I harbored a lot of guilt at the end of that relationship. I basically messed up with him and he dumped me. I punished myself for years, thinking it was my fault. After this psychic reading I actually contacted my ex and inquired about the end of the relationship. He flat out said: "I just wanted to party and not be tied down, it didn't have to do with what happened." :confused:)

Psychic: What's going on with your mother? I don't want to talk badly about her but I want to say "neurotic." She isn't allowing you to grow up, to spread your wings, or be your own person.

(Note: Dead on.)

Psychic: There is a woman named Mary standing right behind you. I'm also getting a really bad pain in my chest, I'm feeling how she died. Who is this person? How did she die?

(Note: Mary was my grandmother. She died of stage 4 lung cancer virtually 1 week after being diagnosed.)

Psychic: What's this about a boyfriend cheating on you?

(Note: Found out 2 years later that my boyfriend at the time had cheating on me virtually the exact same time I went to this psychic. When I told him about this reading, and about this comment, he said he almost had a heart attack.)

This wasn't some cold reader. I didn't say anything, provide information, or know this person ahead of time. I just let him sit and talk for a half hour. He spat out names, situations, and I did wind up seeing him a few more times after this, and I would have a literal panic attack every time I would see him because I KNEW he was legit.

Another reading I had with him went like this:

Back story: This was when my then boyfriend confessed to cheating on me. I was a mess. Living on anti-anxiety medication and Ambien. I was always crying, or furious. I couldn't live like this anymore, and one night, I spoke outloud to my boyfriend's mother (who had passed away years earlier). I said, "XX please tell me if I'm doing the right thing by staying with your son. I can't live like this anymore."

I had spent weeks not sleeping. I had lost weight. I couldn't eat. I would pop Ambien and sleep for a max of 2-3 hours and wake up in a panic. After I spoke these words out loud, I immediately fell into a deep sleep. I woke up 10 minutes later (had looked at the clock), but I felt FINE. There was no negativity, I was at peace. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like someone gave me the worlds biggest hug and made me feel as if things would be fine.

From this point forward, I didn't cry again. It was as if someone just wiped the slate. I didn't need Ambien from this point forward, and I went back to being myself, in the snap of a finger.

A few weeks later I sat down with the psychic. Convo as follows:

Me: A few weeks ago I was in a REALLY bad place. Not eating, not sleeping. Not functioning. I just want to know if anyone was with me at this time.

Psychic: Yeah. That was XX's (ex-bf's name) mother. She gave you her blessing.

The guy didn't even blink. He didn't even take a second to respond. Just bam. He told me that the person I had spoken to, had come to me. :eek:

I don't need one more ounce of proof that some people have a gift.

• Like 4
  • Author
Loveisonlyformovies

How to know which tells the truth? I fear she told me only about the future I want to have (of course she didn't know that before) and i don't want to put effort in doing what she told me to in case it won't come true :/

todreaminblue
How to know which tells the truth? I fear she told me only about the future I want to have (of course she didn't know that before) and i don't want to put effort in doing what she told me to in case it won't come true :/

pray with your heart for personal revelations....what feels right normally is...what feels wrong....feels wrong for a reason.....you have to do what feels right and what feels true.......deb