Could a relationship possibly work out between a non believer of christ and a believ

bigboydsgirl

can a relationship workout between a non believer and a christian or will it be doomed?Like if u were to marry wouldnt it be diffcult?

I think it could work,

if

the christian

- is not a total bigot

- does not try to 'convert' the other person and to impose on him/her the christian religion

- does not drag his/her partner to mass or religious functions

and if the non-believer

- respects the other person's religion

- has values similar to those of the christian religion

- has not a lifestyle that offends the other(well, I guess this is a general thing, not linked to being a non-believer).

I don't know a lot about marriages in the US.....but I think that non-believers can marry in a church with religious rite, can't they?

I think that if it is possible, most non believers would be okay with marrying in church(even if it has not so much meaning to them) if it is important to their SO.

• Author
bigboydsgirl

yea its okay for a non believer to marry a believer in church.My friend was saying the same that u should respect each other,thanks alot

They could let the children choose for themselves whether to be Christian or not once they have grown up a bit.

Actually, I think that ideally all children should be allowed to choose instead of having their parents'religion(or lack of religion) imposed on them.

And they might be lucky childreen, they might learn that all beliefs are worth of respect :)

• Author
bigboydsgirl

u are right on they should be able to choose becuz its like your parents would be clambering you about sticking to your bapists beliefs are what not and u be like i really dnt like this religion then they would find it hard to commit to it.Parents should do that,a teacher once told me he hopes everybody believes in something no matter rather its christan,judasim,buddism or whatever .I think i would soomewhat want that child to believe in what i believe but in america its a free country and free beliefs

HokeyReligions

I am agnostic. Don't believe in God or Christ or any deity.

My husband is a Christian.

Our children were allowed to attend any church or synagogue they wanted. They knew that their dad believed and their mom didn't. Their dad agreed that we would be open about it and not try to indoctrinate them.

Hubby didn't try to convert me, and I didn't try to convert him.

Sure it can work. Depends on how "devout" a person is. A true Christian is going to put God first, and that person's spouse has got to accept that.

Originally posted by HokeyReligions

I am agnostic. Don't believe in God or Christ or any deity.

My husband is a Christian.

Our children were allowed to attend any church or synagogue they wanted. They knew that their dad believed and their mom didn't. Their dad agreed that we would be open about it and not try to indoctrinate them.

Hubby didn't try to convert me, and I didn't try to convert him.

Sure it can work. Depends on how "devout" a person is. A true Christian is going to put God first, and that person's spouse has got to accept that.

I think the proper term is "atheist" not agnostic Hokey.

Originally posted by Mr Spock

I think the proper term is "atheist" not agnostic Hokey.

No atheist means w/out any beliefs. Hokey has posted before (and I hope she doesn't mind my speaking for her :o ) that she is open to the POSSIBILITY of a God- therefore she is agnostic- One who questions or doesn't have a name for their beliefs. (not the technical definition but you get the idea ;)

• Author
bigboydsgirl

thanks everybody for your replies i have read my bible on it and my friend gve me a website called bible answers and thats true but im just gonna pray and ask god to guide me on this.Thanks

My boyfriend is an atheist, I am a Christian. He respects my religious beliefs, and I don't in any way try to convert him to mine.

I see it could be a problem where one or both people are outspoken and rigid in their opinions, and feel that their beliefs are fundamentally correct. As far as children, you can introduce your children to religious ideas and beliefs, but as they grow up, they have the free will to question them and decide whether or not those beliefs are acceptable to their thinking.

I feel it's more important to try to be a good person in whatever life or religion you may have, rather than feel obligated to strictly conform to particular rules and rituals. There's nothing wrong with being a member of any religion, but it is wrong to let personal beliefs empower you to condemnn other people for their differing religions.

Wanna hear a good one?

I'm a wiccan/celtic pagan & I used to date a born again christian. How's that for a pair :D

We had some great laughs together & never got into any religion debates.

• 2 weeks later...

Such a relationship simply won't work, if either partner is serious about his/her belief/non-belief. Been there, done that.