50th. Anniversary of MLK's "I Have a Dream"!!!

BetheButterfly

Hello! I didn't get to post this on August 28th, 2013 but I just wanted to start this thread because I personally believe Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech is a very beautiful and important part of spirituality!!! It is beautiful and peaceful when people live together in mutual respect and peace in spite of differences!

While Martin Luther King Jr. was not perfect (and I'm not either), I greatly admire and respect him for his bravery, his nonviolence, his not hating the people who were persecuting his people, his desire for children to play together no matter the color of their skin, and his enduring suffering in order to make the USA a better place for all people! I do think he followed Jesus Christ's example, as well as Gandhi's. While it is sad that all three of these great men (and yeah, I believe Jesus is the Son of God) were killed (and I believe Jesus rose from the dead), I do believe that their legacy, along with thousands of other people who believe in Love instead of violence and hatred, make the world a better place!!!

What do you think of nonviolence?

What are some quotes of MLK Jr. that you appreciate and have learned from in your journey called life?

Some of my favorites are the following:

"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase."

"Let no man pull you low enough to hate him."

I've seen too much hate to want to hate, myself, and every time I see it, I say to myself, hate is too great a burden to bear. Somehow we must be able to stand up against our most bitter opponents and say: We shall match your capacity to inflict suffering by our capacity to endure suffering. We will meet your physical force with soul force. Do to us what you will and we will still love you.... But be assured that we'll wear you down by our capacity to suffer, and one day we will win our freedom. We will not only win freedom for ourselves; we will appeal to your heart and conscience that we will win you in the process, and our victory will be a double victory. icon_info.gificon_plus.gificon_email.gificon_note.gif

Martin Luther King Jr., A Christmas Sermon for Peace on Dec 24, 1967

I am so grateful that Martin Luther King valiantly and peacefully fought for love and freedom and equality!!! :love:

Sadly, people around the world today still face horrible injustice and do not experience love by others. We need to agree to disagree and press on towards the goal of Love and Kindness, no matter our differences, and help those in need!!! We need to follow the Golden Rule, of doing to others as we would want done to us! :)