Machine Gun Preacher

TheFinalWord

Sam Childers, aka the Machine Gun Preacher, was at our church and gave his testimony. There is actually a movie based on his life. Would recommend to watch.

Watch Machine Gun Preacher Online | Netflix

Sam was a hired gun for drug dealers and a member of the Outlaw motorcycle club. Since his conversion he has dedicated his life to rescuing children in the war zone of South Sudan.

Here is his testimony:

Very cool and humbling :)

• Like 4

Whoa...inspiring. I love when he said, "how can he have fun, when there's so much suffering in the world?" I feel like selling some of my stuff!

And, "I'm not afraid of dying, just what I die for". That's something to think about. We always think about what we're living for. But, as each day brings me closer to my last on earth, I think Childers' statement is more accurate. :o

I always think about how God prepares us for different missions. There are so many Christians around the world who have faced trauma throughout their lives. Sometimes I think that God is preparing them for a special purpose, to be able to tolerate great strain and difficulty. Not everyone can handle what Childers is involved in.

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Whoa...inspiring. I love when he said, "how can he have fun, when there's so much suffering in the world?" I feel like selling some of my stuff!

And, "I'm not afraid of dying, just what I die for". That's something to think about. We always think about what we're living for. But, as each day brings me closer to my last on earth, I think Childers' statement is more accurate. :o

I always think about how God prepares us for different missions. There are so many Christians around the world who have faced trauma throughout their lives. Sometimes I think that God is preparing them for a special purpose, to be able to tolerate great strain and difficulty. Not everyone can handle what Childers is involved in.

I agree. That's one of the great things about the Lord. He can use us right where we are, no matter our past. We just have to be receptive to it.

I love his quote, "Get an attitude, whatever it takes, I'll do it. And watch the miracles happen."

pureinheart
I agree. That's one of the great things about the Lord. He can use us right where we are, no matter our past. We just have to be receptive to it.

I love his quote, "Get an attitude, whatever it takes, I'll do it. And watch the miracles happen."

You have no idea how timely this is. I could feel your presence on LS, and sure enough ...this thread. I saw it because God told me you were here, but was unable to check it until a few minutes ago due to severe frustration, wondering what am I fighting for concerning a certain issue involving children, unborn children. I understand his torment and the sleepless nights- wondering, "what is it all for", and was tripping hard. This issue is so deep in my heart that my heart palpitates often over it- it makes one feel crazy at times.

"Attitude"...no problem there. TFW, you have no idea how I relate to this mans past. I grew up around some very hardcore people- people who don't play.

This has been a difficult conflict, especially with grave injustice. I've always been this way, the "fighter" per se- there's an anger inside that is now sort of under control, but it's easy to refer to past "training" to maintain at all costs.

Anyway, thank you for this...it helped me more than you know...

• Like 1
TaraMaiden

(Funny. In the 'Today's posts' index, as things currently stand, the following topic is: "What is the Goal of Gun Control?" :laugh:)

• Like 2
pureinheart

Pie, I thought I was crazy before hearing this man. It's a miserable existence to say the least, feeling guilty to go out and have a good time? The only way I can do it is by force.

I've had people ridicule me over this and to hear you like it and embrace it...I just love you soooo much!

In order to handle what he does, one would need an incredible amount of self-control or a rocket launcher.

Pie, you're the best...

The Lord does

• Like 2
  • Author
TheFinalWord

This has been a difficult conflict, especially with grave injustice. I've always been this way, the "fighter" per se- there's an anger inside that is now sort of under control, but it's easy to refer to past "training" to maintain at all costs.

Anyway, thank you for this...it helped me more than you know...

Righteous anger? :)

Glad you could relate to it. Sam is a powerful speaker, and so down to earth!

• Like 1
pureinheart
Pie, I thought I was crazy before hearing this man. It's a miserable existence to say the least, feeling guilty to go out and have a good time? The only way I can do it is by force.

I've had people ridicule me over this and to hear you like it and embrace it...I just love you soooo much!

In order to handle what he does, one would need an incredible amount of self-control or a rocket launcher.

Pie, you're the best...

The Lord does

Please delete this, got sidetracked and don't remember where I was going with that:laugh: Hey, I have a summer cold...

pureinheart
Righteous anger? :)

Glad you could relate to it. Sam is a powerful speaker, and so down to earth!

Thanks TFW, there was an instant calming after listening to the link:D

What does being down to earth mean?

He's amazing, I can only imagine the anointing he left on your church!

• Like 1

I saw Machine Gun Preacher a few months ago. That is a hard calling, to sacrifice almost everything

• Like 2
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Thanks TFW, there was an instant calming after listening to the link:D

What does being down to earth mean?

He's amazing, I can only imagine the anointing he left on your church!

It was great.

Down to earth is an idiom that means he's just a regular guy; relatable. :)

• Like 1

That is SO true, pih! Definitely a lot of guilt. I know you have a very giving spirit, and want to give of yourself to those you love. It's so hard when you have to see someone else go through something difficult.

In thinking about those kids who suffer way too much, it seems like those who have been through terrible circumstances can also have so much joy in their lives. Just seeing their happiness brings me happiness.

• Like 2
pureinheart
That is SO true, pih! Definitely a lot of guilt. I know you have a very giving spirit, and want to give of yourself to those you love. It's so hard when you have to see someone else go through something difficult.

In thinking about those kids who suffer way too much, it seems like those who have been through terrible circumstances can also have so much joy in their lives. Just seeing their happiness brings me happiness.

Awwww, thank you Pie, but just so you know, you have a heart bigger than this world:)

Pie, what is truly amazing is that many of your hardcore types have a major sense of family and an extraordinary love/protective nature where kids are concerned. Animals too...I have a ton of stories.

What one hears in the MSM is not the whole truth, only partial.

TFW Thank for the definition, I wanted to hear real people words because having heard that term all of my life, this is the first time I've thought to ask. Ok, what does idiom mean:p ...lol, I'll look it up:laugh:

• Like 2
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Awwww, thank you Pie, but just so you know, you have a heart bigger than this world:)

Pie, what is truly amazing is that many of your hardcore types have a major sense of family and an extraordinary love/protective nature where kids are concerned. Animals too...I have a ton of stories.

What one hears in the MSM is not the whole truth, only partial.

TFW Thank for the definition, I wanted to hear real people words because having heard that term all of my life, this is the first time I've thought to ask. Ok, what does idiom mean:p ...lol, I'll look it up:laugh:

I agree about Pie :)

Idioms are basically catch phrases...

"Look who's calling the kettle black"

Ah, heck, Data can explain better :)

• Like 2
Idioms...

A friend in need is a friend indeed!

That's for you guys because you're awesome friends...even when I'm in need (of help)!

Love you guys :love:. The people on this forum rock :)

Ah, heck, Data can explain better :)

:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord

I agree with both of you.

We have to have a balance. We have to retain a spirit of humility and gratitude for the grace we have been giving being born in Western society. It's one reason I think teenagers should do a mission trip with a youth group. They need to realize how good we have it here, especially our freedoms. We take it for granted.

I was discussing with my mom the other day about work, and there are some hard issues she is facing. Then she said, that she knows she has is so good compared to other people. But the thing is, it is hard to contextualize other people's experiences when we are going through our own. For us, an office squabble can be a major trial, but when you contrast it against one of the babies in Sudan facing life and death conditions, what we are going through seems so minute. I agree, we are not all called to those kind of ministries. There is a mission field right in the USA, and plenty of poverty, injustice, and spiritual ailments in our backyard. I think of the demon possessed man, after he was released, he begged to follow Jesus. But Christ told him to return home, and tell everyone the good news. :)

While I don't think we are all called to Sudan, I do think we are all called to be doing something for the Lord. If we're doing what we're called to do, we'll have the same passion (and days of frustration! haha) that Childer's has for his calling.

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1

Whoa, TFW...couldn't agree more!

Getting out of the life we live here in the States can help put things in perspective. But, no matter how big or how small we judge an issue to be, suffering is suffering. People here suffer a lot with things that people elsewhere don't know about as much, imo. For example, I think loneliness is so rampant, and is one of the hardest things to deal with...emotional pain can be harder to deal with than any other kind of pain :(.

And I think you're so right. There are mission fields in our own backyards!

• Like 2
pureinheart
I agree with both of you.

We have to have a balance. We have to retain a spirit of humility and gratitude for the grace we have been giving being born in Western society. It's one reason I think teenagers should do a mission trip with a youth group. They need to realize how good we have it here, especially our freedoms. We take it for granted.

I was discussing with my mom the other day about work, and there are some hard issues she is facing. Then she said, that she knows she has is so good compared to other people. But the thing is, it is hard to contextualize other people's experiences when we are going through our own. For us, an office squabble can be a major trial, but when you contrast it against one of the babies in Sudan facing life and death conditions, what we are going through seems so minute. I agree, we are not all called to those kind of ministries. There is a mission field right in the USA, and plenty of poverty, injustice, and spiritual ailments in our backyard. I think of the demon possessed man, after he was released, he begged to follow Jesus. But Christ told him to return home, and tell everyone the good news. :)

While I don't think we are all called to Sudan, I do think we are all called to be doing something for the Lord. If we're doing what we're called to do, we'll have the same passion (and days of frustration! haha) that Childer's has for his calling.

Amen Brotha! I've learned not to minimize another's heartache due to the fact that typically people may communicate one hurt, although there could be something much deeper that they've been through that is just not easy to talk about. You just never know.

Thinking a good example would be a child that falls down and cries, am I going to say, "hey get over it, look at the other person over there that *insert whatever fits*, no that child needs to be hugged and consoled.

In your moms case, wow can I relate. The workplace can be a battle zone. I'll pray for her situation:)

The Lord will bring to mind the suffering in the world when I'm having a pity party, then I know I need to repent because it's not of God. He has no problem with rants, and that's a good thing lest I be repenting constantly:rolleyes:

I'm learning that I can't fix the world, and when we go out on emotion and flesh it just doesn't work. Deep down I think we all know what He wants us to do and He'll use others to encourage us as to what that is. With this one assignment I went through a severe burn out and walked away. Yes we are supposed to take breaks, but my fear of this assignment kept me from it for years. He used a good friend to get me going again and I'm very grateful. When it's God, you know. He never gives us more than we can handle (it sure can feel like it's more though) and will equip us.

IME, it's important to keep pressing in and understand that we will be attacked- just press in because the victory will come.

You know the thing I love the most about this site? The fact that I have never once seen a member talk condescending about another's "occupation". This says that we all feel that there are no small jobs, just small people (is that how that idiom goes:laugh:)...same in the spiritual, we all have a function.

I think you all are the (you know what:laugh:)!

• Like 1
pureinheart
A friend in need is a friend indeed!

That's for you guys because you're awesome friends...even when I'm in need (of help)!

Love you guys :love:. The people on this forum rock :)

:laugh:

I couldn't agree more with you...with the group that has been frequenting, I've received more healing than ever...everyone has been wonderful and has cut me A LOT of slack, it's so appreciated.

Pie, you're one awesome person, and if you ever need anything, I'm there..I mean that. I'm so glad you really know you ARE loved!

BetheButterfly
Sam Childers, aka the Machine Gun Preacher, was at our church and gave his testimony. There is actually a movie based on his life. Would recommend to watch.

Watch Machine Gun Preacher Online | Netflix

Sam was a hired gun for drug dealers and a member of the Outlaw motorcycle club. Since his conversion he has dedicated his life to rescuing children in the war zone of South Sudan.

Here is his testimony:

Very cool and humbling :)

I really don't like the idea of shooting people, but I guess there are times when protecting people by using weapons is horribly necessary. :(

I admire him for wanting to help and protect people in need. It is worse when good men do nothing to protect the people in danger.

• Like 2