Gideon Bible

TheFinalWord

One of my hobbies is to read one chapter of the Gideon bible New Testament for every hotel I stay at. I am up to Matthew 10 haha not too high, but I find a strange peace when traveling and spending time in my room reading. The Gideon organization uses the New King James Version of the bible. Most hotels in the USA have a Gideon bible in the desk drawer. Has anyone ever read? The inside leaflet provides the story of the Gideon bible. I thought others might be interested. :)

(I am typing this so sorry if there are type-o's)

Who are the Gideons?

This question is frequently asked by the readers of these Scriptures so the following information may be of interest.

In the fall of 1898, two traveling men, strangers to each other, met in Wisconsin USA, hotel. Discovering each other to be a Christian, they held their evening devotions together. The Lord impressed upon them the idea of forming an association of Christian traveling men and the following July these two met with a third man for that purpose. After prayer together, the name of the Gideons was selected for the group. This name was taken from the story of Gideon in the 6th and 7th chapters of the bible book of judges, the leader of a small band of men dedicated to the service of God, through whom God accomplished much for His people.

The Gideons are laymen from various evangelical denominations, Christian business and profession men with a vital testimony for the Lord. Each Gideon is an active member of some local church and the Gideons as an Association work in co-operation with Evangelical denominations. The primary objective of the Gideons is to win other to the Lord Jesus Christ, and effective means to this end has been the wide distribution of the Word of God.

Here are some of their suggested readings for spiritual standards:

The 10 commandments (Ex. 20: 1-17)

The sermon on the mount (Mat 5-7)

The Golden Rule (Matt 7:12)

The Greatest Commandment (Matt 22:36-40)

The righteousness of Faith (Rom 3:19-28)

The Royal Law (James 2:8; Rom 13:8-10)

Christian's New Commandment (John 13: 34, 35)

Christian Love (1 Cor. 13)

God's Greatness and Man's Weakness (Isa 40)

The Two-fold Revelation of God (Psalm 19)

Man's Universal Guilt (Rom 1:18-2:16)

Atonement (Romans 5; Lev 16)

The New Birth (John 3)

Justification by Faith (Eph 2:1-10)

Christ, the Good Shepard (Pslm 23)

Christ's Intercession for His Own (John 17)

The High Priestly Work of Christ (Heb 9:11-15)

Christ's Humiliation and Exaltation (Phil 2:5-11)

Resurrection of the Christian Dead (1 Cor 15)

The Second Coming of Christ (Matt 24)

The Last Judgement (Rev 20:10-15)

The New Heaven and New Earth (Rev 21 and 22)

Practical Precepts:

Christian Home Relationships (Eph 5:22-6:4)

A Model Wife and Mother (Proverbs 31:10-31)

Marriage and Divorce (Matthew 19:3-9)

The Sin of Adultery (Proverbs 6:23-33_

The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32)

Employer-Employee Relationships (Col. 3:22-4:1)

Business and Professional Principles (Pslm 15)

Christian Fruitfulness (John 15)

Heavenly Wisdom (James 3:14-18)

Christian Responsibilities (Romans 12 and 13)

Christian Stewardship (2 Cor 8 and 9)

Christian Witnessing (Matt 28:18-20)

The Causes of War (James 4:1-4)

The Value of the Soul (Mark 8:36, 37)

Brevity of Man's Days (Psalm 90)

Consequences of Forgetting God (Hos 4:1-11)

• Like 2
pureinheart

This is quite interesting, and no I'd never read the inserts, but have read Gideons in the hotel rooms.

I used to take a lot of state to state road trips and once made a "cross" traveling across the US. It's cool and love road trips- nothing like getting away to clear ones head. Things were crazy then and didn't have time to read.

Now when going to an off-site assignment a few years ago was when I read Gideons...wow talk about peace- I totally get what you're saying. The assignment lasted for several months and the company put all of us up in hotels. Everyone else went partying almost every night, but I found it sooooo consoling to just stay in my room and commune with God. No distractions, not much to clean...really the best time ever IMO.

You know, it felt like I was "hidden" from the world and all of it's problems, I felt safely tucked away.

Thank you for this list, and what a thoughtful thing to do...oh and here's some Great Big Hugs (((((((((((((TFW)))))))))))))

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
This is quite interesting, and no I'd never read the inserts, but have read Gideons in the hotel rooms.

I used to take a lot of state to state road trips and once made a "cross" traveling across the US. It's cool and love road trips- nothing like getting away to clear ones head. Things were crazy then and didn't have time to read.

Now when going to an off-site assignment a few years ago was when I read Gideons...wow talk about peace- I totally get what you're saying. The assignment lasted for several months and the company put all of us up in hotels. Everyone else went partying almost every night, but I found it sooooo consoling to just stay in my room and commune with God. No distractions, not much to clean...really the best time ever IMO.

You know, it felt like I was "hidden" from the world and all of it's problems, I felt safely tucked away.

Thank you for this list, and what a thoughtful thing to do...oh and here's some Great Big Hugs (((((((((((((TFW)))))))))))))

Wow, that's awesome! I agree, nothing to clean lol that's hilarious.

I wish I was doing a road trip. lol I am traveling to my university to defend my PhD dissertation. I need some mercy ;)

Here are the relevant verses I read from Gideon:

Rest in Time of Weariness

Psalm 23

Matthew 11:28, 29

Relief in Time of Suffering (lol)

2 Cor 1:3-5

Rom 8:26-28

• Like 1
pureinheart
Wow, that's awesome! I agree, nothing to clean lol that's hilarious.

I wish I was doing a road trip. lol I am traveling to my university to defend my PhD dissertation. I need some mercy ;)

Here are the relevant verses I read from Gideon:

Rest in Time of Weariness

Psalm 23

Matthew 11:28, 29

Relief in Time of Suffering (lol)

2 Cor 1:3-5

Rom 8:26-28

WHAT?????? Oh Lord have mercy, I'm really feeling "Medea" rise up in me real quick...

• Like 1

Nothing like summer to awaken the road trip desires!!! :D

But alas, we must work on. Your upcoming dissertation-defense (?) is going to be awesome!!!! God's going to be there the whole time, guiding you through. Congrats on getting to this stage brother :).

In the fall of 1898, two traveling men, strangers to each other, met in Wisconsin USA, hotel.

Just another sign that Wisconsin is one of the best states in the US!

...some of their suggested readings for spiritual standards...

Great list. Great place to start for beginners and well-read bible scholars alike. It's so nice to have a reference of where to begin in the bible (which is overwhelmingly complex when you know nothing about it).

Gideon

I have a special affinity for Gideon; originally because it was the name of the angel in my favorite Christmas movie as a kid, and then because the bible's Gideon is amazing...a great biblical warrior :).

I wonder, as people "travel" through the new frontier (the internet), how the bible will be able to reach these new "weary travelers". I hope that, as see in each hotel room around the country, we're able to see the subtle yet needed presence of the bible spread online. :)

Edited by pie2
  • Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Nothing like summer to awaken the road trip desires!!! :D

But alas, we must work on. Your upcoming dissertation-defense (?) is going to be awesome!!!! God's going to be there the whole time, guiding you through. Congrats on getting to this stage brother :).

That's for sure! <3 traveling :)

Thanks pie2. Yes ma'am, public defense! It's almost done. You're next ;)

Just another sign that Wisconsin is one of the best states in the US!

I've never been there; but now I want to check it out! Any recommendations for places to visit?

...some of their suggested readings for spiritual standards...

Great list. Great place to start for beginners and well-read bible scholars alike. It's so nice to have a reference of where to begin in the bible (which is overwhelmingly complex when you know nothing about it).

I agree. The list was great. They have a bunch more, but those were the main ones that stuck out to me. Anyone that wants to add to this list, as you travel, feel free :)

I have a special affinity for Gideon; originally because it was the name of the angel in my favorite Christmas movie as a kid, and then because the bible's Gideon is amazing...a great biblical warrior :).

Which movie is that?? :)

My fav Christmas move is Garfield's Christmas and Rudolph. I'm still a kid at heart lol

I wonder, as people "travel" through the new frontier (the internet), how the bible will be able to reach these new "weary travelers". I hope that, as see in each hotel room around the country, we're able to see the subtle yet needed presence of the bible spread online. :)

Really good question. Intersting stat, 25% of hotel travelers read Gideon bible in their hotel room :) It's funny b/c in the hustle and bustle of life, we often get caught up and don't have to time to reflect and mediate. When traveling, like PIH said, we can have less distractions and more opportunities to reflect. :)

• Like 1
That's for sure! <3 traveling :)

Love it too :). You guys are so right...getting away from the distractions of everyday life is so healthy for the spirit. :)

It's almost done. You're next ;)

:laugh: Hahaha....you're smart and funny! :p

Wisconsin

My Grandma lives in the southwest, and I absolutely love it. I love the dairy (of course), and everything about the small farm-town atmosphere where she lives. Tons of natural beauty :). Admittedly, I'm afraid of the winter. But my Grandma loves it. She would even be out BBQing in the barn...in the winter, lol :).

Which movie is that?? :)

My fav Christmas move is Garfield's Christmas and Rudolph. I'm still a kid at heart lol

One Magic Christmas. :love:

Edited by pie2
  • 1 month later...

Happy sunday to all :)

We have a nice sunny morning here...

Out of interest if you don't mind me asking, do you guys get given a copy of the small red Gideons new testament when you start secondary school (high or junior high school)?

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what happens at Catholic schools or other church-sponsored private schools, but at "regular" schools in the US, definitely not. Even voluntary prayer in school is controversial and generally not allowed.

Interestingly, we were taught about various Eastern religions and philosophies in high school (Islam, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism) but Christianity and the Jewish faith were both off limits.

Getting back to the OP, I loved that Gideon Bibles are in hotels (even in some Middle Eastern cities). I travel a lot, and at the end of the day, I like to veg out by watching TV and reading the bible in the nightstand. Very relaxing!:)

...BTW, hope your defense went well.:) What was the topic or general area, if you're willing to share? Please let us know the outcome!:bunny:

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
...BTW, hope your defense went well.:) What was the topic or general area, if you're willing to share? Please let us know the outcome!:bunny:

Thanks AE! It went very well. I passed!! I accepted a tenure-track faculty position and right now buried would be an improvement haha

PS: Please PM if you want to know more, I would rather keep the rest anonymous. Thanks for understanding :)