Useful phone apps

For those of you with smartphones, are there any apps that you find especially useful or helpful?

I used Youversion's Bible for a couple of years and loved it. A couple of months ago, it started acting wonky and causing my phone to hang up and stall even when the app wasn't open. Finally, I was forced to uninstall it. I'm still looking for a replacement.

Any suggestions? Preferably free. What do you use, if anything?

• Like 1
  • Author
angel.eyes
Someone recommended this bible study app to me. :)

On another note, I just heard that there is a Catholic Confession app designed to offer a "personalized examination of conscience". But it comes with a price tag...

Hi pie2!

Thanks for the suggestions. Hadn't heard of either. Interesting idea to have Catholics confess via an app! I wonder how it compares to confessing to a priest.

Anyway, I'm trying out the Faithlife Bible app. So far, so good.:)

• Like 1
  • Author
angel.eyes

I hadn't thought about this as an app! I use this from my phone everyday as a Bible without even thinking about it. I love that it has every conceivable translation and allows you to compare two translations side by side. It's pretty much replaced my hardcopy Bible, unless I want to take notes, or I'm not sure exactly where a particular quote, is but can find it by flipping pages.

Hadn't realized there were reading plans and other useful features.:o Now that I'm looking at it with fresh eyes, I see it even has the ability to let me take notes! Yay!

I like the biblegateway app...

BibleGateway Mobile App

It will give you verse of the day and all kinds of cool resources!

I hadn't thought about this as an app! I use this from my phone everyday as a Bible without even thinking about it. I love that it has every conceivable translation and allows you to compare two translations side by side. It's pretty much replaced my hardcopy Bible, unless I want to take notes, or I'm not sure exactly where a particular quote, is but can find it by flipping pages.

Hadn't realized there were reading plans and other useful features.:o Now that I'm looking at it with fresh eyes, I see it even has the ability to let me take notes! Yay!

I love Bible Gateway too! I've never used the app, but I love that you can highlight passages, etc. I actually feel like I'm starting to neglect my hardcopy bible, which has been with me since accepting God into my life. I guess it's really the words in the bible that matter, lol. But my bible is really special; it's gone everywhere with me :).

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
I love Bible Gateway too! I've never used the app, but I love that you can highlight passages, etc. I actually feel like I'm starting to neglect my hardcopy bible, which has been with me since accepting God into my life. I guess it's really the words in the bible that matter, lol. But my bible is really special; it's gone everywhere with me :).

That's really cool about your bible! I have one like that too, that dad gave me :)

The cool thing about bible gateway is it will remind you to read a passage lol and let's admit there's days when we need that :D Nothing like a little app conviction.

• Like 1
The cool thing about bible gateway is it will remind you to read a passage lol and let's admit there's days when we need that :DNothing like a little app conviction.

LOL...so true!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
angel.eyes

Funny! Similar story for me. I've used the same hardcopy Bible since my baptism, but over the past few years, I've switched to using my phone to read the Bible. It's a little sad, actually. The good news is that I reference the Bible much more than I used to since I always have my phone on me--work, out with my friends, wherever. Whenever a thought or question pops into my head, I look it up right then. That wasn't true with the Bible. I carried my Bible when I expected to need it.