Bible Series on History Channel

TheFinalWord

Has anyone been watching? :)

Pretty good so far, they're going from Genesis to Revelation...very fast so they skip a lot of parts and characters (I was kind of bummed they did not include Joseph, my favorite bible character). But I liked how they did Samson. BTW the ratings for the show beat American idol (ironic); my faith in humanity is restored lol :laugh:

PS: This is not a dispute about the bible's accuracy. You can go to YouTube comments for that lol Just a discussion about the movie for those interested.

• Like 2

I've noticed the History channel always has a naturalistic interpretation of the Bible. They present it with the assumption that the Bible was written without inspiration or revelation, that it was a product of circumstance, that it can ONLY be understood in the context of when it was written, and that all supernatural phenomenon either had a natural explanation or were used as a literary devices (allegory, etc).

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
I've noticed the History channel always has a naturalistic interpretation of the Bible. They present it with the assumption that the Bible was written without inspiration or revelation, that it was a product of circumstance, that it can ONLY be understood in the context of when it was written, and that all supernatural phenomenon either had a natural explanation or were used as a literary devices (allegory, etc).

Yes that is probably the case for most of their series (I know they often have John Crossman from Jesus seminar whenever they do a series on the gospels, but rarely have an equivalent scholar that does believe in historicity of Christ, like James White). This one though is just the bible stories, straight up. I think you would enjoy it! :)

• Like 1

That is not the case this time. It is not a "history lesson" format but just presenting a greatest hits of the Bible in a story form. It is strange watching what the are cutting for time. More then a few kings and prophets were left out in the race to get us to an adult Jesus. And even in the stories told like the death of King Saul, little details which would have taken two seconds of dialog were left out.

• Like 2
  • Author
TheFinalWord
That is not the case this time. It is not a "history lesson" format but just presenting a greatest hits of the Bible in a story form. It is strange watching what the are cutting for time. More then a few kings and prophets were left out in the race to get us to an adult Jesus. And even in the stories told like the death of King Saul, little details which would have taken two seconds of dialog were left out.

Yes, I noticed that too. Little things, like having Samson's eyes pushed out, when they were burnt out. In some ways it seems they tried to lesson the violence in some places, but then they will have a battle scene with David lobbing off Goliath's head in full glory. :lmao: Overall, it seems to hit most of the highlights though. Hopefully it will get people to open their bible.:) Bible was trending high after the series.

• Author
TheFinalWord
It's nothing compared to what Peter Jackson did to Lord of the Rings.

Have you watched Hobbit yet? I have yet to see it. Hopefully soon. I loved Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I agree with you. But honestly, I'm not sure how they could get the detail Tolkien provided into a movie. haha

• Author
TheFinalWord

Oh there is one scene you will like. When Sodom is being destroyed, the two angels basically execute a dozen people in the town (one appears to know Kung Fu :p). I thought of you when I saw that scene...;)

• Like 2
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Yes, I noticed that too. Little things, like having Samson's eyes pushed out, when they were burnt out. In some ways it seems they tried to lesson the violence in some places, but then they will have a battle scene with David lobbing off Goliath's head in full glory. :lmao: Overall, it seems to hit most of the highlights though. Hopefully it will get people to open their bible.:) Bible was trending high after the series.

This is an error on my part! Samson's eyes were gouged out lol looks like I need to take my own advice ;) I wanted to read along with the bible through this series and just go to this part. I mixed it up with a Spurgeon sermon I read a few moths back...Samson Conquered

Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when you won’t confide in me? This is the third time you have made a fool of me and haven’t told me the secret of your great strength.” 16 With such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was sick to death of it. 17 So he told her everything. “No razor has ever been used on my head,” he said, “because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother’s womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man.” 18 When Delilah saw that he had told her everything, she sent word to the rulers of the Philistines, “Come back once more; he has told me everything.” So the rulers of the Philistines returned with the silver in their hands. 19 After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him. 20 Then she called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” He awoke from his sleep and thought, “I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the Lord had left him. 21 Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison. 22 But the hair on his head began to grow again after it had been shaved.

First episode -

Let's follow God's word!

*kills people*

*commits adultery*

That part kind of made me go.. What?

It's a decent show though, I'll probably continue watching it.

• Like 2
First episode -

Let's follow God's word!

*kills people*

*commits adultery*

That part kind of made me go.. What?

It's a decent show though, I'll probably continue watching it.

Hey, at least when people see Biblical characters do things like adultery, they know it's wrong. So many things in modern society are considered normal and acceptable now. But at least we call a spade a spade with Biblical characters.

Oh there is one scene you will like. When Sodom is being destroyed, the two angels basically execute a dozen people in the town (one appears to know Kung Fu :p). I thought of you when I saw that scene...;)

LOL! HILARIOUS!

These angels could actually make people blind! I still can't comprehend that. I don't view anything as magical, so from my perspective these angels possessed some mental or technological ability to screw with a humans neurological functions.

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
LOL! HILARIOUS!

These angels could actually make people blind! I still can't comprehend that. I don't view anything as magical, so from my perspective these angels possessed some mental or technological ability to screw with a humans neurological functions.

Just for you brother ;)

Pretty good so far, they're going from Genesis to Revelation...very fast so they skip a lot of parts and characters (I was kind of bummed they did not include Joseph, my favorite bible character). But I liked how they did Samson. BTW the ratings for the show beat American idol (ironic); my faith in humanity is restored lol :laugh:

Very impressive ratings! :)

You're right, the show is really fast paced...I wish each separate story could be it's own two-hour installment! I love the Exodus scene, and well, all of the special effects :). Even though it's fast paced, I like The Bible in that it focuses on the overarching theme of the journey of the Isrealites, rather than just one isolated story :).

• Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Very impressive ratings! :)

You're right, the show is really fast paced...I wish each separate story could be it's own two-hour installment! I love the Exodus scene, and well, all of the special effects :). Even though it's fast paced, I like The Bible in that it focuses on the overarching theme of the journey of the Isrealites, rather than just one isolated story :).

Very true! Great points :) The series "In the Beginning" is pretty good. Stays fairly true to the actual text...it's been a few years since I've watched it; however, I am pretty sure it only goes through Genesis and Exodus (4 hour in total if memory serves). It includes Joseph though, so it gets major points in my book :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLzIgLhnRA

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1
The series "In the Beginning" is pretty good. Stays fairly true to the actual text...it's been a few years since I've watched it; however, I am pretty sure it only goes through Genesis and Exodus (4 hour in total if memory serves). It includes Joseph though, so it gets major points in my book :D

I agree...Joseph is amazing!!

• Like 2
I agree...Joseph is amazing!!

Food for thought:

What percent of people during Joseph's time, including those who claim to follow God, thought that Joseph didn't have "God's favor" DURING THE TIME he lay in prison for years like a filthy animal?

Answer:

The same percent of people today who would see a man in poverty or rags and say he is cursed by God or doesn't have "God's blessing".

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 3
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Food for thought:

What percent of people during Joseph's time, including those who claim to follow God, thought that Joseph didn't have "God's favor" DURING THE TIME he lay in prison for years like a filthy animal?

Answer:

The same percent of people today who would see a man in poverty or rags and say he is cursed by God or doesn't have "God's blessing".

There was undoubtedly a time in which Joseph was tested (Psalm 105):

He called down famine on the land and destroyed all their supplies of food; and he sent a man before them—Joseph, sold as a slave. They bruised his feet with shackles, his neck was put in irons, till what he foretold came to pass, till the word of the Lord proved him true. The king sent and released him, the ruler of peoples set him free. He made him master of his household, ruler over all he possessed, to instruct his princes as he pleased and teach his elders wisdom.

But eventually, Joseph was put in charge of the prison. :) The prison warden favored him. The blessing of the Lord cannot be contained.

But while Joseph was there in the prison, the Lord was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden. So the warden put Joseph in charge of all those held in the prison, and he was made responsible for all that was done there. The warden paid no attention to anything under Joseph’s care, because the Lord was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.

Joseph was given great wealth and power, for a purpose. The Lord used Him to save his people. Joseph knew this and it was why he was able to forgive his brothers that betrayed him :)

Then Joseph could no longer control himself before all his attendants, and he cried out, “Have everyone leave my presence!” So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers. And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him, and Pharaoh’s household heard about it. Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph! Is my father still living?” But his brothers were not able to answer him, because they were terrified at his presence. Then Joseph said to his brothers, “Come close to me.” When they had done so, he said, “I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt! And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will be no plowing and reaping. But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.“So then, it was not you who sent me here, but God. He made me father to Pharaoh, lord of his entire household and ruler of all Egypt. Now hurry back to my father and say to him, ‘This is what your son Joseph says: God has made me lord of all Egypt. Come down to me; don’t delay.

Food for thought:

Answer:

What do you think the ratio of (professed) believers to non-believers is now, compared to Jewish to Gentiles during Joseph's time? (Is that a fair comparison :confused:?)

What do you think the ratio of (professed) believers to non-believers is now, compared to Jewish to Gentiles during Joseph's time? (Is that a fair comparison :confused:?)

I would say the percent of ancient Jews who believed upon Christ when he came is probably the same as the percent of modern Christians who believe upon the true Scriptural Christ. (Which means not as many as you'd think.)

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 1
  • Author
TheFinalWord
I would say the percent of ancient Jews who believed upon Christ when he came is probably the same as the percent of modern Christians who believe upon the true Scriptural Christ. (Which means not as many as you'd think.)

Hey M30, I have heard a few preachers reference Zech. 13:8 about the number of people that will be saved. What are your thoughts?

And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.

Hey M30, I have heard a few preachers reference Zech. 13:8 about the number of people that will be saved. What are your thoughts?

And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.

That's hard to say. Do you happen to know the context of that Zech verse?

I know there are DOZENS of references to "one third" of the earth, sea, people, etc, being destroyed by God's judgement in Revelation. But it's hard to say whether this is directly related to salvation or not. It could be completely irrelevant, I'm not sure.

I do know the classic verse about Jesus saying "narrow is the way" which leads to life and "few" will find it.

Getting back to my earlier post, it's important to remember that when JESUS came 2000 years ago "he came to that which was his own" (ie, the Jews) but "his own did not receive him" (at large). The same thing could be happening today. The Church, which is considered to be Christ's own, may not receive him. This seems to be consistent with the verse which says: "When the Sob of Man cometh shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8)

Paul, in his NT letters, has written that God works through different ways and different groups at different times. He used Israel for 2000 years then, according to Paul, he heartened the heart of Israel so that salvation would become available to the Gentiles (non-Jews). Paul says the time will come again when he hardens the heart of the Gentiles, as well, so that he can restore Jacob/Israel again. If this is the case, then we may be coming to a time when our Church is becoming similar to Judaism at the time of Christ--an empty shell which doesn't produce fruit or have real truth and spiritual discernment. So we may reject Christ exactly like the Jews 2000 years ago.

What about believers vs. non-believers during Joseph's time? Obviously not believers in Christ, but believers God. I'm just curious.

TFW, I was just looking up information about the Christian population, and this website says that the percentage of Christians in the world has hovered right around 33% for the past 100 years. Wikipedia says the current Christian population is 33%. That is so interesting!

I wonder if the same was true during Joseph's time.

I'm not saying that the 33% in these statistics are really God's chosen people; only God knows about that. But it is interesting.