Is it possible to be spiritual and not believe in God?

After a very religiously intolerant and abusive childhood, I feel very triggered by relgions and the idea of God. Yet, I am a very spiritual person and believe in many tenants of Zen Buddhism and work diligently on the spiritual practices. Is it possible to be a spiritual person and not believe in God? I am on the fence here...not sure if I believe or if it is just residual brainwashing left over from fundamentalist Christian uprbringing. Thoughts?

Thanks,

AW

As an ex Roman Catholic and a now-fully-practising Buddhist, hell yeah, of course it is!

• Like 2

Being 'Spiritual' has nothing whatsoever with having to believe in God.

Being spiritual means having a vocation you feel dedicated to , whether 'God' is there or not.

When I made the transition from "God" to "Buddha" I had my share of guilt trips. But the more I learnt, personally, about the true purpose in Buddhism, the more I realised that in fact I was moving closer to the IDEA of 'God', not further away.

• Like 2
  • Author

Thanks TaraMaiden....the idea of Buddhism definitely has appealed to me in many ways. I feel most connected to spiritual energy when I am in nature so that is where I get most of my peace and calm. I am at that space where the "idea of God" is actually more appealing to me than the religious version espoused by many religions. Just reading this site's arguments between Christians and non is very triggering for me so I know that I won't be latching onto the God of my youth in any manner. I am trying to find my own path after healing from child abuse including EA, PA, VA, SA, RA and neglect. I never thought I would even entertain the idea of searching for something more before I healed with therapy.

Thanks for your words,

AW

• Like 1
  • Author
If somebody can put an adequate definition of "spiritual" on the table, that would be a good start.

quickjoe:

That is part of my journey...I am trying to figure out what it means to me as it is different for most people. in reading the Dalai Lama or Thomas Merton, I am seeing that a spiritual journey is different from religion in that you have to figure out what you truly believe and what you need in order to live a rich, peaceful and fulfilled life.

I have been concentrating on walks in nature, photographing animals in the wild, lighting candles in rememberance of peaceful moments, practicing gratitude and being aware and present.

I see much material that deals with God in spiritual writings and I am trying to form another view of God than the one I have...the energy that flows through everything and interconnects all of us with this world is one that I really like. I also like the idea of a creator who isn't invested in our beliefs so much as our efforts. Religion leaves me feeling cold and numb so I would appreciate thoughts without religious doctrine from books of belief.

Thanks,

AW

Thegameoflife

Spiritual- The non-physical feeling of interconnection with the world around us.

Spirituality- The exploration of the non-physical feeling of the interconnection witht he world around us.

Spirituality lead to religion, and beliefs in Gods. People were definitely spiritual long before any of the current religions existed. All religions are made up by man. The Judeo-Christian-Muslim God was made up by the Jews when they left egypt. Without the egyption religion, the freed Jews had no religion, and were dissolusioned. The elders created a new religion for their people to unite them, and bind their nation under a single set of beliefs.

Christianity was created around 300 AD by the Roman emperor Constantine. When the Romans conquered Juresalem, they appointed one Jewish king to rule the area. A lot of the Jews didn't like this, so they started spreading stories of Jewish prophesy coming true. They did this as an attack on the Jewish religion that was helping the king hold power. The Roman Empire at the time was in chaos as a result of multiple pagan gods throughout the empire, making it impossible to unite the people. Constantine gathered the Group of 300 wisemen and they cherry picked the circulating Christian stories and other religious stories, and hashed out the new testament. They just made up the whole thing to unify the empire under one religion.

Islam is the same story. 300 years after the introduction of Christianity, the Roman empire was very powerful, and the nemesis persian empire was trying to deal with the same religious incompatibilities the Roman empire faced. As a result, they created Islam, for the same purpose of unification.

So yes, you can be spiritual without the judeo-christian God, cause they just made it up.

• Like 1

I was raised Christian and "left the church" some time around my 12th birthday - going on a life-long hunt for a belief that worked for me.

I studied Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, the Kabbalah, Wicca, Satanism, and more...

I am an affirmed believer that "God" is contained within each and every person.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author
Absewarrior

Thegameoflife:

Yes, I believe that also. I have studied the entire history and read many books on religions and philosophy. I guess the idea of God as the energy that interconnects us really appeals to me, so I am not sure if I want to be spiritual without God, or if I just need to redefine what God means to me. What you said makes sense to me.

AW

CarrieT:

I am also a believer that God is energy that moves throughout everything...that is the part of Buddhism that really appeals to me. I am studying different spiritual practices and find that God is often mentioned in them. I am just trying to distance myself from that God of my youth and replace it with something different...something more.

AW

Yes I do believe it's possible to be spiritual but not believe in God.

Because no matter what you believe (or not) - He believes in YOU... and loves you more than you could ever imagine.

I know there are many who have suffered great cruelty from religious intolerance. I believe this is a neat trick by the enemy to knock people off the path that God intended for them.

I've also lived long enough to witness these people fulfill their destiny in the end anyway, in spite of everything. One Way... many paths.

• Like 4
pureinheart
After a very religiously intolerant and abusive childhood, I feel very triggered by relgions and the idea of God. Yet, I am a very spiritual person and believe in many tenants of Zen Buddhism and work diligently on the spiritual practices. Is it possible to be a spiritual person and not believe in God? I am on the fence here...not sure if I believe or if it is just residual brainwashing left over from fundamentalist Christian uprbringing. Thoughts?

Thanks,

AW

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))), just want to say that not all fundamentalists are abusive and controlling...controlling/abusive people can use anything to further their own sick causes.

If you can try to not look at God as the abuser, your parents were and He had nothing to do with that.

You know, I am beginning to think there is brainwashing/mind control in just about everything these days, sooo with that, and if you are led, ask God to reveal Himself to you, to give you the answers you seek. This is what I do whenever I feel lost or whatever, and He's always shown me the answers...

Hey love, I am so sorry about your past, and if I might add, the worst is over and the best is yet to come!:love:

• Like 2
pureinheart
Yes I do believe it's possible to be spiritual but not believe in God.

Because no matter what you believe (or not) - He believes in YOU... and loves you more than you could ever imagine.

I know there are many who have suffered great cruelty from religious intolerance. I believe this is a neat trick by the enemy to knock people off the path that God intended for them.

I've also lived long enough to witness these people fulfill their destiny in the end anyway, in spite of everything. One Way... many paths.

OB, you always give such excellent advice...your wording is always so perfect and helpful!:love::love::love::love::love:

• Like 3
  • Author
Absewarrior

openbook:

I really enjoyed reading your post...I think you have something there. Belief in a loving God is exactly what I would love...thank you.

AW

pureinheart:

The hug was appreciated...and thank you for what you said about the best is to come. That has definitely been my experience. My life is a lovely place right now...one of the spiritual practices I am concentrating on is being present which measn I don't live in my past. I have had to do some really deep therapy to overcome my abuse. This search/quest I am on for spiritual enlightenment is truly a beautiful thing. I really have learned a great deal about myself. Thank you for your words.

AW

• Like 3
OB, you always give such excellent advice...your wording is always so perfect and helpful!:love::love::love::love::love:

And you are way too kind PIH. :love::love::love: Yeah, every once in awhile I "think" I get it right. :D

openbook:

I really enjoyed reading your post...I think you have something there. Belief in a loving God is exactly what I would love...thank you.

AW

I second that emotion! And I hope you will continue searching and seeking. (I'm right there with ya, still seeking too.) I believe that God IS love. And energy. And flawless perfection. And endless mercy and goodness. And so much more. That's been my perception/experience of Him. But I know everyone must follow their own path, and each person's experience is unique and has a bit of a different take on it.

Edited by OpenBook
  • Like 4

Thanks,

AW

What do you mean by "religiously intolerant childhood"?

When someone hasn't elaborated, maybe it's best to not poke the embers....

I too wanted to ask, but thought better of it.

Just me.

pureinheart
openbook:

AW

pureinheart:

The hug was appreciated...and thank you for what you said about the best is to come. That has definitely been my experience. My life is a lovely place right now...one of the spiritual practices I am concentrating on is being present which measn I don't live in my past. I have had to do some really deep therapy to overcome my abuse. This search/quest I am on for spiritual enlightenment is truly a beautiful thing. I really have learned a great deal about myself. Thank you for your words.

AW

Thank you for responding...I get really concerned when I hear of abuse because of the mess it can bring into our lives...so glad you are doing well!

Oh man, it is a wonderful journey! Then to finally find what works for you is just the most peaceful experience.

I had searched for a good portion of my life, sometimes thinking I "found it", but the void would pop up, you know? Then, it really happened when I least expected it.

For me, I just love God and have a personal relationship with him.

Your post made me so happy!

• Like 2
  • Author
Absewarrior
What do you mean by "religiously intolerant childhood"?

m30USA, Taramaiden:

It is an absolutely fair question, and I am happy to elaborate. No other thoughts, beliefs, ideaologies, secular, mainstream, or popular culture was allowed. Nothing that was not King James version was tolerated...even Baptists or Southern Baptists were looked at with suspicion, even though I was raised Free Will Baptist. Everyone else was going to hell, was wrong, was ignorant,or were trying to brainwash the world with their evil words. In other words they were intolerant of everything that was not their church, including other religions or religions that weren't exactly the same as them...FWB. It was very confusing as I was not allowed to associate with anyone who did not go to my church or I was an evil sinner who was going to hell. I was punished severely if I even spoke to kids at school or on bus if they did not go to a FWB church. Somehow they always found out or manipulated me into believing they knew somehow.

I know..it was less than ideal for a child.

AW

• Like 1
  • Author
Absewarrior
Thank you for responding...I get really concerned when I hear of abuse because of the mess it can bring into our lives...so glad you are doing well!

Oh man, it is a wonderful journey! Then to finally find what works for you is just the most peaceful experience.

I had searched for a good portion of my life, sometimes thinking I "found it", but the void would pop up, you know? Then, it really happened when I least expected it.

For me, I just love God and have a personal relationship with him.

Your post made me so happy!

pureinheart:

I do understand the void. This search is new for me as I had many triggers associated with anything spiritual. I am in a much better place now due to intensive therapy, going no contact with abusers, being in my family with lots of love and easiness. I am healing and feel that I want something more, and the more I study, meditate and reflect, I am coming to understand that to deny God because of their abuse is to refuse myself something that could be very good for me. I just have to redefine God...and I have to erase the messages I get in my head when I think of the fire and brimstone, intolerant tyrant that was presented to me, does that make any sense?

AW

• Like 2
BetheButterfly

Freedom of religion is a wonderful thing, and yes one can be spiritual and not believe in the God of a group of people or in any god at all! I am spiritual and I don't believe in the Hindu gods, though I have some friends who are spiritual and are Hindus. I also have learned that many Buddhists don't believe in god/s, yet they are spiritual too! (Some Buddhists do believe in god/s and are spiritual as well.)

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

I'll chime in with my 2 cents on this subject. I love this quote:

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."

-CS Lewis

No matter what your religious beliefs are, it doesn't change the fact that you are a soul, primarily, which has a body, secondarily. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the majority of the universe is spiritual in nature and the physical universe (as we know it) is a mere fraction and subset of the higher spiritual reality. Many religions, not just Christianity, teach this very truth.

• Like 1
What does it mean when you open a fortune cookie and it has no fortune in it?

It means you have ......a cookie. :cool:

I would suggest we give the guy breathing space.

Not wishing to speak for him, but I know that when I decided to switch paths to Buddhism from Catholicism, some well-meaning friends of mine "upped the Christian ante" and proceeded to try to point out to me the error of my ways.

All it did was to make me feel beaten about the head, and made me even less inclined to consider their POV's.....

Go easy on the OP, guys....

His last encounter with those spreading God's Word was nothing to be proud of.

That's all I'm saying.

• Like 2
Grumpybutfun

Thanks,

AW

I have been reading for a few days, not thinking I would post, but this is amazing.

Wow, the guy says I feel triggered by religions and the idea of God and you throw Bible verses at him from the same religion that terrorized him. Maybe if I tell you I am afraid of clowns you will use clown smileys to drive away my fears.

I would be surprised if he ever came back here.

• Like 2

It's important to understand that Spirituality doesn't begin in a book, or needs any dogma to support it.

Spirituality is the way we channel our own Gratitude for being alive.

Spirituality quite simply, builds in the mind and resides in the heart.

That's all that is needed.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2
BetheButterfly
openbook:

AW

pureinheart:

AW

Absewarrior,

I am sorry if I offended you by telling about Jesus' commands to love others, including one's enemies. The reason I mentioned them is because "Christians" who condemn people to hell and hate people instead of loving them are not obeying Jesus, since Jesus clearly taught to love, even one's enemies. I also don't think the poster who mentioned the Biblical definition of love is patient and kind... meant to offend you at all by posting that either.

Thanks for your kindness to people who do believe in God. I don't know if you are going to reply again, but I thought your replies to OpenBook and PureinHeart were very kind :love:.

I 100% agree with you: "Belief in a loving God is exactly what I would love" and I do believe God is love. :love:

I grew up in a Southern Baptist home. However, my family does not concentrate on hell at all, but rather on Love. Not all Baptists are intolerant and condemn people to hell. Many do concentrate on love and kindness. Sadly, those who hate people and disobey Jesus' commands to love give all Baptists a bad name. :(

I changed from Baptist to a nondenominational Protestant on my spiritual journey. However, I have no desire for you to be what you do not believe. You are most definitely free to believe whatever you want, and my sharing about what Jesus said was most definitely not to try persuade you to believe what I do, but rather to show that sadly, many "Christians" do not obey Jesus' commands to love. :(

So, I'm sorry if my quoting Bible verses about love and Jesus offended you. That was not my intention. :(

Blessings and whatever spiritual path you follow, you are our sibling in humanity. :love:

Edited by BetheButterfly
  • Like 2