Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

That's not His job.

He's just watching out for us. Watching over us. It's like a parent helping his kid learn to ride a bike. The parent can only do so much, but the kid has to do the work to really accomplish anything.

God can't make things happen. That would be imposing over free will, and that ain't His MO.

Blaming God on the bad things in life, or the good things in life too, makes no sense to me. It's not like He's up there laughing to himself, "Haha, what can I do to screw up THIS person's life?" Though sometimes it may feel like it, that's not how it is. At least I personally don't believe so.

HokeyReligions

There is no god. Bad things happen to everyone sometimes and so do good things. WE have to captain our own lives and decide what constitutes bad and good for us and apply it to each situation.

Does God cares for us but can't help? or He can help us but doesn't care?

In my opinion, neither one is true.

God can help you at any point you allow Him to without Him over-riding your will. Your 'will' being associated with your option to make choices.

Example: You get arrested for drugs. You need God's help...so you tell him something corny like...if you help me...I won't do it again. God has the capacity of delivering you from your drug habit and miraculouly getting you out of your big mess. HOWEVER, His help may come with conditions. WHY? Because He isn't as concerned with your mess as He is your heart. Maybe you have a pain inside you eating you alive, maybe you were abused as a child, maybe your self esteem is so low you can't face your own self....maybe any number of things. So, God may say something like "Let's get your heart straightened up and address the REAL problem, then I'll take care of this mess it's created." At this point, it's YOUR choice if you want to move forward within the conditions He has set before you.

Someone giving mental assent that they believe in God and someone giving him access to their heart....is two different things. Rather than facing the root of their problems, they just stay angry because they think God didn't love them enough to care. When in fact, God cared TOO MUCH just to throw them a bandaid. He wanted to heal the entire wound.

One of my favorite scriptures is: You have not because you asked not. And when you did ask...you asked wrong. This doesn't mean you didn't use the right verbage or neglected some man made ritutal. What it means is....you didn't ask with the correct intent of the heart. You just wanted to lose weight...without wanting to address why you over eat in the first place.

There are certainly things in life which happen that I nor anyone one else can explain. There also seems to be a great deal of things which God doesn't explain. But in MOST cases....It's man....not God...who hinders miracles.

For the record, this is only MY personal opinion. I don't debate God's Word because He said NOT TO.

Well.

Technically...HE didn't say that.

A book did. Written thousands of years ago. Written by a bunch of guys who heard it from other guys. Etc.

HokeyReligions

That was a great reply Arabess! Very clear. I've heard others try to say almost the same thing, but they get all fumbled up in their explanation. Great job! :D

Tony, but it's enough to see bad things happen to OTHERS, to know that good things are happening to me, isn't it? ;)

-yes

"Tony, but it's enough to see bad things happen to OTHERS, to know that good things are happening to me, isn't it?"

You can never know what hunger is until you are hungry yourself.

I believe everyone has a destiny. Everyone has their own roadmap to paradise. My brother was diagnosed with cancer 3 years ago. If they would've waited two more weeks to diagnose him, he would've been gone. At that time to see him go through all that pain was unbearable. He never did anyone wrong. He has a good heart and a good soul.

Why did this happen to him? Well he's in remission now and looks like he'll be cured. But even going through this I learned alot. I learned that I was so comfortable in having a loving family that I in a sense took them for granted. Kinda like how teenagers think they are invincible. That I always assume they would be there. It opened my eyes to so many things I couldn've even know where to start.

God has given us life and the choices to what we do with it. God can't control our lives like the other poster said. He doesn't create diasters or disease. And what Arabess said is the truth. Nice post :)

True, but having cut your finger is enough to know that having your arm cut off would be BAD.

But I agree that you can't enjoy the good without knowing the bad.

-yes

You know, I read once in a Buddhist teaching that things aren't bad, they aren't good - they just ARE.

Take away the adjectives then all you have are simply a serios of events...

Actually, yes, there is a book with that very title written, I believe, by a rabbi. You might want to look it up.

I've always said...when bad things happen to good people, it's tough shxt. And vice versa. Simple as that!

The book moimeme was speaking of is: "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" by Dr. Harold S Kushner. It was published sometime in the mid-80's.

• Author
Originally posted by ringo0206

i tend to believe the quote "because life sucks and then you die" even though life doesn't suck

life do sucks somtimes but I'm sure it aint fair.People whom we regard as bad attain wealth and power, while those whom we consider good are often just scraping by. Good post arabess, still its a tough question, but there are verses in the book that tells that the good gets what he deserves

Pr.12:21

"There shall no evil happen to the just."

Pr.19:23

"The fear of the Lord tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil."

1 Pet.3:13

"And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?"

Everything happens for a reason. God gives us trials to test our faith in Him. When He does so, it doesn't mean He does not love us or care for us. Life is so boring to live without hardships and pains, and those make us better and stronger persons, wisdomed and learned.

• 5 weeks later...
SilverAngel

Well I am not christain so I will just reply to with what I beilve in to the subject question :

Why do Bad things happen to Good people?

One word: Karma

In the wiccan religion we mainly beilve in rebirth so we think of it this way: You may be a wonderful person in this life but you may have been very bad in a past life and eventualy what you did in your past lives must be avenged for, sort of, so the repercussions find you in one life or other. no matter how good you are in this life there are always things that need to be taken care of left over from a past life.

I dont think this answers what you were really asking since you were asking about God but not being christain I replied in what I could...

Angel

shortbus74

everyone here brings up good points on all aspects of this...

There is no real answer to this question...........people have been asking this since the forming of religion...

good luck on the quest to find the answer! :)

• 2 weeks later...
DarkClouds

HE knows not good nor bad - HE KNOWS only love. You on the other hand live with free will, a life of polarity. All HE grants you is the GIFT. It is only you and your perception on life who decides if it's good and bad. God just grants life - be greatful for ALL. You were born to experience the lessons. Rise above and conquer. You will never be granted anything you can't handle. Blessed be strong.

Well b, Z. x

Hungre4God
Originally posted by UCFKevin

Well.

Technically...HE didn't say that.

A book did. Written thousands of years ago. Written by a bunch of guys who heard it from other guys. Etc.

A book?! Just a book? I've been reading your posts...and you believe in the whole God thing, but don't know about the Jesus thing, right? Well, this "book" is GOD-breathed! Isn't it kinda ironic that 40 different men, from different walks of life, different backgrounds, and different social statuses, agreed on the same controversial topics that are thought upon today? And what do you say about all of the prophecies that are coming true that were predicted in the bible? Is that just a coincidence? I don't understand how people say that they believe in God, but don't believe in His word.

Originally posted by Hungre4God

Isn't it kinda ironic that 40 different men, from different walks of life, different backgrounds, and different social statuses, agreed on the same controversial topics that are thought upon today?

Sorry about being an irony-nazi--but that's not irony at all. That's more a coincidence--but it's not even true. There are contradictions in the Bible--the first two chapters of the first book, for example.

And what do you say about all of the prophecies that are coming true that were predicted in the bible?

I don't know enough about Bible prophecies, because I'm not looking for them. Could you provide some exapmles?

Hungre4God
Originally posted by dyermaker

Sorry about being an irony-nazi--but that's not irony at all. That's more a coincidence--but it's not even true. There are contradictions in the Bible--the first two chapters of the first book, for example.

I don't know enough about Bible prophecies, because I'm not looking for them. Could you provide some exapmles?

Here is just a few prophecies that have been revealed:

"But mark this: there will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of the pleasure rather than lovers of God-having a form of godliness, but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. They are the kind who worm the way into home and gain control over weak-willed women who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires." 2 Timothy 3:1-6

All of these that said in these verses are true...

Here is another one that was predicted:

"Who has believed our message, and whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? He grew up before him, like a tender shoot and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces, be was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrow, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53:1-6

This was said before the crucifixion, before it was known that it was going to happen.

I have plenty more if you would like to know! These are just a few.

How can you think that everything in the Bible was just a coincidence? If you really get into God's word, you will see that it is true...It's so amazing!