"Security" from a Biblical Perspective

We always hear the term "security" thrown around in the Christian culture. We are told by many pastors that God wants us to have, specifically, financial security and all that comes with it.

But if you look exclusively at the Bible, while ignoring the culture, you don't find this anywhere.

What we ARE told in the Bible is:

1) We are not to be lazy or idle.

2) We should work diligently.

3) Whoever does not work--assuming he or she can--will not eat.

Many people assume this means that we should strive to get more money or wealth, but listen to what the Bible actually says:

"Do not toil to acquire wealth; be discerning enough to desist." (Proverbs 23:4 ESV)

This means that, while we should work diligently, our goal should NOT be to acquire wealth. If God sends us wealth as a result of our work, so be it. If he sends us little as a result of our work, so be it.

Additionally, it seems that the idea of "security" is against the Bible. Ancient Israel looked towards Egypt for their financial security since Egypt was a financial powerhouse. God rebuked them for it and ultimately destroyed Egypt for that reason! And then we have pastors telling us to get "security" from our salary and/or retirement plan?

The Bible says God alone should be our hope and security. We are to work diligently and simply be content with what God gives us, not trying to get "security" so that we guarantee a certain lifestyle for x amount of years.

Edited by M30USA
  • Like 1
todreaminblue

Accumulating wealth stockpiling it, to me isnt what its about, to have stability yes, to be prepared for an unknown future, but anything could happen at any time, you could get hit by a truck tomorrow and their are no pockets in a shroud, so i don't think putting all your life's ambition on amounting nest eggs is god's plan for salvation,I had something pop into my head as i was writing this.....life is about service to your brothers...serving not receiving.......i dont know if that is in the bible(could have been a passage i read or a belief i have always had) but i do know that life is service.....service to your family your friends and your faith fellow man and god..you do need money to survive to do that..but you don't need to squat on it...all about movement and personal growth not so much financial status....poor in spirit are embraced might not just mean spirit...god embraces the meek and the humble....i don't know many meek wealthy people,maybe i have not met them yet i will let you know when i do..money does things to peoples spirits....and some of it is not good opens the greed and accumulation of negativity.....deb

• Like 1
  • Author

I agree. I think it's very rare for a rich man to be God-fearing. Why? Because he has no reason to rely upon God (or believes he has no reason). I think a rich person could be God-fearing but it would be an uphill battle to keep his spirit humble. It might take more prayer and reading of Scripture.

• Like 2
todreaminblue
I agree. I think it's very rare for a rich man to be God-fearing. Why? Because he has no reason to rely upon God (or believes he has no reason). I think a rich person could be God-fearing but it would be an uphill battle to keep his spirit humble. It might take more prayer and reading of Scripture.

I think it would, and who that guy hangs around, because there is evil where money flows freely, people get blindsided by ambition adn wealth they forget the simple things, the joy, and if they hang with people who are money orientated......you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas......its not something that can be helped.....theres a scientific theory about environment....that has been proven with identical twins...separated at birth bought up different households different lives....they were completely different when they were bought back together...environment and who you han gwith can rub off not only personality wise but can change your physical appearance...no joke.......fact.......so yes hanging with people who are only concerned with the buck will rub off.......i have met some wealthy men, and their attitude towards me left a lot to be desired....they didnt have any compassion or kindness, they just wanted to take...they were rude blunt and forceful........i call it the take mentality....i had nothing to give them......or would i give to someone who viewed me as a lesser person...i avoided them regularly....ran from them actually....attitude rubs off and they hang together....i do give people chances though....as i said when i meet someone with money who isnt on the take i will let you know...my step father was very money orientated....turned me off money.a bit keepign up with the joneses....never liked any of the presents i gave, even gave one back ....a snake statue i took ages to pick...hours actually...i do agree with god and the scriptures i think that would ground people with what is important .........deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
We always hear the term "security" thrown around in the Christian culture. We are told by many pastors that God wants us to have, specifically, financial security and all that comes with it.

But if you look exclusively at the Bible, while ignoring the culture, you don't find this anywhere.

Many people assume this means that we should strive to get more money or wealth, but listen to what the Bible actually says:

"Do not toil to acquire wealth; be discerning enough to desist." (Proverbs 23:4 ESV)

This means that, while we should work diligently, our goal should NOT be to acquire wealth. If God sends us wealth as a result of our work, so be it. If he sends us little as a result of our work, so be it.

Additionally, it seems that the idea of "security" is against the Bible. Ancient Israel looked towards Egypt for their financial security since Egypt was a financial powerhouse. God rebuked them for it and ultimately destroyed Egypt for that reason! And then we have pastors telling us to get "security" from our salary and/or retirement plan?

The Bible says God alone should be our hope and security. We are to work diligently and simply be content with what God gives us, not trying to get "security" so that we guarantee a certain lifestyle for x amount of years.

Pretty interesting, I was listening to Revive Our Hearts on radio with Nancy Leigh DeMoss. She covered Psalm 73 and Psalm 1. Very good passage to consider along with your post.

Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills. Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence. From their callous hearts comes iniquity; their evil imaginations have no limits. They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression. Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth. Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance. They say, “How would God know? Does the Most High know anything?” This is what the wicked are like—always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.

Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been afflicted, and every morning brings new punishments. If I had spoken out like that, I would have betrayed your children. When I tried to understand all this,it troubled me deeply till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny. Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin. How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors! They are like a dream when one awakes; when you arise, Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.

When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Another good passage from Christ, to give us a proper context of this life:

The Parable of the Rich Fool

Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’ “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

Paul wrote Timothy:

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

• Like 2

Luke 12:24-27...

24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls? 25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit? 26 If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest? 27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

KJB.

• Like 2
  • Author

TFW, great quote above.

I was reading through Deuteronomy where Joshua defeated the Canaanites and the land was divided among the 12 tribes. It spends CHAPTERS going over who gets what. Then it gets to the tribe of Levi (I believe) who were the priestly tribe. It said they got NOTHING because "the Lord is their inheritance". Just like the quote you had above!

• Like 1
  • Author

Not to make this a gender issue, but I would rather listen to that woman teach than 95% of modern male pastors. Gosh, she is great. I don't mean her speaking ability, I mean her absolute grasp of God's Word and passion for it.

• Like 1
Not to make this a gender issue, but I would rather listen to that woman teach than 95% of modern male pastors. Gosh, she is great. I don't mean her speaking ability, I mean her absolute grasp of God's Word and passion for it.

Her relationship/marriage counseling is phenomenal too.

I found Nancy by "accident" one night, scanning channels. Adrian Rogers is right before her and then David Jeremiah/Michael Youssef (alternates) are right after. haha All star line up. :D

I listen to a lot of Christian radio these days while working at my computer. I have pretty much eliminated TV. I am so sick of the trash on television. When I flip through channels, it makes me sick that my money contributes to that garbage, which cable forces me to buy in a bundle package. I would rather pay for just the channels I want.

• Author
Her relationship/marriage counseling is phenomenal too.

And she never married! That's probably why, lol. People on the outside are the only ones who can see things clearly!

I have pretty much eliminated TV. I am so sick of the trash on television. When I flip through channels, it makes me sick that my money contributes to that garbage, which cable forces me to buy in a bundle package. I would rather pay for just the channels I want.

I have been seriously considering dumping my cable TV and only keeping my internet. I mean, seriously, all I ever use the TV for is cartoons for my little kids. I hardly watch anything except maybe AMC channel. Heck, I could save some money every month.

And she never married! That's probably why, lol. People on the outside are the only ones who can see things clearly!

haha that's true. She has a lot of married guests on :laugh:

I have been seriously considering dumping my cable TV and only keeping my internet. I mean, seriously, all I ever use the TV for is cartoons for my little kids. I hardly watch anything except maybe AMC channel. Heck, I could save some money every month.

I went without it for 3 years and I never missed it haha I recently got it back and never watch it. Mainly I'm a news junkie, but I get that fix with RSS feeds these days.

• Author

I have sort of an unrealistic fantasy of completely ridding my home of almost EVERYTHING including couches, televisions, video games, entertainment centers, and even bed frames (minus the mattress). LOL, I know it sounds crazy but, heck, it sure would force you to live without distractions! I heard that Steve Jobs had rooms in his home with literally nothing except a mat and lamp on the floor.

I have sort of an unrealistic fantasy of completely ridding my home of almost EVERYTHING including couches, televisions, video games, entertainment centers, and even bed frames (minus the mattress). LOL, I know it sounds crazy but, heck, it sure would force you to live without distractions! I heard that Steve Jobs had rooms in his home with literally nothing except a mat and lamp on the floor.

haha I know what you mean. Well, silence and solitude was a spiritual discipline used by many Christians in times past...same with fasting and meditating on God's Word. We don't hear much about these disciplines anymore. We have to be connected 24/7 :D I do find spiritual retreats very refreshing to the soul. In the woods, in log cabin, with no internet or media, just hiking, praying, listening (very important), enjoying God's creation, dialoguing with bros in Christ...you come back and society almost shocks you haha

Actually, it's not unrealistic at all....

You should read 'cave in the snow' about a woman who lived in a remote cave in the Hymalayas for 12 years. All she had was a box/bed, a small stove and two or three cooking implements and containers....

She's a Buddhist nun, but the book is about her experience, not her Buddhism, though of course, that does feature...

She had to rely on distant villagers to bring her food supplies, and sometimes, due to weather conditions, they wouldn't turn up for weeks....

It's quite a story of grit, determination and perseverance.

The story of Tenzin Palmo, an Englishwoman, the daughter of a fishmonger from London's East End, who spent 12 years alone in a cave 13,000 feet up in the Himalayas.

Diane Perry grew up in London's East End. At the age of 18 however, she read a book on Buddhism and realised that this might fill a long-sensed void in her life. In 1963, at the age of 20, she went to India, where she eventually entered a monastery.

In 1976 she secluded herself in a remote cave 13,000 feet up in the Himalayas, where she stayed for 12 years between the ages of 33 and 45. In this mountain hideaway she faced unimaginable cold, wild animals, floods, snow and rockfalls, grew her own food and slept in a traditional wooden meditation box, three feet square - she never lay down.

In 1988 she emerged from the cave with a determination to build a convent in northern India to revive the Togdenma lineage, a long-forgotten female spiritual elite.

So you could easily do that in one room of your home.....

• Like 1
Actually, it's not unrealistic at all....

You should read 'cave in the snow' about a woman who lived in a remote cave in the Hymalayas for 12 years. All she had was a box/bed, a small stove and two or three cooking implements and containers....

She's a Buddhist nun, but the book is about her experience, not her Buddhism, though of course, that does feature...

She had to rely on distant villagers to bring her food supplies, and sometimes, due to weather conditions, they wouldn't turn up for weeks....

It's quite a story of grit, determination and perseverance.

So you could easily do that in one room of your home.....

That's a neat story :)

I enjoy a place of solitude, but I don't really have any desire to be a survivalist. haha I'll leave that to Bear Grylls (one of the few shows I do enjoy)

I do think having a sanctuary in the home is really cool. Kind of a funny story, but when I first got saved I used to go into my closet and pray :lmao:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Talk about fundamentalism. Thankfully, I can go with NIV now :lmao:

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

THIS ^^^^^^ is the very thing God is dealing with right now. Having never found security where money is concerned- oh like anyone like to spend it at times (although HATE to go shopping), like to pay bills, help people...

Money actually causes insecurity IMO...is there ever enough?

Man M30, God has been dealing with me bigtime, no major woodshed experience lately (it's probably coming though:o ), but a few "spankings" concerning, "where does my security actually lie"...where is my trust, what seeds are actualy being planted in myself and others?

Thanks to online friends, these threads, and saturating my mind with what is right and true, God is pulling out my lack of trust in Him.

LOL, not much has changed concerning ancient times and I have to wonder if back then there was some sort of indoctrination causing people to believe that government is a form of security. If so then "government" would be a god of sorts. Wow, I never realised that my actual idolitry would be government.

You guys are awesome. Yet another idol that's been exposed in my case.

• Author
That's a neat story :)

I enjoy a place of solitude, but I don't really have any desire to be a survivalist. haha I'll leave that to Bear Grylls (one of the few shows I do enjoy)

I do think having a sanctuary in the home is really cool. Kind of a funny story, but when I first got saved I used to go into my closet and pray :lmao:

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Talk about fundamentalism. Thankfully, I can go with NIV now :lmao:

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

TFW,

We were talking about emptying rooms before so that we don't get distracted and overwhelmed. Well I've done it! My bedroom is completely empty except for a floor mattress and a lamp! Lol! I love it! (In full disclosure, the biggest pieces of furniture went to my ex wife, so it wasn't as hard to clear out as it sounds.)

• Like 1
Pretty interesting, I was listening to Revive Our Hearts on radio with Nancy Leigh DeMoss. She covered Psalm 73 and Psalm 1. Very good passage to consider along with your post.

Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills. Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence. From their callous hearts comes iniquity; their evil imaginations have no limits. They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression. Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth. Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance. They say, “How would God know? Does the Most High know anything?” This is what the wicked are like—always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.

Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been afflicted, and every morning brings new punishments. If I had spoken out like that, I would have betrayed your children. When I tried to understand all this,it troubled me deeply till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny. Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin. How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors! They are like a dream when one awakes; when you arise, Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.

When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Another good passage from Christ, to give us a proper context of this life:

The Parable of the Rich Fool

Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’ “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’ “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’ “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

Paul wrote Timothy:

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Excellent Scriptures. Want to say I am not against riches, or the rich...it's just not my bag, money complicates things on both sides of the fence IMO (rich and poor). Money shouldn't be our God.

Love the pride thing as that is what God is dealing with me right now...

• Like 1
  • Author

Pure,

I've realized the same thing lately. I used to harbor resentment towards people who strive to be rich. Now I have realized I can just be content with my level of money and not care what others do. I no longer have to debate whether it's "right or wrong" for people to chase money. It is what it is. I just happen to prefer simplicity. There is less to worry about. As the Proverb says, give me neither riches nor poverty, but only my daily bread.

• Like 1
Excellent Scriptures. Want to say I am not against riches, or the rich...it's just not my bag, money complicates things on both sides of the fence IMO (rich and poor). Money shouldn't be our God.

Love the pride thing as that is what God is dealing with me right now...

Yes, the scripture states "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil"; the love of money, not money itself. :) By world standards, those of us in Western lifestyles are rich: not only materialistically, but also in terms of freedom. Money is just a tool; not something to worship. Many people compromise righteousness for money, and pierce themselves.

One of Jesus' disciples was a lover of money, instead of God:

"A dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it. “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”

It's interesting that Judas was a thief and greedy, and Jesus knew it, and yet Jesus still allowed Him to be treasurer of his ministry. There's a sermon there :)

Others betrayed for money:

Samson:

Some time later, he fell in love with a woman in the Valley of Sorek whose name was Delilah. The rulers of the Philistines went to her and said, “See if you can lure him into showing you the secret of his great strength and how we can overpower him so we may tie him up and subdue him. Each one of us will give you eleven hundred shekels of silver....So Delilah said to Samson, “Tell me the secret of your great strength and how you can be tied up and subdued.” Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when you won’t confide in me? So he told her everything. “No razor has ever been used on my head,” he said, “because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother’s womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man.” When Delilah saw that he had told her everything, she sent word to the rulers of the Philistines, “Come back once more; he has told me everything.” So the rulers of the Philistines returned with the silver in their hands. After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him. Then she called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison.

Joseph (given a position of high power and wealth, for a purpose):

So Joseph went after his brothers and found them near Dothan. But they saw him in the distance, and before he reached them, they plotted to kill him. “Here comes that dreamer!” they said to each other. “Come now, let’s kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns and say that a ferocious animal devoured him. Then we’ll see what comes of his dreams.” When Reuben heard this, he tried to rescue him from their hands. “Let’s not take his life,” he said. “Don’t shed any blood. Throw him into this cistern here in the wilderness, but don’t lay a hand on him.” Reuben said this to rescue him from them and take him back to his father. As they sat down to eat their meal, they looked up and saw a caravan of Ishmaelites coming from Gilead. Their camels were loaded with spices, balm and myrrh, and they were on their way to take them down to Egypt. Judah said to his brothers, “What will we gain if we kill our brother and cover up his blood? Come, let’s sell him to the Ishmaelites and not lay our hands on him; after all, he is our brother, our own flesh and blood.” His brothers agreed. So when the Midianite merchants came by, his brothers pulled Joseph up out of the cistern and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites, who took him to Egypt...

So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers. And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him, and Pharaoh’s household heard about it. Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph! Is my father still living?” But his brothers were not able to answer him, because they were terrified at his presence. Then Joseph said to his brothers, “Come close to me.” When they had done so, he said, “I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt! And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will be no plowing and reaping. But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.

Pure,

I've realized the same thing lately. I used to harbor resentment towards people who strive to be rich. Now I have realized I can just be content with my level of money and not care what others do. I no longer have to debate whether it's "right or wrong" for people to chase money. It is what it is. I just happen to prefer simplicity. There is less to worry about. As the Proverb says, give me neither riches nor poverty, but only my daily bread.

Agree with everything, bold especially is my truth. There have been times where there was way more than enough and others in which my next meal was in jeapordy.

There is a desire to be prepared. I'm that type that always has those little things that most (at least in my area) don't have. This has served myself and others a lot...lol, all the kids come to me for all of those unusual items. It's just a weird quirk in my personality...kind of a "prepper" of sorts also.

Hey, if others want to have a lot of money, more power to them, which is why in my reply to TFW wanted to make that clear (communication at times lacks greatly concerning the full thought).

You know, when watching HGTV, I think all of those really nice houses are cool....but I don't think I could handle it, and am not sure why completely. I got my place as an inheritance, and was my teenage abode. It was Gods will because I reconnected with my teen years, and as a labor of love and respect to my mother, fixed this place the way she would have liked it. Had to practically gut the entire place, and did 90% of the work myself and with friends help. LOL, it is definitely not up to HGTV standards, although everything is in proper working order and pleasant to the eye.

Both of my parents made decent money, and choose to live a modest lifestyle...lol, my mother LOVED Vegas, and at times feel as if I was raised there and at the LA race tracks...soooo she gambled much of her money, but it was hers to do with as she pleased. My dad saved his money. My grandmother had her own bookee (sp?), so my dad didn't know what to do with either of them at times:laugh:....but when grandma hit the daily double all us grandkids went to Busch Gardens, Knotts Berry Farm, etc.

Hey M30, know I went way off here, but thank you for this thread!!!! In tears thinking of the good/unusual memories...your thread put a smile on my face!

• Like 1
Yes, the scripture states "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil"; the love of money, not money itself. :) By world standards, those of us in Western lifestyles are rich: not only materialistically, but also in terms of freedom. Money is just a tool; not something to worship. Many people compromise righteousness for money, and pierce themselves.

One of Jesus' disciples was a lover of money, instead of God:

"A dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it. “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me.”

It's interesting that Judas was a thief and greedy, and Jesus knew it, and yet Jesus still allowed Him to be treasurer of his ministry. There's a sermon there :)

Others betrayed for money:

Samson:

Some time later, he fell in love with a woman in the Valley of Sorek whose name was Delilah. The rulers of the Philistines went to her and said, “See if you can lure him into showing you the secret of his great strength and how we can overpower him so we may tie him up and subdue him. Each one of us will give you eleven hundred shekels of silver....So Delilah said to Samson, “Tell me the secret of your great strength and how you can be tied up and subdued.” Then she said to him, “How can you say, ‘I love you,’ when you won’t confide in me? So he told her everything. “No razor has ever been used on my head,” he said, “because I have been a Nazirite dedicated to God from my mother’s womb. If my head were shaved, my strength would leave me, and I would become as weak as any other man.” When Delilah saw that he had told her everything, she sent word to the rulers of the Philistines, “Come back once more; he has told me everything.” So the rulers of the Philistines returned with the silver in their hands. After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him. Then she called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!” Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison.

Joseph (given a position of high power and wealth, for a purpose):

So Joseph went after his brothers and found them near Dothan. But they saw him in the distance, and before he reached them, they plotted to kill him. “Here comes that dreamer!” they said to each other. “Come now, let’s kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns and say that a ferocious animal devoured him. Then we’ll see what comes of his dreams.” When Reuben heard this, he tried to rescue him from their hands. “Let’s not take his life,” he said. “Don’t shed any blood. Throw him into this cistern here in the wilderness, but don’t lay a hand on him.” Reuben said this to rescue him from them and take him back to his father. As they sat down to eat their meal, they looked up and saw a caravan of Ishmaelites coming from Gilead. Their camels were loaded with spices, balm and myrrh, and they were on their way to take them down to Egypt. Judah said to his brothers, “What will we gain if we kill our brother and cover up his blood? Come, let’s sell him to the Ishmaelites and not lay our hands on him; after all, he is our brother, our own flesh and blood.” His brothers agreed. So when the Midianite merchants came by, his brothers pulled Joseph up out of the cistern and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites, who took him to Egypt...

So there was no one with Joseph when he made himself known to his brothers. And he wept so loudly that the Egyptians heard him, and Pharaoh’s household heard about it. Joseph said to his brothers, “I am Joseph! Is my father still living?” But his brothers were not able to answer him, because they were terrified at his presence. Then Joseph said to his brothers, “Come close to me.” When they had done so, he said, “I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt! And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. For two years now there has been famine in the land, and for the next five years there will be no plowing and reaping. But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.

This is wayyyyy cool TFW...want to add to a really awesome review, that it is important to understand where our "money" comes from in the first place:D

Had a better response but lost it...man I hate it when that happens!

• Like 1