Christian creeds, hymns, or poems

TheFinalWord

Dear brothers and sisters,

After all the fun I've had with harmfulsweetz awesome music thread I thought I would do a spin-off and ask what are your favorite Christian creeds, hymns, or poems?

Many hymns contain essential doctrine. :) Why does that particular creeds or hymns speak to you? If you've written poetry about Christian faith (in any form, i.e. your personal music preference) that would be really neat to see--anything with musical/or theatrical orientation.

Here is a little background on creeds:

What is a Creed?

I'll start with my favorite, the Nicene Creed. I love this creed because it unites Christians under a common banner.

We believe in one God,

the Father, the Almighty,

maker of heaven and earth,

of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,

the only Son of God,

eternally begotten of the Father,

God from God, light from light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made,

of one Being with the Father;

through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation

he came down from heaven,

was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary

and became truly human.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;

he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again

in accordance with the Scriptures;

he ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,

and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,

who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],

who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,

who has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the world to come. Amen.

One of my favorite hymns describing Polycarp of Smyrna. Polycarp was the direct disciple of the apostle John. He was martyred for his faith....

St. Polycarp, Bishop and Martyr

Polycarp, thou art old, and should free thyself from torments which thou hast not strength to bear; swear, therefore, by the fortune of Caesar, and exclaim with the people, 'Be the impious exterminated!'" The saint immediately replied: "Yes! be the impious exterminated--but by the impious I mean the idolaters." The proconsul, thinking that he had gained him over, said: "Now blaspheme Jesus Christ, and I will discharge thee." The saint rejoined: "I have served Jesus Christ these fourscore and six years; he never did me harm, but much good; how can I blaspheme him? How can I blaspheme my Creator and my Saviour, who is also my judge, and who justly punishes those who deny him?" The tyrant, still continuing to tempt him to deny Jesus Christ, Polycarp replied that he was a Christian, and considered it a glory to die for Christ.

The proconsul threatened him with wild beasts. "Call for them quickly," replied the saint; "I cannot change from good to evil; the beasts will help me to pass from mortal suffering to the glory of heaven." "Then," said the tyrant, "thou shalt be burned alive." The saint answered: "Thy fire only lasts a moment; there is another fire which is eternal, and of that I am afraid. Why dost thou delay to execute thy threats?"

Here is his hymn...enjoy :)

"By sharing in the ways of the Apostles, you became a successor to their throne. Through the practice of virtue, you found the way to divine contemplation, O inspired one of God; by teaching the word of truth without error, you defended the Faith, even to the shedding of your blood. Hieromartyr Polycarp, entreat Christ God to save our souls. Through virtues, you offered spiritual fruit to the Lord, therefore, you were glorified as a worthy hierarch, wise Polycarp. Today, we who have been enlightened by your words extol in song your praise-worthy memory, there-by giving glory to the Lord."

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 5
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Whitney Houston - Amazing Grace - YouTube RIP sweet sweet child of God.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't have a creed. But that's ok God still loves me. :love:

That's okay Mercy! :)

Gave me a good idea ;)

• Like 1

it keeps me centered:

I have my mission

God has created me

to do Him some definite service;

He has committed some work to me

which He has not committed

to another.

I have my mission …

I am a link in a chain,

a bond of connection between persons.

He has not created me for naught.

I shall do good. I shall do His work.

I shall be an angel of peace,

a preacher of truth in my own place

while not intending it –

if I do but keep His commandments.

Therefore I will trust Him.

Whatever, wherever I am,

I can never be thrown away.

If I am in sickness,

my sickness may serve Him;

in perplexity,

my perplexity may serve Him;

if I am in sorrow,

my sorrow may serve Him.

He does nothing in vain,

He knows what He is about.

~ Cardinal John Henry Newman

• Like 3
it keeps me centered:

I have my mission

God has created me

to do Him some definite service;

He has committed some work to me

which He has not committed

to another.

I have my mission …

I am a link in a chain,

He has not created me for naught.

I shall do good. I shall do His work.

I shall be an angel of peace,

a preacher of truth in my own place

while not intending it –

if I do but keep His commandments.

Therefore I will trust Him.

Whatever, wherever I am,

I can never be thrown away.

If I am in sickness,

my sickness may serve Him;

in perplexity,

my perplexity may serve Him;

if I am in sorrow,

my sorrow may serve Him.

He does nothing in vain,

He knows what He is about.

~ Cardinal John Henry Newman

Oh, I just love this! It's going on my frig. Thank you so much for posting it.

This just touched my soul - I am a link in a chain,

• Like 2
  • Author
TheFinalWord
Oh, I just love this! It's going on my frig. Thank you so much for posting it.

This just touched my soul - I am a link in a chain,

I agree, I really enjoyed it :)

Definitely will be meditating on this for the upcoming week :D

• Like 2

thanks guys, a deacon i was interviewing said it was his favorite bit of poetry, and I could immediately see why ... the "bond of connection" phrase is how I see my work as a journalist; the "my sickness/perplexity/sorry may serve him" gets me through those periods of doubt (and right now, unemployment!) to remind me that there's a plan, even when I can't see it :love::love:

• Like 3

Between me and You, there is only me.

Take away the me, so only You remain. - Hallaj

There are as many paths to God as there are souls on Earth. - Hadith

I know, it's Sufism. If it offends you I'll ask that it be removed. :)

• Like 2

Here is a prayer by Alphonsus Ligouri that I really like:

"Oh Sacred Heart of Jesus, living and life-giving fountain of eternal life, infinite treasure of the Divinity, and glowing furnace of love, you are my refuge and my sanctuary. Oh adorable and glorious Savior, consume my heart with that burning fire that ever inflames your heart. Pour down on my soul those graces which flow from your love. Let my heart be so united with yours that our wills may be one, and mine may in all things be conformed to yours. May your will be the rule of both my desires and my actions"

• Like 2

Make me a channel of your peace.

Where there is hatred let me bring your

love.

Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord

And where there's doubt, true faith in

you.

Chorus:

Oh, Master grant that I may never seek

So much to be consoled as to console

To be understood as to understand

To be loved as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace

Where there's despair in life, let me bring

hope

Where there is darkness, only light

And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Chorus:

Make me a channel of your peace

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned

In giving to all men that we receive

And in dying that we're born to eternal

life.

Chorus:

Just lovely.

Edited by TaraMaiden
  • Like 3

I grew up catholic and I have fallen a long way in my beliefs but I always respected this scripture “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” I don't think of God but of my own dad

• Like 3
I grew up catholic and I have fallen a long way in my beliefs but I always respected this scripture “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” I don't think of God but of my own dad

Philipians 4:13 I believe, one of my favorites as well

• Like 2
Dear brothers and sisters,

After all the fun I've had with harmfulsweetz awesome music thread I thought I would do a spin-off and ask what are your favorite Christian creeds, hymns, or poems?

Many hymns contain essential doctrine. :) Why does that particular creeds or hymns speak to you? If you've written poetry about Christian faith (in any form, i.e. your personal music preference) that would be really neat to see--anything with musical/or theatrical orientation.

Here is a little background on creeds:

What is a Creed?

I'll start with my favorite, the Nicene Creed. I love this creed because it unites Christians under a common banner.

We believe in one God,

the Father, the Almighty,

maker of heaven and earth,

of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,

the only Son of God,

eternally begotten of the Father,

God from God, light from light,

true God from true God,

begotten, not made,

of one Being with the Father;

through him all things were made.

For us and for our salvation

he came down from heaven,

was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary

and became truly human.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;

he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again

in accordance with the Scriptures;

he ascended into heaven

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,

and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,

who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],

who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,

who has spoken through the prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,

and the life of the world to come. Amen.

One of my favorite hymns describing Polycarp of Smyrna. Polycarp was the direct disciple of the apostle John. He was martyred for his faith....

St. Polycarp, Bishop and Martyr

Polycarp, thou art old, and should free thyself from torments which thou hast not strength to bear; swear, therefore, by the fortune of Caesar, and exclaim with the people, 'Be the impious exterminated!'" The saint immediately replied: "Yes! be the impious exterminated--but by the impious I mean the idolaters." The proconsul, thinking that he had gained him over, said: "Now blaspheme Jesus Christ, and I will discharge thee." The saint rejoined: "I have served Jesus Christ these fourscore and six years; he never did me harm, but much good; how can I blaspheme him? How can I blaspheme my Creator and my Saviour, who is also my judge, and who justly punishes those who deny him?" The tyrant, still continuing to tempt him to deny Jesus Christ, Polycarp replied that he was a Christian, and considered it a glory to die for Christ.

The proconsul threatened him with wild beasts. "Call for them quickly," replied the saint; "I cannot change from good to evil; the beasts will help me to pass from mortal suffering to the glory of heaven." "Then," said the tyrant, "thou shalt be burned alive." The saint answered: "Thy fire only lasts a moment; there is another fire which is eternal, and of that I am afraid. Why dost thou delay to execute thy threats?"

Here is his hymn...enjoy :)

"By sharing in the ways of the Apostles, you became a successor to their throne. Through the practice of virtue, you found the way to divine contemplation, O inspired one of God; by teaching the word of truth without error, you defended the Faith, even to the shedding of your blood. Hieromartyr Polycarp, entreat Christ God to save our souls. Through virtues, you offered spiritual fruit to the Lord, therefore, you were glorified as a worthy hierarch, wise Polycarp. Today, we who have been enlightened by your words extol in song your praise-worthy memory, there-by giving glory to the Lord."

The words to the apostles creed have changed about a year ago. You should get your ass to church!

• Author
TheFinalWord
Philipians 4:13 I believe, one of my favorites as well

Me too! Provides me with strength on a regular basis. One of my favorites, in Paul's first letter to the church at Corinth:

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

One day we will not need faith, we will see God face to face

One day we will not need hope, Christ will return and fulfill our desires

But God's love will abide forever. :)

Beautiful rendition:

Edited by TheFinalWord

The words to the apostles creed have changed about a year ago. You should get your ass to church! GRRRR!!! Don't remind me ~ I'm thinking that the bishops who changed the wording of the Roman Missal were really just a bunch of grumpy-ass editors with a bunch of red-ink pens who wanted to mess with our heads! Because as I read the cheat sheet readily available in the pews, most of these changes strike me as unnecessary!

• Like 1
The words to the apostles creed have changed about a year ago. You should get your ass to church!

The King James Version of the Bible, is no longer used either - and more's the pity - the poeticism of its writing, far excels anything produced today.... There's a lot to be said for 'modernising' literature, but I can't help thinking that such loss of poetry takes us a little further away from grace....

• Like 1

I've always loved "The Anima Christi ...

Soul of Christ, sanctify me

Body of Christ, save me

Blood of Christ, inebriate me

Water from Christ's side, wash me

Passion of Christ, strengthen me

O good Jesus, hear me

Within Thy wounds hide me

Suffer me not to be separated from Thee

From the malicious enemy defend me

In the hour of my death call me

And bid me come unto Thee

That I may praise Thee with Thy saints

and with Thy angels

Forever and ever

Amen

• Like 1
The words to the apostles creed have changed about a year ago. You should get your ass to church! GRRRR!!! Don't remind me ~ I'm thinking that the bishops who changed the wording of the Roman Missal were really just a bunch of grumpy-ass editors with a bunch of red-ink pens who wanted to mess with our heads! Because as I read the cheat sheet readily available in the pews, most of these changes strike me as unnecessary!

They changed the words because it is closer to the Latin translation. It came from the Vatican.

As it is, I don't need to use the cheat sheet. :p

• Author
TheFinalWord

Thanks for the update. I think it would be helpful to this thread if you wanted to post those updated creeds for educational purposes. :)

I go to a non-denominational church; probably not traditional by most standards. We do not read/study creeds in my church. Most non-Catholic churches in US have statements of faith. They will also use a lot of ancient hymns, though usually jazzed up with guitar and drums ;)

The King James Version of the Bible, is no longer used either - and more's the pity - the poeticism of its writing, far excels anything produced today.... There's a lot to be said for 'modernising' literature, but I can't help thinking that such loss of poetry takes us a little further away from grace....

I agree! Our pastor and the majority of the church still use KJ version. There is a beauty in those words. I think they should leave Shakespeare and the bible alone.

If they make it any simpler to read it's going to come with pictures and crayons.

Speaking of Shakespeare! *running to find* Though I think I could quote it!

The quality of mercy is not strain'd,

It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:

It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.

'T is mightiest in the mightiest: it becomes

The throned monarch better than his crown;

His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,

The attribute to awe and majesty,

Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;

But mercy is above this sceptred sway,

It is enthroned in the hearts of kings,

It is an attribute to God himself;

And earthly power doth then show likest God's,

When mercy seasons justice. Therefore, Jew,

Though justice be thy plea, consider this,

That in the course of justice none of us

Should see salvation: we do pray for mercy;

And that same prayer doth teach us all to render

The deeds of mercy.William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice", Act 4 scene 1

Greatest English dramatist & poet (1564 - 1616)

Edited by mercy
wanted to add
  • Like 1
They changed the words because it is closer to the Latin translation. It came from the Vatican.

As it is, I don't need to use the cheat sheet. :p

The Vatican has a lot to answer for.

Seriously, this is sacrilege,almost.

And I don't even believe in god....:rolleyes:

• Like 1
Thanks for the update. I think it would be helpful to this thread if you wanted to post those updated creeds for educational purposes. :)

I go to a non-denominational church; probably not traditional by most standards. We do not read/study creeds in my church. Most non-Catholic churches in US have statements of faith. They will also use a lot of ancient hymns, though usually jazzed up with guitar and drums ;)

I have never been to any church but the Catholic church but I do think they all serve the same purpose in teaching faith.

My favorite prayer is tied between the Lords Prayer and the Hail Mary.

The words to the new Creed are:

We believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of Heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, born of the Father before all ages. God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary and became man

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried. He rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and iis seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom shall have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord the giver of life, who proceeds with the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one holy Catholic and apostolic church, I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sin, I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

• Like 1

i still say it's a bunch of crabby-ass bishop-editors with too much red ink ... I know they wanted to be in line with the Latin, but sometimes translations don't work when their literally ... literal! Like the "of all things visible and invisible" phrase. The previous usage worked just as well "of all things seen and unseen." It really didn't "lose" anything in translation, and therefore didn't really need to be changed, IMO.