Thoughts on Death?

What are your thoughts about death? Are you afraid of it? Do you believe or hope for some sort of afterlife? If so, why?

I think about my mortality multiple times per day. It is something that is almost always in the back of my mind during every task I perform. The constant reminder that I could lose it all in the next few seconds amplifies my meaning and purpose to life. It forces me to live in the moment to the point of it being hard to imagine myself in 2-3 years. It makes me happy knowing that I am healthy and appreciate the life I live, and it lets me live up to my full potential. By doing so, death is something I am no longer afraid of.

I was taught to fear death mainly because it's taboo in our society. Over time however, I realized that death itself wasn't what I was afraid of. I am more afraid of dying as someone I don't want to be. I want to go as the person I know I am. Dying with regret or unfulfillment in my opinion is the worst punishment.

I hope that this is it. I don't want to live in any kind of after life, nor do I want to be reincarnated as something or someone else. I believe in getting it right the first time, and one life is enough work for me. Existing after death seems meaningless to me, even a land of paradise would eventually turn to hell. If something has no end, then what's the point of it?

I believe that once you're dead, that's it- you cease to exist. You decay and turn to dust at some point. I believe in nothing more than that.

I do believe life is precious, you only get one chance at it, so make the best of it.

I'm not afraid of death at all. I don't want to die, but I know that when I do die, I won't be conscious that I am dead- so it won't really be an issue.

Breezy Trousers

Ever notice how people who have near death experiences never get defensive when scientists discount their experiences or reduce it to pure biology? That's because, once we see the Truth, we know there's nothing to defend. We see this world is a particle of dust compared to Reality.

I am a former agnostic/atheist who was "struck" with a series of mystical experiences in July of 1986.

I no longer fear death.

I only experienced this Love/Reality for brief instants, but nothing in this world compared to It. Nothing. It cannot even be articulated.

Trust me: This world is a hellish plane fraught with dark illusions even on the brightest, most joyous days because our perception is so veiled, we don't even know it.

I heard there's reference in the Bible that THIS world is an upside down kingdom. No doubt about it. The fact we cling so hard to it is an example of how upside down our perception is .... Yet I trust there must be a reason for this world which is beyond my understanding.

Having said that, my favorite quote on this topic is Woody Allen's: "I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be around when it's happening."

Ditto!

Edited by Breezy Trousers
  • Like 1

Death does not hold sway over me.

I've lost consciousness underwater.

I've been in the ocean with sharks.

I've broke my body against rocks.

The threat of death is not unfamiliar but rather commonplace because of my hobbies.

Raised in a religious household, I've always believed in an afterlife.

But it's the desire to live this life fully that keeps me from fearing death.

If I feared it, I'd alter my lifestyle which in turn, compromises its quality.

No way will I do that.

And no way will I go gentle into that good night.

ETAsk: Pelican, why do you think about death so often? Do you engage in dangerous activities or is it simply something you're interested in examining?

Edited by cerridwen
I believe that once you're dead, that's it- you cease to exist. You decay and turn to dust at some point. I believe in nothing more than that.

Wow, you sound just like my dad! That makes me smile:) and abit of :( as he's no longer alive. He was such an atheist.

I'd like to believe there's something else out there after we pass away. Sure our bodies turn to dust, but what we're made of, that energy, our inner spirit, has to be released somewhere and go somewhere. Part of me feels, this can't be "it", life as we know it.. There has to be something after.

I AM afraid of death..The dying process. I'm also afraid of losing my H, my family, my friends. Losing my father was unbelievably hard.

I've seen enough of death close up now that I'm at peace with it. IMO, it's healthier to focus on living a good life and leave the grim reaper for the end of the process.

In general, I'm not afraid of death. 90% of the time, I associate it with peace. The remaining 10% I'm worried that there is such a thing as reincarnation :laugh:

I have lived my life as fully as I can and for the most part I continue to do so, so if I all of a sudden were to fall fatally sick tomorrow, I would feel that I'd have given it my best shot.

I also use the thought of death to structure my priorities, along the lines of 'If you only had X amount of time left, what would you first?'. It helps me sort out what's most important on my to do list.

Like some others here, I am afraid of the physical pain leading up to death. My father passed away a couple of years ago and I have another close family member in the (slow) process of dying at the moment, both from illnesses that cause a lot of pain and discomfort. I really wish they didn't have to endure that, and I dread the day it might be my turn.

I do wish death was more talked about in my society. I think it's also a time of intimacy and reflection over what's important. For some reason we're not really talking about those things much where I live.

Feelin Frisky

I don't fear death, I don't welcome it either. I discount that there is any "after-life" in the familiar notions of faith/lore. What anyone believes does not change what actually is, so suffice it to say that everything that everyone believes is faulty and therefore no one has any better or more correct conception than anyone else. It is far better to be grateful for the one life we can be sure of and live it as if that's all we get. There is something inherently insane about belief in after-lives--it's an assumption that the self is the center of some great cosmic contrivance which is too close to narcissism, ego-centrism et al to be good for you or those around you. It's not "all about you" or "all about me" or "all about" each of the other billions of beings who also happen to be fortunate to be born. It's about what we make it to be about and too much time--far too much time is spent on bended knee in fear and desperate hope for eternal deliverance and on our feet and on the ball of redeeming our collective selves.

I don't fear death, I don't welcome it either. I discount that there is any "after-life" in the familiar notions of faith/lore. What anyone believes does not change what actually is, so suffice it to say that everything that everyone believes is faulty and therefore no one has any better or more correct conception than anyone else. It is far better to be grateful for the one life we can be sure of and live it as if that's all we get. There is something inherently insane about belief in after-lives--it's an assumption that the self is the center of some great cosmic contrivance which is too close to narcissism, ego-centrism et al to be good for you or those around you. It's not "all about you" or "all about me" or "all about" each of the other billions of beings who also happen to be fortunate to be born. It's about what we make it to be about and too much time--far too much time is spent on bended knee in fear and desperate hope for eternal deliverance and on our feet and on the ball of redeeming our collective selves.

I wouldn't go that far.

Don't you think what you've said is a bit offensive to people who do believe in an afterlife?

Anyway, I'm not scared of death, I just see it as myself finally being able to be at peace.

What are your thoughts about death? Are you afraid of it? Do you believe or hope for some sort of afterlife? If so, why?

I think about my mortality multiple times per day. It is something that is almost always in the back of my mind during every task I perform. The constant reminder that I could lose it all in the next few seconds amplifies my meaning and purpose to life. It forces me to live in the moment to the point of it being hard to imagine myself in 2-3 years. It makes me happy knowing that I am healthy and appreciate the life I live, and it lets me live up to my full potential. By doing so, death is something I am no longer afraid of.

I was taught to fear death mainly because it's taboo in our society. Over time however, I realized that death itself wasn't what I was afraid of. I am more afraid of dying as someone I don't want to be. I want to go as the person I know I am. Dying with regret or unfulfillment in my opinion is the worst punishment.

I hope that this is it. I don't want to live in any kind of after life, nor do I want to be reincarnated as something or someone else. I believe in getting it right the first time, and one life is enough work for me. Existing after death seems meaningless to me, even a land of paradise would eventually turn to hell. If something has no end, then what's the point of it?

I dont anyone is afraid of being dead. Its the getting there thats scary for the pain is probably unimaginable :o.

Breezy Trousers

I deeply believe in God but am more inclined to agree with what is highlighted here than the conventional belief in a "Disney World" afterlife. I think we dissolve into something vaster than ourselves. It's only frightening to us because we are so attached to our egos/identities which, in my view, is hell. Sad joke, really. We're collectively sitting in a room bright with light, holding our hands over our eyes and complaining it is dark. Death may release us from that illusion. Hope so. There is something greater beyond this.

I deeply believe in God but am more inclined to agree with what is highlighted here than the conventional belief in a "Disney World" afterlife. I think we dissolve into something vaster than ourselves. It's only frightening to us because we are so attached to our egos/identities which, in my view, is hell. Sad joke, really. We're collectively sitting in a room bright with light, holding our hands over our eyes and complaining it is dark. Death may release us from that illusion. Hope so. There is something greater beyond this.

What could be greater than this? Life is the best thing ever. I think too many people focus too much on the afterlife that they forget to live this life. As Russell Crowe said in a certain movie: "What we do in life.. echoes in eternity."

This life is what counts I think, and it's what we make of it thats the most important thing and what we are remembered for. Some people unfortunately waste it by getting into drugs, crime etc.

As for me, no I am not afraid of death. I have peace and I know if I die now I'll have done all that I could to live the best life I could. What I am afraid of though, is morbidity. When the day arrives that I am no longer able to care for myself, that I need to have my own butt wiped. Or, God forbid, that my mind starts going. I saw what happened to my grandfather in his last years. It was so sad watching him deteriorate. That is the worst that can happen in life, and there is a possibility that when these days arrive, then that shall be the day I point a gun to my head.

Breezy Trousers
What could be greater than this? Life is the best thing ever. .

Good point.

Because you quoted me, I want to point out that I didn't mean we can't have a happy life here and now. (I, for one, do. :))

All mystics of all religions agree that there's something greater beyond our perception. My hope is that an afterlife might allow us to experience the totality of that ... To point this out is not to imply we can't have a happy life here and now. It's just that the happiness we experience may still be quite muted in comparison to the joy that lies beyond (our perception)..... Fact is, the same mystics would agree with your point: Live in the here & now! .... To unitive consciousness, life and death are part of the greater whole rather than either/or states. All are to be embraced, not feared.

It's really something that goes beyond words. Just want to say you make a good point.

When I referred to the hellish plane here, I was referring to war, famine, betrayal, hurt, sickness, confusion, morbidity, etc. all human beings experience. In fact, acknowledging that human beings suffer is part of most religions, too. No one can put a positive spin on that or pretend that doesn't exist. You and I are having a happy dream today but that may turn into a nightmare for us tomorrow. No one is immune. Death is just one example of that lack of immunity. Expanding our ability to love & be aware allows us to transcend that. (Again, yet another teaching most religions have in common...) We don't need to die to do that. We can do that now.

Edited by Breezy Trousers
  • Like 1
There is something inherently insane about belief in after-lives--it's an assumption that the self is the center of some great cosmic contrivance which is too close to narcissism, ego-centrism et al to be good for you or those around you. It's not "all about you" or "all about me" or "all about" each of the other billions of beings who also happen to be fortunate to be born.

It's irrational in terms of requiring strict adherence and belief, without any evidence. It's irrational for people to fly planes into buildings in the belief that they'll be rewarded with virgins in heaven.

However, many people who adhere to a religious belief live life very well in terms of working hard/running their businesses well, having good relationships and being healthy physically and mentally. That's the rational aspect of it.

If subscribing to a belief system works well for a person, increases/maintains their personal sense of peace and wellbeing and they're not harming or oppressing anybody in the way they exercise their beliefs then what's irrational or insane about subscribing to that belief system?

I have little time for religious zealots...but I've encountered people who peacefully practice a faith and seem like very sound, happy and tolerant human beings. Quite the opposite of narcissistic or insane, I would say.

• Like 1

What are your thoughts about death? Are you afraid of it?

No. Never seen death as an issue. I'm really not fond of getting old. W/ all the hereditary illnesses in my family that take years to finally pass, I'd prefer death at a young age.

Do you believe or hope for some sort of afterlife? If so, why?

I'm agnostic so I'm really not sure.

Citizen Erased

I'm not afraid of dying myself, but I am afraid of death coming too soon for the people that I love. There are certain people that I don't quite know how I would continue to live my life without them in it.

I believe that there is more than likely nothing there on the "other side", but I hope I'm wrong. It pains me to think of the people that are such an important part of my life, so deserving of a blessed and fulfilling afterlife, and them just disappearing into nothing.

yes, yes, yes, and yes. :)

i also prefer not to believe in the notion of an afterlife; i prefer to think that this is it. get your shyt together now, not tomorrow, and certainly don't put things off cos everything will be fine in the afterlife. frankly i think that's bullshyt :sick: i think we should live from moment to moment and make the best of the here and now.

that said- i don't fear death. i believe death is beautiful. to me the process of entering this world is every bit as beautiful as leaving it.

i've been thinking about this topic a lot myself lately. not cos i'm making some sort of suicidal death wish :laugh: but because i don't think that society talks about it enough. if anything the messages appear to be quite the opposite: the message that we should all live forever, and if you don't like your current lot in life, then just sit tight because the gates of heaven await !! :rolleyes: well **** that; like thor i'm off my ass bashing trolls who stand in my way :lmao:

I'm not afraid of dying myself, but I am afraid of death coming too soon for the people that I love. There are certain people that I don't quite know how I would continue to live my life without them in it.

I believe that there is more than likely nothing there on the "other side", but I hope I'm wrong. It pains me to think of the people that are such an important part of my life, so deserving of a blessed and fulfilling afterlife, and them just disappearing into nothing.

i believe in an afterlife. but to me the afterlife is distinctly within the memory of the living. none of this 'paranormal activity' stuff; that stuff is just for the movies.

if you want to 'live forever', give people (or the world) a reason to remember you after you've gone. :)

I believe in one creator of all things, God the Father. Creative design is the only possible explanation for our existence. Evolution is a mathematical impossibility. I believe our earthly life is a temporary existence. Our spirit is what will live on after our physical body is dead. I've been around death and the dying, since I was a volunteer at a hospice for a couple of years. Some of the patients have experienced seeing images of their pre-deceased loved ones before them in their final hours and days. Some of the volunteers have experienced seeing the soul rising from the body after death. People with near death experiences have reported experiencing an out-of-body existence where their spirit is aware of and can see the body below and separately during the time their life had ended and before they were medically brought back to life. Our spirit is what will live on and is eternal. At the death of our body, our spirit will be reunited with God in paradise if we are His followers. Our spirit will live in peace and happiness with God for all eternity. Those who have rejected Him in this life will have eternal separation from God. I don't fear death, because at death I will be reunited with God for all eternity.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

To me, death means no more inconveniences and NO MORE TAXES!!!!! (Of course, this is assuming Uncle Sam isn't working on a way to tax our souls in the afterlife...)

It also means my ideal woman will be waiting for me in the afterlife. :p

I highly recommend a book called Journey of Souls.

It's about a Doctors case studies about putting people under hypnosis and taking them back to memories of right after they died in previous lives and during the process in which their soul returns to its original place.

You'll read dialog between the patient and the doctor and he will give you his thesis on all what he has found out over the years and consistencies between all the information and descriptions the patients give him.

The book suggests that we choose to incarnate on earth and are set up with certain circumstances (including the choosing of the parents). It suggests that the reason we incarnate on earth is to gain experience and learn lessons so the soul can develop.

Very informative and interesting book, especially if you fear death and have anxieties about it.

Edited by Codez

I am not bothered about dying but do think about those who I love passing away at times.. as you do.

I have had some pretty incredible spiritual experiences not even asked for, whilst minding my own business getting on with my life. It has taken years to process what this means to me but yes, I believe that there are other levels of life and that there is another place which is really home.

Take care,

Eve x

i think this is it. once you're gone you're gone. i don't hope for an afterlife. i want the friends and family that miss me to know that im gone and they can move on and live their lives to the fullest. im not "up there" watching. they can hate me for dying if they need to. and they can be happy even though i'm not around. these are things that i've learned by experiencing other's deaths.

i'm not really afraid of dying but the living you do up to the point of death could suck pretty bad.

i also don't like open casket funerals so i've asked to be cremated and not kept around. i'd really like to have a little decoration next to where my first dog is memorialized. i want people to remember me being alive and telling jokes and laughing, not dead and cold. i think it's gross and i think certain funerals have made the concept of death more difficult rather than easier.