I will be visiting a Muslim Mosque soon and am embarrassed that I am wondering if there is anything I should know about regarding custom or dress before I attend? I am not attending a service but more of an informational meeting. I just want to be courteous and respectful.

I've never been in a mosque, but here's what wiki says about what to wear

it is recommended that women at a mosque wear loose clothing that covers to the wrists and ankles, and cover their heads with a hijab or other covering.

So you'll probably be fine in a long skirt and a long sleeved top..with some kind of scarf on your head. The headscarf strikes me as probably being the part that would be most difficult to get right...but I would guess that as long as people can see you've made an effort to dress suitably for the surroundings, they'll appreciate it. Here's a picture of somebody in a headscarf that looks as though it would be fairly easy to replicate.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cairochronicles.com/jack/photos/egypt/kdscarf.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cairochronicles.com/jack/%3Fp%3D58&usg=__p6VWYpqtl5gzECL6ZwdkpIF6h_w=&h=1074&w=934&sz=154&hl=en&start=51&sig2=8vNsBpcHYJso64jrjmtGug&zoom=1&tbnid=GAhnIe8SZpb3rM:&tbnh=146&tbnw=120&ei=9uTKTemBEZO2sAPF_7mpDQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhead%2Bscarf%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D632%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch0%2C874&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=559&vpy=249&dur=7638&hovh=241&hovw=209&tx=128&ty=179&page=3&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:51&biw=1366&bih=632

• Author

Yep, thats what I read too...I just fear that I will appear foolish since it is not a religious service I have been invited to but more of a social gatering..its just that its at a Mosque so, Im not sure.

I mean...maybe there is a reception room...is that possible or is the entire building a MOSQUE?

I know, this is ridiculous, but I have to do it right

I found this for travelers to Turkey:

2. To visit mosques, clean and modest dress is appreciated and often required. In short, don't show thighs, shoulders or tops of upper arms. Slacks, or knee-length skirt or dress; blouse or top with sleeves to at least the mid-upper-arm. Have a headscarf to cover your hair. In cooler seasons, a light hoodie is a great idea: just raise the hood when entering a mosque, and you needn't bother with a headscarf!

TBH, it isn't much different than what my mom used to wear to Catholic church.

^ yeah thats the only requirment and one other thing is that dont walk with your shoes on the mosque carpet, just try take you shoes off at the mosque door, rest should be fine, if you are women, you will be other women, even if you make mistakes, no worries, most muslims are friendly people

Can she take socks or ballet pump type slippers to change into?

• Author

This is perfect - thank you so much, knew I came to the right place. The hoodie suggestion might work for my daughter who I am bringing with me (and for some reason is not thrilled with required head gear)

Also - would black be ok?

• Author

Well, the Mosque visit was good. Thanks to everyone who helped me out I was able to dress correctly , be comfortable, and not nervous at all. ( others apparently did NOT ask!).

It was an "open house" kind of thing. I learned a lot..especially that as far as religion goes we have more similarities than differences. So, Im happy I took my daughter.

But..i thought we would be there 2 hours tops and it was actually 5. So, I did feel hostage like seeing as I had not eaten before hand. But...they served dinner after and it was fantastic.