Love, the purpose of life

TheNextAdventure

The absolute best most significant moments in life are the ones you experience alone. Reading a life changing book, having and epiphany, witnessing a miracle, overcoming challenges, hearing a song or reading a poem that touches your soul and shakes you up. Sure, someone else can be with you when these things occur, but they can't share the same beautiful life-defining feelings that only you can feel in that moment.

A person can read the same book, hear the same song, but they can never feel exactly what you are feeling. Its a sad, yet beautiful fact of life.

Very rarely, two individuals can share this. It is a connection so deep, it only happens a handful of times in a life. When it does, it is love. Pure, magnificent, other worldly, ethereal, inexplicable love. Some of us spend our entire lives searching and waiting for this.

This is what soulmates share. Twin flames, true loves, whatever you want to call it.

I believe this connection is what love is, and maybe even the purpose of life. What is true love to you?

Ross MwcFan

Looks like my life will be wasted if love is the whole purpose of being here.

I've got no idea what true love is.

Feelin Frisky

Welcome. I share similar values. I don't however ponder on what true love is because it doesn't matter what I think of it. I hope for happy experience and the chance to share who I am but it is not really useful to dwell on ideals that involve another person. Like you said, we are alone. And we first have to learn to be happy with who we are in those moments.

• 3 weeks later...
HeartShineGirl
The absolute best most significant moments in life are the ones you experience alone. Reading a life changing book, having and epiphany, witnessing a miracle, overcoming challenges, hearing a song or reading a poem that touches your soul and shakes you up. Sure, someone else can be with you when these things occur, but they can't share the same beautiful life-defining feelings that only you can feel in that moment.

A person can read the same book, hear the same song, but they can never feel exactly what you are feeling. Its a sad, yet beautiful fact of life.

Very rarely, two individuals can share this. It is a connection so deep, it only happens a handful of times in a life. When it does, it is love. Pure, magnificent, other worldly, ethereal, inexplicable love. Some of us spend our entire lives searching and waiting for this.

This is what soulmates share. Twin flames, true loves, whatever you want to call it.

I believe this connection is what love is, and maybe even the purpose of life. What is true love to you?

In every relationship that I was in, I always had this empty "alone" feeling. It didn't matter who I was with. I would go to my room a lot of the time, sit on my bed and write poetry- the theme was always "I feel so alone". I never felt that "connection" with any of them, and I truly believed I would one day but I just didn't know what to expect.

I used to dream of an island, where I was standing in a white dress on the shoreline, the wind blowing my hair and I was waiting for the love of my life to come to me. He would be standing too on that same shore, facing me. I could see his body but not his face. I was so in love with him. He would speak to me, and tell me it wouldn't be much longer, to not give up hope. I had that dream so many times. I was always looking for signs.

Years and years passed and I gave up looking and one day I was in a laundromat doing my laundry and on the wall of the laundromat was a mural of an island, water, waves... palm trees...

Also the tanning salon I went to also ironically but not strangely had the same kind of islands painted on the walls... tropical.

I didn't think much of it.

I heard a jingle jingle sound and I felt comforted while folding clothing. I always sounded like bells and jingles myself, ever since I was a little girl I always loved bells. I had anklets or bracelets or earrings and keys with bells on them, and here came this jingle sound.

And, a voice, a voice that penetrated me and I looked up to find a man from the islands standing before me. Pacific Islander. I didn't think much of it and we began talking.

I always imagined my life was a puzzle and there was a piece missing, and I waited for signs to fill that spot.

When we began talking, becoming friends and getting very close he admitted to having a dream about an island and a girl on it in his dreams, a girl who he could not see her face, all he knew was she was white with blonde hair (like me), he then told me about "his missing puzzle piece" and feeling like a teenager in love "teenage dream" and on the radio later that day I heard for the first time a song about "teenage dream & missing puzzle piece" I took it as a sign.

When I first met him, my initial shock was that he was so much like me. When he spoke to me, he was like me, talking to myself. I could just know what he was going to say and do. I was a bit spooked at first. He even jingled like me as I mentioned, and laughed in a similar way. We were so very different and yet... he was absolutely transparent, everything about him was "WOAH- That's me!" and as we shared stories I saw that the things he was going through and doing I had just completed going through and doing.

The only problem - he's married. No surprise- many people get married, and later on fall in love again with someone else.

But....

I do believe that we are like yin and yang... it feels... like you said.... exactly like you said...

I'm with who I now believe is my soul mate. Also we have a lot of deja vu. All of the time. Continuously. It's crazy.

TaraMaiden

The purpose of Life is to understand the origin of our suffering, and the cessation of suffering.

Clinging and grasping to transitory concepts is never indefinitely satisfying, and as such, causes suffering.

Clinging and grasping the concept of needing a SO in our lives, to fulfil us and bring us love - is an illusory concept.

being with someone you love, and realising, accepting and embracing the fact that this is precious, temporary, transitory and fleeting - is to know and recognise suffering, and to release it, so that it cannot bind us.

To love, is to be able to disengage joyfully.

THIS - is the true purpose of Life.

Disillusioned

Oh, now someone is going to get didactic and lecture me on the definition of love? They're preaching to the choir.

If you're sick of stereotypes, stop acting them out. Stop preaching to me about how everyone needs love, while withholding it from me. Walk the walk.

Love... what a scam.

:)

Yeah, feeling that.. :D

Being at one with nature figures really highly for me too.

I have come to see love as a force beyond myself and within myself, not a possession as such.

Take care,

Eve x

Ross MwcFan

We are part of the Universe, so I think maybe the purpose of life, is for the Universe to figure out itself.

HeartShineGirl
We are part of the Universe, so I think maybe the purpose of life, is for the Universe to figure out itself.

Philosopher Ross thank you for that mind-boggling thought. I had to read it a few times to imagine it. :love:

I wonder if the universe would mind if I asked it to tell me the secrets of life. I'm sure by now it has some clue.

• 2 weeks later...
pureinheart

Love is "talk" in action. Love can be defined in what it isn't:

Love is not selfish, and does not seek it's own

Love is not arrogant, or hypocritical

Love is not unbecoming, or rude

Love is not controlling, or condescending

shadowofman

I'd say that the purpose of life, or rather, life is the universe's attempt to avoid entropy. And this mechanism is organised into networks. Organisms, ecosystems, societies. Coming together is the best defense against drifting apart. No single connection (like that between one man and one woman), is sufficient to prevent decay and entropy.

• 1 month later...

Different people had a different view regarding the life, according to me love is a pert of life not the purpose of life, every person have some one in their life which means a lot for them, they are the special person or there love, but the purpose of life is to get success, settle career and many other things, it is not only to gain love.

• 2 weeks later...
Philosopher Ross thank you for that mind-boggling thought. I had to read it a few times to imagine it. :love:

I wonder if the universe would mind if I asked it to tell me the secrets of life. I'm sure by now it has some clue.

The Universe replies in two ways:

Point one: you create your own destiny. I just exist for you to have some place to fulfil it.

Point two: See point one.

Love is a fraud.

What women call love, is actually schadenfreude.

Spoken like a true Romantic.

Remind me to leave you a tip when you pour me my Champagne, and don't slam the door on the way out, sweetie.

be dignified.....;)

learnpfenosym

very nice - thanks :)

<a href=http://willieandthehandjive.com/beauty/a-whole-new-kind-of-environmentally-friendly-hotels-green-offered-his-credentials-inside-the-european-capitals.html>best hotels in israel</a> | <a href=http://uhmwow.com/travel-leisure/the-online-world-and-the-foreseeable-future-of-travel-agencies/>hotels in israel haifa</a> | <a href=http://dobry.infonius.com/2011/07/27/a-luxurious-holiday-retreat-for-virtually-any-time/>cheap hotels in israel</a>

love *is* the purpose of life, but in the sense that we've got to be bearers of it, not merely satisfy our needs of receiving it. Sharing that love is like giving away fists full of honey ... inevitably, there's always something left when you share it.

as for true love, I don't think of it in a romantic sense, because that's too subjective. I think it's being able to see someone for who they are, and still love them anyway because they're dear to you. And that can be a romantic partner, a family member, a friend ...