I am ashamed of some American Christians. :(

Hello,

I am an American Christian.

Last night I watched CNN's "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" and it devastated me how some American Christians are intolerant of Muslims and hateful against Muslims.

American Christians are to appreciate the freedom of religion. As an American Christian, I am thankful that here in the USA, I have freedom to believe what I believe is true. I am also thankful that other people have the freedom to believe what they believe is true or not true.

I do not understand how some Christians think it is ok to disrespect and not tolerate Muslims.

Jesus commands his followers to love our enemies, pray for them, and do good to them. American Muslims are not our enemies; they are our fellow citizens!!! However, if that is what we are supposed to do to our enemies, then how much more should we love, pray for, and do good to our fellow citizens!!!

(Also, are we Christians doing this for our "enemies" in Afghanistan and Iraq? If not, then as we pray for our soldiers, Christians should also pray for our "enemies" and should do our best to help them in any humanitarian way possible, including not killing them!)

I think some Christians have forgotten history where Christians have been persecuted by other "Christians" for differences in beliefs (Catholics and Protestants alike have persecuted each other) , and "Christians" have tragically persecuted Muslims and Jewish people and Native Americans and African people and people of many different ethnicities/beliefs in the past, killing them and forcing them to convert or bribing them to convert, which is evil and which is totally against the teachings of Jesus.

Anyways, as I'm writing about this, I have to admit I'm a chicken in that I'm scared about writing about this to people who are Christians who sincerely believe it's ok to not respect Muslims and their freedom of religion here in the USA.

There are American Christians who do understand and who do respect and support Muslims and their freedom of religion, but sadly there are too many who do not understand and respect.

What can be done to help other Christians understand and follow Jesus' teachings and respect others' beliefs? It makes me so sad that there are many Christians who are so hateful of other people. That is not what Jesus taught at all! Jesus specifically teaches to love and to do good to others.

Edited by elaina

American Christians are to appreciate the freedom of religion

Honestly, I haven't run across too many religions that are tolerant of other religions.

• Author
Honestly, I haven't run across too many religions that are tolerant of other religions.

Well, you have a point there.

I have friends who are Atheists who I completely understand, cause it seems like they just watch a ping-pong game between believers in God who condemn each other to hell for not believing the "Truth."

However, as a Christian, to me it is important to follow Jesus' teachings, and Jesus teaches love and kindness and goodness and helping others and forgiving others. I do feel that how some Christians in the USA treat Muslims is not kind or loving or good or helpful.

• Author
I think the bad muslims have probably given all muslims a bad name.

There are "bad" apples in every group, including Christians, Atheists, Agnostics, Buddhists, Hindus... and there are exceptionally admirable "apples" in every group too.

TheLoneSock

I agree with you that we should be accepting. I saw a story on Fox news about a month ago about a church in Tennessee that has opened its doors to Muslims seeking a place to pray, and has even gone out of their way to allow a new place of prayer to be built across the street. This is what we need more of.

Please remember though, in MANY, if not MOST countries where Islam reigns, Christianity is not at all welcomed. In some countries it is even banned and punishable by death to preach it. The Arab world for the most part is not accepting of it either - so it is a two way street. I reiterate what D Lish said.

MistaDynamic

Please remember though, in MANY, if not MOST countries where Islam reigns, Christianity is not at all welcomed. In some countries it is even banned and punishable by death to preach it. The Arab world for the most part is not accepting of it either - so it is a two way street. I reiterate what D Lish said.

Do you even know what christians have done in most muslim countries? Chirstinas was always welcome in muslim countries until the 18th century and especially 20th century when europeans and American christians ignorant of muslim culture start their conversion drive with smug arrogrant attitude. One first things they did was to insult the mohammed and islam thereby insulting one's ancestors. You don't make friends by insulting them.

Secondly thing they did was was teach Allah does not exist and instead people should worship Jesus as God's son. Which makes absoulutely no sense in Arabic or muslim culture. God in arabic (in non arab muslim countries as well) is Allah. If Allah does not exist how does he have a son? Even the most uneducated person could see the stupidity of that claim.

Many Christians refuse to understand Muslim societies are based upon certain concepts that are not up for debate. They are believed,upeld and endorsed by society as a whole. If you insult those concepts then you have just insulted a whole society as well as everybody,living or dead. In effect you have just implied that you as muslim and all your ancestors who helped build your society are somehow deficient.

No person wants to feel humiliated and especially by someone who thought was friendly guest in their home.

Even now look what American Christians do. Books such as "how to sneak into a muslim country" and their stelath crusade. Building Jesus "mosques". Secretly building churches to convert muslims to Christianity without muslim knowing they are attending a church.

The fact of the matter is most Muslims are not ignorant of Christianity unlike most Christians. As whole Muslim around the world have rejected Christianity and the Evangelicals just don't seem have gotten the message.

Even in non Muslim countries Evangelicals have been insulted local customs such the buying of converts in south east asia and going house to house on interrogating people on their religious beliefs.

What is happening now is a direct result of what happened in last 200 centuries of Christian proselytizing in Muslim countries.

Meh, religion is almost always secondary to politics, but once it enters the realm of the political, it becomes an incendiary force like no other.

Ever since 9/11, a lot of idiots here are convinced that the Islamic world wants to conquer the Christian world. While there are some zealots who would certainly entertain the thought of that, the vast majority of Muslims probably couldn't give a fart what happens beyond their bedroom, their dinner table, and their workplace -- just like most of us. Religion is used to inspire others when they feel like they've been abused and don't have sh*t else to hold onto.

threebyfate

Islam is the #1 fastest growing religion in the world and overall, it's second behind Christianity.

Within the U.S., African Americans comprise 24% of the Muslim population of which most were converted in the last 70 years. This doesn't help racial divides and tensions one bit.

I don't blame anyone for being nervous about the Islamic religion. It's expansionist and proud to proclaim it.

skydiveaddict
Do you even know what christians have done in most muslim countries? Chirstinas was always welcome in muslim countries until the 18th century and especially 20th century when europeans and American christians ignorant of muslim culture start their conversion drive with smug arrogrant attitude. One first things they did was to insult the mohammed and islam thereby insulting one's ancestors. You don't make friends by insulting them.

Secondly thing they did was was teach Allah does not exist and instead people should worship Jesus as God's son. Which makes absoulutely no sense in Arabic or muslim culture. God in arabic (in non arab muslim countries as well) is Allah. If Allah does not exist how does he have a son? Even the most uneducated person could see the stupidity of that claim.

Many Christians refuse to understand Muslim societies are based upon certain concepts that are not up for debate. They are believed,upeld and endorsed by society as a whole. If you insult those concepts then you have just insulted a whole society as well as everybody,living or dead. In effect you have just implied that you as muslim and all your ancestors who helped build your society are somehow deficient.

No person wants to feel humiliated and especially by someone who thought was friendly guest in their home.

Even now look what American Christians do. Books such as "how to sneak into a muslim country" and their stelath crusade. Building Jesus "mosques". Secretly building churches to convert muslims to Christianity without muslim knowing they are attending a church.

The fact of the matter is most Muslims are not ignorant of Christianity unlike most Christians. As whole Muslim around the world have rejected Christianity and the Evangelicals just don't seem have gotten the message.

Even in non Muslim countries Evangelicals have been insulted local customs such the buying of converts in south east asia and going house to house on interrogating people on their religious beliefs.

What is happening now is a direct result of what happened in last 200 centuries of Christian proselytizing in Muslim countries.

You have NO idea what you are talking about. Have you ever been to a Muslim country?

Edited by skydiveaddict
Disillusioned

Shame on American Christian holy rollers! They don't realize that Muslims are also a people of the Old Testament. If they did, they wouldn't have this paranoid belief that Allah and God are 2 different beings.

TheLoneSock

*facepalm* Are you kidding me? Pish posh, get out of here with your BS.

Learn something about the real world before you come soaring in with this kind of garbage.

Christians aren't running around all over the world using C4 as necklaces. Christians don't fly planes into buildings in Arab countries. Christians weren't running the Ottoman or the Arab empires either, if you need to inject past history into your argument for fluff.

Islam is based on aggressive expansionism. INFIDELS are to be converted or killed. No where in the bible do I read that non Christians must be slain for their non belief.

Please get a clue, before you make an ass of yourself. Oops...

skydiveaddict
Shame on American Christian holy rollers! They don't realize that Muslims are also a people of the Old Testament. If they did, they wouldn't have this paranoid belief that Allah and God are 2 different beings.

"Allah" is simply the Arabic word for "God." You will find many Mideastern Christians who refer to God the Father as Allah, as well as in this country. Most "American Christian holy rollers" are aware of this fact also. But I'm not surprised that you are not.

Edited by skydiveaddict

<-----Passes The Lone Sock a CLUE!

Seriously open your mind to some of the facts that were stated. Mista actually made three factual statements: Modern Bible Thumpers are casting their "beliefs" into these countries. Fact: Allah is the word for God. Fact: Christianity does for the most part disregard other religions , particularly the secular division of Southern Baptist here in the US.

To the OP- I get where you are coming from and in a perfect world its a great way to practice from a set of teachings. Its true that the bad overshadows the goodness that does happen in the average christian churches. I do chuckle when we segregate ourselves and label our selves as American Christian, the underlying tone is to surmise that a german christian is any different. To me an apple is an apple no matter where it is planted.....

Duckduckgoose

I go to a Southern Baptist Church and I am disappointed by a lot of things with them. They speak poorly of other branches of Christianity... namely Catholics or the more "works based" Christians. They even talk bad about other Southern Baptist Churches!

When I mentioned that I thought all Christians were going to heaven I got some pretty evil looks. They are convinced that their interpretation of the Bible is right and others are wrong, or taken "out of context".

A lot of the people in my church are staunch conservatives. Oddly enough, I was reading a random chapter in the Bible last night... Proverbs 22. It deals some with the rich and the poor. Saying stuff like don't oppress the poor, yet a lot of what conservatives believe is make the rich richer and the poor poorer...

It makes me sad. I would be considered a very liberal Christian. I also agree that Muslims should be free to worship in this country. Yes, if there were Christians in Muslim countries they would be persecuted and probably killed. But isn't that what is supposed to set Christianity apart, isn't that what is supposed to set the USA apart? Tolerance and Diversity?

• Author
I saw a story on Fox news about a month ago about a church in Tennessee that has opened its doors to Muslims seeking a place to pray, and has even gone out of their way to allow a new place of prayer to be built across the street. This is what we need more of.

Agreed, and Christians should also support Muslims who are wanting to build Islamic centers, because we should be grateful for freedom of religion, and should most definitely support other peoples' freedom of religion.

Please remember though, in MANY, if not MOST countries where Islam reigns, Christianity is not at all welcomed. In some countries it is even banned and punishable by death to preach it.

That is true, but the USA thankfully has separation of church (or Muslim masjid or Hindu temple or Jewish synagogue or...) and state.

The Arab world for the most part is not accepting of it either - so it is a two way street. I reiterate what D Lish said.

Well, it is true that some Muslims consider apostasy from their belief to be worthy of death. Sadly, Christians in the past have killed "apostates" or "heretics", but hopefully most Christians nowadays do not kill anyone who decides they no longer believe Christian beliefs.

Well, it is true that some Muslims consider apostasy from their belief to be worthy of death. Sadly, Christians in the past have killed apostates or heretics, but hopefully most Christians nowadays do not kill anyone who decides they no longer believe Christian beliefs.

Pop quiz name any incident were an American Christian, since we are ashamed of American Christians, who has killed someone who was baptised or once claimed to have been a Christian for apostacy. For Muslims well Afganistan and the Pure Land, Pakistan should provide examples

For what its worth so called Holy Rollers are not fundamentalist. Some may be, but the term refers to Pentecostals and Charismatic Christians who believe that the Holy Spirit hit them so hard that it made them fall on the floor. And once on the floor they roll around until they regain their senses enough to get up.

• Author
Do you even know what christians have done in most muslim countries? Chirstinas was always welcome in muslim countries

Christian scholars in the past learned a lot from the Muslim scholars, including mathematical studies. There used to be lively and intellectual discussions between the two groups, yes?

until the 18th century and especially 20th century when europeans and American christians ignorant of muslim culture start their conversion drive with smug arrogrant attitude. One first things they did was to insult the mohammed and islam thereby insulting one's ancestors. You don't make friends by insulting them.
That is so true and is so sad that Christians have insulted Muhammad and Islam. :( There is no reason to do so, and it's against Jesus' teachings. Jesus never taught his followers to insult other peoples' beliefs. Rather, he taught his followers to love and do good and help people.

I think the Christians who teach Allah doesn't exist believe that Allah is a false god. not the One and Only God. There are Arabic Christians however who call God "Allah", cause Allah is Arabic for God, right?

Yes that is bad and not right to do at all. :(

I have Muslim friends who actually did not understand Christian beliefs until we talked more, same as I did not understand Muslim beliefs until they explained them to me. The fact is that sad to say, both groups try to demonize the others' belief and are taught lies about what the other believes.

For example, one lie that some Muslims think is that Christians have 3 gods, and that is not true at all. Christians believe God is Triune, but that doesn't mean three gods, but rather 3 roles/aspects/"persons" that the One and Only God has. Another lie that some Muslims think is that Jewish Orthodox people and Christians advocate sexual immorality because in the Torah and Tanakh and in the Bible, there are historic accounts of the Jewish Patriarchs sinning (but God forgiving them)... like in the case of King David and Bathsheba. However, Jewish Orthodox beliefs and Christian beliefs do not advocate sin. Rather, we learn from the past and understand how important it is to obey God.

Some lies I had believed until my Muslim friends explained them to me about Islam is the beliefs that Muhammad is a you know what and that Muslim men oppress and beat Muslim women and force them to wear veils. However, once I talked about this and observed the lives of my Muslim friends, I realized that neither presumptions are correct. Long time ago, it was a cultural and normal practice for girls to marry young. Also, even though sadly there are cases of abuse in EVERY belief group, most Muslim men do NOT oppress Muslim women. Most Muslim women who wear a head covering do so because they want to please God and believe that's what God wants them to do, which is very admirable!!! :)

Missionaries do tend to help people, giving them money/food/medical care/ways to earn a living. Whether that's "buying of converts" or not, I do think it's important to just help people just to help them, not so they will "convert." Mother Theresa, for example, did not try to convert the people she helped. Rather, she helped for God's glory, which is wonderful!!! :)

Explain please?

Thanks.

Edited by elaina
TheLoneSock

Wow, thank you for your enlightenment. You are so smart.

Modern Bible Thumpers are casting their "beliefs" into these countries.

Ok, what's your point here? Muslims are casting their "beliefs" into most parts of the world too, except they are doing it violently in places where they can get away with it. There is a difference between expansionism and violent/aggressive expansionism. You need more clues darling...

Fact: Allah is the word for God.

Cool story. I didn't refute that statement, so again I'm not sure what your point is. Do you even have one or are you just making a stand for the sake of making a stand?

Fact: Christianity does for the most part disregard other religions, particularly the secular division of Southern Baptist here in the US.

Islam in general (not just some sects) does the same. It would not be true to itself if it didn't. That's like saying "My way is the right way, but those other guys are kind of right too..." No one does that. Get real.

Oh and can you please get off the southern Baptist crap? Stop pretending that Christianity in the US can be defined by that - you're reaching hard for examples because you know they are exceedingly rare. And you know what is sad? Even the most hardcore sects in the Christian faith don't go around killing others in the name of God. That's an Islam thing.

So please, get yourself a REAL clue before you try handing them out like they are trading cards.

Edit: Perfect example here. Some idiot pastor in the south burns the Quran. A mob in Afghanistan responds by KILLING a group of people they don't even know in their rage.

This example DEFINES the problem we have today.

Edited by TheLoneSock
  • Author

To the OP- I get where you are coming from and in a perfect world its a great way to practice from a set of teachings. Its true that the bad overshadows the goodness that does happen in the average christian churches...

Thanks for understanding. :)

I do chuckle when we segregate ourselves and label our selves as American Christian, the underlying tone is to surmise that a german christian is any different. To me an apple is an apple no matter where it is planted...

I didn't mean that Christians who live in other countries are different... I was just addressing an issue that Christians in America (or in specific, the USA and even more specific in the state of Tennessee... though I'm not a resident of that state, but still, I am an American and I'm a Christian, so that's why I put "American Christian.")

I have no idea if Christians in Germany (German Christians) are having an issue tolerating other religions right now, but yeah that's how I see this: that Christians (in any country with freedom of religion) should be grateful we have freedom of religion and should tolerate and respect other peoples' freedom of religion too.

LoneSock- As I gifted to you a clue, its important to open (your mind) and grasp that the other poster was NOT entirely Incorrect in their post as you proclaimed.. Points need to be extracted and utilized. Either you get it or you don't. And clearly you cant get the points that were made. You are welcome to your opinion but only a few things even you said are factual. Just out of curiosity where did you tie up your horse you rode in on?

Elaina- you are right, its shameful no matter what the faith if they cannot have at the least a tolerance for differences, as seen so clearly here by some folks comments.

Edited by Tayla
TheLoneSock
LoneSock- As I gifted to you a clue, its important to open (your mind) and grasp that the other poster was NOT entirely Incorrect in their post as you proclaimed.. Points need to be extracted and utilized. Either you get it or you don't. And clearly you cant get the points that were made. You are welcome to your opinion but only a few things even you said are factual. Just out of curiosity where did you tie up your horse you rode in on?

Is there even a point to this post or are you just trying to squirm yourself out of the discussion by being vague and aloof? You won't even point out the other poster you're talking about by name. You're either lazy or you're checked out of the discussion because you have nothing else to say. You are a waste of time with nothing essential to debate, you only debate the semantics of the debate. Maybe you should gift yourself a clue about being relevant.

In fact don't even bother responding to this. :)

• 1 month later...
Hello,

I am an American Christian.

Last night I watched CNN's "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" and it devastated me how some American Christians are intolerant of Muslims and hateful against Muslims.

American Christians are to appreciate the freedom of religion. As an American Christian, I am thankful that here in the USA, I have freedom to believe what I believe is true. I am also thankful that other people have the freedom to believe what they believe is true or not true.

I do not understand how some Christians think it is ok to disrespect and not tolerate Muslims.

Jesus commands his followers to love our enemies, pray for them, and do good to them. American Muslims are not our enemies; they are our fellow citizens!!! However, if that is what we are supposed to do to our enemies, then how much more should we love, pray for, and do good to our fellow citizens!!!

(Also, are we Christians doing this for our "enemies" in Afghanistan and Iraq? If not, then as we pray for our soldiers, Christians should also pray for our "enemies" and should do our best to help them in any humanitarian way possible, including not killing them!)

I think some Christians have forgotten history where Christians have been persecuted by other "Christians" for differences in beliefs (Catholics and Protestants alike have persecuted each other) , and "Christians" have tragically persecuted Muslims and Jewish people and Native Americans and African people and people of many different ethnicities/beliefs in the past, killing them and forcing them to convert or bribing them to convert, which is evil and which is totally against the teachings of Jesus.

Anyways, as I'm writing about this, I have to admit I'm a chicken in that I'm scared about writing about this to people who are Christians who sincerely believe it's ok to not respect Muslims and their freedom of religion here in the USA.

There are American Christians who do understand and who do respect and support Muslims and their freedom of religion, but sadly there are too many who do not understand and respect.

What can be done to help other Christians understand and follow Jesus' teachings and respect others' beliefs? It makes me so sad that there are many Christians who are so hateful of other people. That is not what Jesus taught at all! Jesus specifically teaches to love and to do good to others.

I agree and it is not nice !! I do not consider myself an specific religion but do consider myself a spiritualist. I have several good muslim friends and surprised when they Thank me for being so understanding for the littlest things.

I think it is mostly just an American thing. No matter what religion they are.

American's are so egocentric and just want everyone to be just like them.

I don't understand why any of the major religions fight anyway.

Most major religions are very similar:

Most believe in one God

Most believe in doing good things in this life to advance towards some other dimension or life.

Most believe in the idea of good family and friend and preforming kind deeds.

Most believe that certain things are wrong rape, incest and murder !!

I just don't get why people can't just accept each others differences and learn from them.

I know i do and have such a wide variety of friends would love to get them all together for a round table !!

God bless !!

I have read the entire post and I have enjoyed the different perspectives of all who posted.

I have a question.....How did humanity originate?

Christians say what

and

Muslim say what.....................???