Prayer in the workplace

HokeyReligions

I just got this email.

September 11, 2001 -- most of us were going about our daily business routine, like any other day. We all shared in the shock and sorrow as the news flowed in over our computers and phone lines. In the months that followed, our sense of community and family flourished with [company name/employees] standing united in prayer and supporting the New York Fire Fighters. The realization that every day is gift and not to be taken for granted was etched into our minds.

To commemorate those who lost their lives on September 11th and to support our overseas troops, on Thursday, September 11th, at 9:00 a.m., we will stand together as the [company name] family in prayer.

John Doe will lead us in prayer at 9:00 a.m. over the intercom at [building names]

Unfortunately, we are not able to reach the [more building names] buildings through our present intercom system. If you are in one of these buildings, you are welcome to come to one of the locations above to join us. Otherwise please take a moment of silence at 9:00 a.m.

I work for a fairly large engineering firm. It is not a public company. There are people of every ethnic and religious background who work here. There are often clients in the buildings - including public officials.

Hmm... Every company I've ever worked for prior to this would run screaming into their attorney's office if they saw an email like this - sent to everyone in the company, including contract employees - nearly 2000 people.

Do any of you work for companies/employers who practice a religion as part of the workday?

I work for the church, so prayer in the workplace is encouraged! :)

It's something that I have come to appreciate, especially when the world falls apart around me, be it my own little world involving family and close friends, or the world at large. Interestingly enough, this was supposed to be a temporary layover while I was between jobs working for secular newspapers. So, though I wouldn't wish getting fired on anyone, I'll be the first to say that sometimes, things work out much, much better than you could ever imagine.