Prayers and Politics - a story

HokeyReligions

Thought you might enjoy this interesting prayer given in Kansas at the opening session of their Senate.

<removed text>

reminds me of a comment my editor made the other day: he pointed out that in larger arenas, there is such a hullaballoo about separation of church and state, and how people allow themselves to become divided over such issues ... and meanwhile, back in the small towns, people still bow their heads at football games and pep rallies as someone calls out for God's protection, and no one -- believer or non-believer makes a fuss of the tradition.

what's your take on the Alabama Supreme Court judge who still refuses to remove a statue of the 10 Commandments from the court building? The guy has cajones, I tell you.

And I find it ironic that his brother justices who have voted to override his actions were all sworn in on a Bible, just like Judge Cajones, and have agreed to uphold the laws of the land which ... ta-da ... have basis in those very same commandments!

• Author
HokeyReligions

Well, the way I feel about it that the statue should stay. It is a lovely piece of art and expresses laws that we live by. It's not telling anyone to kneel & pray at it's base! People can ignore it if they want - its not hurting anyone.

I've often thought about the "swearing in" throughout our government and legal system!

....................................................Paul Harvey...............................................................Good Day!

The text posted by HokeyReligions has been circulating as an e-mail forward for at least four years. The text quoted above was inaccurately transcribed and was copied from the e-mail verbatim.

It was read at the opening of the Kansas State House of Representatives, not the Senate, on January 23, 1996.

Full details can be found at http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/wright.htm, including an audio reading.