encouragement

if you’re reading this, chances are that you – or someone you care for – is facing the most difficult trial of your life thusfar. And I just want to reassure you that things will work out.

maybe not the way you’d hoped, or the way you wanted, but they work out just right in the end.

did you know that I was once a newspaper reporter? The last paper I worked for was here, in the city where I live, and I held that job for a year before getting fired for a really stupid oversight that had the potential to hurt the company.

I was hurt that my bosses didn’t stand behind me the way they did another reporter who’d made a similar mistake several years before that; I was upset that fired me “wrongfully;” and I was really, really pissed off at the editor who actually gave me my marching orders because he refused to even look at me as he fired me.

thankfully, the girl who was my assignments editor had a lead for me: The guy who was the father of her godsister ran the local Catholic newspaper and he was looking for a writer. Apply for the job and build up a good portfolio while you’re looking at other dailies, she advised.

I moped for about a week, then decided what the heck – it would just be a temporary job, like Donna suggested.

*smile* 15 years later, I’m still with that outfit. Pulling down a salary that’s significantly less than what I’d make with a secular outfit, but never happier in my life.

see, there was a greater plan in motion than the desires or needs that I had perceived – this job ... scratch that, it’s not a job, but a ministry ... is where I am meant to be. It has allowed me the kind of freedom I never would have had otherwise: Because it is very much a family-oriented outfit, I was able to care for my parents when each of them was dying, with the full support of my editor and my bishop. Because it is spiritually-oriented, I been blessed with people in my life who help me grow in ways that matter to me.

I now know getting fired from the newspaper downtown was the best thing that ever happened to me, because I’ve gained something I never would have gotten elsewhere.

I guess I just want to tell you that it’s okay to cry, to scream, to holler if you need to, if the pain of your hurt is so bad that you can’t take it. And once those feelings are purged out of your system, realize hope has a bigger place to reside. There is a silver lining, though it’s something you have to find for yourself.

you will pull through and prosper, because that is part of the grand scheme ... what you’re going through now is just a detour on the larger journey. Just put your faith in that “something bigger” that is meant for you.

peace & hugs,

quank

you will pull through and prosper, because that is part of the grand scheme ... what you’re going through now is just a detour on the larger journey. Just put your faith in that “something bigger” that is meant for you.

Counting on it, I always do.

• Author

thanks for reading, guys. Sometimes we get so get caught up in the pain or hurt of an event that we fail to see that something positive can come out of it when we least expect.

How timely for all of us, myself included, as I face some career decisions. I realize that whatever decision I make will eventually lead to where I should be. Thank you for this :love:

if you’re reading this, chances are that you – or someone you care for – is facing the most difficult trial of your life thusfar. And I just want to reassure you that things will work out.

maybe not the way you’d hoped, or the way you wanted, but they work out just right in the end.

This seems to be a fatalistic point of view that says no matter how things work out, it is for the best. Sorry, but I disagree with you. I think that there are lots of events that turn out to be tragic and in no way for the best.

I do partially agree with you to the extent that when we are confronted by adversity, we should try to convert it into an opportunity for growth. But that's very different to saying that everything that happens is for the best.

• 3 weeks later...