The good old days

I just don't get it. Nowadays nobody cares about hurting anyone else anymore. Just look at some of the threads... adultery, sleeping around in general like it's no big deal (even with people who are already married), lying, not beliveing in God, drinking and driving, revenge, hurting other people and not caring, greed, lust, etc. and blaming everyone else... even the person they are hurting.

Why is it that less and less people have morals nowadays? No one cares anymore. No one takes responsibility for their own mistakes. It's always someone else's fault. I originally came to this sight looking for some advice (for an small issue, I believe) and then gave advice to other posters. As time goes on, I am noticing that less people really want advice. They just want you to agree and "candy-coat" everything and tell them what they want to hear. If you tell them they did something wrong and should take steps to fix it, you turn into a self-righteous, "holier-than-thou" religious fanatic in their eyes. All I can say is, "wow." Things are really changing... the world is turning into one scary place.

I read so many disgusting, immoral things on here... it's getting ridiculous. Is it just me, or is the world "going to hell in a handbasket"?

Let me guess: now people will get on here and argue about whether or not there is a hell instead of answering the real question... what happened to the good ol' days? Do you miss them?

Don't get too down.

There are alot of people who have values and that do take other people into consideration. There are some really great posters who have been out of the other side of a situation and can offer excellent viewpoints.

I agree there are some serious derailed trainwrecks on here and some very stubborn wrecked trains in denial of their derailment. They are simply not ready to hear some hard truths.

I may not be too religious, however, do try to take into account others. Also, real life is much different then alot of words on a screen.

Some days/posts are better then others.

....I think you have good ideas about things.

• Author

Anitayankee: Yeah, it's really depressing. Nothing is a big deal anymore... it's scary.

Underpants: I understand, and agree... it's just that SO MANY people really just don't care about common decency anymore.

melodymatters

Hey Jinnah,

I'm a liberal, agnostic NY'er and I couldn't agree with you more ! It cuts across all of society not just relationships, from employers, employees, neighbors, doctors, everyone is BEYOND self serving. I could give examples but that would just depress me more....

• Author
Hey Jinnah,

I'm a liberal, agnostic NY'er and I couldn't agree with you more ! It cuts across all of society not just relationships, from employers, employees, neighbors, doctors, everyone is BEYOND self serving. I could give examples but that would just depress me more....

I really can't help but get depressed about it. It really is getting gross. I'm afraid for society in general (and future generations). Even aside from religion, people in general used to have better basic values than they do now. Things have really changed from when I was a child, and I'm not even old... I'm still young!

Jinna

maybe we are in final days on earth, people become more corrupt in the end of world, the only non-frustrate thing is "looking at Lord, and focus on him"

I love old type gentlemen, masculine and gentle, and put Lord first, any man who love Lord is a best lover, yes, I miss old days

Citizen Erased

People have been sleeping around, cheating and drinking for a long time. The only difference between 20 years ago and now is that people are upfront about it.

Things are no different now than they were before, it's just now there are forums where people can post things anonymously.

In the past, when a young woman got pregnant they shipped her off to live with relatives until she had the baby, and then either gave it up for adoption or told the kid that his mom was really his sister. This actually happened to Bobby Darin, and it destroyed him.

Is it better for someone to stay in an abusive relationship than to leave? In the past, leaving was a very difficult option. Now, not so much.

Don't judge the real world by what you read on thees forums.

Another reason that it may seem like things are getting worse is people are less judmental now than they were, say, 40 years ago. Isn't that a good thing? Remember, judge ye not....?

I think the 'good old days' were the 'bad old days' I would NEVER ever go back 50 years ago... when women were stuck in a miserable marriage with 5-6 kids and no careers.

I don't envy them... like my mother and grand mothers... they had it tough... with cheaters, abusers, they couldn't go anywhere... with 5 or 12 children.

I just don't get it. Nowadays nobody cares about hurting anyone else anymore. Just look at some of the threads...

adultery - happened all the time in the old days. In the old, old days, it was limited to men cheating on their wives. Wives were property, and expected to bear children, preferably sons. The men cheated with maids, actresses, slaves... The men were quite open about it, too. Later, women cheated, too...bored housewives Looking for Mr. Goodbar in suburbia. The women kept it more quiet, though...they had read Fear of Flying and learned about "zipless f*cks" from Erica Jong, but they had also read about Hester Prynn and her Scarlet Letter A.

sleeping around in general like it's no big deal - Guess you missed the free love 1970's eh? :D People slept around before our current decade, too, but there was the whole pregnancy issue before the Pill. It's the pill that made it possible for a lot more people to have sex without worrying about pregnancies. Well, and then there was the whole stigma of not being a virgin when a woman got married...(that only applied to women, of course...men could sleep around with the town sluts or prostitutes). Shall we go back to the time when the wedding night sheets were displayed to show the virginal blood?

lying - well, that's not new. Didn't the serpent lie to Eve? Didn't Cain lie to God after killing his brother when God asked where Abel was..."I don't know; I'm not my brother's keeper."?

not beliveing in God - hmm, I fail to see how a person's atheism hurts other people

drinking and driving - people have been doing that for ages, except we didn't even used to have drunk driving laws. Used to be you could drink and drive and you wouldn't get arrested for it

revenge - ah, well, again, history is full of revenge. And, of course, isn't it the law of Moses...an eye for an eye, right?

hurting other people and not caring, greed, lust, etc. - again, just read the Bible even if you won't read any history books. We were quite an uncivilized world, still are, but always were. Why do we have the 7 deadly sins and some of the 10 Commandments - because people were always cruel to each other, always greedy, always lusty and vengeful. You can look to the early 1900's in the US, if ancient history doesn't appeal - the robber barons, the snake oil salesman, the child labor, the atrocious and deadly working conditions...

Things are really changing... the world is turning into one scary place.
It has always been a scary place.
It has always been a scary place.

Great post NJ.

It has always been a scary place. But it sure is a lot of fun. :)

I can't think of a time when the world was not a scary place. Wars, brutal archaic religious morality (stonings, beheadings for trivial "offences"). Bugger that.

The only two things that are really changing is there are more of us through overpopulation, and we have far greater access to communications than ever before. We think there are way more natural or man-made disasters than ever before when in reality there are just a lot less slipping under the radar thanks to world news networks.

Cheers,

D.

You mean like about 50 years ago when god fearing christians were hanging black men from trees in the south?

Or 100 years ago when a woman did not have the right to vote?

That being said, I will totally agree that we are becoming more and more selfish and this selfish behavior causes a lot of our problems on personal as well as global levels.

Cheating, stealing, and causing other people pain mostly boil down to a selfish act.

It is ignorant and selfish to think that gas in the states cost too much and you have a "right" to put cheap gas in your car. I think the state of the world concerning oil and our environment is a good example as to the problems that come of this.

And just because someone does not believe in god does not make them an amoral being.

• Author

I agree, Lonleybird. The "hottest" men are good, strong men with morals... "masculine and gentle" as you said. That's a turn-on. lol:D

Yeah, Darlin coc, you are right, it's just that nowadays people don't think it's a big deal anymore... that's the scary part.

Moai, I agree that the scenario you described sucks. I do agree with leaving an abusive relationship, but I also agree leaving the person you are with before you cheat on them and people don't see that either. That should not be hidden. Affairs shouldn't be going on... leave the person first! Why screw with someone's mental well-being. If people did that, affairs wouldn't exist and no one would be able to blame other people.

Lol, :laugh: Lovelorcet, that's hilarious. I didn't mean that way. You got it on the mark when you said it all comes down to selfishness. I remember when I was growing up, people in general were taught to take other people's feelings into consideration, now it's like people could care less.

• Author
again, just read the Bible even if you won't read any history books.

I understand that horrible things used to go on all throughout history (duh:rolleyes:)... my point is that those things were considered "horrible things"... today people say it's no big deal and who cares.

How ridiculous to assume that I do not read history books... why did you assume that? Because I'm religious?... completely stereotypical.:rolleyes:

Like I said before, just because I am religious and have a high moral standards, does not make me an ignorant religious fanatic.:rolleyes: