He's Mormon and I'm Catholic

pixiegurliechick

I met a guy whom I have really strong feelings for. I don't know if he shares those same feelings for me yet, however.

There's a little issue, though. He's Mormon and I'm Catholic with no intentions of ever becoming Mormon. (I did my research, and there's no way I can ever believe what Mormons believe.)

Has anyone ever been in this situation before? Could this realistically work out, or am I just wasting my time and feelings?

That depends on how devout he is.

You must be married in the Temple if your marriage is to be valid in the afterlife (he can still reject you, but you can't reject him), and you cannot enter the Temple at all since you aren't a member of the Church.

Even as a Member, you must have a Temple Reccomend to be able to get into the Temple also. This entails following the instructions of your Bishop and the rules of the Church to the nth degree.

Has he been on his mission yet? If he has, every woman in his ward will be trying to catch him, and if not he'll be gone for two years and THEN every available Mormon woman willbe after him.

If there is no possible way you'd convert, I would look elsewhere and save yourself the grief.

Now, if he isn't devout then it isn't anything to worry about==unlesss you are totally devout ant then that is a problem, too.

• Author
pixiegurliechick

What are some good signs that he's a devout Mormon? I'd like to try to avoid asking simply because I hate discussing religious differences with people because it always starts a war.

What are some good signs that he's a devout Mormon? I'd like to try to avoid asking simply because I hate discussing religious differences with people because it always starts a war.

In general Mormonism is very evangelical. His having completed his missionary service is a good sign of being devout. And if your relationship moves to that point he will redouble his efforts to convert you.

The other question is how devout of a Catholic are you? Do you believe the Roman Catholic Church's teachings or just really disbelieve the Book of Mormon?

Generally your Church accepts most Protestants as Christians but don't recognize the Mormon's Baptism as such. For your Church to sanction the marriage the Priest will want the Mormon to say something like what us Protestants would call the sinner's prayer. And will get him to promise that any children will be raised Catholic. The first will be easy for him promising about the faith of the children might not be.

• Author
pixiegurliechick
In general Mormonism is very evangelical. His having completed his missionary service is a good sign of being devout. And if your relationship moves to that point he will redouble his efforts to convert you.

The other question is how devout of a Catholic are you? Do you believe the Roman Catholic Church's teachings or just really disbelieve the Book of Mormon?

Generally your Church accepts most Protestants as Christians but don't recognize the Mormon's Baptism as such. For your Church to sanction the marriage the Priest will want the Mormon to say something like what us Protestants would call the sinner's prayer. And will get him to promise that any children will be raised Catholic. The first will be easy for him promising about the faith of the children might not be.

I believe the Catholic Church's teachings, but I don't think it's necessarily the only right religion. It's how I was raised. Right now I'm more of what they refer to as a Christmas and Easter Catholic. I very much disbelieve the Book of Mormon.

He doesn't come off as someone who has done a Missionary and he goes out drinking and has somewhat of a sick mind at times.

I can always get married outside of a church, can't I?

I believe the Catholic Church's teachings, but I don't think it's necessarily the only right religion. It's how I was raised. Right now I'm more of what they refer to as a Christmas and Easter Catholic. I very much disbelieve the Book of Mormon.

He doesn't come off as someone who has done a Missionary and he goes out drinking and has somewhat of a sick mind at times.

I can always get married outside of a church, can't I?

Depending upon how liberal your Priest is you can get married in the Catholic Church. Just not during a Mass. The Mormon will be able to affirm his belief in Jesus Christ and you are able to say you will do your best to see to it that any children are Baptised and raised Catholic.

The local Priest or any Roman Catholic experts here will have to give you more information. Many Protestant denominations don't care what denomination you are they will even marry you to non-Christians. I'm staying out of the debate of if Mormons are Christian. So if a church is what you want that is doable.

Interfaith marriages are more about the two individuals than their religions. If either or both put their religion first then run for the hills because the differences will just drive a wedge in your relationship and it will be over before it began. If both are liberal and open-minded then it's a possibility. Caution is advised though.

Cheers,

D.

yeah...i'd have to say that in any relationship, there needs to be a closeness of religous/spiritual beliefs or AT LEAST respect for them.

however, i think, from what i know about Catholics and Mormons, it will be difficult for this to last....

love can cross soooo many boundries tho.

pinochleprincess
I'd like to try to avoid asking simply because I hate discussing religious differences with people because it always starts a war.

Points to consider:

1.) Your religion is obviously important

2.) You would naturally over the course of your life discuss things that are important to you with your spouse

3.) Discussing relgion with him starts a war

So you have two options IF you spend the rest of your life with him

a.) attempt to share your faith and witness....starts a war

b.) don't share your faith with the most important person in your life...not much fun

THEN consider if you have children....are you going to want your children to be raised mormon? Of course not....no more than he wants them to be raised Catholic.

Some could say, oh we'll teach both, let them decide. Sounds fun but based on each others belief systems you are pretty much jacking with their salvation. Not cool. If you are willing to do that, I wouldn't even have kids because you are putting your own selfish needs first at that point. Which is fine mind you...as long as you are sterile.

has somewhat of a sick mind at times

Gee.....this is just a match made in heaven.

Pun intended.

:DIf he's going out drinking, he's not living like a Mormon should. The LDS faith has a strong pull on people throughout their entire lives so he may not live like this forever. Nine times out of ten, Mormons return to their faith quite cheerfully.

I personally would seriously think about a relationship with someone from a different faith. I know from experience that if you truly love your faith, marriage outside of it causes nothing but problems.

He sounds unreliable to me anyway but you know him better than I do. Trust your instinct - which you're listening to already, by questioning the relationship.:bunny:

I met a guy whom I have really strong feelings for. I don't know if he shares those same feelings for me yet, however.

There's a little issue, though. He's Mormon and I'm Catholic with no intentions of ever becoming Mormon. (I did my research, and there's no way I can ever believe what Mormons believe.)

Has anyone ever been in this situation before? Could this realistically work out, or am I just wasting my time and feelings?