Some guy in Omaha, NE sued God

I saw this on the news thing on my cell phone. He is some older black guy agnostic, who wasn't happy about federal court stuff, and was just making a point that anybody could sue anybody.

He filed it for otherworldly threats of terrorism, famine, death and destruction and stuff, and it actually ended up on someone's desk.

That guy is sick for stickin it to the man.

Here's the article:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070921/suing_god_070921/20070921?hub=TopStories&s_name=

U.S. legislator gets response after suing God

Updated Fri. Sep. 21 2007 12:02 PM ET

The Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. -- A legislator who filed a lawsuit against God has gotten something he might not have expected: a response. One of two court filings from "God" came Wednesday under otherworldly circumstances, according to John Friend, clerk of the Douglas County District Court in Omaha.

"This one miraculously appeared on the counter. It just all of a sudden was here -- poof!" Friend said.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha sued God last week, seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty for making terroristic threats, inspiring fear and causing "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Chambers, a self-proclaimed agnostic who often criticizes Christians, said his filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit he considers frivolous. He said he's trying to make the point that anybody can sue anybody.

Not so, says "God." His response argues that the defendant is immune from some earthly laws and the court lacks jurisdiction.

It adds that blaming God for human oppression and suffering misses an important point.

"I created man and woman with free will and next to the promise of immortal life, free will is my greatest gift to you," according to the response, as read by Friend.

There was no contact information on the filing, although St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness, Friend said.

A second response from "God" disputing Chambers' allegations lists a phone number for a Corpus Christi law office. A message left for that office was not immediately returned Thursday.

Attempts to reach Chambers by phone and at his Capitol office Thursday were unsuccessful.

Well, that guy was created by god, so god did it to himself.
Whatever DG.....this statement just proves to me that you don't have a clue about the God/man relationship whatsoever.....:rolleyes:

I like the story about the professor that told his students God didn't exist....if He did then He should knock the professor off his platform.....after waiting a few minutes for God to knock him off, an ROTC student got up and knocked the professor out with one punch.

When the professor woke up, he asked what happened.....the student told the professor that God was busy, so He sent him to do it......:cool:

AP forgot to point out that Mr. State Senator was sworn into office however many years ago! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

it's cool to sue God? Please :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm curious how a man who publicly admits there *is* no God can actually file charges against a hallucination. Doesn't that that mean that (A) the guy really does believe in God or (B) he's off his rocker or © he's doing it for attention.

I vote C.

The only part that bothers me is the misuse of taxpayer dollars for mischief suits. The same holds true for people who sue fast food chains for extra-hot coffee. Who drinks coffee without testing the temperature first?

Whatever DG.....this statement just proves to me that you don't have a clue about the God/man relationship whatsoever.....:rolleyes:

I like the story about the professor that told his students God didn't exist....if He did then He should knock the professor off his platform.....after waiting a few minutes for God to knock him off, an ROTC student got up and knocked the professor out with one punch.

When the professor woke up, he asked what happened.....the student told the professor that God was busy, so He sent him to do it......:cool:

What a beautiful example of how religion is used to do wrong.

Let's just forget about the "don't do to others the things which you don't like being done to you" or "turn the other cheek".

The student is a liar (another commandment being broken here) for saying god was busy (omnipotent) and that He told him to do it.

Whaha what a sorry lot.

• Author

could we not turn this into a long drawn out thread invaded by yankees to argue if there is a higher power?

Thanks for response, but I wanted to bring something new in this forum besides all the feelings of resentment I have towards other forum members in this particular forum topic. Not saying I hate anyone in here, but man i get mad when I read these long threads in this forum section. I better stay out.........lol.

could we not turn this into a long drawn out thread invaded by yankees to argue if there is a higher power?
:mad: Yankee?? :mad:
What a beautiful example of how religion is used to do wrong.

Let's just forget about the "don't do to others the things which you don't like being done to you" or "turn the other cheek".

The student is a liar (another commandment being broken here) for saying god was busy (omnipotent) and that He told him to do it.

I only said I liked the story....didn't say it was right or wrong did I?

Thanks for response, but I wanted to bring something new in this forum besides all the feelings of resentment I have towards other forum members in this particular forum topic. Not saying I hate anyone in here, but man i get mad when I read these long threads in this forum section. I better stay out.........lol.

oh bless your heart. :lmao:

Because reacting to different beliefs with violence is what your religion is best at. Man, you guys are scraping the bottom of the barrel if that's the kind of mentality you rally around.

I thank my god every day that your god doesn't exist.

Cheers,

D.

Perhaps the case would get much further if the Devil was sued instead.

A class action suit by the entire human race based on original sin? ;)

Perhaps the case would get much further if the Devil was sued instead.

It would be seriously unethical for any lawyer to act in an action against the Devil. Conflict of interest, and all that.

burning 4 revenge
It would be seriously unethical for any lawyer to act in an action against the Devil. Conflict of interest, and all that.

yes, very good, yes

yes, very good, yes

Okay I know it was lame. Come to think of it - that's probably the kind of joke that gets made in heaven. "Ho ho ho. Conflict of interest. Very good lindya. Yes, very good, yes. Do have another glass of ambrosia and entertain us a little more before we get bored/angry with you and send you back down into limbo."

I like how this post kind of goes with my avatar. By the way - didn't the Israelites sue God at one stage in the Old Testament?