Not letting you grow up

About 2 years ago when I was 15 at the time, my church had 3 segregated groups in terms of language and age. One group was for the adults, the second group was for the older youths (15 and older), and the third was for the youths (mainly for pre-teens).

So, when I was early-15 I was still attending youth group (third group), and for some time I felt I didn't quite fit in with the group, it wasn't that I was shy or anti-social or anything, it was because I felt that I was too old for youth group and thought to myself that maybe this could be the best time to move up a group with the mature ones.

Quite suprisingly, some of the members from youth group were at my age, and the oldest was 16-17. I realised at that point that they haven't grown up in terms of personality. Before I moved group, I was the most mature member of the group, every time when group ends I always have adult conversations with some of the leaders. Unlike other members, their language were mainly childish.

I knew that I've grown up a lot more than the youths. So I moved to the mature groups.

Even until now, some of the grown-ups kept asking me to come to youth group, and, to be honest, I was disappointed to hear what they said. To me, what they said indicated that I was not a mature teenager through their eyes. It's been like 4-5 years since coming to the church and they still perceive me as a pre-mature person.

I felt frustrated getting the impression that they won't allow themselves accept the fact that I've matured, as mature as the ones from the second group.

They are yankees, and themselves immature for believing in a such a dumb way. Those other kids are being mislead too. It is bad psychology.

It is a good thing you don't go there anymore.

I'm 31 and still immature. I pride myself on it acutally. It's a guy thing.

Would you feel better about yourself if you didn't have to go back to the youth group, or would you feel better if you went back and helped the other kids. Just because others don't see you the way you see yourself doesn't make it so.

• Author

The only difference between youth group and EM is that youth group is mainly held in groups and discussions about certain topics and sources from the bible and express your opinions about it, it's a way of making learning more interesting, that way members would understand more from the bible through the learning process, and EM is just basically like any other church services but with a group of young adults.

I think the reason why the church has established these two types of groups was that some members may find learning about the bible dull and tedious, so therefore youth group was applied to establish a different approach in learning in a more discussable way.

Evidently, a member at my age (17) admitted that a normal church session was boring and it made him sleep and he preferred attending youth group instead.

It may not be that you are immature as maybe it is they like the conversations that you bring up, or maybe they miss the company of someone who is truly intrested.

And on a side note im just kinda wondering, what is a yankee? Do you guys mean someone from the north US, the sports team, or something else?

• Author
It may not be that you are immature as maybe it is they like the conversations that you bring up, or maybe they miss the company of someone who is truly intrested.

And on a side note im just kinda wondering, what is a yankee? Do you guys mean someone from the north US, the sports team, or something else?

It's not the issue of immaturity, it's the issue of how they (the grown-ups) perceived me as.

A member of the worship team even categorised me as the members of youth group. I could tell by her language when she mentioned youth group. I got so pissed that I felt that my reputation of being that 11 year old child will never change.

• 2 weeks later...
About 2 years ago when I was 15 at the time, my church had 3 segregated groups in terms of language and age. One group was for the adults, the second group was for the older youths (15 and older), and the third was for the youths (mainly for pre-teens).

So, when I was early-15 I was still attending youth group (third group), and for some time I felt I didn't quite fit in with the group, it wasn't that I was shy or anti-social or anything, it was because I felt that I was too old for youth group and thought to myself that maybe this could be the best time to move up a group with the mature ones.

Quite suprisingly, some of the members from youth group were at my age, and the oldest was 16-17. I realised at that point that they haven't grown up in terms of personality. Before I moved group, I was the most mature member of the group, every time when group ends I always have adult conversations with some of the leaders. Unlike other members, their language were mainly childish.

I knew that I've grown up a lot more than the youths. So I moved to the mature groups.

Even until now, some of the grown-ups kept asking me to come to youth group, and, to be honest, I was disappointed to hear what they said. To me, what they said indicated that I was not a mature teenager through their eyes. It's been like 4-5 years since coming to the church and they still perceive me as a pre-mature person.

I felt frustrated getting the impression that they won't allow themselves accept the fact that I've matured, as mature as the ones from the second group.

I get you. It's stupid that people don't change their perceptive of people after a few years.