Law Of Attraction

I've been reading up on the law of attraction and applying it into my own life lately. Basically, your thoughts create your reality. Like attracts like. Everyone and everything has an energy or vibration. So your thoughts and feelings supposedly give out some sort of vibrational frequency that matches up with another vibration bringing it into your life. Kind of sounds like bull**** to me, but i do believe that your thoughts are very powerful, to you at least. Subconsiously and consiously. Like when youre walking across a wooden board 20 ft up in the air, you would have trouble walking and ultimately fall due to your fear of heights and your thought of falling. But if you were to walk across a wooden board just some inches off the ground, you'd have no trouble at all. See what i mean? i dont know if thats a good enough analogy. But i'm a firm believer in that if you could just 'control' your mind, your thoughts, you could accomplish a lot.

And another thing. The law of attration states that you need to believe and allow some higher power to bring what you desire to you. And that power could be anything from god to the universe to your own subconsious mind. You think they could they all just be the same thing??

Whether it's true or not, it seems to be working for me. It could just be the fact that im forcing myself to believe that im happier therefore making me happy... but isnt that what the law of attration states anyways?

hm i actually like the idea....and for some reason it works...sort of...haha

I actually learned about it when i was in a low point (you know how life tends to be up and downs and all arounds!), so i did all i could to make myself happy and look for things to be thankful for. That alone help me get out of that funk i was, realized i am very blessed and made the problem that had me down look very insignificant compared to what i had to give thanks for.

it might be selective perception...but after that things seemed to go smoothly, i was very happy and content with my life.

Since then ive gotten a lot of the things i wanted...i dont know if because of the "law" or because i got myself so psyched about life itself that got me moving and getting things myself...

Worth the try though ;)

I think it's a complete load of rubbish, personally. Yes, the power of the mind is not to be underestimated, but mastering one's own mind does not alter external factors. Thinking positive thoughts will not make positive things happen; you may be more attentive to them but that's all.

Cheers,

D.

"the law of attraction states...." Can you tell me where this law is written, and who wrote it, so I can go read what else it states?

I do believe our thoughts affect the outcomes of our lives, but not because things are "meant to be" or that we are drawn to opportunities because of our vibrational energies... Instead, I am a firm believer in random coincidence, and the fact that we take actions and make choices hundreds - thousands - of times every day in response to these random events - big and small - that life throws at us. Our thoughts and feelings definitely affect our choices and other peoples' perceptions of us, so they do, indeed, have a powerful effect on our lives.

But I don't believe fate delivers us opportunities according to our internal energies; I believe we behave and respond to life's unpredictable randomness according to our internal energies.

So your thoughts and feelings supposedly give out some sort of vibrational frequency that matches up with another vibration bringing it into your life. Kind of sounds like bull**** to me...

I agree, it does sound that way.

...but i do believe that your thoughts are very powerful, to you at least.

I agree here, too, in the context that I explained above. Your path through life is all about making choices at every moment, taking advantage - if you can - of the positive opportunities that randomly come along, and avoiding - if you can - the pitfalls when they come.

...you need to believe and allow some higher power to bring what you desire to you. And that power could be anything from god to the universe to your own subconsious mind. You think they could they all just be the same thing??

Yes I do. I think they are all different ways that we try to attach some bigger meaning to an existence filled with otherwise inexplicably random occurrences, from the good (like meeting someone by chance at a restaurant and falling in love) to the bad (like getting run over as you step outside the restaurant to cross the street after the meal.)

I think the "law of attraction" does work to attract money to the pockets of people who write books about the law of attraction.

re:

Dahling: "Law of Attraction"

As I’ve said before, there’s nothing wrong with positive thinking –but I think there’s a lot more to understand about the dynamics of why we succeed or why we fail in certain things, in regards to whatever “eyeglasses” we happen to be viewing things through.

Despite my personal experiences and what I have come to think or believe because of them, I'm still a skeptic when it comes to -as Moai often says,"magic"- in relationship to things just happening because someone thinks it.

I, rather, lean towards the belief that the mind or the thought, itself, in specific, various ways is at once busy creating all phases of the outcome of whatever positive (or negative) things that potentially can or do occur -a.k.a. preparing an “initiative”, an “agenda/reason” or some sort of “foundation” for the action of "doing", or reacting on the thought.

I think the negative side has to be considered and weighed, at first –but then put aside (forced aside) and only the positive focused upon.

To me, that takes more courage than anything.

It requires a person having, at least, some degree of higher reasoning ability.

And it is very often the result of what may seem like sudden inspiration from some source –you or someone or something you have had contact with in some way (or read about, heard about, etc.), or some event.

Certainly, inspiration has to be there.

But -I think- it’s more like you already know the positive direction/deeds that you want to be heading/doing but you’re just waiting for the right person,thing, circumstance, or idea to kick it into gear for you, spark or inspire you to act.

I think you are driving your own desires all along –you just needed someone or something to mirror your aspirations, and cheer you onward.

And I think you can expect the greatest success when you receive your support, encouragement, and inspirational cheers from those who love you deepest and best.

(Smile)

-Rio

I very much believe in 'visualization' it works for me. I am not into any kind of 'new age' books..etc but it seems that positive thinking or just plain visualization works for me.

to Trimmer:

I think the "law of attraction" does work to attract money to the pockets of people who write books about the law of attraction.

I totally agree but not just for writers... ha-hem... ;) LOL

I agree with Lizzie.

True story:

When I was around 12 or 13, I read in cosmopolitan magazine (I was flipping through it for the pics of women, especially the spicy ads in the back) I noticed an article on visualation, where you visualize yourself achieving your goal.

Well, that same day I went to the arcade (Gadgets to be exact) and they had the Buck Rogers game, which I could never beat the last level. So using what I learned, I visualized myself doing it.

I played it and VIOLA! I did it! Without losing a ship to boot!

So there is something to be said about visualation.

I don't know about all this 'law of attraction' business.

I agree that a positive good energy is attractive. I do find that when you are in a good place it can inspire others to act in kind.

However, be careful of those...vampires. They like to feed off that good energy you give off. There is no recriprocation.

I have often mused that I can sometimes be a flame to dysfunctional moth people.

Ideally I guess, you want to be a good energy flame and attract another good energy flame. Then start a fire or desire that can burn eternal.

Just remember to pack the garlic and wooden stakes for the journey.

i'm guessing that the "law of attraction" goes hand in hand with the secret, right?

i don't really understand the popularity of that particular book. it's really nothing. at least, nothing new. thousands of books with ideas similar, if not exactly the same, to it have been published thousands of times in the history of humanity.

this book, its ideas, and its "laws" are no different than any other literary effort that recycles old ideas and passes them off as their own. my guess is that the only reason why this book is such a hit, thus prompting people to scurry about, believing they have found the ultimate "secret" to living a life which you can control everything in it through your (positive) thoughts, is because the book is pretty. seriously.

has anyone actually seen the book, in person? it's genius. it looks like and ancient beautiful grimoire. the ideas in this book can be extremely mystical, to the extent where they claim that your thoughts will attract other similar thoughts, hence the "law of attraction." given that, how is the average person not going to want to buy this book and believe its writings given its aesthetics: the worn cover, the cryptic title, and the pages that make you feel as though you are truly reading something arcane?

the only thing that makes this book different, really, is that the design of the book makes it so that it truly looks like it does hold the secret, when in fact it doesn't.

the "law of attraction" is another recycled idea that can be traced back to very ancient times. this same idea, albeit in slightly different forms, can be found in many other new age books, so it's not anything new.

what is the secret? that there is a universe out there willing to help those who help themselves? that is the fundamental theory behind the "law of attraction." it is also the fundamental concept that religion is founded on.

personally, i'm not a fan of this book or of its laws. while i admit that there are some truth to it, perhaps, by the way it is outlined, this theory can be very grim. an example would be rape: if you are a female and abide by this theory, if you happen to be brutally raped by a male, then according to this "law," you attracted such a happening onto yourself.

that doesn't sound all that great or plausible, imo. and i'd rather it not be.

I readily accept and agree with the idea the visualization has benefits. The part of the original premise I really disagree with is the idea that your outlook, your visualizations, your inner energy or 'vibrational frequency', have anything to do with affecting the opportunities and events that life brings before you.

Life delivers you opportunities, and that's where your control kicks in. If you have visualized yourself a happy, confident person with goals to persue, then I completely believe that can have an effect on the choices you make, the behaviors you exhibit, the skills you demonstrate (that last level of the video game...), and even how people respond to and perceive you. And that can become a positive spiral as well, because people who like you and are comfortable with you may bring you more and interesting opportunities, and so on.

But I've always railed against the kind of wistful "oh, if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be" or "everything happens for a reason..." lines of thought. I don't think there's some invisible hand out there rating each of our karma levels, measuring our inner energy frequencies, and deciding how to parcel out the good opportunities.

• Author
I very much believe in 'visualization' it works for me. I am not into any kind of 'new age' books..etc but it seems that positive thinking or just plain visualization works for me

Thats pretty much the same as the whole law of attraction thing. Visualizing that you already have what you want and focusing all your energy on that thought.

Life delivers you opportunities, and that's where your control kicks in. If you have visualized yourself a happy, confident person with goals to persue, then I completely believe that can have an effect on the choices you make, the behaviors you exhibit, the skills you demonstrate (that last level of the video game...), and even how people respond to and perceive you. And that can become a positive spiral as well, because people who like you and are comfortable with you may bring you more and interesting opportunities, and so on.

My thoughts exactly

This sounds like a page out of a metaphysics book. You have the power within you to change or create your own destiny. It's not new or even imaginative, just another spin on setting goals and following through.

I cannot say that I can find power within myself because I found it is not the case. I found there is a another being communicating with me: sometimes comfort, sometimes rebuke, sometimes calm me down, sometimes teach me. and this "another being" began to talk to me when I was in early twenties and showed me supernature things that I never saw before. then later I know this another being is Holy Spirit :love:

There is a book TRUE LIGHT that talk about many other religions as well as Christianity, talk about why this author who was former yoga praticer find true light. If you are interested, you can look it here

http://www.thetruelight.net/

A magnet cannot choose the metals that are drawn to it -it just attracts those that naturally cling because of their element.

A "magnet" with a brain -a human- attracts who he chooses in a very real sense when he "designs" himself (personality, edu, lifestyle, etc.) in a particular way.

And unfortunate -or "bad" things- can and do happen to everyone.

Some of those bad things we bring on ourselves through choices -others just smack into us as we're going about our merry own business -some other Law (of) is at work with that (Smile).

The Law of Attraction has its foundation in a proven theory -but I think some go to an awful lot of trouble to take it beyond the realistic boundaries that are proven (probably, like wwjd said, "to sell a book").

If I dared to believe every word of the book "The Secret" I'd have to fold right now and crawl deep into the darkest hole I could find and just wait to attract death (Smile) because I don't think I could live without having a reasonable amount of say-so in what/who I attract, along with a fairly good dose of the unexpected stuff of life -surprises, events, and twists and turns -both good and bad- of my oh-so-ordinary everyday life, made richer just because of them.

(Smile)

-Rio

I disagree with Trimmer as far as everything being thrown at us is random. For every action (that is thought out and decided and therefore acted upon) there is a reaction. You're not reading this randomly out of all the other billions of words on the internet, but intentionally. If you get in a car accident, there is a reason - drunk driver, someone bumping into yo or whatever. Nothing is random.

As for the law of attraction - if you think about taking a trip to Hawaii, you are not going to end up in Italy. Whatever you do is the result of the thoughts that are in your head. If you think you'll never amount to much, then you won't. If you think you will, then you will take the steps necessary to do so and you will end up more successful. And down the line for everything. At least that's what I like to credit my success to.

I disagree with Trimmer as far as everything being thrown at us is random. For every action (that is thought out and decided and therefore acted upon) there is a reaction. You're not reading this randomly out of all the other billions of words on the internet, but intentionally. If you get in a car accident, there is a reason - drunk driver, someone bumping into yo or whatever. Nothing is random.

Well, I must have stated my case incautiously then, because I didn't mean to imply that everything that happens is random. The point I was trying to distinguish is that the opportunities and events that life presents to us are not distributed out preferentially by some force that decides who "lives clean," who has "good karma," etc.

Of course everything happens for a reason. I have a background in physics, so even a brick breaking off the side of a building and hitting you in the head has a suite of reasons, all the way from the microscopic level up to simple gravitational "attraction" (y=y0-1/2gt^2, for v0 = 0.) My point about randomness is that who that brick hits is random, and is not based on the positivity or negativity of the lucky recipient's thoughts thoughts. If a guy gets hit and taken to the emergency room where he meets a cute nurse and eventually starts a relationship, someone will look at the situation and say "oh, you see, everything happens for a reason!" That's BS. He just randomly happened to be the person under the brick when it fell. And yes he was there, at that time, for a host of various reasons, but fate did not guide him there and release the brick to hit him at the right instant...

So my reaction against the "everything happens for a reason" mantra isn't because I believe that "everything is random," it's that this phrase is too often used to mean "this event happened preferentially to you for a particular reason that fate/God/Zeus/whomever has in store for you, based on your prior mental state/vibrational frequency/karma," and this I do not believe.

So whether you are confronted with a dangerous traffic situation tomorrow has nothing to do with the relative positive or negative thoughts you carry around. Your mental makeup and state do potentially have a lot to do with the outcome of that situation. If you are alert and focused, and have practiced good driving skills (maybe you have visualized various difficult traffic scenarios, and considered possible defensive reactions) there is a better chance that you will be able to see and avoid an accident, relative to someone who is preoccupied, has poor driving skills, etc. Not a guaranteed insurance against an accident - bad things do still happen "at random" to good people - but a better chance.

Yes, your mental state absolutely does affect the outcomes of the situations with which life presents you, but who life throws it's quirks at moment by moment (yes, all of which do happen "for a reason") is generally random. Be alert and ready to act on the good ones, be aware and ready to recognize and avoid the bad ones, and your mental and emotional abilities can indeed help you towards a positive outcome.

As for the law of attraction - if you think about taking a trip to Hawaii, you are not going to end up in Italy. Whatever you do is the result of the thoughts that are in your head. If you think you'll never amount to much, then you won't. If you think you will, then you will take the steps necessary to do so and you will end up more successful. And down the line for everything. At least that's what I like to credit my success to.

I agree, and I think this is completely consistent with what I have said.

Note that most of my comments so far were reactions to the kind of cosmic "law of attraction" based on the hand of fate guiding things, and that's where my comments about random opportunities and events came from. But I'm not saying that everything that happens to you is a reaction to external events; I also firmly believe that people with the right outlook go out and not only effectively recognize and take advantage of these external "random" events around them, but also actively create opportunities, and forge their own success by their own force of will.

Bottom line in all of this: I don't believe that moment to moment, the hand of fate preferentially guides good opportunties to the chosen ones, and conversely smites "negative people" with obstacles, based on their mental states, energies, or karma.

I believe everything happen for a reason. People ignore what happens in their life, I mean they don't connect those events with another, they think one thing is one thing, have nothing to do with another event. It is like we use microscope to watch cell, if we don't see the original thing by eyes, we have no idea where the cell belongs, what part the cell consist of the body. If we use telescope, we know that even big earth is just a part of something. Same as events in our lives. when we connect them, we can see how God works in our lives.

Negative people and positive people difference is that they have different PERSPECTIVE how to approach life, not that they have so much different 'fate'. But positive thinking do bring positive result, more desirable 'fate'. It is like if same thing happen to a negative person and a positive person, the negative person will complain and whine, but positive person will appreciate and learn. because of their attitude they will bring different result into their life.

Even so with positive thinking, human being cannot control everthing by their own will. Can human being control where the wind go? can human control when earthquake will happen? can human being stop storm? can human being predict acident?

As many other believers do, I also believe and see prayer can change things dramaticly. we cannot change things, but after we pray and communicate with God, we can see things change.

So my reaction against the "everything happens for a reason" mantra isn't because I believe that "everything is random," it's that this phrase is too often used to mean "this event happened preferentially to you for a particular reason that fate/God/Zeus/whomever has in store for you, based on your prior mental state/vibrational frequency/karma," and this I do not believe.

Hi, this applys to everyone. If we obey God's commandments, we are protected by God; if we disobey God's commandments, we suffer the consequences. It is like gravity, we don't see it but we are controlled by it. Same as God's laws. for example, if a person commit adultery, he will suffer for it. many people don't believe it, try to rebel, well, they have to accept the result after it.

God said "forgive your enemy", if someone offended us, if we don't forgive them, burden is really OURS, not our enemy's

God said "love your neighbor as yourself", if we don't abide by it, you know what result will follow

Many people suffer so much because they are so wide open for bad consequences to enter their door. They don't know what God's laws, what God requires them to do, they don't know negative forces can ruin them just as bad as possible. they don't know how to guard themselves with words and power of God

They are under so many bondages. bondage of all kinds of addiction; bondage of sin; bondage of idoletry (men and women worship their loved one, for the sake of "love" they endure abuse and disrespect); bondage of other people's opinions; bondage of medias influence....in a word bondage of this world

only God's power and words can set them free

Of course everything happens for a reason. I have a background in physics...

Then you say

So you are saying you believe everything happens for a scientific reason only?

So whether you are confronted with a dangerous traffic situation tomorrow has nothing to do with the relative positive or negative thoughts you carry around. Your mental makeup and state do potentially have a lot to do with the outcome of that situation. If you are alert and focused, and have practiced good driving skills (maybe you have visualized various difficult traffic scenarios, and considered possible defensive reactions) there is a better chance that you will be able to see and avoid an accident, relative to someone who is preoccupied, has poor driving skills, etc. Not a guaranteed insurance against an accident - bad things do still happen "at random" to good people - but a better chance.

I don't think you get it yet but most people don't. You see, if you are really against being in traffic, and in your head refuse to be in one, the thing is that you WON'T be in one to begin with so everything you wrote above about how to DEAL with it once you're in it is really obsolete and not the point about this whole way of thinking. You won't put yourself traffic if you don't want traffic. That's part of the secret and it works once you 'get' it.;)

Bottom line in all of this: I don't believe that moment to moment, the hand of fate preferentially guides good opportunties to the chosen ones, and conversely smites "negative people" with obstacles, based on their mental states, energies, or karma.

I have to disagree with you on that. For every action there's an equal reaction. What goes around comes around. If not in this lifetime then in the next but it will happen so don't think you can get away with anything.

I believe everything happen for a reason. People ignore what happens in their life, I mean they don't connect those events with another, they think one thing is one thing, have nothing to do with another event. It is like we use microscope to watch cell, if we don't see the original thing by eyes, we have no idea where the cell belongs, what part the cell consist of the body. If we use telescope, we know that even big earth is just a part of something. Same as events in our lives. when we connect them, we can see how God works in our lives.

Negative people and positive people difference is that they have different PERSPECTIVE how to approach life, not that they have so much different 'fate'. But positive thinking do bring positive result, more desirable 'fate'. It is like if same thing happen to a negative person and a positive person, the negative person will complain and whine, but positive person will appreciate and learn. because of their attitude they will bring different result into their life.

That was very well said.

Even so with positive thinking, human being cannot control everthing by their own will. Can human being control where the wind go? can human control when earthquake will happen? can human being stop storm? can human being predict acident?

People have the ability to control what is in their OWN lives, not outside. They can't control how someone thinks or acts, or how the wind blows, but they have complete control over their own actions and what and who they have in their lives, how others treat them and so on.

I dont believe in the "law of attraction". It's just another marketing ploy/term used to sell videos and books to the general public. I even once saw a video of it on the web that made this "law of attraction" concept look so complicated, when in fact it isnt.

But what I do believe in is having the proper state of mind, willingness to learn and achieve, and enthusiasm to reach your desired goals, whether it's short-term or long-term. And I do believe in karma - there exists good and bad.

In a sense you can compare it to the extremes of pessimism, realism, and optimism. The pessimist has a dim/negative outlook on life, they may even possess the state of mind that they are victims of their environment and have no control over their own lives. The (middle) realist, accepts things for the way they are and they are neither pessimist nor optimist, they are neutral. The optimist has a positive outlook on life, they possess the mindset that they have control over their own lives and that things happen for a reason - basically they dont let small obstacles on the road hinder them from the grander picture or scheme in life, while the pessimist often does.

While pessimism and optimism are mindsets. Either of the 2 are prone to changing and fluxuating based on internal and external influences. But often the cases I've seen of the 2 generally remain constant.

In the end, it is all about determination and how well you face obstacles in life - Do you give up easily or take it as a lesson learned and keep going for the goal?;)

• 2 weeks later...

OP --

If you are looking for some reading material on the idea you are talking about I'm going to recommend just about anything written by reality-enthusiast Jane Roberts. She published a collection of books in the seventies about the subject matter that the 'Law of Attraction' comes from.

On the LOA itself -- in my view, it is a very amateur way of simplifying a greater idea. From several sources it reads like a pep-talk on the power of positive thinking. You can get that from just about any self-help book on the market today. I see no harm in trying to apply it to your everyday life because at worst you would think and feel more positively about your scope of reality. But if you really want to understand where it comes from so that you can judge its validity/applicability, do go to a better source of information than the internet or 'documentaries' intended for the general public.

Peace,

axisdenied

I've been reading up on the law of attraction and applying it into my own life lately. Basically, your thoughts create your reality. Like attracts like. Everyone and everything has an energy or vibration. So your thoughts and feelings supposedly give out some sort of vibrational frequency that matches up with another vibration bringing it into your life. Kind of sounds like bull**** to me, but i do believe that your thoughts are very powerful, to you at least. Subconsiously and consiously. Like when youre walking across a wooden board 20 ft up in the air, you would have trouble walking and ultimately fall due to your fear of heights and your thought of falling. But if you were to walk across a wooden board just some inches off the ground, you'd have no trouble at all. See what i mean? i dont know if thats a good enough analogy. But i'm a firm believer in that if you could just 'control' your mind, your thoughts, you could accomplish a lot.

And another thing. The law of attration states that you need to believe and allow some higher power to bring what you desire to you. And that power could be anything from god to the universe to your own subconsious mind. You think they could they all just be the same thing??

Whether it's true or not, it seems to be working for me. It could just be the fact that im forcing myself to believe that im happier therefore making me happy... but isnt that what the law of attration states anyways?

Yes you can control your thoughts. Good example BTW with the wooden board.

If you think positive, positive things will happen. If you think negative, negative things will happen. If you think you can do it you can and if you can't, you won't. Simple ticking the mind to believe what you want because a certain part of the mind (ego) will always prove it's right no matter what you feed it. Give it negative, proves it's right in a negative way and so forth.

There's a book I just finished reading about using the Subconcious mind and I do find it a little over the top in terms of Law of Attraction but it does a decent job at explaining it from that point of view.

I have to disagree with you on that. For every action there's an equal reaction. What goes around comes around. If not in this lifetime then in the next but it will happen so don't think you can get away with anything.

I think we can probably agree on what we disagree about. I understand what you are saying, but I think your use of the "action/reaction" thing is a misappropriation of a real, physical law into a bumper sticker saying attempting to fit it to the realm of emotional interactions and "fate." Are you telling me that for every good I do, there is some equal and opposite evil being done somewhere? And the more good I do, the more evil is done in reaction? Equal and opposite - that's how the "law" reads; is that what you are claiming?

My other point is that even if you were to do a strict reading of this "law", thinking is not an action. That's my whole point. I totally accept and agree that what you think affects your own future behavior, and your behavior affects what goes on around you, but by themselves, your thoughts do not affect the external world until you, yourself act on them.

To wrap it back around to the original topic, that's the basis of my not believing in this "law of attraction" that says that simply believing will bring what you desire to you. I think the mechanism of any such success is ultimately your own behavior.

Just sharing my opinion and my belief. Not saying it should be yours...

My other point is that even if you were to do a strict reading of this "law", thinking is not an action. That's my whole point. I totally accept and agree that what you think affects your own future behavior, and your behavior affects what goes on around you, but by themselves, your thoughts do not affect the external world until you, yourself act on them.

Trimmer, I agree that it is not a matter of simply thinking that brings results. Action is a big component in the equasion. What I'm not getting is why people who saw the movie or read/listened to other info on the subject of The Law of Attraction, didn't get the point that action is also required? Take as an example, all those very successful people who write books on the subject and those who made the movie certainly were not sitting on their behinds while everyone else in their circle did all the work needed to succeed.

nancyleeh

to a degree from what I understand of the concept of "law of attraction" some of it is definetly true, cant hurt to be posotive, and give off good vibrations definetly more atractive then the oposite.