which church to join?

I was raised Catholic. However I haven't practiced in years.

It may sound selfish but I believe God through its missionaries can help me overcome some of the obstacles I've encountered lately.

However I'm open to exlore something different .... Please share with me your good or bad experiences with certain church/denomination. Thanks

you know how the Catholic Church offers adult RCIA classes for people interested in learning more about Catholicism? Check your local paper or phone directory to see if other churches do something similar, you'll get a better handle on what their beliefs are and how they minister in the community.

or find a non-denominational group that offers a ministry (food pantry, nursing home visits, etc) and get involved with them – chances are you'll meet people from all different faith backgrounds you can ask about their churches, maybe even get invited to attend a service, though you usually can just go anyway.

or, if you've been away from the Catholic Church for years, maybe consider an RCIA class ... you'd be amazed at how different things are, even as the basics stay the same.

• Author

or find a non-denominational group that offers a ministry (food pantry, nursing home visits, etc) and get involved with them – chances are you'll meet people from all different faith backgrounds you can ask about their churches, maybe even get invited to attend a service, though you usually can just go anyway.

thanks for the advice ... do you happen to know how do I find a "non denominational group"? I rather attend to a service that has been recommended to me instead of just picking something from the phone book.

Are these obstacles something that your friends and family can't help you with?

Why do you think you sound selfish?

just go to the yellow pages and look under churches – non-denominational and try a service there. Usually there are ushers or greeters who notice that you're new, esp. if it's a smaller congregation, and will invite you for the after service coffee or meal or X event. You might also see if they've got a bulletin that list upcoming events you might be interested ...

not exactly someone issuing an invitation, but I don't really know of anyone who goes out recruiting church members, except the Baptists here where I am!

i have be going to the same church my whole life so i would have no idea what to tell except this: you need to find a place that you are comfortable with and dont feel pressured by ANYTHING.

people worship the Lord in the their own way. find what's right for YOU.

Take a biology class. Watch some pograms on the Universe. Read some Sartre. Read anything by Sam Harris.

If you feel you must join a church, the Unitarians are pretty cool. You might like Methodism as well.

I would avoid he more charismatic Christian faiths, like Pentecostal churches, given your background.

• Author
Are these obstacles something that your friends and family can't help you with?

Why do you think you sound selfish?

my friends and family are very supportive, however I need to find some strength within myself. one can only complain so much :mad: I've made some mistakes lately that probably wouldn't have happened if I had God in my life.

• Author
Take a biology class. Watch some pograms on the Universe. Read some Sartre. Read anything by Sam Harris.

If you feel you must join a church, the Unitarians are pretty cool. You might like Methodism as well.

I would avoid he more charismatic Christian faiths, like Pentecostal churches, given your background.

Moai ... I grew up in communist country so I know all about Darwin's theory .... not interested

your comment was uncalled for :(

sorry, i wasn't trying to be offensive. i don't think there is anything wrong with the peace corps.

i think that they are similar to missionaries in that they travel to less fortunate regions of the world in order to try to help. imo, missionaries are really something; i don't think many have the dedication that they do.

the only draw back i see is that often, while traveling through different lands, you will encounter people of different faiths, which can make can be difficult. some people just need help building a good foundation for their lives so that they may be able to live a better, more stable one; not everyone needs a certain kind of religion.

with the peace corps, you give them that help without really offering a religious perspective, and i think that is a wonderful thing.

so, no, i wasn't trying to be a jerk. i was just offering a different outlet.

I've made some mistakes lately that probably wouldn't have happened if I had God in my life.

people always make mistakes. if we didn't, we'd be perfect, and there is no such thing as a perfect human. to chalk up mistakes to god is not good because god is not controlling nor evil. he does not make our decisions and he does not purposely punish us.

everything we do is a consequence of our or someone else's actions. it's not god trying to be mean--he is not mean. and god does not ever leave your side because god is inside all of us.

if you start going to a church you will be no closer to god than if you open your heart and start living your life in different, more godly, way.

Moai ... I grew up in communist country so I know all about Darwin's theory .... not interested

Really? Which country?

I wasn't suggesting that understanding biology is a substitute for religion, but I personally think that it does help in weeding out the more radical faiths, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...
SierraMarie

Perhaps you should pray to God and ask him to guide you to a church. :)

You don't have to go to church to have God in your life, necessarily, but you should do it eventually. It will bring you closer to God.

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps you should pray to God and ask him to guide you to a church. :)

You don't have to go to church to have God in your life, necessarily, but you should do it eventually. It will bring you closer to God.

The best way I agree. I'm suprised that nobody has invited you to visit them at their home church.

I would say start with your childhood church, if something feels wrong about the theology or just the order of the service start branching out even by yourself. I would suggest doing a quick study of the denomination, you are on the net afterall, before visiting. It is easy to fall into a cultish church where they literally lock the doors, take attendance and won't let you out unless you awnser their alter call.

You can get a light pop history, Complete Idiots/for Dummies or I had the Unauthorized Guide to Choosing a Church to help with your pre-education.

The thing about nondenominational is that they can be anything from charismatic to non-Christian. In many cases the only difference will be is that there is no Bishop or other type of supervisor watching over the senior Pastor's shoulder as a check and balenc to him/her.

my friends and family are very supportive, however I need to find some strength within myself. one can only complain so much :mad: I've made some mistakes lately that probably wouldn't have happened if I had God in my life.

I doubt that. People make mistakes regardless of whether god is in their lives.

Darwinism isn't the exclusive domain of Communist countries. Darwinism is one of the cornerstones of modern biological science.

Moai is right though, having some biological knowledge (whether you believe in biology or not) helps you have a more rounded background on which to base your decisions.

Moai and I are both atheists, yet have you noticed neither of us are trying to convert you to our way of thinking, just offering you a different perspective.

If going to church is what you want, then by all means do it. But as another poster says, find one that makes you happy and comfortable.