Lack of Motivation and more...[Kinda long]

I posted here before about my lack of motivation for school. It has only become worse and I just need to talk about this whether or not anyone listens.

I changed my major in hopes of sparking a new interest in school, but it hardly worked; if anything it had a negative effect. I basically failed every class this quarter because I just had no interest or motivation to go to class. I even tried and online class, and it was just impossible for me to care about it, I would log on to it and just stare at it and do nothing. Perhaps school is not for me, but it doesn't seem to be my option. If I would drop out or fail my parents would probably kick me out of my house. I don't have enough money to support myself.

I have been having chronic headaches due to the stress of life (I went to a doctor about this, his only solution was to have more stress :rolleyes:).

I have been feeling really depressed lately as well. I have an amazing girlfriend who loves me and would do anything with me, but I don't really have anyone else. I have a few friends from high school that I hang out with during the summer, but we split when they go back to college. I don't really have any friends at college, sometimes I make temporary friends within the small few weeks that I have a class with them, but then I never see them again. It is hard for me to make a commitment because I don't live near the college like they do. My best friend of my whole life moved 3000 miles away a few years ago, it didn't effect me greatly at the time, but now it's starting to hurt and i'm feeling lonely. Life feels like a deadend, not much seems to matter. I don't care about much and I think everything is stupid.

I know this is not the place to be seeking help for depression and what not, but i'm just looking for some guidance and who I should talk to about this.

Well, nobody's answered yet so I'll give it a shot.

You don't say how old you are, but I'll guess early 20's tops. Have you ever sat down and seriously looked at what you want to do with your life? Not what your parents think you should be doing, but what you want to do? Perhaps you lack motivation for school because it's not your idea to be there.

The best counselling I ever got was vocational counselling, one-on-one, with tests and everything to figure out where my interests lie. Once I figured out exactly what I wanted to do, I was totally motivated to get there. This could be what you need.

When I don't feeling like doing homework, an assignment, going to school or whatever, I think about the person I want to be, the things I want to do and achieve in life (a glamorous kind feminist doctor who travels the world helping the needy usually comes to mind:D ) and I'm like "this isn't so hard to do". You need to find something that sparks your interest, and think about what you want to do and who you want to be.

There's also the scare tactic that gets me off my ass aswell, that if I don't do this piece of home work I'll somehow end up as one of those hobo's who sleep outside of the museum.

Good luck to you.

• Author
Well, nobody's answered yet so I'll give it a shot.

You don't say how old you are, but I'll guess early 20's tops. Have you ever sat down and seriously looked at what you want to do with your life? Not what your parents think you should be doing, but what you want to do? Perhaps you lack motivation for school because it's not your idea to be there.

The best counselling I ever got was vocational counselling, one-on-one, with tests and everything to figure out where my interests lie. Once I figured out exactly what I wanted to do, I was totally motivated to get there. This could be what you need.

Yeah, i'm 20, and you're right... It's not really my idea to be there. My parents are all over me about graduating and going to a good college and what not. They don't really even know my skill level of design and my mom doesn't really even understand what I want to do. I want to just go out there and try and get a job based on my portfolio now and what not, but I can't do that because i'm all tied up in school. I love design and graphic design and the field I chose to be in, but I just don't think the school is worth the time or money, it all seems redundant.

As far as seeing myself as what I want to be, I do that, but it doesn't motivate me in school at all. I don't feel I need the instruction anymore, I nearly completed my design degree when I got fed up learning photoshop tools in my final quarters.

I don't know, it's a tough thing to confront my parents about. Schooling just seems like the "safe" thing to do. Too confusing, I am taking next quarter off to figure out what i'm going to do, with or without their permission I suppose. :confused:

Hi east wind, taking sometime off is good. We all need a break to help us heal and figure out things in life. Life is really basically up to your decision and what you see is fit.

i went to college myself, I found it really boring. What helped me a lot was taking this class on how to be successul in college. One thing I learned was that if you find a subject boring, try to make it interesting by relating it to other topics that is happening in your life. It really helped me get my As. Easy said than done, took me a lot of practice.

i hope you are doing better. One quarter is only 3 months right, what do you plan to do during this time period?

• Author

Yeah, one quarter is 11 weeks. I plan on working a lot more and making some extra cash and having a little fun of course.

However, i'm quite freaking out now though. I have a very low gpa and i'm currently not enrolled, I can't even come back until Winter, which is essentially what I wanted to do, but i'm close to being kicked out of school. My dad was calling to check insurance papers, and that's what they told him, so when I get home today he is going to kill me. I don't want to dissapoint my parents, my mom will get yelled at from my dad for not being on me for going to class, and my dad is going to kill me. I don't know what to do, I just... don't know. I don't think they will kick me out or anything, but i'm hating my life and myself right now, it's not going well. :(