RARRR I hate PMS! RANT RANT RANT

Yikes, I am like a sweet happy optimistic girl who loves my life and all the things and people in it most weeks out of the year, but jeez, I hate PMS! I get so insecure and depressed. I should be studying for a test right now but I am all convinced that I am going to fail anyways and am having mini panic attacks. When I talk to my sweet as can be boyfriend on the phone, if he doesn't sound 100% infinitely excited to talk to me I think "oh great, it's over" even though he is joking with me and complienting me and telling me he loves me as usual. I usually send him lots of sweet/sexy e-mails during the week.... this week I sent a few and then thought "oh no, now he will think I am clingy!".... I am freaking out about all the things I need to do, I have about 10 work and personal phone calls I need to make, I keep forgetting to send in my electricity bill and I didn't work at all last week because of midterms... now I have my last midterm and I am freaking out because of PMS. I am all convinced that I will fail school even though this is my first quarter with grades and I will probably get a 3.0-3.5 and by the time I graduate I think I can have a 3.7. I want to go shopping today, which is wierd cuz I am not normally one of those people who thinks... I feel sad, lets go shopping....

Yes, all this wierd stuff is based in reality, but none of it is actually a big deal and PMS make all of these molehills feel like mountains.... AGGGGGGG.... don't ever listen to someone who says PMS isn't real, it is a chemical imbalance.... talking to friends who have chemical-related depression it seems like it feels the exact same way... you know that there is a reason for the way you feel (hormones during that time of month, starting a new medication with side effects, chemical imbalance) but it doesn't really help to take the edge off of what you feel.... ARG!

You have to not give in and let the PMS monster take over you. Think of it as a beast! To win and not let it take over your mind you have to be in control. TELL yourself it's just PMS and it will go away. You know that you're not insecure. You know that you WILL do well in the test! Convince yourself of these things and if it helps, write yourself positive notes so when you are feeling crummy, looking at them will make you feel better.

Don't beat up on yourself either, that's not good. It's normal and okay to feel what you are feeling but just don't give in. Fight it hard and distract yourself when you feel down and the thoughts turn negative.

Ooohhh, someone like me!! And here, I thought I was crazy. It sounds like you have PMDD {Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder}. I live with it once a month about a week before my period. Is your anxiety and insecurity coming before your period, or during your period? And do you feel fine once your period is over? It's kind of rare for women to have PMDD, but it exists. For about a year I couldn't figure out why I would get so weird the week before my period. With the same signs you described. I was anxious about things that I ddin't really need to be, I would worry, I became irritable. I noticed I would pick stupid fights with my boyfreind and then feel really bad about it. I couldn't seem to get a grip on it. I finally told my Dr., thinking he would not be able to help me. But, they discussed two possibilities for me.

1. A higher hormone birth control

2. Anxiety relief such as Xanax.

Also, Outcast is right. If it is not too severe, you can take vitamins or supplements.

So, you should talk to your Dr. about it. they can help you. one thing to be careful with though, is Xanax can become addictive. My Dr. did not put me on Xanax, I take Lorazepam, and I only need to take it when I feel that way, not everyday. Good Luck!

• Author

Thanks for the info, Alwayssure... I don't think what I have is quite as bad as what you are talking about, but sometimes it feels like it! For me PMS just puts a little bit of an edge on everything and when I am under a lot of pressure it really gets to me!!! On the bright side, I also have "up" swings, where I feel giddy and good without much reason...

I am on NuvaRing... in some ways it makes my PMS symptoms less bad, but I also wonder if it makes some worse...

I think I will try vitamins, though... I will check out my local co-op because they have lots of good natural remedies... I probably could even just find a PMS blend multivitamin or something... worth a shot to take that edge off!

Vitamin B and Primrose oil are excellent during PMS. Take a time out, have a cup of herbal tea in the bath. Get your boyfriend to give you a massage or do some yoga to get your mind relaxed and focused.

vitamins definetly help, but they take about 3 months to kick in. vitamin b, fish oil, iron and vitamin c, all of the amino acids and magnesium. expensive, but worth it. also agnus castus is supposed to be excellent, and the essential oil geranium.